What genre has Nintendo NOT attempted?

NealP

Goomba
What genre has Nintendo not attempted in some capacity but should?

I think an MMO of some sort, although that is less of a genre and more of and expansion on a current genre.

They seemed to have covered most of the bases.

This belongs in Console Gaming.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo has attempted every mainstream video game genre.

I don't think they've made a shoot 'em up or beat 'em up game.

Good point. Though they're hardly mainstream anymore, if they ever were.

They were fairly popular back in the late 1980s and early 1990s, but yeah, they're virtually dead now (unless hack and slash counts as beat 'em up). The only modern shoot 'em up most people seem to know is Touhou.

Does Ice Climber count as a beat em up? Or maybe that's pushing it.

I'd like to see another all-Nintendo franchise cast game ala SSB - but in a different format. A sim? I'm not sure since they have Animal Crossing now - but could you imagine The Sims but it is only Nintendo characters/items/locations - they could pull out the most obscure characters from their vaults to populate the game.

EpicWaluigi said:
A good Mario sports game or at least Mario Football (not Soccer, I mean American Football)
Highly unlikely since there's a ton of rules in slaughterball and a Mario spin-off sports game has their rules simplified. There's just to many rules to be simplified enough.

Rolo Lamperouge said:
EpicWaluigi said:
A good Mario sports game or at least Mario Football (not Soccer, I mean American Football)
Highly unlikely since there's a ton of rules in slaughterball and a Mario spin-off sports game has their rules simplified. There's just to many rules to be simplified enough.
What do you mean slaughterball? No one has ever died in football. Helmet-to-helmet big hits are outlawed in football now, and they have rules to keep players from getting hurt too bad. People HAVE died in soccer, though. Anyway, I would say shooter, but Yoshi's Safari is technically a shooter.

Thank you for your big contribution relating to the topic.

And yes, people have died in football.

No NFL player has died resulting from a play in a game to date. Just saying.

Rolo Lamperouge said:
WigglerWhoopinWarrior135 said:
Anyway, I don't think Nintendo has made a vehicle-simulation game.
Mario Kart Wii and Mario Kart GP
Those are racing games, not vehicle simulation.

Anyway, the correct answer is the helicopter from Sim City.

As much as I love Mario Kart, it isn't vehicle simulation. Vehicle simulation is realistic.

Nascar simulation: Nascar 09 (or previous titles)
Car racing (in general) simulation: Gran Turismo
Plane/Helicopter simulator: Flight Simulator

Are none of you familiar with a series called Legend of Zelda?

Back