Pokemon HeartGold Team Suggestions

Gumball Machine

Celestial Guide
I recently erased my old HeartGold file and started a new one. Anyway, I'm unsure about which pokemon I should put on my team.
Here's what I have so far:
1. Bayleef
2. Flaffy
3. Magikarp
4. Pidgey (as a FLY slave)
Pokemon I'm considering:
Heracross
Miltank
Swinub (so I have an ice type to deal with Clair and Lance)
Magmar

Any suggesstions/advice you guys could give me would be appreciated. By the way, I just defeated Bugsy so I'm headed to Goldenrod next.

There's the normal Gym Leader, so it's best to have a Pokémon with a Fighting move, because that Miltank is a true nightmare.

superjeff64 said:
I recently erased my old HeartGold file and started a new one. Anyway, I'm unsure about which pokemon I should put on my team.
Here's what I have so far:
1. Bayleef
2. Flaffy
3. Magikarp
4. Pidgey (as a FLY slave)
Pokemon I'm considering:
Heracross
Miltank
Swinub (so I have an ice type to deal with Clair and Lance)
Magmar

Any suggesstions/advice you guys could give me would be appreciated. By the way, I just defeated Bugsy so I'm headed to Goldenrod next.
Use a Bayleef with sleep powder or poison powder on Milktank. Does any Pokemon on your team know attract? If one does then use it on Milktank. The battle should be a breeze!

悪の女神 said:
that Miltank is a true nightmare.

It sure is.

PokemonMaster said:
Use a Bayleef with sleep powder or poison powder on Milktank. Does any Pokemon on your team know attract? If one does then use it on Milktank. The battle should be a breeze!

None of my Pokemon know attract but Bayleef does know Poison Powder and Flaffy has Flash and Thunder Wave.

superjeff64 said:
悪の女神 said:

It sure is.

PokemonMaster said:

None of my Pokemon know attract but Bayleef does know Poison Powder and Flaffy has Flash and Thunder Wave.

No, use Geodude/Graveler to wall the Miltank.

Perhaps use the traded Machop to kill the Gym Leader.

superjeff64 said:
悪の女神 said:

It sure is.

PokemonMaster said:

Use Flash on Milktank until it no longer works. Milktank won't be able to hit you most of the time.

Scrub Jay said:

Don't really like using the Geodude/Machop families since they can only reach their final evolution by trading.

Also, would anybody recommend that I capture a Miltank of my own? I checked Bulbapedia and its stats look good and its moveset is pretty nice too. I'm a little bit skeptical since I never used a normal-type before since they weren't super-effective on anything, but I'm willing to give Miltank a chance.

superjeff64 said:
Scrub Jay said:

Don't really like using the Geodude/Machop families since they can only reach their final evolution by trading.

Also, would anybody recommend that I capture a Miltank of my own? I checked Bulbapedia and its stats look good and its moveset is pretty nice too. I'm a little bit skeptical since I never used a normal-type before since they weren't super-effective on anything, but I'm willing to give Miltank a chance.
Use Raticate. Overall only 1 Lugia has beaten me.

I used Onix and he walled all of Miltanks attacks. I didn't do too much damage, but neither did Miltank so I killed it.

Baby Luigi Lacertae said:
I used Onix and he walled all of Miltanks attacks. I didn't do too much damage, but neither did Miltank so I killed it.
If you had Screech the battle would of been easy as chocolate covered pie with a strawberry.

Update: I caught a Heracross, Magikarp evolved and Bayleef learned Magical Leaf in exchange for Poison Powder.

And to everyone who's posted so far, I appreciate the advice and suggesstions, but I need them for which pokemon to use for my team, not for winning the gym battles.

Use Raticate, Bayleef, Heracross, Gyradose, Dragonite and Tyranitar.

Must have moves:
Bayleef: Leech Seed, Protect and Poison Powder.

Raticate: Hyper Fang, Dig and Attract.

Tyranitar: Earthquake, Stone Edge and some sort of defense lowering move.

Gyradose: Waterfall, Ice Fang and Aqua Tail.

Dragonite: Aqua Tail, Thunder Punch, Fire Punch and Fly.

Heracross: Horn Drill, Bug Bite and Close Combat.

Most beastly team invented.

I don't know if all of these are in Heart Gold but my team in regular Gold looked something like this.

Typhlosion
Ampharos
Graveler/Golem
Red Gyarados
[Get a flying Pokemon, like Pidgeot (for Fly)]
[Get a powerhouse, makes sure it can learn Strength or Cut (most can)]

I'm not sure if I covered all the HMs. If I did, start a new game and build this. (Warning: this might suck by other people's standards. Personally I flew through regular Gold with something similar.)

And try not to give both Strength and Cut to the sixth one. I think Typholosion can learn Strength but IDK if you want to waste a move.

Mason said:
1. Typhlosion
2. Ampharos
3. Graveler/Golem
4. Red Gyarados
5. [Get a flying Pokemon, like Pidgeot (for Fly)]
6. [Get a powerhouse, makes sure it can learn Strength or Cut (most can)

1. Used Cyndaquil as my starter my first time playing HG and I'll admit its a good Pokemon, but choosing the fire starter isn't really my style.
2. Flaffy's a few levels away from evolving. It should become Ampharos by the time I get to Cianwood.
3. With the exception of Magmar and Electabuzz, I don't like using Pokemon that can only evolve by trading.
4. Captured it yesterday, but I have a regular Gyarados and its good enough for me.
5. Captured Pidgey, using it as a FLY slave
6. Would Heracross and Miltank count as powerhouses? I suppose I could get a Larvitar.

superjeff64 said:
6. Would Heracross and Miltank count as powerhouses? I suppose I could get a Larvitar.
Get a pseudo legendary they could act as great powerhouses:

LIST:

149.png
248.png
373.png
376.png
445.png
I know you can't get Hydarigon in Gen 4 but here it is:
635.png

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/4/48/635.png

PokemonMaster said:
superjeff64 said:

248.png

I have a Pupitar right now, with some grinding, it should become a Tyranitar eventually.

My team:
1. Meganium
2. Ampharos
3. Gyarados
4. Magmar
5. Pupitar
6. Jynx

superjeff64 said:
PokemonMaster said:
superjeff64 said:

248.png

I have a Pupitar right now, with some grinding, it should become a Tyranitar eventually.

My team:
1. Meganium
2. Ampharos
3. Gyarados
4. Magmar
5. Pupitar
6. Jynx
If you can switch Jynx with Sneasal.

PokemonMaster said:
If you can switch Jynx with Sneasal.

I can't. Sneasel can only evolve using a Razor Claw which is only available at the Battle Frontier and Bulbapedia says I can't go in there until after I finish the Pokemon League.

>>superjeff64
Who actually is requiring you to evolve every Pokémon before entering the League?

Back