Favorite and least favorite (unfavorite?) Mario platformer levels.

FrozenDragon150

Koopa Troopa
Topic title, by "platformer levels" I mean, include only levels/stages that appear in the Mario platformers, of course :>

My favorites are probably the three Bowser stages from SM64, as I lean towards the obstacle course-like levels. Another one would be the "Gateway's Purple Coins" mission from SMG, in contrast to what I said previously, I only like this one because I like flying around there and watch the scenery, and that's a pretty good excuse to do it :3

Least favorite is hands down the Pachinko Game (as the Wiki calls it) from SMSunshine >o> I got stuck there for quite a while, being really unintuitive and frustrating, heh.

Everyone else's? :>

Cosmic Cove is probably my favorite Mario level, and it's ironic that it comes from my most hated Mario game. I tend to like heavily ambient levels (and hence why I like Breath of the Wild's score, which is quite an unpopular opinion - also I love the World themes from Super Mario Galaxy 2 too, and they're mostly ambient) and Cosmic Cove is no exception. I like the relaxing, yet mysterious setting of the place as well as freezing the lake (which is beautiful) and the spacey theme of the level. I love outer space a lot.

My least favorite level are The Perfect Run and Champion's Road. Both are visually abhorrent levels that look like they were created by an unprofessional romhacker wanting to be cool and hip by intentionally making their levels difficult while sacrificing good level design, fun, and likability of them. Want an example of a difficult platforming level done correctly? Rayman's Land of the Livid Dead comes to mind. Very difficult, but also very beautiful and impressive to look at.

Favorites:
Melty Molten Galaxy because of the level design, missions and the music.
Too many levels from 3D World to count.

Worst:
World 9-7 from NSMB Wii. Nearly every platform is an ice block, and there are many Fire Piranha Plants around. Enough said.

I don't know if I can choose between many SM64 levels as my favorite, but I really like Bob-omb Battlefield, Whomp's Fortress, the Bowser levels, Wet-Dry World and Goomboss Battle from DS (it has an uncreative name but I like the level itself). Other levels I like are Good Egg Galaxy, Toy Time Galaxy and again, the Bowser levels in Super Mario Galaxy. And of course, Throwback Galaxy from SMG2.

As for least favorite, design-wise definitely Pachinko Game because dear God was this even playtested. Though, the level that has given me the most rage that I can remember is Piranha Creeper Creek After Dark in 3D World. Oh beating the level is easy enough. But good luck getting the Green Stars, especially the second one. That level is the biggest reason I haven't 100%'d 3D World. I haven't played Champion's Road or Perfect Run so it would be unfair for me to criticize them.

On a side note, I've found most 2D levels to be generally forgettable. The most memorable ones are memorable because they are etched into people's childhood memories from playing them so many times. Design-wise most 2D levels do little to stand out IMO.

Champion's Road is not that hard with a Tanooki suit, but Peach and Rosalina can still beat the level fairly easily without it as long as you know what you are doing.

Froyo said:
Least favorite is hands down the Pachinko Game (as the Wiki calls it) from SMSunshine >o> I got stuck there for quite a while, being really unintuitive and frustrating, heh.

This one, along with the Lily Pad Ride from SMS, Champion's Road from SM3DW, and The Perfect Run from SMG2. Of them all, I have yet to beat the latter...

EDIT: Favorite of them all is probably Bowser in the Sky from SM64 and the Puzzle Plank Galaxy from SMG2 mainly due to the music.

My favorite levels are the second mission of the battlerock galaxy, All gust garden galaxy, toy time and melty molten galaxies from mario galaxy 1.

And probably my least favorite is the infamous bloody perfect run from SMG2

As for DK levels, my favorites are Jungle Japes, Angry Aztec, Frantic Factory, Fungi Forest and Creepy Castle from DK64 due to their level design and music.

Least favorite is Platform Perils from DKC.

Back