What was your favorite 3D Mario game?

Out of the 4 Main 3D Mario games. Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Ma

• Super Mario 64

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Super Mario Sunshine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Super Mario Galaxy

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Galaxy 2. But I'd also say SM64 for the nostalgia of it.

SM64 DS is not on the list? Cool story bro.

Anyway, other than sm64 DS, i´d say the first Super Mario Galaxy. The second one is even better in certain aspects, but I have a small problem with direct sequels: I nit-pick them a lot because for me, a direct sequel should carry about everything the prequel had, while adding some new twists here and there. SMG2 being a direct SMG sequel, specially for "expanding the first game´s concept" as exposed by the creators, I can´t stand how it axes the concepts that actually NEEDED some more screentime, while it abuses launch stars and the cloud flower to death.

Seriously, while I play SMG2, I keep finding spots where the missing power ups (red shell, red star, ice flower...) would fit, and I have this feeling as if nintendo was deliberately trolling me like "you think you´ll get an ice flower here? though luck. Here, have ANOTHER cloud flower *trollface.jpg*"

SMG1 gave me a genuine feeling while in SMG2 I had the feeling that some levels were rushed, and that some gameplay mechanics were over abused at the expense of ridiculously limiting others. Despite it was better than the original in terms of more direct gameplay, more stars (instead of replaying the story with Luigi) and better difficulty, the original SMG gave me a much more polished feeling overall. The only under-used power up in SMG1 was the red star, and it was used two times at least, which is better than being completely absent and only found in the game´s code as a left-out idea.

So, yeah, long story short, my favourites are SM64 DS and SMG1.

Still, I like ALL of them, so the difference is minimal, in that the only things that make me prefer certain ones above others are just small details :P

Easmo said:
Seriously, while I play SMG2, I keep finding spots where the missing power ups (red shell, red star, ice flower...)
What exactly did the Red Shell do that the Green Shell didn't?

WaluigiWare said:
Easmo said:
Seriously, while I play SMG2, I keep finding spots where the missing power ups (red shell, red star, ice flower...)

It could move faster and chase enemies. So SMG was a bit better then SMG2 in my opinion.

Hm... out of those four 3D games, I like the two Galaxies the best. I can't decide which one I like more, though... I think I might go with the first Galaxy. That one had more of a classic Mario feel to it, I guess... but it's hard to say, really. I also really like Galaxy 2.

WaluigiWare said:
Easmo said:

What it usually does in Mario games: it homes on nearby enemies.

Easmo said:
WaluigiWare said:
Easmo said:

What it usually does in Mario games: it homes on nearby enemies.
drseaweed said:
WaluigiWare said:
Easmo said:

It could move faster and chase enemies. So SMG was a bit better then SMG2 in my opinion.

You guys think that SMG was better than SMG2 because SMG had red shells. Wow....

Super Mario 64 > Super Mario Galaxy > Super Mario Galaxy 2 > Super Mario Sunshine, in my opinion.

I AM RIGHT!!!!
I noticed that whatever the latest game to a series is, fanboys don't like but when a new one comes out you all love the old game and hate the new one. None of you really seemed to like Super Mario Galaxy that much a few months ago, but now that there is a newer game you all love it and don't really like the Super Mario Galaxy 2.

-_____-

Uh...dude, what're you saying? Everyone has a right to their own opinion, it doesn't mean they're fanboys. The people you are talking about that bash the new games for the slightest changes and like the old games are "nostalgic wannabes".

SMG2 is great, but it lacked exploration and you visit the same planets for every mission. The idea got boring to me, imo. That is why I prefer Galaxy over the second one. >_>

drseaweed said:
I AM RIGHT!!!!
I noticed that whatever the latest game to a series is, fanboys don't like but when a new one comes out you all love the old game and hate the new one. None of you really seemed to like Super Mario Galaxy that much a few months ago, but now that there is a newer game you all love it and don't really like the Super Mario Galaxy 2.
What are you talking about? Most people here have always loved Super Mario Galaxy.

drseaweed said:
I AM RIGHT!!!!
That is not how it goes. No one was talking about how much they liked Super Mario Galaxy before Super Mario Galaxy 2 came out because it was old. When a new game came out, people started talking about them again.

Uniju said:
drseaweed said:
I AM RIGHT!!!!
That is not how it goes. No one was talking about how much they liked Super Mario Galaxy before Super Mario Galaxy 2 came out because it was old. When a new game came out, people started talking about them again.
Exactly

When did I say that I prefer the first one because of the shells?

I prefer the first one because the levels are bigger, the power ups are better implemented into the game (the second one abuses clod flowers while almost ignores the others), the story was better and , in general, I see it as a more polished game

Not saying I dislike the second one. It´s almost as good. I simply prefer the first one because of certain details.

I still don't think anyone should hold story over SMG2 for two reasons:

1. Miyamoto said he wanted as little story as possible, so we shouldn't have expected much to begin with.
2. The story in SMG2 is very similar to Super Mario 64, both the story itself and the way it was treated in the game. Nobody complained about it in Super Mario 64.

drseaweed said:
WaluigiWare said:
Easmo said:

Easmo, that is where you said it.

Villain11 said:
drseaweed said:
WaluigiWare said:
Easmo said:

Oh lol, you´re right. It´s just that I didn´t mean it literally. I was just stating that the shell thing is another of the small details that makes me prefer SMG1 overall, but you´re right, I put it as if JUST the red shells make a game better.

Thanks for pointing it out. I don´t know what I was thinking when I wrote that :P

Easmo said:
Villain11 said:
drseaweed said:
WaluigiWare said:
Easmo said:

Oh lol, you´re right. It´s just that I didn´t mean it literally. I was just stating that the shell thing is another of the small details that makes me prefer SMG1 overall, but you´re right, I put it as if JUST the red shells make a game better.

Thanks for pointing it out. I don´t know what I was thinking when I wrote that :P
I get what you mean.

Back