Votes: 12 8.1%
  • Rainbow Dash

Votes: 31 20.9%
  • Rarity

Votes: 17 11.5%
  • Fluttershy

Votes: 35 23.6%

• Total voters
Does the failure song involve Pinkie Pie, because if it does, that'd be appropriate.

*shot*

Fassad said:
Does the failure song involve Pinkie Pie, because if it does, that'd be appropriate.

*shot*

No it's a Twilight song. She sings about being unprepared for something. But until we see the episode and/or context. We don't know what exactly she was not prepared for. The best guesses would be some test Celestia gave her she feels she can't do.

For the sake of the current topic. I'll just post the song itself. If you haven't already seen it, maybe it will hold you over until we get an airdate hopefully sometime this month.

Even if you've already seen it... it's still a great example of how the Animation has improved. The Mane flow and Twilight balancing on the Lily pads gets me everytime.

Northern Verve said:
it's still a great example of how the Animation has improved.
The effects were nice, but we've seen better not only in other shows but in the show itself; some of the big cataclysmic stuff from Season 2, like the climax of "Return to Harmony" or the barn being demolished in "Lesson Zero" just beat it out IMO. And even if the animation's improved, it still doesn't cover the absolute atrocity that is Twi's singing actress. Also, two minutes is a bit long in a 22-minute show to be filled with a song about absolutely nothing.

I'm being a little too critical of this season, aren't I?

Especially when it hasn't even begun, maybe the context of the episode will make it better. And I still disagree that Twi's singing is that bad. Sure it's not among the best, but it's not the worst either. Though much like B.B.B.F.F I like the sequence more then the actual song itself.

Besides, it made for the perfect preview because while we were spoiled of a Song it revealed nothing about what the episode is about. Which might bite in the blubber when it comes to the actual episode but otherwise yeah.

I also don't think we ever got anything like the Mane Flow in either of the first two seasons. It should also be noted that the whole series is made in flash. It certainly couldn't have been very easy to do that level of animation. It's near traditionally-animated Disney level. And they managed to do it with a program (Probably thanks to a higher budget) that normally studios get lazy on.

I think the thing that irks me the most is that there will be a song in every season. I'd be fine if it was in two or three, but one in every episode? That's overkill, imo. Not like it's going to make the show bad or anything, I'm just not a fan of the songs.

(It was this season, right?)

Yeah I think I heard somewhere that Season 3 will have more songs in it's span of 13 episodes then Season 1 and Season 2 did in 26 episodes. But I mean only per time, and not in number of songs. It's not like they're going to have 2 songs for every episode or something crazy like that.

Though the songs of the show are really popular anyway. Alot of fans find most of the songs actually kind of catchy and fun to listen to occasionally. Although the songs isn't the biggest thing I'm into the show for. I do happen to love This Day Aria in particular more then any song in the series. The songs also provide materiel for the people who make remixes and bolsters the Fan Music community as a whole.

I just don't really trust Hasbro to follow up with anything close to seasons one or two. Faust was with Season one, and she pretty much reinvented the series. Season two was pretty much Hasbro's answer to the show's internet popularity. But I don't think the writers can sustain quality for a third season, and most of their ideas recently are either stupid (song in every episode), baiting failure (adding Shining and Cadence as main characters), or just plain wrong (FUCKING FLUTTERDRAGON).

TL;DR Version: I think MLP will pull a Spongebob-esque Seasonal Rot this season.

Yeah, Hasbro are bloodsucking idiots. They didn't really care that Faust was bringing the show back, because they were expecting the same old stuff. But as soon as they found out about it's sudden popularity, well everyone LOOSES THEIR MINDS! Because it's all part of the plan.

Toad85 said:
I just don't really trust Hasbro to follow up with anything close to seasons one or two. Faust was with Season one, and she pretty much reinvented the series. Season two was pretty much Hasbro's answer to the show's internet popularity. But I don't think the writers can sustain quality for a third season, and most of their ideas recently are either stupid (song in every episode), baiting failure (adding Shining and Cadence as main characters), or just plain wrong (FUCKING FLUTTERDRAGON).

TL;DR Version: I think MLP will pull a Spongebob-esque Seasonal Rot this season.

Well Shining and Cadence can finally get their backstory/fleshed out personality that some people complained about in the Finale of Season 2. It would make it worse if they didn't have them ever appear again. Because then they become essentially Big Lipped Alligator characters. And we don't actually know if the Flutterdragon episode will happen.

And I doubt it will be Spongebob-esque if there is any dip in quality of anything. You can't really say anything until Season 3 has run it's course.

Threekayzod said:
Toad85 said:
baiting failure (adding Shining as a main character),
But I liked Shining Armor. :[

This actually reminds me. Whenever we've heard anything about Season 3. Other then the "I wasn't prepared for this" song we got a mention of Cadence. We already know she'll play a huge role in at least one or two episodes. But what about Shining? He probably has to adjust to the life of Royalty. And I'd also like to know if he had to leave his job as Captain in order to properly go with Cadence or if he's still Captain of the Royal Guard in some sort of way.

I also want to see Shining interact with all the Main 6 other then of course Twilight. Maybe at the very least a Brohoof with Rainbow or something.

Northern Verve said:
But what about Shining? He probably has to adjust to the life of Royalty. And I'd also like to know if he had to leave his job as Captain in order to properly go with Cadence or if he's still Captain of the Royal Guard in some sort of way.

Well if we look at the royal Family, prince Philip was in the army before he we'd Queen Elizabeth, and afterwards he stayed with the army for around two to three years, before finally retiring.

Bane said:
Northern Verve said:
But what about Shining? He probably has to adjust to the life of Royalty. And I'd also like to know if he had to leave his job as Captain in order to properly go with Cadence or if he's still Captain of the Royal Guard in some sort of way.

Well if we look at the royal Family, prince Philip was in the army before he we'd Queen Elizabeth, and afterwards he stayed with the army for around two to three years, before finally retiring.

That'd make sense then. And they advertised the Canterlot Wedding and everything like it was a Royal Wedding. They even brought in Tori Spelling during the ad breaks... lol

But regardless it could very well be like that.

Northern Verve said:
Bane said:
Northern Verve said:

That'd make sense then. And they advertised the Canterlot Wedding and everything like it was a Royal Wedding. They even brought in Tori Spelling during the ad breaks... lol

But regardless it could very well be like that.

I don't know how it works with the Royal men marrying commener women, but Kate Middleton was apparently an important person to begin with. I guess if she had a normal job like working in a shop or something, she'd have to leave that behind whether she'd like it or not.

I didn't get to see Tori Spelling. I just looked her up, and, well, I can honestly say she's freaking me out :P

Bane said:
I don't know how it works with the Royal men marrying commener women, but Kate Middleton was apparently an important person to begin with. I guess if she had a normal job like working in a shop or something, she'd have to leave that behind whether she'd like it or not.

Uh when did I ask how it works between Royal men and Commoner women? Obviously both Shining and Cadence were of high-rank in something when they married.

Northern Verve said:
Bane said:

Uh when did I ask how it works between Royal men and Commoner women? Obviously both Shining and Cadence were of high-rank in something when they married.

Nono, I was just saying, since we were on the topic of royal families and stuff like that.

Bane said:
Northern Verve said:
Bane said:

Nono, I was just saying, since we were on the topic of royal families and stuff like that.

Ah ok gotcha

Northern Verve said:
Toad85 said:

Well Shining and Cadence can finally get their backstory/fleshed out personality that some people complained about in the Finale of Season 2. It would make it worse if they didn't have them ever appear again. Because then they become essentially Big Lipped Alligator characters. And we don't actually know if the Flutterdragon episode will happen.

And I doubt it will be Spongebob-esque if there is any dip in quality of anything. You can't really say anything until Season 3 has run it's course.

True, I did complain about that. A lot.

And Luna and Derpy are pretty much BLAM characters, and they were done relatively well.

Toad85 said:
True, I did complain about that. A lot.

And Luna and Derpy are pretty much BLAM characters, and they were done relatively well.

Luna and Derpy were much different in that Luna was an already established character from the Pilot and Derpy was a very clear fanservice.

Also regarding this what you said earlier:
Faust was with Season one, and she pretty much reinvented the series. Season two was pretty much Hasbro's answer to the show's internet popularity.

This isn't entirely true because 1. Faust still supervised many of the Season 2 episodes and 2. Alot of Season 2 was worked on while Season 1 was still airing therefore at least half of it was still written when they had no idea how popular the show would become.

Shining and Cadence certainly wasn't something that was planned from the beginning. But regardless it's not the fault of Lauren Faust leaving that they were put in and made into a larger role, Lauren actually did supervise the Finale a bit and definitely had a hand in making Shining, Cadence, and I think even Chrysalis. The only thing they changed was Cadence to an Alicorn rather then a Normal Unicorn like Lauren originally planned. Despite the looks, Shining and Cadence weren't completely Hasbro just asking Studio B to shape the Season Finale around a playset they had planned.

Spoilerish sypnosis for the Crystal Empire two-parter!

In Adventures in the Crystal Empire, a magical empire has suddenly appeared in the arctic north of Equestria, and PRINCESS CELESTIA needs TWILIGHT SPARKLE and her friends to find a way to protect it. While her friends try to keep the Crystal Ponies occupied at the Crystal Faire, TWILIGHT SPARKLE searches for the hidden Crystal Heart that is the key to keeping their empire safe from harm! - Shout Factory Press Release

The DVD coming out for the episode had this information released

Still a little mysterious how this will go but nice to get even more info anyway. And a Crystal Heart is Cadence's Cutie Mark. There's probably going to be a connection there somewhere.

I think the more interesting thing is, what aims to harm the Crystal Empire?

Is this a throwback to Hearth's Warming Eve; maybe the Crystal Empire was the surviving remnants of the pre-blizzard Equestria?

Back