• Rainbow Dash

Votes: 31 20.9%
  • Rarity

Votes: 17 11.5%
  • Fluttershy

Votes: 35 23.6%

• Total voters
Northern Verve said:
You won't agree. But the reason why people like the show is that is some of the best writing, characterization and even Humor in a cartoon in years. Some people even say it reminds them of how cartoons went in the 90's
Examples of this...?

EDIT: And yes, I have watched it before. I found no examples of this.

I probably will after I eat lunch. The only part of the show that was funny was how the puny dragon kid laughed at all the idiotic ponies.

EDIT: Ate lunch and read the article.

The reason Bronies often get people offside is that they give no consideration to outsiders as to just how strange it can look to someone who has no idea what is going on.
Definitely. It's like, "OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU DON"T LIKE MY LITTLE PONY? SHUN THE NON BELIEVER!"

The Bronies arguments for loving the show can be narrowed down to four things. 1: The animation is good. 2: The story is great. 3: It’s unexpectedly funny. 4: It was developed by Lauren Faust.

1. True, but practically every show these days has great animation. Plus, you don't need great animation to make a good cartoon. The old Looney Toons and Tom and Jerry were great but didn't exactly have the best animation.

2. *shrugs* It's okay. Nothing impressive, but then again, you can't really have an amazing story in a 15-minute cartoon, so... Still. Nothing special.

3. Phineas and Ferb has the unexpectedly funny thing down better than this show. I will admit that MLP isn't bad at comedy, but it isn't anything spectacular like Phineas and Ferb is.

4. Why in the world is this a good reason? Just because a story is made by someone does not necessarily mean it's good. Look at George Lucas. He wrote the Star Wars original trilogy which was wonderful, and then bombed the prequel trilogy. And don't even mention Howard the Duck.

Could someone like SonicMario actually give me an intelligent argument instead of UltraMario's clueless ones?

You don't really sound like you read the entire one. Those 4 things isn't the guys point.

But really, can't you just leave us alone on it. You can dislike it all you want, but it's only bad if you take up offense enough to want to argue with us about it all the time. We like it, you don't. Can we leave it like that?

EDIT: And honestly I hate arguing, but if I must defend some things I will.

Northern Verve said:
You don't really sound like you read the entire one.
I did. Those are quotes from the article.

Northern Verve said:
But really, can't you just leave us alone on it. You can dislike it all you want, but it's only bad if you take up offense enough to want to argue with us about it all the time. We like it, you don't. Can we leave it like that?
I just haven't gotten a reason to like it that I agree with, so I can't understand why people do. I would like to get just one good reason and then I'll leave you be.

I'm not starting an argument or anything, I think this is why some people think it's "different" that males like this MLP show:
In my opinion, MLP has always been a toy targeted at young girls, and you never really think of boys liking MLP. I guess maybe if all of us girls got together and started like GI Joes, then would we get a similar reaction?
Once again, I'm not trying to start or add to the argument already. I'm just giving a perspective out here.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic….is a children’s show that feels like it belongs in the halcyon cartoon days of the 80’s and 90’s alongside shows such as Angry Beavers, Rocko’s Modern Life, Dexter’s Lab and CatDog. It’s slick animation, fantastic comedic value, and genuinely valuable life lessons that young people can really take to heart and learn from make it a shockingly good kids program that is in seriously short supply these days.

And just like the cartoons of the 90’s, the show goes out of its way to deliver quality production value and great character originality, keeping the adults who have to watch it in consideration.

It’s loveable characters are so endearing that they have clopped their way into the hearts of thousands, and are now used to convey some of the most accurate and funny reaction faces, phrases, and attitudes on the web. The show is smart, funny, adorable, and a refreshing change that has earned my appreciation and respect, even though it was made for adolescent girls. A rare thing indeed.

But of course, it might not be your thing, and that’s understandable. But before you immediately dismiss it and claim that all fans over the age of 10 are a bunch of lonely web-trollers sweating themselves to death in their mother’s basement…give the show a chance, because it might just surprise you and convince you that it can be good to give new or strange things a chance, just as it convinced me.

At the end of the day, you have to apply the same rules to the Ponies that you would to anything else.

This entire part should of been that one thing.

Dr. Javelin said:
Northern Verve said:
I just haven't gotten a reason to like it that I agree with, so I can't understand why people do. I would like to get just one good reason and then I'll leave you be.

This sounds like you're telling them they need your approval for them to like something, when in reality it's none of your business, and if you don't like it, don't pay attention to it. I sit in the chatrooms all day while they're talking about it, and I'm not a fan. Wanna know what I do? I focus on something else!

ITT:
chess.jpg

NintendoQueen814 said:
I'm not starting an argument or anything, I think this is why some people think it's "different" that males like this MLP show:
In my opinion, MLP has always been a toy targeted at young girls, and you never really think of boys liking MLP. I guess maybe if all of us girls got together and started like GI Joes, then would we get a similar reaction?
Once again, I'm not trying to start or add to the argument already. I'm just giving a perspective out here.
Actually, I think that norm these days in America is to be a tomboyish girl, so actually people wouldn't be too surprised. But that's really off topic and I won't go there.

Northern Verve said:
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic….is a children’s show that feels like it belongs in the halcyon cartoon days of the 80’s and 90’s alongside shows such as Angry Beavers, Rocko’s Modern Life, Dexter’s Lab and CatDog. It’s slick animation, fantastic comedic value, and genuinely valuable life lessons that young people can really take to heart and learn from make it a shockingly good kids program that is in seriously short supply these days.

And just like the cartoons of the 90’s, the show goes out of its way to deliver quality production value and great character originality, keeping the adults who have to watch it in consideration.

It’s loveable characters are so endearing that they have clopped their way into the hearts of thousands, and are now used to convey some of the most accurate and funny reaction faces, phrases, and attitudes on the web. The show is smart, funny, adorable, and a refreshing change that has earned my appreciation and respect, even though it was made for adolescent girls. A rare thing indeed.

But of course, it might not be your thing, and that’s understandable. But before you immediately dismiss it and claim that all fans over the age of 10 are a bunch of lonely web-trollers sweating themselves to death in their mother’s basement…give the show a chance, because it might just surprise you and convince you that it can be good to give new or strange things a chance, just as it convinced me.

At the end of the day, you have to apply the same rules to the Ponies that you would to anything else.

This entire part should of been that one thing.
1st paragraph: Granted about the life lessons thing. This is a kid's show, so I see nothing wrong with kids learning from it, but this does not apply to the older male audience. I already covered the animation and comedy in my last post, so let's continue...

2nd paragraph: The characters are original, but every show that's popular has original characters. I guess that's one good point, but I'll continue anyways...

3rd paragraph: This is highly a matter of opinion, as I don't find the ponies either lovable or endearing. But I'll let that slide since I am rather emotionless and don't find practically anything lovable or endearing. Another good point, I suppose.

4th paragraph: Like I said, I have watched the show, and I formed my opinions about it afterwords. It did not surprise me at all, it was exactly as it looked.

I have applied the same rules to My Little Pony as I have to any other show (read: Phineas and Ferb, currently my favorite) and have not acted against it in a bigoted manner.

I find two good reasons to watch it: Original characters and lovable characters. Both a matter of opinion, and mine don't lean towards the ponies. Essentially, this is a good show. It doesn't deserve all the attention it gets, but it is a good show. A good thing can be overrated, and this definitely is.

In short, don't join the "Brony" fad without knowing why, and don't hate the fad without knowing why. I don't hate the show, I'm sure it's perfectly fine. I hate the over response it has gotten, simply because of 4chan. I also hate how much of the fanbase is clueless as to why they like this show, they simply do.

There is nothing wrong with your liking the show, SonicMario, because you like the characters and know why. I have a problem with people who simply like it because it's a popular internet meme.

Hypnotoad said:
This sounds like you're telling them they need your approval for them to like something, when in reality it's none of your business, and if you don't like it, don't pay attention to it. I sit in the chatrooms all day while they're talking about it, and I'm not a fan. Wanna know what I do? I focus on something else!
I just explained why I don't like it in this monster post, and I hope you re-evaluate your opinion of my opinion. I now know why the real fans enjoy it and will not attack them, I only have a problem with the random followers.

If you didn't read this entire post, then don't respond to it as if it's a stereotypical Brony hate post. Read it because it's different.

Well in an attempt to start a discussion on this show in this topic rather then have the argument overwhelm this thread. What are (To the fans of the show here) your favorite episodes?

Well, I'd have to say that Cutie Mark episode where each of the mane cast shows there backstory of how they got their Cutie Marks.

Did I not say that I have no problem with people who genuinely like the show? I only hate the fad and people who simply follow the fad.

God, do you ever stop arguing?

You don't like it.
Okay.
We got that 2 pages ago.

Pinkie Pie said:
Well, I'd have to say that Cutie Mark episode where each of the mane cast shows there backstory of how they got their Cutie Marks.

Yeah I'd have to say that's my favorite too. We get some good in-depth on at least some of the cast. And I guess it's sort of well very cute

(ixnay on the argumentay >.>)

MrConcreteDonkey said:

You don't like it.
Okay.
We got that 2 pages ago.
I'm just trying to make sure that people don't simply label me as a troll. Obviously the more I do so the more people label me as one. I'm not attacking the fad anymore because it has been explained to me. Stop simply labeling me as a troll or hater and continue talking about whatever you want. I won't bother you.

Dr. Javelin said:
MrConcreteDonkey said:

You don't like it.
Okay.
We got that 2 pages ago.
I'm just trying to make sure that people don't simply label me as a troll. Obviously the more I do so the more people label me as one. I'm not attacking the fad anymore because it has been explained to me. Stop simply labeling me as a troll or hater and continue talking about whatever you want. I won't bother you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYa0jpGFUeY

facepalm

Back