• Rainbow Dash

Votes: 31 20.9%
  • Rarity

Votes: 17 11.5%
  • Fluttershy

Votes: 35 23.6%

• Total voters
Gummy said:
I wrote a random rant about Dragon Quest that I felt like putting here.

I found it to be the worst episode of the season, if not the series.

1. Unlike in Secret of My Excess or even Owl's Well, Spike is portrayed not only as the one in the wrong, but the Mane 6, who clearly used him as a chew toy, were shown as being in the right; just like in Mare do Well, the ones who respond to fire with fire are praised. Spike got a half-assed apology at the end and then was put back in his place because he can't sell toys as well as ponies he's a boy Merriwether is a bad writer. Instead of an episode where we actually learn more about this world (which she did an okay job of in HWE), we basically learned that dragons migrate and that teenage dragons are *bleep*s. On that note...

2. It's sexist. No, really. Although it's obviously a show aimed at girls, it has done a good job in the past at positively portraying both sexes (and negatively; villains are about 50/50 gender-wise), like any Merriwether episode, we get one-dimensional antagonists. But you know what? After the belly flop, they began to treat Spike as an actual equal, so other than killing birds for fun, they treated him better than the Mane 6. I'm sure this was unintentional on this part. Merriwether likes simple messages; this one is effectively "Boys are all dumb unless they act as subordinates". And that's just what happens; Spike goes back to being a beta character, whether he likes it or not.

However, am I the only person thinking that the Crystal Empire will be the season finale? The EQD post shows that the leaks are labeled E12 and E13.
I can completely understand where you're coming from with it. I DO like the episode, to a point, but I feel it COULD have been a lot better, and while I feel kind of bad for saying this, I feel like it's all Merriweather Williams' fault for not being an adequate writer for this show. I really wish I had more nice things to say about her, but even her episodes that I liked had problems in it that kept me from loving it completely.

Smashgoom202 said:
even her episodes that I liked had problems in it that kept me from loving it completely.
What was wrong with Hearth's Warming (probably the only episode I liked from her)?

EDIT: By the way, what would you say your favorite writer is? Mine's Amy Keating Rogers.

Magikrazy said:
Smashgoom202 said:
even her episodes that I liked had problems in it that kept me from loving it completely.
What was wrong with Hearth's Warming (probably the only episode I liked from her)?
Just the standard "everyone's a jerk" which is in all her episodes. It KIND OF makes sense for the actual play itself seeing as they're just playing how the historical figures supposedly acted and it's how the country of Equestria was founded (even though I still don't like how obnoxious Rainbow Dash, Rarity, and Pinkie Pie acted), but then there's before and after the show where the characters just seem to immediately jump into arguing with each other for relatively minor reasons.

Not to mention she missed out on the oppurtunity for Pinkie Pie to jump out at the end and say "And that's how I got my cutie mark".

Magikrazy said:
By the way, what would you say your favorite writer is? Mine's Amy Keating Rogers.

M.A. Larson and/or Meghan McCarthy. Larson brought us Cutie Mark Chronicles, Return of Harmony, Sonic Rainboom, Secret of my Excess, and more. Meghan brought us Dragonshy, Party of One, Lesson Zero, Sweet and Elite, Hearts and Hooves Day, and Canterlot Wedding. That's all you need to know to see how awesome they are.

I was completely ok with hearing Meghan McCarthy getting Renzetti's job as Story editor.

Charlotte Fullerton's my favorite, since she wrote two of my favorite episodes, Suited For Success and May the Best Pet Win, in addition to Baby Cakes which I also loved and the story for Putting Your Hoof Down, which would have been a favorite of mine if not for...

Well, you know. :-\

Northern Verve said:
M.A. Larson and/or Meghan McCarthy. Larson brought us Cutie Mark Chronicles, Return of Harmony, Sonic Rainboom, Secret of my Excess, and more. Meghan brought us Dragonshy, Party of One, Lesson Zero, Sweet and Elite, Hearts and Hooves Day, and Canterlot Wedding. That's all you need to know to see how awesome they are.
Actually, I'm changing my vote to them after realizing that Amy wrote Friend in Deed, the episode that ruined Pinkie Pie for me.

McCarthy and Rodgers are my favorites.

Also, FiD? I felt that episode did a great job of developing her; she basically learns that some people don't like being annoyed, which for her is HUGE.

Let's see, she kept bothering Cranky until he finally became her friend.

Plus, it just so happens that Matilda has been living in Ponyville all these years, and she hasn't moved on from Cranky.

Magikrazy said:

Plus, it just so happens that Matilda has been living in Ponyville all these years, and she hasn't moved on from Cranky.
I FUCKING HATED THAT EPISODE IT WAS SO BAD

Magikrazy said:

That convenient coincidence was the weakest part of the episode (the ending). However, Pinkie entertains me far too much for me to not like any of her episodes (even FPK)

I still liked Friend in Deed to a point (I can't just say I dislike any episode of the series, I can only pick which were better then others) but yeah it's probably the weakest of the Pinkie Pie episodes. Feeling Pinkie Keen had it's set of problems but I loved the humor of the episode. I love it when in the Pinkie episodes they use classic cartoon jokes. Like the Pepe Le Pew chases in Griffon the Brush-Off and Party of One (Albeit in Party of One it's more of an angry Pepe), an Anvil being used in Feeling Pinkie Keen, and the Droopy chase in Friend in Deed. Party of One was absolutely great, nothing more needs to be said. Baby Cakes is the one episode where Pinkie is actually forced to be the straight man...er pony this time with having her hooves full with the Baby Cakes. And MMMystery on the Friendship Express had a pretty hilarious take on a mystery.

But Friend in Deed's only great part was the Smile song at the beginning. Because it perfectly describes what Pinkie Pie's character is all about. Afterwards though? Yeah Pinkie kind of annoys Cranky to the point that even the viewer is sympathizing with Cranky.

Northern Verve said:
Baby Cakes is the one episode where Pinkie is actually forced to be the straight man...er pony this time.
What about Swarm of the Century? She was the only one who knew what the Parasprites were and how to stop them.

Magikrazy said:
Northern Verve said:
Baby Cakes is the one episode where Pinkie is actually forced to be the straight man...er pony this time.
What about Swarm of the Century? She was the only one who knew what the Parasprites were and how to stop them.

If she would actually state outloud why she was getting the instruments instead of going "I need a banjo" and running off. (I also kinda consider Swarm of the Century more of a Main 6 episode then a purely Pinkie one. All of them have their moments in that episode.)

Marshal Dan Troop said:
Fassad said:
I pretty much hate all Pinkie Pie episodes.
She is the worst of the main 6
She's definitely the flattest of them, seeing as she's basically you're "cooky" character without much else to her. It's episodes like Party of One which shows there's more to here... perhaps in a dark way, but still.

I didn't really like A Friend in Deed, though my reasons are... complicated. I like it, but at the same time, there's just something about Pinkie Pie that really gets me thinking that this isn't as happy-go-lucky feel-good as it should be...

Smashgoom202 said:
Marshal Dan Troop said:
Fassad said:
I pretty much hate all Pinkie Pie episodes.
She is the worst of the main 6
She's definitely the flattest of them, seeing as she's basically you're "cooky" character without much else to her. It's episodes like Party of One which shows there's more to here... perhaps in a dark way, but still.
INB4Nabbersayssomethingaboutfluttershy
Anyways I've always says that her character should be a recurring character and nothing more.

Nabber said:
Honestly, I think Fluttershy is the most flat character... OH SCREW YOU SHOEY
Sure it's easy to write her off as "the shy one", but honestly (maybe it's my inner Fluttersy love speaking but still) think there's more to her then meets the eye.

With Pinkie, all we know is that she likes to party. According to The Cutie Mark Chronicles, she does this to keep smiling "forever". But where did she come up with the idea of a party? I mean, yeah, rainbows don't come that often, but how does "rainbow" lead to a "party"? Especially considering before the rainbow happened, nothing like that ever seemed to happen on the farm she grew up on. Where did she run off to? Was she going to look up what a party was? How would she know what to look for? Then there's the fact that Pinkie's an unreliable narrator so the whole thing can be called into question...

Fluttershy, on the other hand, has some serious self-esteem issues (something I can relate to), as seen in Hurricane Fluttershy when she was bullied in her past, which likely lead to being closed off from most other ponies and spending more time with animals and other creatures and critters. Because of that, she's more in-tune with them than her own species, so even to more menacing creatures, she's relaxed and calm, which may SEEM weird to from the outside, but makes sense when you realize that most monsters are just angry animals who probably don't know any better, and of course, animals don't insult or constantly judge you. Although I have to admit, her random fear of dragons seems rather arbitrary. I initially thought it was because dragons could also speak and could say mean things to her, but then I realized that when she first met Spike, she didn't even know dragons could talk, so yeah, it's weird.

And then there's her "hidden depths". Similar to Pinkie's "I want everyone to be happy or else I'll be depressed and crazy!", in The Best Night Ever, if Fluttershy can't connect with the animals she felt she could connect with, she feels the need to FORCE her love on them. Since, unlike ponies, the animals just run away from her and can't really say WHY they don't like her, and before she just assumed she was just a natural with animals, she doesn't know what she can do to befriend them, and, in a way, we see her true colors. While Pinkie Pie's more of a sad case of wanting friends, Fluttershy feels that she needs friends... OR ELSE. When I first saw that, though, it came as such a shock to me that I actually hated that episode for a long time. Upon re-watching it, though, it's become one of my favorites, and her freak-out is probably why. Even though I prefer her caring, understanding, always sorry for feeling inadequate self (because in a way, I see myself in her...), I just love her so much that even when she's angry, a jerk, or down-right crazy, I can't bring myself to hate her. I often joke around by saying she's perfect and can do no wrong, but in a way, even when she DOES do wrong, she immediately regrets it and apologizes (just like me), and I can't see how ANYONE could hate someone who fesses up to their own short-comings.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts. Is Fluttershy a "flat" character? It's possible, but she's far from the "flattest" as far as I'm concerned. Besides, with more episodes to come, there's more chances to flesh out her character, so there's that to look forward to.

But as far as I see it, that's all she does. She's either shy around everything to the point where she can't even step over a crack when she has wings, or raging over incredibly tiny things like being stuck behind a few ponies on a bridge. At least Pinkie's episodes have variety. We see her trying to befriend a new villager, babysitting her... however she's related to the Baby Cakes, and we even see how paranoid she can get when she doesn't have friends around her. How is that flat?

Nabber said:
But as far as I see it, that's all she does. She's either shy around everything to the point where she can't even step over a crack when she has wings, or raging over incredibly tiny things like being stuck behind a few ponies on a bridge. At least Pinkie's episodes have variety. We see her trying to befriend a new villager, babysitting her... however she's related to the Baby Cakes, and we even see how paranoid she can get when she doesn't have friends around her. How is that flat?
I'd like to point out I never said shes flat I just said shes a bad character

Back