• Rainbow Dash

Votes: 31 20.9%
  • Rarity

Votes: 17 11.5%
  • Fluttershy

Votes: 35 23.6%

• Total voters
Toad Eightyfive said:
Traits such as horns and wings are determined by specific alleles. Each allele codes for a specific trait (i.e., "H" means no horn, "h" means horn). In order to have a horn, since "Baby Cakes" proved that horns and wings are both recessive traits, you'd need two little h's and no big H's. Meaning that Twilight's genotype was previously hhWW or hhWw, and a pegasus would have Hhww or HHww. An alicorn, having both a horn and wings, would be hhww.

not that i actually believe my little ponies have anything like real world genetics, but if they DID, the idea of complex structures like unicorn horns and pegasus wings following simple mendelian patterns of inheritance is pretty much inconceivable

not least because this would mean that any unicorn with the genotype hhWw successfully mating with any pegasus with the genotype Hhww would have a 1 in 4 chance of producing an alicorn child, which isn't in line with the extreme rarity of alicorns in the setting at all

i know he gave up on this discussion but i didnt feel like i could let this pass without comment

Just posting two videos that I saw today that sums up at least alot of why I love Magical Mystery Cure so much and also Alicorn Twilight. The first video of which does it in less then 5 minutes. While the other is a full 10 minutes long but definitely makes some point against the most common complaints about Alicorn Twilight. And makes a point using particular detail from a prior episode I loved so much to make it have much more sense.

I feel bad, I've been watching Paleo less and less... I've been getting more into DigiBrony's stuff, and BronyCurious.

Animation was pretty darn good. Everything else was.... it was alright.

sorry mason, i'm just not a super critical person

Carlos said:
Come on folks, Double Rainboom is out. I came to this thread for some over-critical TLDR posts about it, now where are they?
Yeah, heard about that. Not all that gun-ho about seeing it. The "first fan-made episode" doesn't really look like show quality, and thus in my mind, it's just an extended fan animation rather than a "fan-made". Not that it's a bad thing, but I think there's too much hype behind it.

BTW, I'm trying to get caught up on Digibrony's stuff, and I just watched this, and it's pretty relevant to the discussion... that's now a few days old and a few posts back.

Haven't posted here in like forever...
Ok REALLY late on this, but I liked the season 3 finale. I just wish the problem wasn't resolved so quickly. :p
I found the songs really good and catchy though. Especially the "My cutie mark is telling me" & "A true true friend" songs. XD

For the Cutie Mark swappings, I found them interesting. For example, Rarity hates getting wet and the cold and now she suddenly has to control weather. Fluttershy hates performing in front of others, now she has to entertain. Pinkie Pie loves parties and having fun and then she has chores to do. Applejack hates formal attire and now has to make dresses. And Rainbow Dash has only had Tank for her pet so she lacks knowledge of animals compared to the mane 6. XP

I don't think Twilight becoming an alicorn will ruin the show; I actually think it'll be very interesting. =P

Also, I love these versions of "My cutie mark is telling me" songs:
This one sounds creepy but the inverted color has some cool looking effects: AJ looks like a Colt, the waterchute now looks like it has blood (Sweet Apple Massacre has opened...) and Rarity looks like she's bringing hell to Ponyville. XP

Colt version of this sounds awesome. And I can actually imagine the Mane 6 looking & sounding like this if they were Colts lol

I actually like the Colt versions of most songs, you guys should check them out. =P

I've kinda noticed how alot of Season 3 was setting up for potential things to cover in Season 4 or even beyond. With what we have from the first two seasons plus what we got from Season 3. I'm pretty sure there's enough potential for this show to go as long as I predicted it might. At least six Seasons and/or 100 episodes or more. Though if Season 4 is the last season, 91 episodes wouldn't be too shabby either. But I don't think it will. Anyway, here's what Season 3 gave us that could very well be explored in the full 26 episode Season we're getting next Winter.

-The Crystal Empire of course gave us a new location that the show could explore later on

-One Bad Apple had a new Cutie Mark Crusader who might end up have an expansion if we see Babs appear in Manehatten or Babs going to Ponyville with "CMC East"

-Magic Duel sort of brings up how good Twilight is in Magic when it required a major magic boost to Trixie to beat her. And we could see Twilight get into some possibly more advanced spells as an Alicorn. Since they seem to have some special abilities. Like while Twilight's really well with magic, I doubt she's able to raise the Sun or the Moon or dream walk like Luna can do. She'll have her own unique abilities as an Alicorn. And it could be anything considering her very talent is Magic. (Also there have been rumors that Trixie could appear yet again)

-Sleepless in Ponyville opens up a cute relationship between Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash that ought to be quite interesting. Season 3 was basically Rainbow's best Season in Character development. Not only did she get closer to getting into the Wonderbolts ala Wonderbolt Academy, but she's really talking to those who have been by her side or respected her for so long (Also gaining a new Flying buddy with AliTwi). Including Scootaloo. Scootabuse was rendered non-canon forever by Sleepless in Ponyville

-Speaking of Wonderbolt Academy though we should be able to get some clearance on how close Rainbow really is to being a Wonderbolt. And if we see the Wonderbolt Academy again, do we see Lightning Dust show up again in a more apologetic manner? Or a vengeful one?

-Keep Calm and Flutter On, whether you enjoyed that episode or not. Brings a Free Discord into the table. Which could be very interesting indeed. He'll no longer be evil per se if he doesn't want to get turned to stone. But he won't exactly be 100% Good either. I'm sure he'll still annoy the heck out of any of the Main 6 for the exception of Fluttershy. Anytime he's on screen though using his brand of magic should be something to look forward to.

-Games Ponies Play seems to suggest we'll see a Pony version of the Olympics eventually show up. I personally think that will be something interesting. If Season 4 doesn't have an episode about this, then Games Ponies Play was kinda pointless...

-And of course alot of Magical Mystery Cure is going to have an effect on Season 4 for obvious reasons. Alicorn Princess Twilight has so many possibilities it's astounding. And unlike what seems to be what half of the fandom is saying, I don't think this is an instant jump-the-shark moment. There's no logic behind that.

There might be more to this. But those are what's on top of my head with what some of the Season 3 episodes have done that could be a theme in some places of Season 4. And part of the reason why I'm as excited as ever.

Looker said:
What we need is not another *bleep*ty villain like King Sombra.
I, honestly, would want to see Sombra again, to make up for his rather shitty debut. I hold to this day that he has a lot of awesome villain potential, but it got wasted since he didn't do anything.

...And I know he's supposed to basically be Sauron but... Okay, I'm just going to go ahead and admit, I don't remember much of Lord of the Rings, as it's been a long time since I've watched the movies or read the books. The only thing I consistently remember was Frodo, Sam, and Gollum journeying to Mount Doom. I knew there were other characters and battles, but I had NO idea what they stakes were in any of them. I knew that Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli were fighting a lot of battles, but I had no ideas why those battles were fought or who they were fighting them with. I knew Pippin and Merry were doings something but I had no idea what. I knew there was a bad wizard named Sarumon, who at the time, I thought was the villain, but he got an abrupt death in the third one... It's now that I know the main villain is Sauron, and the whole story is just preventing his return...

And honestly... As much as it shows that the sacrifice and desperation of the characters, and it's all part of an awesome story... I still think that's pretty lame. I mean, it's better than the whole "trying to prevent something only to have it no prevented then prevail in the end anyway", and I like that this subverts that usually think by actually preventing Sauron's return, but still, all that build-up for nothing?

I don't want to really insult Sauron or Lord of the Rings, because I'm not at ALL a hardcore fan and I just know I'm missing some details, but I think I can safely say, even if it was a reference to an awesome serious, it was still executed in a way that left a LOT to be desired.

Carlos said:
Timmy said:
Ok REALLY late on this, but I liked the season 3 finale. I just wish the problem wasn't resolved so quickly. :p
I agree.

I can understand the feeling about it going a little quickly. But we still get the gist of what we're supposed to feel. The musical aspect helps with that. We get the upbeat song from "Morning in Ponyville", the exposition of the problem in "What My Cutie Mark is Telling Me", the emotional impact in "I've Got to Find a Way", and the grand solution done in "True, True, Friend". It doesn't fuck around, it goes from awesome moment after awesome moment with not alot of breathing room like they can do with two-parters. Which I understand could be hard to follow, but if you really like all the Main 6 it's a very interesting ride that just flows a stream of interesting moments. And I'd say a very feel-good episode for those who enjoy it. I can rewatch it and I can't resist smiling at certain points of the episode.

It's not even the staff's fault they couldn't make it a two-parter. They were only given 13 episodes (Though uh I suppose I would of sacrificed Spike at your Service if it meant another part to Magical Mystery Cure, but I digress), and they did all they could to fit what was in Magical Mystery Cure. Yes it would of been better as a Two-parter, but I think they really wrapped it neatly the best they could. "I Have to Find a Way" like I said brings out the emotions we're supposed to feel. And "True, True Friend" goes right along with what this show is about. And "Celestia's Ballad" is one of the most beautiful scenes of the entire series. I'd also argue Twilight's speech at the end is very heartwarming to those who really care for the characters and what the friendship between the Mane 6 has been through for 65 episodes. They packed alot into this 22 minute episode and I think they succeeded in really covering everything that needed to be shown.

Any questions people will be asking for the most part will probably be answered in Season 4

(Apologies for a rather long-winded reply to a real short thing said. Thought I'd get that out about the pacing of the episode. "It would of been better if it was longer" never was a big complaint for me for most episodes. Because be honest, alot of shows if we enjoy them enough we wish they went a little longer, or cut the commercial breaks to allow for more show time. Friendship is Magic is no exception. It's kinda difficult to master the art of making episodes seem longer then they actually are. Which I think is something A:TLA managed to do alot)

I know I should probably talk more about the show than about fan content, because let's face it, this thread would be flooded with random fan-made crap, to the point where it would almost be considered spam...

But yeah, this is a cute little animation and song, and I thought I'd share it with all of you:

Okay first order of buisness, Have the official Japanese dubbed version of the first song in Friendship is Magic. Giggle at the Ghosties

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qB5xFGgLwco[/youtube]

Second of all. I'm going to post my episodic comparisons like I did last time during the Post-Season 2 Break. Have the first one (I have 3 out so far). Here's the first of them, I'd post the 2nd one in the same post but it makes this post exceed the character limit. ^^'

Alright I can now finally begin the return of the Episodic Comparisons! Our first match will have the first part of the Pilot pitted against Suited for Success and also Part 1 of the Crystal Empire. Without further adieu let's get comparisons in first!

I have to frankly say this new way of doing the comparisons are probably going to be harder. Because in some cases all 3 episodes may have something in common. While others two of might have something in common but one's a bit of an outsider that has absolutely nothing to do with it. This first one may even be that, it's obvious what are the similarities between Mare in the Moon and Crystal Empire are. They're both Twilight centered episodes, they're both the openers of their respective Seasons, and both end with a cliffhanger where the Main villain of the two parter shows themselves. While Suited for Success is the oddball that has nothing to do with an epic plot or in the case of Mare in the Moon, introducing characters because unfortunately the format of this Episodic Comparisons forces me to sometimes put a Slice-Of-Life episode in the crossfire between two epic episodes. You can hardly say anything that's similar between Suited for Success with either of the Season Openers in this matchup. But I just want to say that this doesn't mean it's completely outmatched. As much as we tend to love the epic episodes, there are those who find the Slice-of-Life episodes over the two-parters. Especially if it's a really well-done one like Suited for Success is. The first matchup after watching it turns out a bit hard for me to choose. Because I have good reasons for liking all three. Though that just made this more interesting when Return of Harmony curb stomped the pilot in my previous run of Episodic Comparisons. So time to get into talking about each episode.

For episodes that we have already run through, I won't try to make a paragraph for each one because I basically already covered them previously. Though I suppose maybe I should expand on at least the first episode. Because that was one of the few that was kinda short I didn't start getting real long until sometime after. The Pilot episode is just full of nostalgia, for many a brony this is the first episode they watched. Whether or not it was the episode that hooked you, it was still the episode that basically introduced all the characters we know and love and the reason we're still watching because the characters intrigued us so much. The pilot does an excellent job introducing the Mare in the Moon story, and everyone of the Main 6. I can't say that any other episode other then Dragonshy really shows you what each character is all about. I could also start a whole rant on how the Pilot was just basically the start of the reason why Twilight has always been my favorite pony. But I think I'll scratch that considering I think I've mentioned it enough times already. But it's certainly an interesting perspective to look at Twilight in the first episode after having seen the many, many episodes afterwards where Twilight gradually becomes better at keeping the traits of Friendship as the show went on. Especially considering a certain episode where she essentially becomes the embodiment of what she doesn't think was necessary in the first episode. Which I don't think is really hypocritical as it is more a show of how Twilight's changed since that episode. She's gone through legitimate character growth where she's more considerate for everypony and even advanced in Magic skill. I'll elaborate on this more once we get to that particular episode. But you get what I mean. The Twilight we see in Season 3 would think her Early Season 1 self was a bit of a jerk. This is kinda evident for this comparison because we have Season 3 Twilight in Crystal Empire. But anyway, Mare in the Moon is still a nice episode that establishes the Main 6 we've come to know and love and have their own quirky moments that we may never forget and still have some of the most iconic moments of the series. While it's been by far surpassed in quality by a whole lot of episodes by now, it still very much one of the episodes with the largest impact as it's normal for those trying out a new show to start with the first episode. And thus I'm pretty sure this episode can be credited for bringing in so many Bronies in the first place even if it didn't sometimes instantly hook everyone, it still got them curious enough to watch more until they did find an episode that hooked them. However this doesn't mean that this will mean that it will beat Suited for Success or Crystal Empire, Part 1 just based on the impact it had. As overall I can definitely say both the other two are more high quality and rewatchable. Mare in the Moon introduces the characters great, but upon rewatching when you understand the characters even more so after so many other episodes have aired it kinda loses some of it's initial value. I'm not saying it's a terrible episode to rematch as it can give a good sense of nostalgia and plenty of moments that almost every brony remembers. (Who could ever forget Pinkie's gasp early on for example?). So things relatively remain the same as I said about the episode in the previous comparison, I just had it way shorter then.

Because for episodes that I gave a decent length I probably won't expand on too much unless in special cases. For Suited for Success I remain that Suited for Success is generally not an episode you'd want to introduce the show too. Though apparently it has had some success in that department. I'll say that Art of the Dress gets a point for probably having the best song of the three episodes. Though Mare in the Moon had no songs, while Crystal Empire had just the Failure song and the Crystal Faire. I'll get to my thoughts on those songs shortly once I get to covering Part 1 of Crystal Empire. Generally for ones I remind what episode they lost to and why they're in Round 1. Like Suited for Success in the last game was against The Last Round-Up, which was an episode I found very entertaining in Season 2 for having a pretty good Applejack episode for the first time since Applebuck Season and for it's overwhelming humor that edged it over Suited for Success. But I will maintain that Suited for Success is a grand episode. And certainly a highlight of Season 1 as this is where Rarity for a lot of Bronies started getting better. With plenty of memorable things like the dresses we would see again in Best Night Ever, 20% Cooler, and Rarity being called a crazy cat lady. It's certainly another episode not to be forgotten.

Now on to our very first Season 3 episode. The previous episode before this was Canterlot Wedding, which has mostly been received positively ever since it aired. It still being one of my favorite episodes, with such an Amazing two-parter we were hyped to hear that Season 3 was going to start off with another two-parter. Hyping that perhaps this episode could match or even surpass the previous two-parter with the premise we were given. DId it succeed? Weellll unfortunately I don't think so, but that does that mean I think Crystal Empire was bad? Hell no. It had some pretty interesting things done for it. A new pony species, a mysterious villain (I suppose I'll elaborate more on him in Part 2), and some very cute character moments throughout the first 22 half of the Season 3 opener. Twilight adorable as always worrying over a test, acting so cute in front of Celestia to please her before Celestia gives the exposition for Crystal Empire. I also must say Celestia's illusion magic was an awesome scene. The background music makes it even more awesome. Also I do love the hints given of Twilight being ready for something (Which we know what it is but again I'm going to elaborate on this when we get to it) and the subtle symbols we're given towards that end. It left me hyped for the rest of Season 3. But after giving her task Twilight gets unsure about herself and sings the Failure song. Which I think is a nice song, but I equate it with B.B.B.F.F. that the actual animation sequence was actually better then the song itself. As many parts are animation we don't think would of done nearly as well back in Season 1 or heck even in Season 2. They stepped up the animation for sure in Season 3 and it shows. Then we move on to a scene where the Mane 6 are reunited with Shining Armor, Twilight's Brother who had just made his debut in the previous two-parter. However he gets to be kind of worfed as his horn gets sabotaged in an attempt to defend the Mane 6 from Sombra. Though you think Sombra would of done worse damage, when there was a preview that ended straight when they lunged together I thought this was going to be a case where Sombra possesses Shining Armor forcing Twilight to fight against her own brother. Unfortunately it didn't go that way and it's a shame as I feel that could of potentially been an interesting scene. But oh well, we have Cadence come up again and do Sunshine Sunshine Ladybugs Awake with Twi (Which I am fairly certain has become Twi and Cadence's secret handshake ever since Canterlot Wedding). The Mane 6 are then tasked with attempting to get answers from the Crystal Ponies which are completely unable to remember anything that would be useful. This brings us a few very funny character moments like Rarity fangasming over the Crystal Empire's look and also imagining herself as a Crystal Pony and also Pinkie Pie not only being a spy but also disguising as Fluttershy. (I consider that moment, sort of Season 3's version of the gasp from the pilot). The mane 6 learn they have to make a Crystal Faire to help the Crystal Ponies. Leading to the Crystal Faire song which has a nice tune and is actually better then the Failure Song and the reprise of the same one only as a Success instead in Part 2. Still not something I'd listen to very commonly, but nonetheless pretty nice. As the Crystal Faire begins things start going well and some of the Crystal Ponies even get a little more brighter after regaining some memory back. But as Part 1 winds down Rainbow learns that they're missing the most vital part. The Crystal Heart. Rushing to Twilight to warn her and the first half ends as Cadence faints and King Sombra approaches the Empire. Making things quite interesting. Overall, I like Crystal Empire a good amount it has some interesting and funny moments throughout and was actually the first opener to have a few things that are more obvious later on (Especially for the Season 3 Finale, although I like to consider that the ordeal Twilight goes through in Return of Harmony was why she'd eventually go crazy in Lesson Zero. But that's just a headcanon rather then plainly obvious I suppose. Still doesn't mean I can't think it didn't have an effect however). Getting back to when I talked about it in comparison to Canterlot Wedding, it's just not nearly as good. And for some that might have been kinda disappointing after Canterlot Wedding raised the bar but Crystal Empire still has it's moments. Though I suppose I'm not done yet with it as we get to Part 2 next time. But anyway Crystal Empire Part 1 is still on par with much of the two parter episodes. Not the best, but certainly noteworthy.

As for the actual verdict. I'm afraid the 0 points is going to Mare in the Moon. Again it's good as an introductory episode, but still most episodes of the series outclass it and Suited for Success and Crystal Empire, Part 1 are no exceptions. That now brings the decision on which episode and Season gets a half point and the other gets a full point and a chance to get more points against Return of Harmony Part 1 and The Last Round-Up. And ugh, this was a really, really tough decision. But I'm going to give this to Suited for Success. As with most episodes of the series I liked them all and it may seem surprising that I'm actually having an episode based on my favorite pony lose early on. It's just for all intents and purposes, Suited for Success was a episode that while it was an episode essentially about dresses it was an episode that certainly beat expectations and turned things around for Rarity. While Crystal Empire Part 1, maybe it's because it seems like it's a disappointment when compared to what Canterlot Wedding brought in both it's parts. But Suited for Success has the better use of music and classic character moments, as much as I loved Pinkie's and Rarity's moments in Crystal Empire. It's not enough in this case. Season 1 gets the first full point, and Season 3 gets the first half point. Season 2 is still yet to get a score and won't be able to get any points until the fourth matchup of Round 1. Since most of Season 2's episode are in Round 2 because of the domination the Season had in he original episodic comparisons. Hopefully you'll be here next time when we have Friendship is Magic Part 2 against Feeling Pinkie Keen and Part 2 of Crystal Empire.

1st Place: Suited for Success +1 for Season 1
2nd Place: Crystal Empire, Part 1 +0.5 for Season 3
3rd Place: Mare in the Moon

Season 1: 1
Season 2: 0
Season 3: 0.5

Yeah, the Japanese version of the song makes an effort to sound more natural than most other foreign translations of the song.

...Also, after seeing this review:

Even though I enjoyed part 2 a lot, I have to concede that A Canterlot Wedding is a horribly written mess of an episode. Even though I don't necessarily agree with everything, and I thought that overreaction at the beginning was WAY overdone, but the thing about Queen Chrysalis and the Changelings involvement were spot-on.

^
I'm a bit scared of watching that review. Because I love Canterlot Wedding with all my heart. And I mean both parts. If they're too hard on it, I don't want to watch it. And that's final

Anyway here's the 2nd one and 3rd one

Alright! Onto the 2nd parts of the Season 1 and Season 3 Opener and also Feeling Pinkie Keen!

In terms of similarities there's only one thing that really is a similarity between them all and that they're all episodes where Twilight's part of the main focus. Though I think there's more similarities once again between FiM Part 2 and Crystal Empire Part 2 for some obvious reasons. But between those episodes what I find interesting actually is the contrast. In Friendship is Magic, Part 1. All of the others of the Main 6 were most important in getting to the place where the Elements were. Without them it looked ilke Twilight would of failed for sure. And Spike was also gone at that point. But in Crystal Empire, Twilight was definitely the most important part of saving the Crystal Empire and Spike led a hand in Crystal Empire as well. Which also brings up that both were about finding an artifact that would defeat the villain of the episode. FPK doesn't really have anything else to compare with the other two though. So let's get into this.

Friendship is Magic Part 2 is I'd argue more of a milestone then the first part was. The previous part introduced the characters, but it's Part 2 that really expands on their characters as they all have an important part in leading up to Nightmare Moon being hit with the Elements of Harmony. The first part might of gotten potential Bronies curious whether they were unsure or not. But it could of been the 2nd part that really hooked them thanks to the Adventure aspect of defeating a Villain. It's very reminiscent of Sailor Moon, or maybe Power Rangers. I can imagine a lot of Bronies who have nostalgia for the 90s were appealed by this and would go on to love this show. While much of it was kinda cheesy we still got a good example of the good qualities of each of the Main 6. People still joke about how was Applejack able to hold on to Twilight, but it did well in showing her honest virtues, the Manticore part showed Flutershy's mastery of Animals, Pinkie Pie showed a brave side and sang the first song of the series to the scary faces (I think it was decent for the first song, but compared to what would come later it is rather weak), Rarity cutting her tail for Generosity, and Rainbow not leaving her friends behind for a fake Pegasus team. This however does come at the expense of the Villain, Nightmare Moon who because her tricks actually end up helping more then they do hinder really kind of makes you think 1000 years on the Moon didn't really help Nightmare's intelligence. But either way, when they get to the castle it really is iconic to see the whole scene plays with Twilight challenging Nightmare Moon with a fake charge and then attempting to make the elements. But when they fail and all seems lost when Nightmare breaks them, Twilight hears calls from her friends and she gets the first spark in her eyes leading to the Elements of Harmony being rawakened and turning Nightmare Moon back into Princess Luna. Celestia coming in to congratulate the group and reconcile with her long lost sister. Eventually leading to a nice heartfelt ending where Twilight having realized what it means to have friends gets to stay in Ponyville. While still with plenty of cheesy moments, it really shows the charm the series has and set the bar for later episodes that would go to an Adventure type episode. Granted all future episodes that did so do it far better then this one, but it still gave a good introduction to what we would later see. All uses of the Elements of Harmony can be linked back to this episode and as you can see, especially in Season 3. They get really, really, important. This is what starts off the show. And no Bronies will ever forget that.

Onto Feeling Pinkie Keen… I'm not actually going to say much here. But given this is essentially Season 2's Mare Do Well the flaws are definitely there. What with the Pinkie Sense that even after the episode aired didn't appear too often until both Mare-Do-Well and It's About Time. I still enjoy the slapstick and humor we get from this episode. But it's definitely undermined by it's many flaws. And just doesn't have much of an impact like the other two in the Match. So I'm saying right here, that Feeling Pinkie Keen is definitely the 3rd place in this Matchup. FPK had some funny moments, but it's just not enough to cover it over the conclusion of the Two parters in this matchup.

And now on to the conclusion of Crystal Empire, Part 2. Leaving where the first stopped. King Sombra is advancing to the Empire until Cadence finds another boost of energy to keep up her shield. Delaying Sombra's invasion further. It's now up to Twilight and Spike to find the Crystal heart, while the others must try to keep the Crystal Pony's spirits as high as possible. Things go awkward but still pretty well for the Main 6, but the most interesting thing is of course what Twilight and Spike do. And I think it's what I think is the best part about the Crystal Empire. Up until this episode Spike was put to the wayside for a lot of the Adventure or big episode aspects. Friendship is Magic, he falls asleep, Dragonshy: He takes care of Fluttershy's animals, Best Night Ever: Abandoned by the Main 6, Canterlot Wedding: He doesn't do a whole lot other then play with figures of Shining and Cadence and also be the Ring bearer. You could argue he had a decent part of Return of Harmony where he's the only person not affected by Discord in early Part 2 and Celestia's letter get sent through him (At the expense of him being in pain throughout). But this time in Crystal Empire, he's front and center and a true sidekick to Twilight. Something that I hope is a more common theme later on. Even before Spike is told to get the Crystal Heart to the fair, he's assisting Twilight on the quest for the Crystal Heart. They even have a touching moment after they both experience their worst fears from the door they find at the bottom of the stairs.. I loved it when Twilight said "That day will never come to pass" that seems like to me even when Spike starts growing big. Twilight will make sure to have a way to get in contact with Spike. Although considering you-know-what happens at the end of Season 3, Spike could find himself in a very interesting role later in life. The whole door scene is one of the most powerful scenes of the two-parter because we learn what Twilight and Spike fear most. The scene where Twilight and Spike get the Crystal Heart is also a very good scene because of course this is where Twilight decides to screw the whole she has to be the one to get the Crystal Heart. Because if she tried to do it all herself, she would have downright failed not only Celestia but all her friends, Cadence, her brother, and all of the Crystal Ponies. So she orders Spike, who again never had much of a role in the episodes that required the Mane 6 to be heroes. But nonetheless is put into the thick of things but almost gets overpowered by Sombra until the good arm of Shining and a determined Pink Princess catches him and brings the Crystal Empire back to full strength. I believe no matter what your overall thoughts on the Season 3 opener was, the Spike and Twilight scenes in Part 2 at least make it a little more worthwhile because we never saw that dynamic that really should be used more, especially in a dangerous situation like the Crystal Empire was. And it gives some massive props to this episode. Other things relating to this episode, it has the best song of the three. FPK has no songs, and FiM, Part 2 had Giggle at the Ghosties. Which was nice I guess but it was only the first song, and while I wouldn't say I'm big into the Success Song which was a reprise of the Failure song only sung by all the Main 6 and on a more positive note. There's however one last thing I want to cover real quick. Both Sombra and Nightmare Moon were sort of disappointing villains given only what they do in their respective two-parters. But I give the nod to Sombra still being better because we do get a feeling of actual threat from Sombra. He just ended up unlucky, but his traps were interesting and the fact he enslaved the Crystal Ponies is pretty menacing to think about. While he still doesn't too much, I still find Nightmare Moon weaker since her actions help Twilight discover what her friends are about. Thus leading to her downfall in the castle when Twilight is making her speech. You could also say she had a bit of Sailor Moon villain stupidity that stood there waiting for the heroes magical blast to hit them. At least when Sombra's about to be hit with it. It comes soon after the Crystal Heart is back in it's location. And heck, as of now Sombra's actually dead. Which is something unexpected between reformations or being blasted away. A killed off for real villain in MLP hasn't happened since G1. And it's not exactly a fall off and die, we see him explode into pieces. As much as some people may think that's sort of jarring for this show, well… I'll understand that since this show is called Friendship is Magic. Evil unicorns getting blown to smithereens is not the image you want to uphold with a title like that. But regardless, I find Crystal Empire, Part 2 to have the better parts of the whole Two-Parter. But here does it stack up against the other two Season 1 episodes?

I'm going to say, that Crystal Empire Part 2 is getting the full point, Elements of Harmony is firmly in 2nd, and Feeling Pinkie Keen is taking last. FPK's humor is fine but the conclusion to the two-parters are just too much for it. And as charmingly cheesy the 2nd part gets, it doesn't overcome what Part 2 of Crystal Empire had in it. The Spike and Twilight scenes alone are enough to top it all off. So Season 3 gets a full 1 point, while Season 1 only gets a Half point here. Tieing them up at 1.5 each.

1st Place: Crystal Empire, Part 2 +1
2nd Place: Friendship is Magic, Part 2 +0.5
3rd Place: Feeling Pinkie Keen

Season 1: 1.5
Season 3: 1.5

(May have gotten a bit lazy on this one. I actually watched it one day and started working on it but then kinda drifted off and got distracted for a few days afterward. Anyway,s next up we finally get to the pure Battle Royales between Slice of Life episodes. Starting with Ticket Master, Sonic Rainboom, and Too Many Pinkie Pies.)

Now we're onto the Slice of Life head to head matchups! We won't be seeing any two parter episodes again until we get to Round 2. We have seemingly very different episodes of Ticket Master, Sonic Rainboom, and Too Many Pinkie Pies!

While it doesn't seem like they'd have many similarities. There actually is at least one between all three. In these trio of episodes, the pony that the episode focuses on (Ticket Master's Twilight, Sonic Rainboom's Rainbow, and Too Many Pinkie's Pinkie Pie) has some moment where they're distraught or sad in the episode. In Ticket Master, Twilight has trouble deciding which pony to give her ticket too, Rainbow Dash gets ever so nervous for the competition, and of course Pinkie's in the dilemma where she's worried about not being found as the real Pinkie. However if you look at only two episodes, it's Too Many Pinkie Pies and Ticket Master that has one more similarity. The problem of the episode occurs because how there's too many friends to choose from. It's slightly different as Twilight has only two tickets, and as for Pinkie she's only one pony and Rainbow Dash and Applejack are having the moment they want Pinkie to participate in at the same time. Pinkie's first solution being the mirror pool. However, once we get to this in Too Many Pinkie Pie's part. This won't be considered such a good thing as as result because both Ticket Master and Too Many Pinkie Pie suffer from a similar flaw.

Again leaving it short. Ticket Master was like I said the first taste many of us got from the Slice-of-Life episodes. It was an ok Episode I suppose, nothing exactly too thrilling though some of Twilight's lines are just gold in this episode. But in all honesty, Applebuck Season is when the show really starts to hit a stride. While Ticket Master was just average and might even have been a bit of a letdown after the pilot was an epic Sailor Moon type of thing. I suppose that it started the whole Grand Galloping Gala arc that composed of much of Season 1, that went into Suited for Success in the middle of the Season and then the Season Finale Best Night Ever. But then you also have a problem many people may have with this episode is that the solution was a little obvious. Perhaps it's overthinking it a little, but some may not like this episode because they feel the solution in where Twilight tells Celestia she's not going if her friends couldn't go thus leading to Celestia getting them all tickets could of been thought up early. I suppose it should be noted that Ticket Master is probably still early in the series continuity and Twilight still doesn't understand Friendship quite yet. But nonetheless, I'm sure there's some that facepalmed the moment Celestia sent back the letter.

Onto Sonic Rainboom, this is one of the most popular episodes of Season 1. And it's no surprise, starring Rainbow Dash being awesome but also showing her flaws that makes her who she is. Also having very cute moments from Fluttershy, and we get a little insight on what Cloudsdale is like. Just so much awesome in one episode, and the first time M.A. Larsen really showed his stuff as this is only of the mane fan favorites Larsen would make. It was actually pretty hard for me to have this lose in the previous Episode comparisons, but only because I personally enjoy Read It and Weep more overall. But I gotta say right here right now that Sonic Rainboom is definitely the winner of these two. With so many memorable moments like the Yay scene, the Sonic Rainboom itself, and plenty more interesting stuff. Sonic Rainboom I will say definitely is far above Ticket Master and Too Many Pinkie Pies. So now it falls on whether I think Too Many Pinkie Pies is better then Ticket Master or not.

Okay onto Too Many Pinkie Pies. In the order episodes have aired, this episode was the first normal episode since MMMystery at the Friendship Express. With a title like Too Many Pinkie Pies. Random hilarity was expected and we did get some, though I think I' almost expected more then we got. The episode started off with Pinkie distracting Twilight while she tries an Orange spell. Which becomes a tad of a running gag in the episode. Later on Rainbow and Applejack ask Pinkie about hanging near the pool and helping Raise the Barn (1-2-3… Oh is that too early? I'm sorry xD). Pinkie Pie however of course knows she can't be in two places at once unless she uses the Mirror Pool. In which she uses to spawn the first clone, at first things turn out alright. But once Pinkie Clone #1 runs into the picnic that Fluttershy's having with her animals she finds trouble on which fun thing to do. And cracks under the pressure faster then the real Pinkie. The real Pinkie finds her and tells the clone she's making more. But things start to get crazy when the clones themselves also use the mirror pool. Pinkie doesn't realize that so many Pinkie Pies going around are going to wreck havoc in Ponyville. When things get really hectic, the real Pinkie even starts doubting she's the real one herself and Twilight ends up on a wild goose chase to find the real one. Interestingly leading to something we'd never thought we'd see. A scene that's entertaining that includes watching paint dry as part of the scene. As it's by far the most entertaining part of the episode, seeing Twilight blast the clones who can't keep themselves from wanting something fun to see. Leaving the real Pinkie who was focused on wanting to keep with her friends. Overall Too Many Pinkie Pies is an enjoyable episode, much more entertaining to watch again as compared to Ticket Master. But it kinda falls way short of another first Slice-of-Life episode of the Season: Lesson Zero. Which managed to have wacky insane fun while keeping it a relatively good moral on it's own. Too Many Pinkie Pies does have a few flaws like the book that showed the solution was in some sort of hidden bookcase that Spike just happened to find or it seems like Pinkie's friends don't really understand Pinkie enough if they couldn't tell what was real from all the fakes. And unfortunately that's just enough to really hold it back from being considered a great episode. Because otherwise this episode is a good development for Pinkie as it shows Pinkie sees tons of what she'd be like if she was devoid of anything that makes her the 3-dimensional character she really is. Some might argue that in earlier episodes Pinkie acted pretty much exactly like one of those clones, and as a result they might like this episode because it shows them that Pinkie has indeed grown from that. That particular development makes this a good episode, but unfortunately not really enough to cover it. Though for Dave Polsky, it was pretty good if I do say myself.

Like I said Sonic Rainboom is the big winner of this one. And it just comes down to 2nd place. It is little bit difficult, as I do have reasons to enjoy the episode in both. But like I did when I have a hard time deciding, I choose which episode if I could only choose one to watch between Too Many Pinkies and Ticket Master. And I'm going with Too Many Pinkie Pies in 2nd Place. Ticket Master's fun and all with Twilight's sarcasm and deadpan expressions throughout. But I think the sheer entertainment value Too Many Pinkie Pies edges it over Ticket Master. So to recap, Sonic Rainboom is in 1st, Too Many Pinkie Pies in 2nd, and Ticket Master takes 3rd. Season 1 gets the .5 edge lead. Up next, we have our first Season 2 episode with Luna Eclipsed (Since most Season 2 episodes are in Round 2), heading head to head with Stare Master and One Bad Apple. Up until now it's been generally Season 1 Vs. Season 3. But next we finally have a true Season head to head here.

Season 1: 2.5
Season 3: 2

Northern Verve said:
^
I'm a bit scared of watching that review. Because I love Canterlot Wedding with all my heart. And I mean both parts. If they're too hard on it, I don't want to watch it. And that's final
Well, BronyCurious apparently tries to defend it, and he says at the beginning "it's genius". I really would just say watch and judge for yourself.

Have you guys seen Joshscorcher's reviews of MLP? He starts off not a brony, but then it starts getting to him. It's really funny to watch.

Purple Yoshi said:
Have you guys seen Joshscorcher's reviews of MLP? He starts off not a brony, but then it starts getting to him. It's really funny to watch.

I haven't but I've wondered if there was at least one series of reviews where someone tries to review alot of it from a Non-brony perspective but then gradually starts to watch it from a fan perspective. So it might be interesting to see.

Purple Yoshi said:
I saw his review of The Cyrstal Empire. Was NOT a fan. :/

EDIT:

Meghan McCarthy answered some season 4 questions on Twitter!

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/04/meghan-mccarthy-answers-bunch-of-stuff.html

Q: Anything cool planned for the CMC in S4?”
A: Yes!
Yay!

Q: A lot of bronies are upset about alicorn Twilight. Without giving anything away, do you think S4 will keep everyone happy?”
A very bold statement. Not sure if she and the crew are truly up to snub... But, we'll see.

Q: Are you tired of working on and talking about ponies?”
A: Never!
It's great to see that they enjoy working on this show. That passion has not run dry quite yet.

Q: Will we ever see Rarity as the central character again? She stole every scene/episode she was in this season….”
Hooray!

Q: Any chance Spike will get as much awesome moments/love in season 4 as he did (if not, more than) in season 3?”
A: Yep.
Hopefully, his episode(s) won't suck this time.

Q: will Fluttershy be a main focus in more episodes?
A: yep

Q: Any big musical numbers planned for the next season? 'This Day Aria' was amazing!”
A: Yes. So excited about S4 music.
It's times like this that make me sad that people can't find the joy and awesomeness in Daniel Ingram's songs.

Q: Will we be introduced to new characters?”
A: Yep. Some really good ones.
Another bold statement, but I love me some new characters!

Q: plan on adding in more pop-culture references throughout S4?
A: Definitely
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... I'll be honest, with a show like this, I really do NOT like pop culture references.

Q: Thoughts on pacing? Are you continuing the "epic" tone in S3 or are you planning on slowing it back down at all?”
A: Both
Pacing has always seemed to be an issue with this show... Not sure if it's improving either.

Q: Are there going to be any Slice-of-Life episodes in S4?”
A: Lots
I expected as such.

Q: How has it been working on S4 so far compared to S3 & 2? Was it ever overwhelming previously?”
A: Less overwhelming than S3
I bet... Given the 13-episode limit last season, some things probably came off worse then they should have.

Q: any new writers for the series?”
A: Yes
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh-!

Q: Coming to EFNW?” (Also Bronycon and Nightmare Nights)
A: If they invite me :)
I haven't been to a Brony convention, nor do I think I'll be at this year's Everfree Northwest.

Q: Will we see more of Rarity's generosity in S4?”
Yippee!

Q: Any chance of us finding out more about Equestrian history?”
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH-!

Q: if you were to describe season 4 in 1 word what would that word be?”
A: Ambitious
Interesting choice of word... I'm even more intrigued about what they have in store!

Q: Will we get to see any more members of the mane 6's families?”
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH-!

Q: How would you describe the overall tone of S4? Will the focus be greater on drama, humor, or adventure?”
A: Packed w/ all 3
Ups and downs, just like every previous season.

Q: What's your personal favourite episode you've written? And by extension what's your fav #MLPFiM ep?”
A: Hasn’t aired yet
Well, well...

Q: Will Daniel Ingram still be doing lots and lots of awesome songs for us to remix in season 4?”
A: Lots and lots and lots and lots
I just want to say, Mr. Ingram really outdid himself with the season 3 finale. Such awesome songs...

Q: etter question. Despite Twilight's new status she'll still have flaws and a lot of room for personal growth in S4 yes?”
There, see?

Q: How many more Alicorns should we be expecting?”
A: 53
lol, though I DO want to know more about alicorns in this season.

Back