• Rainbow Dash

Votes: 31 20.9%
  • Rarity

Votes: 17 11.5%
  • Fluttershy

Votes: 35 23.6%

• Total voters
Summed that up pretty well.

Luna is very very very very very old. She also seems to be incredibly loyal to her Canterlot duties and Celestia.

Celestia is very nice forgiving and smart. I feel she forshadows a future Twilight at times.

Derpy like muffins.

Also who do you think won the Goof Off contest?

ernesth100 said:
Also who do you think won the Goof Off contest?

Uh, unless you're asking hypothetically who we personally thought was doing the best.

Cheese Sandwich/Weird Al's pony won since Pinkie Pie forfeited. :???:

@BMB: And yeah, all the Mane 6 have their ups and downs. But they need both in order to differentiate the characters. If it was all ups, the Mane 6 would be perfect and thus they would not be interesting. If it was all downs they'd be all unlikable.

For every negative trait someone points out of a member of the Main 6 though, I can come back with what makes them good characters. The fact that people are so varied on who their favorite of the Main 6 are is actually a compliment to how these characters are characterized. All 6 of them have their traits that leaves a bigger mark on certain people.

Twilight Sparkle is my favorite pony and always will be. But I can see why people would say any of the other Main 6 is their favorite because they all have a great trait to them that makes us want to see more of them, There are going to be the people who hate at least one of the Main 6. (Most notably on these boards Pinkie and Fluttershy seem to get the most ire (I know Fluttershy is the most popular pony here by a 1 vote margin over Rainbow Dash if you look at the poll. But you also have active Fluttershy haters like Toad85, Nabber, and Si-Fi xP.)) But it's far from being the consensus, and people will love their favorite regardless.

ernesth100 said:
But not counting the forfiet who do YOU think was better?

Honestly they both had their good parts. So it's hard to say who I'd choose if say if I was in Rainbow Dash's spot. I'd probably give a slight edge to Pinkie though.

ernesth100 said:
But not counting the forfiet who do YOU think was better?
I think it's a good thing that it ended with Pinkie forfeiting, since it left it ambiguous as to who would have actually won. I'd like to think they're both equals, though honestly, I think Cheese Sandwich is just more insane and has so much up his arsenal compared to Pinkie Pie.

Northern Verve said:
(I know Fluttershy is the most popular pony here by a 1 vote margin over Rainbow Dash if you look at the poll. But you also have active Fluttershy haters like Toad85, Nabber, and Si-Fi xP.))

I don't hate Fluttershy. I just wish someone would actually write her well for once.

Farkles14 said:
Northern Verve said:
(I know Fluttershy is the most popular pony here by a 1 vote margin over Rainbow Dash if you look at the poll. But you also have active Fluttershy haters like Toad85, Nabber, and Si-Fi xP.))

I don't hate Fluttershy. I just wish someone would actually write her well for once.
Cindy Morrow didn't write her well in Hurricane Fluttershy?

Smashgoom202 said:
Farkles14 said:
Northern Verve said:

Cindy Morrow didn't write her well in Hurricane Fluttershy?

Actually, no. In fact I find that one of her most irritating appearances.

Not bad, just... irritating.

i'm not really going to go into specifics because i don't have the time, but it boils down to the fact that it was "dragonshy, but even more contrived".

Farkles14 said:
i'm not really going to go into specifics because i don't have the time, but it boils down to the fact that it was "dragonshy, but even more contrived".
Well, I'm going to stop you right there, because a lot of people fall into this trap. Hurricane Fluttershy is NOT the same as Dragonshy. For one, it doesn't involve Fluttershy's best friends completely ignoring and walking all over her and forcing her into an uncomfortable position against her will without even asking if the she really can do the thing they expected from her (I seriously hate Dragonshy so much because of how they treated Fluttershy in that episode).

For another, and this is something everyone points out when comparing it to Dragonshy, or even Putting Your Hoof Down, all those episodes were about Fluttershy standing up against an external conflict, I.E. Fluttershy faces something scary or intimidating and has to learn to stand up to it. In Hurricane Fluttershy, the conflicts are purely internal, I.E. not one is really judging Fluttershy, but she's lived through years of humiliation, teasing, and torment, to the point where even hearing ponies laughing (they may or may not have been laughing at her, but that's not the point) immediately triggers terrible memories that force her to tears. I honestly can't see how anyone wouldn't be at least a little disheartened or moved by this, but then again, I HAVE seen a surprisingly lack of empathy on this board, if any of the bullying topics I've been on is any indication. Anyway, BECAUSE she's so distraught over what she's been through, it makes her trying to succeed all the better, to the point where even if her wing speed isn't THAT high, she still does her best and ends up being the final factor in the end that helps Ponyville succeed!

So no, it's not like Dragonshy. As for it being "contrived", well, aren't ALL situations in this show contrived? It's all a matter of if the contrivances make sense or lead to something good, and honestly, I think this "contrived" situation leads to Fluttershy's best moment in the entire show. Fluttershy standing up to a dragon or Iron Will don't have shit on Fluttershy overcoming her own personal struggles!

Northern Verve said:
Smashgoom202 said:
We'll see about that... Yeah, sorry for being skeptical, but certain people on an MLP forum I go to didn't seem that impressed (you know the one I'm talking about, Northern Verve). Not to mention, the last time Amy Keating Rogers wrote a Pinkie Pie episode, it REALLY frustrated and angered me... Now in retrospect more then ever. Like, Dave Polsky's Feeling Pinkie Keen levels of rage.

That being said, Weird Al's in it, so I'm bound to enjoy it at least somewhat.

If you mean Equestria Forums.
Wooooooooooow Smashgoom. That's a terrible place to go, isn't the interface clunky and full of big smilies? Prompting dumb users to come.

The only forum that I find any good on this fandom is the one I'm on, the Round Stable Forums (formerly Ponygoons). Honestly, the chans are the next best source of discussion from there.

Wayoshi said:
Northern Verve said:
Smashgoom202 said:
We'll see about that... Yeah, sorry for being skeptical, but certain people on an MLP forum I go to didn't seem that impressed (you know the one I'm talking about, Northern Verve). Not to mention, the last time Amy Keating Rogers wrote a Pinkie Pie episode, it REALLY frustrated and angered me... Now in retrospect more then ever. Like, Dave Polsky's Feeling Pinkie Keen levels of rage.

That being said, Weird Al's in it, so I'm bound to enjoy it at least somewhat.

Wooooooooooow Smashgoom. That's a terrible place to go, isn't the interface clunky and full of big smilies? Prompting dumb users to come.

The only forum that I find any good on this fandom is the one I'm on, the Round Stable Forums (formerly Ponygoons). Honestly, the chans are the next best source of discussion from there.

Honestly I like Equestria Forums. While the site has had some backstage drama and certainly some tension during the trouble periods that the entire fandom has been through. Most are pretty civil compared to what you see in say in other Friendship is Magic communities.

Sure the smilies are a bit big. But they never bothered me none.

Smashgoom202 said:
As for it being "contrived", well, aren't ALL situations in this show contrived?

by contrived, I meant the writer pulled a phobia out of her ass in order to justify the plot.

Smashgoom202 said:
In Hurricane Fluttershy, the conflicts are purely internal, I.E. not one is really judging Fluttershy, but she's lived through years of humiliation, teasing, and torment, [...] BECAUSE she's so distraught over what she's been through, it makes her trying to succeed all the better, to the point where even if her wing speed isn't THAT high, she still does her best and ends up being the final factor in the end that helps Ponyville succeed!

again, point isn't that she was afraid again (that's her character after all), but that they pulled the phobia from nowhere and undid much of her development from seasons 1 and 2 to do it.

fluttershy's gone up onstage or performed for a crowd willingly elsewhere before (for example, in "hearth's warming eve" or "green isn't your color") without turning into a nervous wreck.

Farkles14 said:
Smashgoom202 said:
As for it being "contrived", well, aren't ALL situations in this show contrived?

by contrived, I meant the writer pulled a phobia out of her ass in order to justify the plot.

Smashgoom202 said:
In Hurricane Fluttershy, the conflicts are purely internal, I.E. not one is really judging Fluttershy, but she's lived through years of humiliation, teasing, and torment, [...] BECAUSE she's so distraught over what she's been through, it makes her trying to succeed all the better, to the point where even if her wing speed isn't THAT high, she still does her best and ends up being the final factor in the end that helps Ponyville succeed!

again, point isn't that she was afraid again (that's her character after all), but that they pulled the phobia from nowhere and undid much of her development from seasons 1 and 2 to do it.

fluttershy's gone up onstage or performed for a crowd willingly elsewhere before (for example, in "hearth's warming eve" or "green isn't your color") without turning into a nervous wreck.

Since when is doing a physical activity that you were bullied in your youth for not being able to do very well as simple as acting in a play and walking in a fashion show?

Northern Verve said:
Farkles14 said:
Smashgoom202 said:

Smashgoom202 said:

Since when is doing a physical activity that you were bullied in your youth for not being able to do very well as simple as acting in a play and walking in a fashion show?

...because the issue was clearly stated to be fluttershy's inability to perform in front of a crowd, and as far as the episode told that wasn't confined to one specific activity?

Wayoshi said:
Northern Verve said:

You've been there? What was your username? Either way, I went there because I know the person who created that place, and she's a good friend. While there are a LOT of smilies and emoticons, only a small handful overuse them.

Farkles14 said:
Smashgoom202 said:

Are we still talking about Hurricane Fluttershy? Because if that's the case, then you REALLY haven't been paying attention to Fluttershy's character, at all, because this not only isn't a phobia that comes completely out of nowhere, but it's a core part of Fluttershy's character. Some could argue that Scootaloo's flight issue came out of nowhere, since it was never addressed or remarked upon as an issue until that point, but Fluttershy has ALWAYS been shy and timit, and the constant teasing and tormenting on her lackluster flying is the SOURCE of her timid nature and personal insecurity! Seriously, I'm surprised you didn't catch on to that.

Farkles14 said:
Smashgoom202 said:

Once again, it wasn't pulled out of nowhere, it was tied into her character, also one doesn't get over something that's happened to you sense childhood, and again, this was an internal issue, not external; this was about Fluttershy overcoming her confidence issues, not overcoming something physical or confrontational to be afraid of.

Well, to be fair, in Hearth's Warming Eve, she DID get stage fright, and I mostly blame Merriweather's lackluster writing to explain why she didn't seem all that nervous while performing. While she was the center of attention in Green Isn't Your Color, they weren't laughing at her, not to mention she actually WAS incredibly timid during those moments, and she just generally hated being in that position. Yeah, she didn't devolve into a nervous wreck, but she wasn't exactly okay with either situation either.

ok I think this is what you don't get about my argument.

shyness ≠ phobia

shyness is a personality trait, and I agree it's a central part of fluttershy's character

what they portrayed in the episode wasn't mere shyness, but an outright fear of the event. that fear is what's been pulled out of know here, as fluttershy's has been in, or at least implied to have been in, similar situations before without issue.

Smashgoom202 said:
Yeah, she didn't devolve into a nervous wreck, but she wasn't exactly okay with either situation either.

>exactly my point

I think Pinkie Pie has adhd, Fluttershy is anti social and clostraphobic. Twilight has mild aspergers, Dash is too self sufficient. Applejack is perfect.

Farkles14 said:
ok I think this is what you don't get about my argument.

shyness ≠ phobia

shyness is a personality trait, and I agree it's a central part of fluttershy's character

what they portrayed in the episode wasn't mere shyness, but an outright fear of the event. that fear is what's been pulled out of know here, as fluttershy's has been in, or at least implied to have been in, similar situations before without issue.

Smashgoom202 said:
Yeah, she didn't devolve into a nervous wreck, but she wasn't exactly okay with either situation either.

>exactly my point
I still disagree, because even if shyness and "fear of events" isn't the same thing, her shyness can still stem from said fear of events. It makes sense to me, anyway. I feel like I can further justify this, but it's hard to explain.

Also, I don't think it's really a fear of events at all, like you claim, I think it's just a deeply rooted problem that Fluttershy had been struggling to get over with her whole life.

Back