Mafiatroid (Lounge/Sign-ups)

Not enough people signed up so um

Hey guys!
I'm curious as to why there was little interest in this game. Is there anything I can improve on to make it more accessible in the future? Or was it just a matter of timing?
Personally I enjoyed the break after Lightning Mafia+ which made me realize that playing mafia almost every month for a while there was kind of draining. With that in mind I've decided to be more selective about what I sign up for going forward and I'd rather focus that energy towards supporting new hosts for the most part. Can't speak for anyone else but I know a few other people are feeling the same way re: energy for these.

If I'm being completely honest - and please understand that this may be blunt, but I'm trying not to be rude - I was wary that the game mechanics were not fully thought out and might ultimately detract from the game rather than add to it.

I need to give you credit for listening to the feedback and advice that Alex and Revin provided, and for actually recognizing that some mechanics were perhaps not as thought-out and beneficial to the game as you thought and, in turn, scaling those back. That was good and did remove a big initial reservation I had about the game, and you deserve recognition for making an earnest effort to improve the game.

However, with all due respect, that those elements hadn't been thought-through well made me skeptical that other elements, such as items, had been thought-through and balanced. For that matter, it made me wonder if the roles would be balanced well (and I say this as someone with experience contributing to an event with some seriously unbalanced roles and items that added little to a game, so it's not a criticism of you in particular, but a recognition of learning curves and ambitions that don't always pan out).

Combine that with some of the things WT said above about time, energy, and burn-out, I'm trying to be more selective about the games I join and trying to save my energy for the games most likely to be well-designed and a consistently enjoyable experience.

The truth is that I wasn't sure this game could deliver that experience, and I wasn't certain that a game originally designed with these extra pieces and mechanics in mind would rework itself enough to ensure the mechanics that were kept were balanced.

I think you have the potential to host a good mafia, Blathers, but, personally, I think it would benefit you to start with a simple one, design a vanilla-leaning mafia entirely from the ground-up so you can focus hard on balancing and running a simple, well-tested version of mafia. Start with that, and you can successfully build up to more from there.

Last edited:
Back