Egyptian man names his daughter "Facebook"

It just doesn't sound...right... or ethical to call your kids something like Microsoft, Nintendo, Xbox, Toyota, Mercedes, etc. though.

Maybe we should use a system like what the French did: select a name from a list of existing ones, but I think that is kind of dumb, though.

Scrub Jay said:
It just doesn't sound...right... or ethical to call your kids something like Microsoft, Nintendo, Xbox, Toyota, Mercedes, etc. though.
I think there's plenty of Japanese people named Toyota.

And how many of you are living in Egypt right now? That's about how many of you are qualified to tell me how that culture will react to a child being named Facebook.

Herr Shyguy said:
Scrub Jay said:

And how many of you are living in Egypt right now? That's about how many of you are qualified to tell me how that culture will react to a child being named Facebook.
Come to think of it it probably doesn't matter since English isn't their native tongue, at least as far as I know. I don't think we'd notice anything except the fact that the name was foreign if a girl here was named Hershefdew (which means Facebook in Egyptian if this thing is accurate.)

Well if there Egyptian, & he named his daughter Facebook, that means in Egypt its still called facebook :eek:

Herr Shyguy said:
Scrub Jay said:
This is true. Same goes with Mercedes and Benz.

But several companies, like Porsche or Ford are last names of people. I'm not sure if there are any people out there with either a first name or last name called "Facebook" besides this wretched girl. Can't he name something else Facebook? :-\

Cosmopolitan said:
But several companies, like Porsche or Ford are last names of people. I'm not sure if there are any people out there with either a first name or last name called "Facebook" besides this wretched girl. Can't he name something else Facebook? :-\
Herr Shyguy said:

I don't give a damn about Facebook, and I'm mostly referring to the site...

I've heard about what the Egyptians gone through, though.

Really?
I dunno who in their right mind would name their daughter "Facebook". I mean, it's okay if you were to name other things, like a box, Facebook, but your kids? Ahh... -n-

Back