Wii U

*stab*

I'm actually fairly disappointed with Nintendo concerning the Wii U.

Don't get me wrong, I love Nintendo and I'm sure great games are going to come to the platform- but the platform itself is very, very underwhelming in power- and if it follows the pattern of the rest of the consoles, it's going to be just as terrible as the ones this generation were.

Whoa, whoa whoa- you don't like consoles?

Since the beginning of the Seventh Generation, no.

Let me explain: our current consoles are based on hardware over six years old, and even back then, the hardware they were built on was pretty...weak.

I'm not a PC elitist- but gaming consoles are really just weaker, cheaper PCs devoted solely to gaming. And that's okay!

Or it would be.

The appeal behind console gaming has always been a quick and easy pick-up-and-play experience- but what about now? Honestly think about it.

All the firmware, software and game updates- and, in the case of the HD twins, you can't even do something else while you wait for them to download and install. Then there's half-assed multimedia capabilities: sure, the PS3 can play Blu-Ray, but it has the shittiest web browser I've ever seen, and the Wii and 360 are no better on that front. The Wii doesn't even pretend to be a multimedia center, but you can make it into (a fairly bad) one if you hack it, like many people have.

Then there's Internet connectivity. Don't get me wrong- I fucking love the Internet- and platforms like PlayStation Network, the Virtual Console, XBLA, Steam and OnLive show just how much internet connectivity can do for gaming.

But that's where we come across problems.

The PS3 doesn't understand the meaning of high-speed internet. If a patch for a game is available, you're forced to install it and sit through the process before you can touch your game or do anything else.

Xbox Live is terribly overpriced, makes you look at ads on a paid service, and, despite the popular belief, is a really shitty environment for independent developers.

The Virtual Console/eShop similarly isn't as good with higher internet speeds, but it serves its purpose- no serious problems of note here.

OnLive is a great service, but because of their recent financial issues, there's a serious risk of you losing all the games you purchased- or the licenses for them, anyways. In addition, you're going to need to be connected at all times to play the games through this streaming service- a huge no-no for people under bandwidth caps, instable financial situations, and shitty connections.

Steam is awesome, but the licenses issue also remains- if you buy a game on Steam, you're buying a license to play that game, not ownership of the game itself.
Thankfully, this has yet to lead to any issues. Valve is a favorite company among gamers, and I doubt that's going to change anytime soon.

The Wii U is going to get more internet integration, for free- but I have a strong, strong feeling that it's going to result in some barriers of its own between the player and the game.

Why do you hate gaming? Why do you hate Nintendo?

I don't.

I love gaming, and I love Nintendo, too. Their titles this generation are going to be a blast.

But their hardware, like before, is going to be greatly overshadowed by the PS4 and Xbox successor- under normal circumstances, this wouldn't bother me, but the Wii U's power is so feeble- its processor is slower than the PS3/360, and its graphics are only slightly stronger than theirs. The only real place it has an advantage is in RAM, but face it- most of that extra system power is going to be going to the tablet controller.

I'm buying a gaming PC, soon.

This gaming PC will be able to run Wii games at 1080p, with antialiasing and all the other features that come with stronger hardware- it'll be a better Wii than the one sitting on the floor beside me right now.

This gaming PC will drastically outperform the PS3 and the Xbox successor.

But I'm still going to be spending my money on these consoles because of their exclusives and the unique gameplay experiences that come with them.

It's just a shame that it's going to feel like such a waste.

Already did that. That's why I bought an external hard drive.

I want to play my games in HD, though. And I don't want to have to leave my desk to do that.

So I'm getting a bigger monitor, a better PC, and Dolphin.

I've done my research. I'm already deadset on what I plan to do.

Playing on real console give you feel what it is real and I have emulator on my Wii and I played EarthBound with classic controller and I feel that I'm using SNES controller

I have a PS3 pad for a gamepad on my PC and a bluetooth receiver for my Wii remote on Dolphin.

I'm literally missing nothing.

Things the Wii U needs:

Better "internet" - And I mean the internet channel...

Multi-Tasking - Right now Im stuck to a Wii with a keyboard to go on the internet since my computer stopped working <s>andinolonghavetimefortrollcomments</s> I get bored often and want to play a game, but when I want to go back to the internet I would need to save and that crap...

Tabs - It needs tabs on the internet channel.

^Are just my wants...

lol I went on the internet channel and i went on mspa and the wii froze and my remote kept vibrating.

Koopa Kid said:
lol I went on the internet channel and i went on mspa and the wii froze and my remote kept vibrating.
That's because the browser couldn't handle it.

Only one thing to do with a vibrating remote.

Gray Mann said:
Koopa Kid said:
That's because the browser couldn't handle it.

Only one thing to do with a vibrating remote.
The internet channel sucks so much. I used it once and deleted it.

They really should improve it with the Wii U.

Back