Fanbases that drive you crazy.

-My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic ones. It's one thing to like the show, it's another thing to flood the Steam workshop, deviantArt, everything, with crappy OCs that no one cares about while making it tougher to find the content you like on there (seriously, I was looking for the filly pack-the one with the CMC and more importantly, Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon, in Steam workshop because I think it got deleted and it's really tough to find anything official in there because of those damn OCs). Also, the cloppers are basement dweller creeps.

-Sonic, because there appears to be NO consensus on a good game, it seems. Also, it's notorious for ---ty shippings and OCs.

-Smash. WHERE'S MY PWECIOUS RIDLEY

-Twilight. Why does it even HAVE a fanbase?

i dislike basically every fanbase

the homestuck fanbase in particular, but maybe just because i cringe at the sight of homestuck by this point

Magikrazy said:
The Bible's fanbase is crazy.

I mean, they pretty much have a whole religion based around it.
no you don't understand people actually write bible fanfiction

i'm currently reading a bible crossover with kirby

update: i have found a jesus/sonic lemon

"YOU'RE TOO SLOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWW" Sonic yelled as he and Christ finished in sync.

okay, correction: i dislike major fanbases. like, ones that have a major presence on the internet.

i don't particularly like the portal fanbase either, since they have a ascendancy to create humanized versions of the robots that frankly unnerve me, but it could be worse

every fanbase that i've seen much of has their own stupidity in it

Every fanbase that exists, including the ones of which I am a part.

Shulk said:
In conclusion, people are stupid.
shocking revelation

Yeah to be honest there's a lot of truth to the statement that "no fanbase is a good fanbase". You can point to any fanbase and find flaws and stupidity.

But (usually) you can also find good.

For example, take the Dota 2 community. It's filled with raging idiots who do nothing to help new players and are adamant that their ideas are the best, but the same community is also full of dedicated players who love challenges and keep coming back to a game that enjoys punching you in the face. To blame the whole community for the actions of a few rude players (although to be fair there are a lot of rude players, at least on my level) is unjust.

that damn homestuck fan base and the bloody fad that ensued

attack on titan is another fanbase that i don't like, seems like anything anyone could talk about at the time was attack on titan this, attack on titan that. i also didn't like it when people abbreviated it to snk. i get that it's the japanese initials, but if you're going to call it by it's english name, then use the english initials. we'll get what you mean if you say aot, but it gets confusing if you keep on with the "snk" shit

while i'm a part of the mlp fanbase, you REALLY DON'T HAVE TO FUCKING INCLUDE IT IN EVERYTHING YOU DO. WE GET IT. YOU LIKE PONIES. NOW STOP TRYING TO PAIR IT OFF WITH HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON AND PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN. THEY HAVE NO RELATION. THERE'S LITERALLY NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT. some crossovers work, like the star trek ones with discord as q? same voice actor, same personality, it works, that's ok.

some parts of the doctor who fandom take it over the top, but most of the time it's rather dormant

gravity falls is another show that has an over the top batshit crazy fandom. i realise that most of the time it's just people expressing their love for the show, but somehow it really feels forced on, almost to the point where they're basically telling you to watch the show. ugh.

dbz is just another one of those fandoms that drives me mad. i can't really explain it, i guess it's due to a whole bunch of people worshiping a show that tries too hard to be the best damn anime out there with all of it's over powered characters and battles that last a whole eight freaking episodes.

marvel films, they have good movies, but let's face it - avengers wasn't anything special, it was basically just like a super hero film but with a bunch of other heroes from other films coming together. sure it's the first time in movie history that that's ever happened, but it's really nothing special. to get to my point, i don't understand why the fandom has to act like jesus himself has just come back and released a whole series of movies that will forever be known as the best movie series of all time. it's nothing too special, stop acting like it is, jeez.

i'm gonna get some hate for this, but big brother is not a good show. it's really not. it's a bunch of people bitching at each other in a house, and the public decides on who the bitchiest housemate is. i don't understand why everyone has to be so into it, it's not good, and again, stop acting like it is

finally, fans of soap operas. like the previous three examples, this all comes down to undeserved praise, as soap operas like eastenders, emmerdale, coronation street, neighbours, what have you, have been going on soooo long that the stories are just re-used and washed up husks of good shows, and always end up with characters bitching about each other. it's not entertainment, so why people keep insisting that it's fun, and come into conversations with "omg did you see what so and so did last night on eastenders?", i will never understand

as far as i know, that's about it.

Priam said:
dbz is just another one of those fandoms that drives me mad. i can't really explain it, i guess it's due to a whole bunch of people worshiping a show that tries too hard to be the best damn anime out there with all of it's over powered characters and battles that last a whole eight freaking episodes.
I take it you don't watch DBZ. Or any of Dragon Ball for that matter. The fight lengths are often over exaggerated and even if they run on the long side (like the Goku vs. Frieza fight which is four hours long), there's a superior re-cut called Dragon Ball Z Kai that corrects that.

It does deserve some respect because it's a major reason why anime got big over in the western world and was also the inspiration for many other popular animes like Naruto, One Piece, etc.

Also, who cares if the characters are powerful? They still have to overcome odds and defeat powerful villains. They're extremely powerful, but the villains are equal or greater in power so it's not like it ends up suffering from the Superman problem of needing a BS reason to hold Superman back. It doesn't matter how strong the heroes are, it matters if they actually have something stronger than them to overcome.

for some people, there's a point where something becomes so powerful that it just breaks your suspension of disbelief

which is never a good thing for fiction to do

I could say a lot of things, but I may as well mention one fanbase that hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet: The Invader Zim fanbase.

Anna said:
for some people, there's a point where something becomes so powerful that it just breaks your suspension of disbelief

DBZ is a show that has a shape-shifting pig the talks, a prevented old man who's hundreds of years old, aliens, super powered androids, a blue fish guy that's a god, a guy who's basically space Hitler, Hitler himself returning from hell and attacking Earth, giant gorilla monsters, and a magical dragon that grants wishes.

You need to suspend your disbelief a lot. People blowing up planets on a whim is tame.

>implying anything you say is going to make me less crazy at the fandom

i don't care whether there's some sort of space hitler, or if the bad guys are as strong or stronger than the heroes, it won't change the fact that I think it's incredibly overrated and the fandom is essentially praising a ridiculous show

GalacticPetey said:
Anna said:

DBZ is a show that has a shape-shifting pig the talks, a prevented old man who's hundreds of years old, aliens, super powered androids, a blue fish guy that's a god, a guy who's basically space Hitler, Hitler himself returning from hell and attacking Earth, giant gorilla monsters, and a magical dragon that grants wishes.

You need to suspend your disbelief a lot. People blowing up planets on a whim is tame.
okay see that just helps my point more - people like me and neptune just can't suspend our disbelief that much

we care too much about logic

Anna said:
GalacticPetey said:
Anna said:

okay see that just helps my point more - people like me and neptune just can't suspend our disbelief that much

Bullshit, you watch LOTR and Star Trek.

But back on topic. A fan base I hate? Okay, here we go. There's a very particular group in the Smash community that drives me mad. I have never seen any other fan base have this. Those people are casual elitist.

Before I get flamed, here me out. There is absolutely nothing wrong with casual play. It's a ton of fun and it's how I played Brawl for the longest time. But then you have the people who think their way of play is the only way. The idiots who say "competitive Smash is stupid and boring and you guys aren't playing it right". Bullshit. Do people not understand that some people find competence play fun? Turning off items and playing on balanced stages is not boring because you have some sort of elitist notion on how Smash should be played. I get that the competitive community has some toxic people, but I've come to expect that from any fanbase. The super elitist people who think themselves better than other people simply because they play the game better. DOTA, LoL, and all esports have these. But casual elitists is something that just baffles my mind. No other fan base has something like this.

Anna said:
GalacticPetey said:
Anna said:

Your avatar is from a game that involves time-traveling zombies, magic being sling around like they're pebbles, several characters being resurrected from the dead to fight alongside your army, and that's not to mention everything with the Outrealm Gate.

I don't want to see what kind of logic you put to use.

GalacticPetey said:
Anna said:
GalacticPetey said:
Anna said:

Bullshit, you watch LOTR and Star Trek.
haha, fair enough. in the case of lotr there's enough stuff in universe to argue that the eagles might have possibly lost to the fell beasts and then sauron would have the ring for free (which makes the "why didn't they just fly the ring there" argument invalid), but star trek definitely has had episodes that were stupid and i hated them. whenever star trek breaks my suspension of disbelief i get pretty miffed
GalacticPetey said:
But back on topic. A fan base I hate? Okay, here we go. There's a very particular group in the Smash community that drives me mad. I have never seen any other fan base have this. Those people are casual elitist.

Before I get flamed, here me out. There is absolutely nothing wrong with casual play. It's a ton of fun and it's how I played Brawl for the longest time. But then you have the people who think their way of play is the only way. The idiots who say "competitive Smash is stupid and boring and you guys aren't playing it right". Bullshit. Do people not understand that some people find competence play fun? Turning off items and playing on balanced stages is not boring because you have some sort of elitist notion on how Smash should be played. I get that the competitive community has some toxic people, but I've come to expect that from any fanbase. The super elitist people who think themselves better than other people simply because they play the game better. DOTA, LoL, and all esports have these. But casual elitists is something that just baffles my mind. No other fan base has something like this.
tf2 has something similar actually, where people get mad when the server decides to do a conga party instead of fighting. this kind of thing always happens when you have "let's just have fun" guys vs "it's not fun unless we're all tryhards" guys

(for the record i'm somewhere in the middle on the tf2 one, sometimes i just want to mess around but sometimes i'm actually trying to win)
Shulk said:
Your avatar is from a game that involves time-traveling zombies, magic being sling around like they're pebbles, several characters being resurrected from the dead to fight alongside your army, and that's not to mention everything with the Outrealm Gate.

I don't want to see what kind of logic you put to use.
tbh time travel is a bit of a turnoff for me but it's downplayed in awakening. none of your characters actually travel through time, they just encounter other characters who have travelled through time. i guess it's not as bad because there's a disconnect so you're never experiencing the time travel firsthand? idk

i'm not aware of any characters being resurrected to fight with my army

and psh i never got any dlc so i have no idea what the outrealm gate does

Maybe it's just me but I don't watch movies or TV shows for realism. I go to be entertained. Even if the set up is ridiculous, if it has a plot I can follow, enjoyable characters and nice visuals (in moderation, not Micahel Bay boom-feats), then it's fine.

Now if something is trying to be realistic but does something stupid, like The Dark Knight Rises, that's when I have problem. But something like Dragon Ball isn't trying to be realistic so it really doesn't matter.

GalacticPetey said:
Maybe it's just me but I don't watch movies or TV shows for realism. I go to be entertained. Even if the set up is ridiculous, if it has a plot I can follow, enjoyable characters and nice visuals (in moderation, not Micahel Bay boom-feats), then it's fine.

Now if something is trying to be realistic but does something stupid, like The Dark Knight Rises, that's when I have problem. But something like Dragon Ball isn't trying to be realistic so it really doesn't matter.
This is absolutely what I like to follow and I am so glad someone who's good at words was able to verbalized it.

Back