Author Topic: Articles on technical concepts  (Read 6262 times)

Glowsquid

• Dans une galaxie près de chez vous!
  • Global Moderator
  • Shine Sprite
    • View Profile
    • http://darkadia.com/member/glowsquid
Re: Articles on technical concepts
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2017, 09:59:50 AM »

So, I'm wondering: should we make a page also for these stats,

In my opinion? Totally.
Rest in peace, Walkazo.

Camwoodstock

• ~the lost soul of tong-nou~
  • Blooper
  • the lamest fartwad you'll ever darn meet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2018, 03:22:02 AM »
So, I'm wondering: should we make a page also for these stats, or just report a summary on the main page adding then the link to this table I just made at the beginning of this post?
Really, either/or could work. It'd likely take a dedicated method of explaining these either way, it's mostly a matter of preference as how to organize things.

Should we have [[Category:Technical concepts]]?
Yes.
~Camwoodstock - the poor sod you'll summon if you bought the dried shroom AFTER the dusty hammer
pfq | button | more to come

Glowsquid

• Dans une galaxie près de chez vous!
  • Global Moderator
  • Shine Sprite
    • View Profile
    • http://darkadia.com/member/glowsquid
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2018, 11:42:07 PM »
In April 2017, someone created a "loading zone" article to explain how the loading in SMRPG and Paper Mario works but it was deleted on the ground of being "too generic". In my opinion, this was not a good call and is an example of how lackluster and low-priority the wiki's coverage of the inner workings of the Mario games is. This was the text of the page.

{{delete-request}}
{{construction}}
'''Loading zones''' are the sections of the screen in ''[[Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars]]'', [[Paper Mario (series)|''Paper Mario'' series]], and the ''[[Mario & Luigi (series)|Mario & Luigi series]]'' that are the connectors between playable sections of the map. Touching a loading zone will cause [[Mario]] to immediately transition to the screen that corresponds to the loading zone. Loading zones also take the forms of [[Warp Pipe]]s, doors, and elevators, these of which are the only forms of loading zones in ''[[Super Paper Mario]]''.

==History==
===''Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars''===
In ''Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars'', Mario is transitioned to the next screen once he hits the point about halfway across the zone. The screen then quickly fades to black and Mario is placed in front of the loading zone of the screen it leads to, where gameplay continues from there, or leads to the map screen, where the region Mario wishes to go to is then chosen. Doors in this game automatically open when Mario comes into contact with them, so long as they are not locked. This does not trigger the loading zone as in the ''Paper Mario'' series, instead the loading zone is still triggered as normal, the door only serving to add aesthetic appeal, or to require the use of a key. [[Springboard]]s can also act as loading zones, as well as falling off screen in the [[Factory (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars)|Factory]], or down the clouds in [[Nimbus Land]].

===''Paper Mario''===
Loading zones are more complicated in ''[[Paper Mario]]'', which can be exploited for many various difficult glitches in the game. The entire zone of the loading zone is active in this game, taking the screen transition if [[Mario]] is on the loading zone, or any land above it, for more than one frame. One of the only places where taking a loading zone from above can be seen is in the room before [[Madam Merlar]]'s room, where the upper area is accessed early by clipping out of bounds and falling to the top, then crossing the back to the area where the [[Mega Jump]] [[Badge]] can be found. Touching the land above the loading zone will cause Mario to enter Madam Merlar's room, even though he was above it. Door loading zones are only active when {{button|n64|A}} is pressed in front of it, or {{button|n64|A}} is pressed directly after unlocking it. Using glitches to fall behind a door shows that the protrusion behind the door does not act as a loading zone, only pressing {{button|n64|A}} in front of the door will cause it to activate. For aesthetic appeal, the angle in which Mario enters the loading zone is preserved between screens to add to the realism of walking through them. By using glitches to trigger a loading zone from across the room, the angle is still preserved as Mario angles himself as walking towards the center of the loading zone. If Mario triggers the loading zone from extreme enough of an angle, he will fall out of bounds as soon as he enters the next room, making a multitude of glitches possible. A majority of loading zones have invisible walls surrounding them, to restrict out of bounds access. Some areas however, the most prominent being [[Jade Jungle]], do not have invisible walls around the zones, making out of bounds glitches more useful.

===''Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door''===
Loading zones are slightly different in ''[[Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door]]''. Instead of the ground itself triggering the screen transition, a thin invisible wall at the front of the loading zone triggers the screen transition. This was likely to prevent the glitches in ''Paper Mario'' from being abused. Touching the loading zone while moving at any point on while Mario is within the invisible wall will trigger the loading zone. If glitches are used to bypass the loading zone, the rest of the zone can be freely walked through, and if the zone does not have invisible walls around it, it makes an easy access out of bounds. Door and Warp Pipe loading zones work the same way as in ''Paper Mario''. Interestingly, during the [[Bowser]] intermissions, to avoid Bowser leaving the area, the loading zones are completely removed. This is most prominent in the intermission in [[Poshley Heights]] after defeating [[Magnus Von Grapple 2.0]].

[[Category:Game Mechanics]]

Thoughts?
Rest in peace, Walkazo.

Baby Luigi

• Nick, you need to find a woman who hates herself, she'll love you.
  • Awards Committee
  • Mushroom Attendant
  • 🇷🇺 Малыш Луиджи 🇷🇺 – Патриотическая
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2018, 12:10:36 AM »
Are loading zones something really specific to Mario? I mean, unlike say snaking or fire-hopping from Mario Kart (both conceptual articles that I'm already "ehhh" on in the first place), which is a game mechanic/exploit extremely specific to these games, this sounds like something that belongs on a more general wiki like Wikipedia than on a MarioWiki. I mean for something like Jump you can argue that it's a very specific move to Mario because it's a move in the Mario RPGs and stomping is a signature ability of Mario. Gravity describes very specific functions like in Yoshi Topsy Turvy or some levels in Super Mario Galaxy. For explaining the glitch, I feel like it's better off explained in the glitch article itself.

Mario JC said, it's like creating an article on hitboxes, loading screens, draw distance, lod models, etc, something that all games have in the first place to be base-line functional and asked if this name is even an official term, and I have to agree with him. I mean, I think our generic subjects policy, logically speaking, also applies to game mechanics like this. I also think loading zone works best as a glossary term than its own article.
RIP B. "Walkazo" Dalziel. December 16, 1991 to March 27, 2016.

Alex95

• NIWA Nut
  • Wiki Administrator
  • Dry Bowser
    • View Profile
    • Power Master Games
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2018, 01:13:21 AM »
It's not exactly specific to Mario, so agreed with Baby Luigi. The pages we have in Category:Game Mechanics are either unique to the Mario series or originated from it and are shared across multiple series (Action Command, Rocket Start), or is something that holds major relevancy (Level Up, World, golfing terms). Loading Zone is none of these things, and is more along the lines of developmental terms rather than an actual game mechanic.

I'm for putting it in the glossary, though. I think these kind of terms would fit better there.

TheFlameChomp

• Wiki Administrator
  • Spiny
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2018, 08:42:34 AM »
I still agree with what I said when it was deleted, and I also agree with Baby Luigi and Alex95. These aren't very relevant to Mario, and I'm not sure if "loading zone" is an official name. Most of the article is referring to exploits rather than the actual loading zones. I would still support it on the glossary though, as I feel it would fit with things like "Autoscrolling levels" and "Automatic levels" on there.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 09:26:24 AM by TheFlameChomp »