Author Topic: Luigi 64DD's attempts at art  (Read 2372 times)

Savato

• Parasitic form of death
  • King Bowser
  • LED42
  • Also known as "Face-off with death"
    • View Profile
Re: Luigi 64DD's attempts at art
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2017, 11:30:59 PM »
This is actually good! I just suggest you to put more color on the middle of the nose, the arms and the body, since it gives a...flattened impression (terrible explanation, yes). Otherwise, everything is good, keep it up!

Czario

• Am I Russian or Italian, though?
  • Dry Bowser
  • Luigi 64DD
  • I play Tetris, I guess...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2017, 05:48:05 PM »
I understand what you're referring to, but I'm not sure how to go about doing that. Do you know of any examples?

Savato

• King Bowser
  • LED42
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2017, 08:42:42 PM »
Sure! Just take a look to this image...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Focus on the arms, the nose and the body. See how it slowly changes to a lighter tone (giving a 3D impression), this is for the arms, so try to avoid making it with just one tone of green. Now let's take a look to the nose, it's almost the same as with the arms, except for that light on the top-left corner, try using it because, without it, the nose looks a bit weirdo-lairdo (I created a word :P). Now for the body, see the angle of the...increment of tones, your character is not inclined, so you may want to change to angle of the increasing (or decreasing, for me it's the same thing, only backwards). And TA-DAAHH!! Your drawing is done. If you didn't understand something, let me know. Hope this helps!

Czario

• Dry Bowser
  • Luigi 64DD
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2017, 10:48:58 PM »
I did an experiment with what you said, but... I'm not sure it turned out so well.
As you can see, I only changed Luigi's right arm, right leg, and a little bit of his left leg. So, is this at least going in the right direction? Tbh, I'm not sure this is really necessary besides the nose which does look kinda flat. I guess it might make it look better, but I'm not sure it's inherently better so much as a different and more detailed style. To kinda get what I mean, see this random fanart, which has little shading but still looks good. Then again, I could be totally wrong, but I still don't know if I wanna put in that much effort. 

Isabelle

• Christmas puppy. Technically not a pup, but what would you call a dog this adorable?
  • Shine Sprite
  • Koops
  • Dog Waifu. Also 8 posh emotes reside here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2017, 10:32:31 AM »
Im impressed with your improvements really! Great job!

If you can make the shading a little smoother, it would be even better, but thats how I see it, maybe its not as good as Im saying, so its up to you. But this is great work nonetheless. Keep it up!

Savato

• King Bowser
  • LED42
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2017, 12:28:28 PM »
Yep, it looks better now! Amazing job! And yes, what Koops said, the lines are a little rustic, try making 'em smoother, now it REALLY looks good! help me please I dunno how to draw hands

Czario

• Dry Bowser
  • Luigi 64DD
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2017, 04:52:44 PM »
Thanks, guys! I'm surprised you guys think it looks better, because I didn't think it looked so great. I think if I make it smoother like you guys said it may look good. Conveniently, I finished coloring my next drawing last night and I haven't started shading it yet, so I'll try to implement this. Stay tuned for that soon!

Mario's Drunken Holiday Special

• "It's Christmas again. It will never be the sa-a-a-a-ame. I know there's only sadness in my so-o-o-o-ul."
  • Donkey Kong
  • LeftyGreenMario
  • R.I.P. Walkazo December 16, 1991 - March 27, 2016
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2017, 06:12:05 PM »
Hm, how about you draw the overalls (particularly around the armpit area for a lack of a better word) so they wrap around Luigi instead of being a straight line? Not hard, all right?
"Mario begins his ascension to the celestial realm, Luigi spontaneously becomes a twitching pile of boneless flesh and Daisy is nonchalantly like 'this is fine'." -NanoRim

Roserade

• President of the Literature Club
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • King Bowser
  • "Write your way into his heart..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2017, 06:21:06 PM »

I can't believe I'm still clicking on these from the Awards Scavenger Hunt

Isabelle

• Christmas puppy. Technically not a pup, but what would you call a dog this adorable?
  • Shine Sprite
  • Koops
  • Dog Waifu. Also 8 posh emotes reside here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2017, 02:15:23 PM »
Exactly

Czario

• Dry Bowser
  • Luigi 64DD
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2017, 04:15:50 PM »
Hm, how about you draw the overalls (particularly around the armpit area for a lack of a better word) so they wrap around Luigi instead of being a straight line? Not hard, all right?
Sure, whenever I draw Luigi again.  ;)

It's no sticker, but there may be more to it than you think...

Lakituthequick

• with lowercase T and Q
  • Awards Committee
  • Celestial Guide
  • Rest in Peace, Walkazo 😢
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2017, 04:54:16 PM »

You're welcome.

(Also neat drawings L64DD!)

Czario

• Dry Bowser
  • Luigi 64DD
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2018, 06:56:49 PM »
Time for a SUPER GIGA TERRA UPDATE!
I've got 3 different drawings to show today. The first one is the one I've been "working on" since September, the drawing of the user who I've been friends with since before I joined the forum. You've all been wondering who it could be (or more likely you weren't) and now it will finally be revealed. The user is...

Spoiler: The user (click to show/hide)

Some of you might not know it, but YTSSM was one of the first people I made friends with on the wiki. That was before I joined the forum, when I was still new to the community. Therefore, I thought he should be the first user I drew after myself (nevermind that I technically released my BLOF drawing for Secret Santa first). I used this Yoshi artwork as the primary reference. I hope I didn't follow that reference too closely...

Concerning Koops and LED42's shading advice, I tried to do it on this drawing as seen here (look at the shading on his feet), but I was unsatisfied with the result. I decided I would do the same type of shading I did with my OC's drawing because it took much less time and was, well, easier. Because of how long this drawing took me, I've started using colored pencils for other drawings. However, I still want to do digital drawings, so what art program would you guys recommend? Trying to make digital art from a scanned paper drawing with MS Paint is way too tedious, so I'm gonna want a better program.

The second drawing is of a user who has a rather fowl opinion of me, and her birthday was yesterday. This drawing is my present to her:
Happy Birthday Lefty Green Mario! I feel a little bad for giving a present to only LGM when BLOF's birthday was yesterday too... but to be fair, I drew a picture for her for Secret Santa, so it evens out (hopefully). Oh, here's a link to that in case anyone missed it.  Anyway, LGM is holding a bazooka in the picture as a reference to her username on the wiki, which is Bazooka Mario. Another detail of this picture is that if you look closely at the sky to the upper left of the cloud above LGM's head, you'll see another cameo... By the way, sorry if it looks a bit faint compared to the last drawing; my scanner doesn't pick up the color perfectly.

The third and last drawing is of the character that I'm currently themeing after, Plague Knight. It's not colored yet, though.

That's it for now. Next up (besides coloring Plague Knight) is probably Marie or perhaps a certain user who is one shell of a guy. I hope you guys like the new drawings, and feel free to leave feedback!

• "It's Christmas again. It will never be the sa-a-a-a-ame. I know there's only sadness in my so-o-o-o-ul."
  • Donkey Kong
  • LeftyGreenMario
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2018, 07:06:36 PM »
Nicey nice. If you're ever interested in improving the line art, I suggest practice drawing with your shoulder and arm, and less with the wrist. For the time being, drawing programs do offer a way to stabilize your curved lines, so look into that. As for shading, the reason shading didn't look good probably because it was flat and inconsistent; you shaded only the very far parts of the shoe when I like to think of shading more of wrapping around the shoe. If you want to practice shading, it may help to pick up a figure of Yoshi or study a 3d render of him and see how the light interacts with the shape.
"Mario begins his ascension to the celestial realm, Luigi spontaneously becomes a twitching pile of boneless flesh and Daisy is nonchalantly like 'this is fine'." -NanoRim

Yoshi the SSM

• (Space Station Manager)
  • King Bowser
  • I'm Yoshi the Space Station Manager from the wiki.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2018, 07:32:54 PM »
WOW! Pretty good picture of my avatar. Really shows my commanding and organization aspects. Although, I think it is based to another user not on the foruma's avatar, but that is based from what the user is based on's artwork. Though, you based it on that artwork, it isn't all the way. I am talking about the two circles, one on each foot. Also, the legs near the shoes don't look like they go into the shoe like the other image.
I don't have time to give you a ride, I am managing a space station. And ask me something here:www.marioboards.com/index.php?topic=38633.msg1934343#msg1934343

Lord Bowser

• Super High School Level Bowser
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • "It's funny because we're all living in a simulation and free will is a lie."
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2018, 08:08:22 PM »
regardless of whatever he based it on its still a great drawing

that drawing and the one of lgm was a very nice gesture from luigi 64dd and i'd like to thank him for his efforts in doing so :bowser:

Lucinavidad

• AKA Shygul
  • Donkey Kong
  • Shadowshy
  • Happy whatever holiday(s) you celebrate.
    • View Profile
    • my new website plz check it out and share on facebook
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2018, 08:30:55 PM »
WOW! Pretty good picture of my avatar. Really shows my commanding and organization aspects. Although, I think it is based to another user not on the foruma's avatar, but that is based from what the user is based on's artwork. Though, you based it on that artwork, it isn't all the way. I am talking about the two circles, one on each foot. Also, the legs near the shoes don't look like they go into the shoe like the other image.

• Donkey Kong
  • LeftyGreenMario
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2018, 08:56:00 PM »
no shame in using references

if it gets you to appreciate a character's proportions and helps people to develop a more analytical approach to drawing (which is important, you have to draw what you see rather than draw what you THINK, make measurements, be familiar with foreshortening, all that jazz), more power

even then, you won't stop using references. even professionals use plenty of them because if you draw from memory without a thorough understanding of how proportions and stuff are, it'll be the same trap as "drawn what you think you're seeing".

Czario

• Dry Bowser
  • Luigi 64DD
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2018, 10:29:06 PM »
I'm not sure what you mean by the part about another user's avatar, but I didn't want it to be too similar to the Itadaki Street artwork. I think my idea for the pose came from seeing that artwork so I used it a reference and it ended up looking pretty similar. In any case, it wasn't supposed to look exactly like that artwork except your OC instead of Yoshi.

regardless of whatever he based it on its still a great drawing

that drawing and the one of lgm was a very nice gesture from luigi 64dd and i'd like to thank him for his efforts in doing so :bowser:
Thank you for your appreciation!

no shame in using references

if it gets you to appreciate a character's proportions and helps people to develop a more analytical approach to drawing (which is important, you have to draw what you see rather than draw what you THINK, make measurements, be familiar with foreshortening, all that jazz), more power

even then, you won't stop using references. even professionals use plenty of them because if you draw from memory without a thorough understanding of how proportions and stuff are, it'll be the same trap as "drawn what you think you're seeing".
Yeah, if I drew from memory, I could draw a decent Yoshi but not a great Yoshi. You'd have to be very skilled to draw something just as well from memory as with references. If you want your drawing to be higher quality, you should use references.

Czario

• Dry Bowser
  • Luigi 64DD
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2018, 02:43:02 PM »
Hello people! The Art Contest was a thing that happened. As a result of this thing, the following thing was a thing:

Nothing like a tried-and-true Mario Wiki meme for the art contest. Be sure to check out my entry and the other entries and vote for the one you like best!

By the way, I have been drawing more recently, but I might not post much of it here for reasons. Or maybe I will, I don't know. In any case, I do have something I'm planning to post but it's not quite ready yet, so stay tuned for that soon (hopefully).