Which plot was better?

Diddy_is_the_monkey

Monty Mole
Banned User
Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door: Army of X-Nauts trying to resurrect an ancient demon to conquer the world.

Or

Super Paper Mario: Evil leader trying to destroy all the worlds and dimensions.

What do you think? You could also say which plot was EXECUTED better, but I was just trying to put out a general question in the topic.

I think your title is not clear enough if you want to compare certain games
for example, you don't have to cast the first one away.....

I say Super Paper Mario considering EVERY SINGLE UNIVERSE IN EXISTENCE was on the verge of being destroyed. TTYD was just the basic "Peach gets kidnapped and now Mario has to rescue her". Plus the X-Nauts never gave any reason as to why the wanted to conquer the world. Unlike Count Bleck who did have a reason that wasn't cliche.

It liked TTYD better, it was deep and more complex, the SPM was just a cliche of the TTYD

superjeff64 said:
TTYD was just the basic "Peach gets kidnapped and now Mario has to rescue her".
Yeah, that's how it is in the Mario platformers, but in Thousand-Year Door, it was a lot more to it than that.

Nitro Man said:
superjeff64 said:
TTYD was just the basic "Peach gets kidnapped and now Mario has to rescue her".
Yeah, that's how it is in the Mario platformers, but in Thousand-Year Door, it was a lot more to it than that.
Right, in TTYD Bowser was replaced by a cardboard cutout power-hungry villain stereotype.

No I honestly don't see what else there is to it. Unless you're talking about the Shadow Queen, who is just another evil stereotype.

At least in Paper Mario 64 Bowser didn't ruin the world just for the sake of being needlessly evil. It happened as a side effect of his short-sighted self-serving goals.

I'm not too fond of either plot. Frankly though, "collect 7 or 8 things through 8 areas and save someone" makes for a very fun Mario game, IMO. I can easily live with lazy plots.

I don't care about the plots that much either but whenever someone starts gushing over TTYD's plot I get an urge to overanalyze PM64.

Herr Shyguy said:
I don't care about the plots that much either but whenever someone starts gushing over TTYD's plot I get an urge to overanalyze PM64.
And suddenly a castle pops out of the ground and lifts your house into the air as you type that post. PM64 is one plot that bothers me a bit.

I prefer Super Paper Mario. I bought it knowing all the story, and I still love it!

Super Paper Mario was more interesting, Count Bleck and his gang are much better than the smelly x-nauts.

Well, lets see. The original Paper Mario was the basic "Mario rescuing Peach and the Mushroom Kingdom from Bowser". So it gets points for sticking to Mario's origins and gets bonus points for being the first time Bowser defeated Mario.

As for TTYD, it was essentially a repeat, Peach gets kidnapped and isn't reunited with Mario again until the last chapter, but is more original as Bowser isn't the main villain and the plot twist at the end with Peach being the final boss.

Finally, there's Super Paper Mario where the main villain's reason for his plans were caused by sadness rather than a desire to rule the world and wanted to erase every universe from existence and there were a lot of plot twists in this one with Luigi turning into Mr. L and with Mario, Peach, Bowser and Luigi technically dying. Also, unlike Bowser, Grodus, and the Shadow Queen, Count Bleck fixed his mistake by getting rid of the void and bringing back all the universes that were already erased.

So in short, all 3 Paper Marios had good stories.

Back