Votes: 12 8.1%
  • Rainbow Dash

Votes: 31 20.9%
  • Rarity

Votes: 17 11.5%
  • Fluttershy

Votes: 35 23.6%

• Total voters
Also. I'm curious to know if I'm ever introducing someone to the series: which of the two parters would be best to show to a newcomer?

The pilot is good with introducing the characters, but not really that great overall.
A Canterlot Wedding has awesome songs, and is pretty epic.
Return of Harmony kinda balances the two out.

Nabber said:
Also. I'm curious to know if I'm ever introducing someone to the series: which of the two parters would be best to show to a newcomer?

The pilot is good with introducing the characters, but not really that great overall.
A Canterlot Wedding has awesome songs, and is pretty epic.
Return of Harmony kinda balances the two out.

It really depends on the person you're trying to get into the show. The pilot introduces the characters really well but does get kinda cheesy at times but at the same time I think the majority of Bronies were hooked or got them curious enough to see more that after a few more episodes they ended up liking it even more. Return of Harmony has a better plot but may not have much of an effect if people aren't familiar with the characters (Although I know it's convinced people like Smasher). And I think Canterlot Wedding should only be used as an introduction if the person had been a fan of some popular Disney films or something. And introducing someone that might be skeptical with a plot that centers around a wedding might not be that much of a good idea even with the awesomeness that happens in Part 2. And it also has the same problems as Return of Harmony is that won't have much of an effect if they're not familiar with the characters already. Twilight has the emotional song about her Brother in Part 1 but it happens so early in the episode that a casual person might not be invested even if they do like the song.

Canterlot Wedding would be my last choice of the 3 because simply it's much more awesome to see firsthand when you're already a fan of the show. The Pilot would actually be my first choice of the 3, but I understand that sometimes it doesn't get the best results. So Return of Harmony would be the back-up gambling on the hope that the conflict with Discord entertains one enough. (With no prior knowledge of any characters though it might backfire that the only character the person likes watching is Discord and is turned off when he's defeated)

I was thinking that with Return of Harmony, you kinda get the feeling for the characters in the beginning and then realize that they're turning into opposite versions of their personalities, so yeah it really depends on the person you're introducing it to.

Natsu "Salamander" Dragneel said:
Smashgoom202 said:
The only problem I had with the queen, is that she just came out of nowhere. No real backstory there. It was supposed to be surprising, but its kind of like what happened in that Yugioh movie, the 3D one. The bad guy wore a mask and he revealed his face and he was just some random villain that nobodies heard of. Same thing here.

But yeah, that's just my problem with it. You can yell at me for having my opinion now.
Well, except there, there was LITERALLY no point in wearing the mask, whereas here, she disguised herself to trick everyone into believing she was Cadence.

As to more backstory, I don't know WHAT they could have added to make it better WITHOUT dragging it out. We ARE talking about a two-part TV show, not a movie, so it's understandable that they had to cut some things out to make it all fit, but Chrysalis basically told us everything we needed to know; she's the Queen of a species of Changelings who feed off of love, so she disguised herself as Cadence so as to feed off of Shining Armor's love. Setting up who she was beforehand would have taken away the effect of the dramatic reveal, so...

Yeah, what exactly were you looking for? I'm not yelling at you, not at all, you're free to have your opinion, but I just want to understand where you're coming from. Not everyone who offers a counterargument is attacking you.

Although on this forum, I wouldn't be surprised you feel that way.

Okay, here's my reasoning. Nightmare Moon, we had a little backstory beforehand. Discord, had some backstory beforehand. Queen, popped out of nowhere.

Honestly, she might be a good Villian but I just didn't feel like she was very... Important.
Again, I think you're missing the point: if we DID get a backstory, it would have ruined the dramatic reveal of Cadence being a fake. Maybe they COULD have devoted more time to who she was or where her kind came from, but really, the episode told me all we really needed to know. Yeah, I guess maybe it would be nice to go into more detail, but you know, they have time restraints and they got out what was important, such as who she was and why she was doing it.

Besides, not every villain needs to be "important", whatever that means. They all don't need rich detailed backstories to be appealing. Not to mention, we've got an entire third season underway to possibly see her and the Changelings again, and go into more of their history.

Smashgoom202 said:
Smashgoom202 said:
The only problem I had with the queen, is that she just came out of nowhere. No real backstory there. It was supposed to be surprising, but its kind of like what happened in that Yugioh movie, the 3D one. The bad guy wore a mask and he revealed his face and he was just some random villain that nobodies heard of. Same thing here.

But yeah, that's just my problem with it. You can yell at me for having my opinion now.
Well, except there, there was LITERALLY no point in wearing the mask, whereas here, she disguised herself to trick everyone into believing she was Cadence.

As to more backstory, I don't know WHAT they could have added to make it better WITHOUT dragging it out. We ARE talking about a two-part TV show, not a movie, so it's understandable that they had to cut some things out to make it all fit, but Chrysalis basically told us everything we needed to know; she's the Queen of a species of Changelings who feed off of love, so she disguised herself as Cadence so as to feed off of Shining Armor's love. Setting up who she was beforehand would have taken away the effect of the dramatic reveal, so...

Yeah, what exactly were you looking for? I'm not yelling at you, not at all, you're free to have your opinion, but I just want to understand where you're coming from. Not everyone who offers a counterargument is attacking you.

Although on this forum, I wouldn't be surprised you feel that way.

Okay, here's my reasoning. Nightmare Moon, we had a little backstory beforehand. Discord, had some backstory beforehand. Queen, popped out of nowhere.

Honestly, she might be a good Villian but I just didn't feel like she was very... Important.
Again, I think you're missing the point: if we DID get a backstory, it would have ruined the dramatic reveal of Cadence being a fake. Maybe they COULD have devoted more time to who she was or where her kind came from, but really, the episode told me all we really needed to know. Yeah, I guess maybe it would be nice to go into more detail, but you know, they have time restraints and they got out what was important, such as who she was and why she was doing it.

Besides, not every villain needs to be "important", whatever that means. They all don't need rich detailed backstories to be appealing. Not to mention, we've got an entire third season underway to possibly see her and the Changelings again, and go into more of their history.

I know, but the reveal of her being a fake wasn't very convincing. I saw it coming from the first scene she was in. But I did already say its just me. and your counter-argument is starting to feel like an attack. Or more so is an attack. Anyway, maybe they couldve handled it better but its just a show and now i'm doing exactly what I hate. questioning a kids show.

Sorry if it sounded like I was attacking you. And I feel that you're right within your mind to question anything, even a kids show.

BTW I've started doing this thing where every day I can get to the Library I'm going to be watching 2 episodes (Or in the case of the 2-parters 4) a day. One from Season 1, the other from Season 2. I'm giving comparisons based on order of the episodes in which they aired. Other then that I will be naming what I really liked and also deciding which one I like best. In which I have a scoreboard for both seasons and I give a point depending what season the episode I give the edge to. I've already done the first 5 episodes.

The main site for it will be place in this thread on Equestria Forums

I have got started and I'll be giving my thoughts on each one. As I watched in this order: Mare in the Moon, Return of Harmony Part 1, Elements of Harmony, Return of Harmony Part 2.

First of which are the first parters. Seeing these again I remember how much I really like both. It was the first episode that actually hooked me with Twilight and it gave great introductions to the other characters as well. It gave me a sense of nostalgia seeing that first episode on Youtube once again.

However, Nostalgia isn't going to be a factor in this. Because after watching Return of Harmony, Part 1 again it was certainly better in my mind then the very first episode. To be fair, the Pilot was basically all introduction to the characters of the show. It does a great job of that. And I'll admit seeing it again I remember the feeling that made me a Brony in the first place. But, There's one thing that just instantly gives Part 1 of Return of Harmony the edge. And that's Discord. Seeing him again where he was at his most threatening and at the time was the most competent a villain had been in the Series just gives a huge edge for me.

If you're looking for the better intro episode. Then Friendship is Magic Part 1 wins, but seeing as this is a Brony view: Return of Harmony, Part 1 is just overall a better quality episode then the Pilot episode. First point goes to Season 2

Season 1: 0
Season 2: 1

With Part 2 it runs into similar things. In Part 2 of the Pilot, we see alot more of Nightmare Moon then with just the very end like in the first part. But Nightmare Moon was just no match for the pure awesome that Discord was in Part 2 of his thing. They both have the same ending with the Main 6 overcome their problems and defeat the villain using the Elements of Harmony. I found the whole conflict of Twilight trying to get her Discorded friends more interesting then the different things that the Ponies did in the Everfree forest. I like the little moments like "Tom", the Rainbow Dash chase, and Discord's Chaos throughout the whole thing. Pinkie's First Song, "Steven Magnet", and Twilight's heartwarming if a bit cheesy speech were all well and good too. But it's just not enough.

So all in all, this is a sweep for Season 2. I deem both parts of Return of Harmony better then their counterparts in the pilot. But I mean no disrespect to the Pilot in question. As without it, I wouldn't be the Brony I am today and perhaps the same for most of you. But in sure quality and entertainment value, Return of Harmony outclasses the Pilot. Another point for Season 2.

Season 2: 2

Alright time now for Ticket Master and Lesson Zero.

You know, I realized a few things. There's actually quite a few similarities between the 2 episodes. They're both Twilight-centric, Both have Celestia play a big role in some way (Albeit in Ticket Master offscreen), and they were important overall to their current seasons. Lesson Zero was far more important in changing the dynamic though that doesn't mean Ticket Master wasn't uninimportant to it's season either. Ticket Master is the first of the few episodes that contribute to what would be eventually the Season Finale with the Grand Galloping Gala.

On to the episodes themselves. For most Bronies, Ticket Master is the first taste of the Slice-of-Life style that the show would produce. And they did fairly well. And watching it again, I still enjoy moments like the Benny Hill chase near the end. And all of the other's reasons for wanting to go to the gala. It was just a good relatively simple episode. Another thing I loved about this was Twilight's attitude that wasn't at all different from how she was in the Pilot. Being sarcastic "No, really..." to Rarity telling her it's raining.

As for Lesson Zero though. It took a different (although IMO not necessarily bad) direction. With Twilight having her worries get the best of her while she overreacts to the punishment Celestia might give her (It makes me wonder if Twilight never liked Magic Kindergarten in the first place. If she was bullied at all, she took it better then Fluttershy did but is still susceptible to fear if she's not exactly in the right mind). The fact her friends wouldn't help even if they were small was just the breaking point. Lesson Zero personally was one of the funniest episodes of Season 2. Was Twilight's breakdown kind of over the top? Sort of, but nonetheless it was hilarious enough to make me openly laugh out loud during the whole sequence. So the entertainment value shot up high with this episode.
Beside's Twilight's own other characters had pretty neat parts to their own. Rarity's "Worst. Possible. THING.", Rainbow's Sonic Rainnuke and Sunglasses, Fluttershy taking down a bear (Even if for only chiropractic reasons), the Want It Need It spell scene, and of course Spike for warning Celestia beforehand. Not to mention this episode changes the formula from Season 1 from "Twilight has to write every letter" to "Everyone of the Main 6 (Plus occasionally the CMC) can write the letters" which I feel was very important.

Lesson Zero is by far one of the most memorable parts of Season 2. And while some may love it for the comedy and the entertainment value. I understand that some don't like it as much because they either thought Insane Twilight was over-the-top or Twilight's thoughts that she has to be perfect and her friends just laughing at her worries to make it all the more worse. But that's kinda exactly what they all learn at the end. Lesson Zero for not just the Comedy had a pretty good lesson and had a pretty heartwarming moment with Twilight, Celestia, and Spike near the end. It's importance in changing what was a status quo in Season 1 also tips it in it's favor. Ticket Master was all well and good, but in an overall scale I'm giving the point to Lesson Zero and thus that's 3-0 for Season 2

Season 2: 3

Alright today, I did Applebuck Season and Luna Eclipsed.

I think for every episode thing I'll try to point out a few similarities between the episodes as my first thing to say like what I did with Ticket Master/Lesson Zero. At first glance the 2 episodes are very different as it centers around 2 very different ponies. Applejack and Luna. However in both those episodes, Twilight plays a big sub-role in attempting to help them. Where she's a little more successful in Luna Eclipsed then she does for most of Applebuck Season. Other then that though it's really hard to come up with any more.

Now let's get down to buisness. Applebuck Season was the first shining example of the humor this show could produce. It gets very clever and for a first taste it's absolute perfection on the jokes. For some new Bronies, they liked the show throughout the first 3 episodes but weren't quite convinced it was the amazing show that everyone was praising. Until this episode arrived with crazy Applejack faces, hilarious moments that are still remembered. Favorite scenes of mine include when Applejack and Pinkie Pie make the "Baked Bads" and Applejack misintepretating what Twilight said. "YOU NEED TO WALK TO THE ZOO?! WELL WHO'S STOPPING YOU?". It's kinda sad that this was the only soley Applejack episode until mid-Season 2 as I felt this was a great episode even if didn't exactly help Applejack in the Best Pony discussions given how stubborn she was in her one sole episode.

Onto Luna Eclipsed. Alot of Bronies were hyped for this episode as soon as they knew Luna was going to play a major part of the episode. At the same time they were scared that the reveal of Canon Luna's real personality was going to cause a firestorm within the fandom as alot of the guesses of Luna were about to be jossed to the high heavens. Thankfully, it didn't turn out as bad as people thought it would. But enough about Luna, the actual episode was good. It played out like a nice little Halloween episode. And Luna herself was pretty great.. Some things do kinda urk me about the episode still like Pinkie's behavior. I know we find out she knew that Luna wasn't really going to do anything and was just running to be in the spirit. It still was rather a low blow to have someone like Luna think the entire town of Ponyville is still intimidated by her dark past. And Rainbow Dash didn't exactly help at the end either. That's not to say it entirely ruined the episode. The Luna meets Fluttershy scene was by far the funniest part of the episode.

It's kinda hard to say. But I gotta give this one to Applebuck Season. Don't get me wrong, I loved Luna Eclipsed like most Bronies have. But I think Applebuck Season just was more enjoyable to watch with laughs going on throughout most of the episode rather then only one scene that was really, really funny in Luna Eclipsed. I loved the costumes, Luna herself, and some moments. But it's just not enough to put it over the episode that gave us "Baked Bads", Applejack's Sleep-Deprived faces, and plenty more. This is Season 1's first point.

Season 1: 1

Ok, Today's episode watches was Griffon the Brush-Off and Sisterhooves social.

This is probably by far the most different episodes so far as there aren't many similarities. As a lesson about old friends and new friends are very different then one about Siblings. However they do have the same writer (Cindy Morrow) so that's something.

Griffon the Brush-Off was an absolute blast to see again. If only for that it was the early example of how crazy and random Pinkie is (Considering it's the very episode where Rainbow Dash says "Pinkie Pie! You're so random"). The best parts of this episode is Pinkie interacting with Rainbow Dash. Pranking Ponies, Using crazy ways to get to talk with her, etc. Bonus points for the Pepe Le Pew/Droopy like chase at the beginning of the episode. There is however one thing that kinda bugs me still and that's Gilda. I've just not been very fond of her at all. Granted that her jerkass tendencies were the whole point, but that doesn't necessarily mean I have to like it and think it as a positive to the episode. The Fluttershy scene didn't exactly help in the slightest. On the bright side though it makes the prank party at the end all the more worthwhile to see.

Now as for Sisterhooves Social. I also loved seeing that again. Both Rarity and Sweetie Belle are pretty top-notch and Applejack and Apple Bloom weren't bad either. The scene with Rarity's parents and Sweetie Belle making "breakfast" is still great. And it's funny to see whenever Sweetie says "help" it sounds like the exact opposite of it to Rarity. Though besides pretty funny they actually manage to produce some drama. It's sort of heartbreaking to see Sweetie Belle and Rarity seemingly break their sisterhood like that. Especially when Rarity starts regretting it not long after (Even more especially when she's tearing up at the picture Sweetie made of her and Rarity in an Arts and Crafts sort of thing). Now if it was just Rarity and Sweetie Belle in the episode. It'd be a good episode but not nearly dynamic enough. It's Applejack and Apple Bloom that actually gives it a little tip in this episode's favor. They provided an example of already co-operative sisters to Sweetie and what she thought was an alternative to being sisters with Rarity. It's then that the plan for the race with Rarity really sets things in motion. Applejack proves once again her dependability when she helps Rarity and Sweetie get back together through using a clever trick with the mud at the start of the race. And Rarity proved she'll run with mud over her if something very dear to her (In case a sisterhood with Sweetie Belle) is in danger. Also I can't help but laugh at Apple Bloom's "One. Day."

This was a real hard one. But I think I'm giving this one to Sisterhooves Social. I loved all the Pinkie Pie moments that came from Griffon the Brush-Off. But for the reason that I didn't really like Gilda even for the just desserts she got at the end. I felt Sisterhooves Social has more going for it in that it has the humor, it has the drama and heartbreak, and the major characters that were involved each had their own great moments to add to the episode. I also priortize Family lessons more then I do Friendship ones. Which might be just a personal preference. It's also good to note that Sisterhooves Social was the first episode in the series ever to not have Twilight at all in the episode. Which mean Lesson Zero immediately was making an effect. (I also have this headcanon that after having to deal with Discord, going insane, and having to help Luna she's had enough and needed a break like this haha).

Both are good/great episodes for one way or another. But on an overall matter, I enjoy Sisterhooves more then Griffon. Point goes to Season 2.

Season 2: 4

What will you be doing for the last two, given that Episode 25 in Season 1 was a single episode while Episode 25 in Season 2 was part of the finale?

Twist said:
What will you be doing for the last two, given that Episode 25 in Season 1 was a single episode while Episode 25 in Season 2 was part of the finale?

It will be Party of One V. Canterlot Wedding, Part 1 and Best Night Ever V. Canterlot Wedding, Part 2 then.

I like the idea, and I can't wait to see how the other comparisons go! :yoshi:

Also, I don't mean to abruptly change the subject, but I just wanted to bring this up so everyone knows. There's this guy who, ever month, compiles a list of "top ten Pony videos" voted by the community, and voting for the month of April just started:

To vote, simply post a comment on the above video listing your favorite pony-related videos released in April. You can have aminimum of 5 videos in your vote, and a maximum of 10. You can only vote ONCE, and be sure to use the EXACT title of the video. If you want to change your vote, simply delete your old comment and re-post a new one. PMVs, trailers, abridged, etc. ANYTHING goes with this.

VOTING ENDS 11:59 May 6!

Here's what I voted for:

Epic Wub Time: Musicians of Ponyville (nomorethan9)

MAGIC.MOV (HotDiggedyDemon)

EAT YOUR PEA, PINKIE PIE (MysteryBen27)

Cadence's origin (WhitehawkePAUNCH)

Flutterlicious - BlackGryph0n (christkids)

MLP Fighting is Magic Pinkie Pie theme (WhitetailMusic)

Dubstep Dishwasher (TheLivingTombstone)

Two Best Sisters Play Portal 2 (2Snacks)

New Ponyville (mirrorimage98)

Queen Chrysalis Foiled by the Power of Love (Kid15X)

Northern Verve said:
BTW I've started doing this thing where every day I can get to the Library I'm going to be watching 2 episodes (Or in the case of the 2-parters 4) a day. One from Season 1, the other from Season 2. I'm giving comparisons based on order of the episodes in which they aired. Other then that I will be naming what I really liked and also deciding which one I like best. In which I have a scoreboard for both seasons and I give a point depending what season the episode I give the edge to. I've already done the first 5 episodes.

The main site for it will be place in this thread on Equestria Forums

I have got started and I'll be giving my thoughts on each one. As I watched in this order: Mare in the Moon, Return of Harmony Part 1, Elements of Harmony, Return of Harmony Part 2.

First of which are the first parters. Seeing these again I remember how much I really like both. It was the first episode that actually hooked me with Twilight and it gave great introductions to the other characters as well. It gave me a sense of nostalgia seeing that first episode on Youtube once again.

However, Nostalgia isn't going to be a factor in this. Because after watching Return of Harmony, Part 1 again it was certainly better in my mind then the very first episode. To be fair, the Pilot was basically all introduction to the characters of the show. It does a great job of that. And I'll admit seeing it again I remember the feeling that made me a Brony in the first place. But, There's one thing that just instantly gives Part 1 of Return of Harmony the edge. And that's Discord. Seeing him again where he was at his most threatening and at the time was the most competent a villain had been in the Series just gives a huge edge for me.

If you're looking for the better intro episode. Then Friendship is Magic Part 1 wins, but seeing as this is a Brony view: Return of Harmony, Part 1 is just overall a better quality episode then the Pilot episode. First point goes to Season 2

Season 2: 1

With Part 2 it runs into similar things. In Part 2 of the Pilot, we see alot more of Nightmare Moon then with just the very end like in the first part. But Nightmare Moon was just no match for the pure awesome that Discord was in Part 2 of his thing. They both have the same ending with the Main 6 overcome their problems and defeat the villain using the Elements of Harmony. I found the whole conflict of Twilight trying to get her Discorded friends more interesting then the different things that the Ponies did in the Everfree forest. I like the little moments like "Tom", the Rainbow Dash chase, and Discord's Chaos throughout the whole thing. Pinkie's First Song, "Steven Magnet", and Twilight's heartwarming if a bit cheesy speech were all well and good too. But it's just not enough.

So all in all, this is a sweep for Season 2. I deem both parts of Return of Harmony better then their counterparts in the pilot. But I mean no disrespect to the Pilot in question. As without it, I wouldn't be the Brony I am today and perhaps the same for most of you. But in sure quality and entertainment value, Return of Harmony outclasses the Pilot. Another point for Season 2.

Season 2: 2

Alright time now for Ticket Master and Lesson Zero.

You know, I realized a few things. There's actually quite a few similarities between the 2 episodes. They're both Twilight-centric, Both have Celestia play a big role in some way (Albeit in Ticket Master offscreen), and they were important overall to their current seasons. Lesson Zero was far more important in changing the dynamic though that doesn't mean Ticket Master wasn't uninimportant to it's season either. Ticket Master is the first of the few episodes that contribute to what would be eventually the Season Finale with the Grand Galloping Gala.

On to the episodes themselves. For most Bronies, Ticket Master is the first taste of the Slice-of-Life style that the show would produce. And they did fairly well. And watching it again, I still enjoy moments like the Benny Hill chase near the end. And all of the other's reasons for wanting to go to the gala. It was just a good relatively simple episode. Another thing I loved about this was Twilight's attitude that wasn't at all different from how she was in the Pilot. Being sarcastic "No, really..." to Rarity telling her it's raining.

As for Lesson Zero though. It took a different (although IMO not necessarily bad) direction. With Twilight having her worries get the best of her while she overreacts to the punishment Celestia might give her (It makes me wonder if Twilight never liked Magic Kindergarten in the first place. If she was bullied at all, she took it better then Fluttershy did but is still susceptible to fear if she's not exactly in the right mind). The fact her friends wouldn't help even if they were small was just the breaking point. Lesson Zero personally was one of the funniest episodes of Season 2. Was Twilight's breakdown kind of over the top? Sort of, but nonetheless it was hilarious enough to make me openly laugh out loud during the whole sequence. So the entertainment value shot up high with this episode.
Beside's Twilight's own other characters had pretty neat parts to their own. Rarity's "Worst. Possible. THING.", Rainbow's Sonic Rainnuke and Sunglasses, Fluttershy taking down a bear (Even if for only chiropractic reasons), the Want It Need It spell scene, and of course Spike for warning Celestia beforehand. Not to mention this episode changes the formula from Season 1 from "Twilight has to write every letter" to "Everyone of the Main 6 (Plus occasionally the CMC) can write the letters" which I feel was very important.

Lesson Zero is by far one of the most memorable parts of Season 2. And while some may love it for the comedy and the entertainment value. I understand that some don't like it as much because they either thought Insane Twilight was over-the-top or Twilight's thoughts that she has to be perfect and her friends just laughing at her worries to make it all the more worse. But that's kinda exactly what they all learn at the end. Lesson Zero for not just the Comedy had a pretty good lesson and had a pretty heartwarming moment with Twilight, Celestia, and Spike near the end. It's importance in changing what was a status quo in Season 1 also tips it in it's favor. Ticket Master was all well and good, but in an overall scale I'm giving the point to Lesson Zero and thus that's 3-0 for Season 2

Alright today, I did Applebuck Season and Luna Eclipsed.

I think for every episode thing I'll try to point out a few similarities between the episodes as my first thing to say like what I did with Ticket Master/Lesson Zero. At first glance the 2 episodes are very different as it centers around 2 very different ponies. Applejack and Luna. However in both those episodes, Twilight plays a big sub-role in attempting to help them. Where she's a little more successful in Luna Eclipsed then she does for most of Applebuck Season. Other then that though it's really hard to come up with any more.

Now let's get down to buisness. Applebuck Season was the first shining example of the humor this show could produce. It gets very clever and for a first taste it's absolute perfection on the jokes. For some new Bronies, they liked the show throughout the first 3 episodes but weren't quite convinced it was the amazing show that everyone was praising. Until this episode arrived with crazy Applejack faces, hilarious moments that are still remembered. Favorite scenes of mine include when Applejack and Pinkie Pie make the "Baked Bads" and Applejack misintepretating what Twilight said. "YOU NEED TO WALK TO THE ZOO?! WELL WHO'S STOPPING YOU?". It's kinda sad that this was the only soley Applejack episode until mid-Season 2 as I felt this was a great episode even if didn't exactly help Applejack in the Best Pony discussions given how stubborn she was in her one sole episode.

Onto Luna Eclipsed. Alot of Bronies were hyped for this episode as soon as they knew Luna was going to play a major part of the episode. At the same time they were scared that the reveal of Canon Luna's real personality was going to cause a firestorm within the fandom as alot of the guesses of Luna were about to be jossed to the high heavens. Thankfully, it didn't turn out as bad as people thought it would. But enough about Luna, the actual episode was good. It played out like a nice little Halloween episode. And Luna herself was pretty great.. Some things do kinda urk me about the episode still like Pinkie's behavior. I know we find out she knew that Luna wasn't really going to do anything and was just running to be in the spirit. It still was rather a low blow to have someone like Luna think the entire town of Ponyville is still intimidated by her dark past. And Rainbow Dash didn't exactly help at the end either. That's not to say it entirely ruined the episode. The Luna meets Fluttershy scene was by far the funniest part of the episode.

It's kinda hard to say. But I gotta give this one to Applebuck Season. Don't get me wrong, I loved Luna Eclipsed like most Bronies have. But I think Applebuck Season just was more enjoyable to watch with laughs going on throughout most of the episode rather then only one scene that was really, really funny in Luna Eclipsed. I loved the costumes, Luna herself, and some moments. But it's just not enough to put it over the episode that gave us "Baked Bads", Applejack's Sleep-Deprived faces, and plenty more. This is Season 1's first point.

Ok, Today's episode watches was Griffon the Brush-Off and Sisterhooves social.

This is probably by far the most different episodes so far as there aren't many similarities. As a lesson about old friends and new friends are very different then one about Siblings. However they do have the same writer (Cindy Morrow) so that's something.

Griffon the Brush-Off was an absolute blast to see again. If only for that it was the early example of how crazy and random Pinkie is (Considering it's the very episode where Rainbow Dash says "Pinkie Pie! You're so random"). The best parts of this episode is Pinkie interacting with Rainbow Dash. Pranking Ponies, Using crazy ways to get to talk with her, etc. Bonus points for the Pepe Le Pew/Droopy like chase at the beginning of the episode. There is however one thing that kinda bugs me still and that's Gilda. I've just not been very fond of her at all. Granted that her jerkass tendencies were the whole point, but that doesn't necessarily mean I have to like it and think it as a positive to the episode. The Fluttershy scene didn't exactly help in the slightest. On the bright side though it makes the prank party at the end all the more worthwhile to see.

Now as for Sisterhooves Social. I also loved seeing that again. Both Rarity and Sweetie Belle are pretty top-notch and Applejack and Apple Bloom weren't bad either. The scene with Rarity's parents and Sweetie Belle making "breakfast" is still great. And it's funny to see whenever Sweetie says "help" it sounds like the exact opposite of it to Rarity. Though besides pretty funny they actually manage to produce some drama. It's sort of heartbreaking to see Sweetie Belle and Rarity seemingly break their sisterhood like that. Especially when Rarity starts regretting it not long after (Even more especially when she's tearing up at the picture Sweetie made of her and Rarity in an Arts and Crafts sort of thing). Now if it was just Rarity and Sweetie Belle in the episode. It'd be a good episode but not nearly dynamic enough. It's Applejack and Apple Bloom that actually gives it a little tip in this episode's favor. They provided an example of already co-operative sisters to Sweetie and what she thought was an alternative to being sisters with Rarity. It's then that the plan for the race with Rarity really sets things in motion. Applejack proves once again her dependability when she helps Rarity and Sweetie get back together through using a clever trick with the mud at the start of the race. And Rarity proved she'll run with mud over her if something very dear to her (In case a sisterhood with Sweetie Belle) is in danger. Also I can't help but laugh at Apple Bloom's "One. Day."

This was a real hard one. But I think I'm giving this one to Sisterhooves Social. I loved all the Pinkie Pie moments that came from Griffon the Brush-Off. But for the reason that I didn't really like Gilda even for the just desserts she got at the end. I felt Sisterhooves Social has more going for it in that it has the humor, it has the drama and heartbreak, and the major characters that were involved each had their own great moments to add to the episode. I also priortize Family lessons more then I do Friendship ones. Which might be just a personal preference. It's also good to note that Sisterhooves Social was the first episode in the series ever to not have Twilight at all in the episode. Which mean Lesson Zero immediately was making an effect. (I also have this headcanon that after having to deal with Discord, going insane, and having to help Luna she's had enough and needed a break like this haha).

Both are good/great episodes for one way or another. But on an overall matter, I enjoy Sisterhooves more then Griffon. Point goes to Season 2.

Season 2: 4
That's actually a pretty cool idea. I might do it with another show.

Okay, so I pretty much know that Party of One won't get a point, since it'll be Season 1's finest against Season 2's finest, and the latter has Twilight. :P

By the way, you know how Twilight was at first my least favorite? After Season 2 she's gone up to my second favorite of the mane cast. ;D

After thinking about the two-parter for almost a week, I've come up with one genuine piece of criticism for it. It's not really the fault of the writers, since it's a two-episode two-parter, making it's constrained to about 44 minutes, but I feel that, while I do like Shining Armor and Princess Cadence,
we never really see their relationship, how they got together or why they decided to get married. All we really know is that they both have connections to Twilight Sparkle and that they both deeply love each other, and that love is strong enough to drive off the Changelings from Canterlot... but we never really see them spend that much time together, and we don't get any insight about their relationship. This is bad, because it kind of loses our investment in seeing them get together in the end, even though we DO get to know them through Twilight's memories of them and seeing how they act on-screen. I'm going to hazard a guess and say that they intended to show what they were like together, but couldn't find any place in the two-parter to demonstrate that.

This is why I hope we see them again in season 3, maybe we can see their honeymoon, or even AFTER their honeymoon and seeing what their lives after which.

I'm sure we would of gotten more if this was a feature length movie. But with those time constraints, even if we got more of Shining and Cadance's relationship it would mean sacrificing focus on Twilight and/or the rest of the Main 6. Which might of been a bad move because the Main 6 is a huge reason we keep coming back for this show. It's not the only reason, but nonetheless it's really important the Main 6 remain the focus of the show and only occasionally put on the Wayside if an episode is done as a day in the limelight for Secondary characters like the CMC or family members of the Main cast.

Shining Armor and Cadance did good enough to be liked despite not having too much focus on their relationship. Which is a great accomplishment. Only the people who complain that they still came out of nowhere are saying bad things.

Eh, I felt that Shining Armor and Cadance seemed a bit flat as characters, even if they got some backstory. They still seem too generic fairy-tale.

Also, the more I think about it, the more I'm getting sick of Chrysalis. Sure, she looks cool, sounds cool, and has a great villain song, but I'm realizing that she's basically a simplified Ursula; an evil shapeshifter who wants to use the generic prince to conquer the sea/Equestria. Plus, she was defeated in a really anti-climactic way; before you say that they couldn't get away with a longer fight (which would imply a bit of violence), remember that Ursula died by being stabbed with a ship, and that still got away with a G rating.

Overall? I still loved the finale. Great songs, an overall decent villain, and quite a bit of fanservice (Spike playing with the figurines was an obvious shout-out, and of course we all ate up Luna and Vinyl), not to mention everything else which I like about the show.

And dear God I hated Tori Spelling. :P

In conclusion,

174761%20-%20spike%20Sweetie_Belle.jpg

Continuing the Comparison stuff.

Oh man. Boast Busters and Cutie Pox. I'm going to be honest in saying that this was actually the hardest decision yet. And in some ways deciding between the 2 is mainly going to be affected by 2 things: Whether you like Trixie or not, and whether you like the Cutie Mark Crusaders or not.

In comparison. There isn't really too much in they're similar. Both Snips and Snails make an apperence. Featured more heavily in Boast Busters. Also Apple Bloom technially shows off her multiple "talents" to the town of Ponyville kinda like Trixie though that's a bit of a stretch to call it a similarity between the 2 episodes. If you liked Trixie at all in Boast Busters you might as well give the point to Season 1. However the reason this is a hard one for me is I actually don't like Trixie that much and I'm also a bit iffy on Snips and Snails regarding what they basically do. At the same time I like the CMC. SO anyway let;s get into some details.

Boast Busters is of course a Twilight episode where she learns that showing your Talents doesn't always mean you're braggin about them. Which they use Trixie to be the character that shows off her talents and does brag about them. As much as Trixie was necessary in order for Twilight to learn her lesson that doesn't mean I ahve to like her for it. She's at least better then Gilda, but that's not saying much. My favorite parts of the episode (As if this wasn't a surprise) was alot of Twilight's parts of the episode. I like her strive for modesty and despite having pretty much being one of the most powerful Unicorns she doesn't go wagging it around in front of people's faces. What makes this episode all worth it though is Twilight using a lot of Magic power to lull the Ursa Minor to sleep and sending the huge baby bear back where it once was. It gievs you an idea on how talented Twilight really is and boy is she. Also the background music was wonderful during that scene. I may not like Trixie, but the episode is worth it just to see Twi do that.

Now as for Cutie Pox while eh... Apple Bloom doesn't really learn the huge lesson that Twilight and Zecora would hope she would there's a lot I enjoy from this episode. Something I kind of love is the continuty this brings from episodes like Bridle Gossip, a Season 1 episode that is among my favorites and of course earlier CMC episodes with Twist, Diamond Tiara, and Silver Spoon appearing. A good amount of funny parts with the opening Bowling scene, Pinkie confessing, Apple Bloom getting the French cutie mark, Twilight's mane getting rolled up to look like Rarity's (With accompanying Spike looking at her with Heart eyes... which spawned some hilariously creepy fanart and comics), and more. I also kinda liked seeing the Apple Family play that supporting role. Of course it was mainly Applejack more so then Big Mac and Granny Smith but at this point in Season 2 I was pretty happy to see some more Applejack. And the Cutie Pox sure was interesting and was pretty hilarious near the end.

Aggggghhhhhh, this was a very, very hard decison... but I'm going to give this one to the Cutie Pox. I liked Boast Busters but mainly for the scene at the end where Twilight defeats the Ursa Minor. I'm not that fond of Trixie, Snips, and Snails. And that really harms the episode's chances when you don't exactly like the new characters that appeared. I've never had too much of a problem with the CMC, and despite the very ending where we find out Apple Bloom was kinda faking the "Learned my lesson" sort of thing they were pretty good this episode. I also liked the return of Zecora and the nods to past episodes. Call it whatever you will that I picked Cutie Pox just because I don't like Trixie but like the CMC however you want. But by a nose I give this one to Season 2.

Season 2: 5

Got some heartwarming stuff plus the next episodic comparison today.

First of which is this vidoe where some of the singing talent of the Brony fandom got together to produced this singing of the Smile song. They teamed up with the Seeds of Kindness charity to raise $10,000 for a clinic in Uganda and Burundi for people living there. It's kinda like with what all the celebrities did with "We are the World" only these are Bronies doing a video with a song that was from the show.

Also at a convention Tara Strong met a mother that had an autistic son named Noble that collasped and was in the hospital. In response, Tara sent a special message most likely in her Twilight voice to Noble. Noble then responded with this. Just another reason Tara Strong is awesome.

Anyway here's Dragonshy Vs. May the Best Pet Win

Phew, this one was a much easier one then yesterday. But nonetheless I really enjoyed seeing these 2 episodes again. Both episodes are pretty fun to watch in my opinion. But anyway here we go.

There's a few minor similarities between the episode. Although one is for Rainbow Dash and the other for Fluttershy they both have some sort of role in each. Though Fluttershy plays a more supportive role that's actually supportive in May the Best Pet Win. In Dragonshy, Rainbow Dash is annoyed with how much Fluttershy is slowing down the trip to the Dragon's cave. Also both interestingly feature falling rocks. Also Angel appears in both episodes as well. Though all the pets even Winona who before that episode wasn't seen since Applebuck Season came back in May the Best Pet Win. Both feature a song but of course May the Best Pet Win has one that's ALOT longer and I think better then Pinkie's Hop, Skip, and a Jump. Even if they had used the extended Hop, Skip, and a Jump I think Find a Pet is better.

I just gotta say I love Dragonshy. It's one of my favorites from Season 1. It's also my go-to episode to introduce the show to anyone if they don't have the time to see the pilot. As Dragonshy gives a good idea about all of the Main 6 and puts them in an environment that endangers the character's lives. Not something you'd think would be in a "Girl's Show" and has that sense of Adventure that most episodes don't really explore that often which could be used as a good hook in getting someone into the series. Favorite moments of mine include Angel's manly cough, the Team montage of them getting ready to set off, and the whole scene when they get to the Dragon's cave. Dragonshy is just a really unique episode. And Fluttershy putting that dragon into submission is all kinds of awesome. Even if Fluttershy doesn't get over her fear (For those who complained about that when Dragon Quest came around. That was only one Dragon. Let's say you are afraid of Snakes. If there was only one Snake you'll still look at it with some fear but if it's harmless you can still walk past it. If there's hundreds of snakes in one room though, my bets is you run out of that room as fast as possible) after which.

Now I really can't tell how much the fanbase likes May the Best Pet Win. In some cases it's praised for the song it had and the competition with all the different animals was kinda cool. But sometimes because it was obviously the better of the "Double Rainbow" episodes as the 2nd of which turned out to become the most infamous episode of the season perhaps timing has made it a better episode then some people might say. I personally enjoyed seeing this again though. The song in the episode was pretty good and was the first duet song of the series. And was nice to get both Fluttershy and Rainbow singing. And I foudn the competition pretty cool too. The quarry was absolutely awesome with those eels and the cactus fields. The scene with Rainbow alone with a pinion feather under a rock is pretty sad and thansk to the ending Tank proved pretty cool. It's just a shame that just like the other pets Tank just seemed to have disappeared and we haven't seen him again since. Oh well, Season 3 perhaps? On a minor note I also loved the use of Ride of the Valkryies

As I said this was a much easier decision compared to the last one. I'm giving this one to Dragonshy. I like May the Best Pet Win and all. The song and Rainbow's pet turtle tortoise were pretty cool. But the fact Tank never really showed up again kinda doesn't help this episode at all. And Dragonshy had some really memorable moments and was one of the earliest episodes to have a reference to continuty (Rainbow Dash mentions the Manticore that Fluttershy helped in the Pilot). The fact Fluttershy was still afraid of Dragons in Season 2 was NOT a continuty error. It was the complete opposite in fact. For the moments it had, the whole adventure setting, and more on the importance scale Season 1 gets the point for Dragonshy.

Season 1: 2
Season 2: 5

I found an Ask Fluttershy tumblr a while back, and at first, I thought it was abandoned, since the last update was last October, but now there's new stuff!

http://askumfluttershy.tumblr.com/

So... adorable... :D

Is it possible that the whole Royal Wedding theme was ordered by Hasbro? Cadence and Shining Armor seem like even duller versions of Ariel and the one prince in The Little Mermaid (Eric?). Somehow I can't see Studio B making those characters, given what other Season 2 characters introduced have been like.

Sorry, I've just started to turn against the finale as I think about it more. :P

Yeah it's likely Habro pitched in with the wedding idea but Studio B managed to implement them into likeable characters.

Also Little Mermaid wasn't bad at all, but at least Cadance can be implied to have known Shining Armor through Twilight. Ariel in Little Mermaid just had a short gaze of Prince Eric and said "I want to give up my tail and voice for a man I don't know!"

It wouldn't at ALL be surprising to have Hasbro give a mandate to their TV show production team to do certain episodes so they can sell more toys, and it certainly WOULD make sense given how much Hasbro pushed the season finale, because it was THEIR idea they were advertising and not JUST an epic season finale.

That's the thing with shows that are made to advertise toys and related products, basically everything in them is made to sell a produce of some kind, and what it all comes down to is how the production team takes these lemons and make good lemonade out of them. Even IF Shining Armor and Cadence could have been developed better, the final product was still immensely satisfying.

Of the three new characters, I actually found Cadance (Armor was okay) rather...boring. Other than the babysitting exposition, we don't go much into her personality or background.

And hey, I liked the episode overall. A cool villain, great songs as always, and Pinkie Pie using Twilight as a machine gun...what's not to love? Oh, and Spike's lines were great when I watch it again. I just hope the best for Season 3, the first one entirely without the Hand of Faust involved.

Back