Sign petition to prevent video game restriction and control

unit4545 said:
It's just wrong! they don't need to see that! And what about they're parents? if they let them play that, who knows what else they're alowed to see!?

That's a problem with the parents, not the games. Restricting minors from playing M-rated games will not turn good parents bad.

So, are you a bad troll or...?

That's a problem with the parents, not the games. Restricting minors from playing M-rated games will not turn good parents bad.

So, are you a bad troll or...?
[/quote]

I belive you mean "bad parents good".

I'm just explaining that it's wrong for minors to see M-rated stuff!

No it's not, it's wrong for you to make choices about harmless things that other people are clearly perfectly fine with.

If you hate M games and blood and guns so much just stay far away from M games and TV and movies and everything that's not made of unicorns and sunshine, but don't make other people do the same.

I'm not the only one that opposes M-rated games... anyway, i think this just turned into a pointless war about M-rated games...

This entire discussion (if you can even call it that, considering how your entire argument seems to be "WELL, IT'S BAD AND THEY SHOULDN'T SEE IT") is centered on the censorship of video games and that's the point of this thread. It's not pointless or off-topic and it's certainly not a flame war.

Hey, have anyone of you heard of "Extra Credits"? It's a new show on The Escapist where they talking about gaming, usually about it's status as a medium of entertainment and art. This week it talks about the Supreme Court trial I was telling you guys about!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/1961-Free-Speech

Oh, and by the way, the day will be November 2.

@JuniorTroopa: There is no point from sheilding kids from violence because kids are already learning stuff like violence and sex at a young age that it is already too late to sheild them from it.

Glowsquid said:
This is it, this is probably THE most important moment in video game history!

Because, clearly, America is the only place that matter.

I agree with this, its not like America is the only country in the world :V

I played Doom, Diablo, and Starcraft when I wasn't even in my teens yet (but I played with cheats on) and it didn't even scare me. More like made me laugh.

All of my friends are into playing COD and stuff like that.

*bump*

Sorry I haven't been keeping up to date with this, but the Supreme Court officially met on Tuesday to begin oral arguments on the subject of free speech in video games.

http://blogs.forbes.com/oliverchiang/2010/11/02/supreme-court-considers-videogame-free-speech-rights/

So far, things are looking up, especially when the Judges begin to apply this thing called "logic" to the argument:

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/15195-schwarzenegger-vs-ema-hearings-provoke-hilarious-logical-refutations-from-judges/

(can't believe I'm saying this) But I agree with Unit a bit on this argument, but what I personally hear from Unit in his argument is that if some higher authority, like a police, see the parents allow their young kid to play M-rated games then they arrest them and call social services, that's what I'm sort of hearing even though that's off. Look, if the parents buy this M-rated (Let's use San Andres for example) game for their 7 year old kid and he start playing those parts where the character can have sex in the game, then, that's their kid not mine, I don't care what they do or what they give him as long as it's not illegal; that is the parents decision to give the kid that game, maybe they think he's responsible enough, they don't know about ratings, they don't really know about the game, they're naive or oblivious when it comes to game ratings... etc. The examples of other types of media you used were TV, movies, and books (I think I'm missing one). The difference between all those and Video Games is that in video games you can make a decision throughout the whole continuum of the game and you can't with the others. Yeah sure you can make a decision before going to the theatre to watch a movie or not because you have an idea what's going on but you're not in control what actually happens, same thing with TV and books. Plus numerous (hundreds upon hundreds will be an understatement) studies has shown that somewhere between most to almost every kid (that's really off but I'm getting a point across...) who play M-rated games and they are under age for it (like around 4-10 years) shows a higher increase in actual violence (usually at their school, some extreme cases, actual crimes) or that when they grow up they'll most likely end up using that kind of verbal language and/or body language, not being the same person as before, or in the extreme ending up on the streets as criminals or murderers and ending up behind bars, and super rare cases end up in death row, now that sounds and false but those people were interview and they say they do this stuff because they did it in those games and see it as fun and try to do it in real life, and then it becomes like a drug where it becomes addicting even though they know it's wrong. (If you are going to reply to this post then I don't want to hear "Zero, I play M-rated games and I'm not thinking of killing people or doing crimes, and I'm not using that kind of language, so what you said is wrong.", you're not like that, that's good for you but, I just scan through the entire thread so I'm not sure who, some of you say you play these games and around the age of 10.)

This doesn't happen here, but it does in Germany (you know, the one without speed limits on the "Autobahn").
In The Netherlands, we have only one idiot, which wants to do the same thing, although he wants to do with nearly all games.
But as long as we don't have banned games, I'll won't worry about that.
If that happens, I'll just ask my friends in Japan, Germany, UK, Spain, Canada or USA to ship me some games.

Edit:
Spell fix.

Well, a few of those countries or places you mentioned have strict religously-viewed morals which prevents them or forcfully doesn't allow them to become or turn into that type of person. Here in the US, where this law is at, the morals are tainted and soiled because of pop culture and humans messed up or twisted views (not everyone and I'm not trying to offend anyone here)

Frank Sinatra said:
Mijzelffan said:
I don't live in America, so I'm not signing :P
Yeah, it's not your freedom that's being curtailed needlessly, so why should you care?

Per. I´m not american either, but any kind of restriction against freedom should be taken care of.

I would like to sign but I have read that it asks way too much personal information. So, exactly how much info?

Falcon Facepalm said:
There are way too many kids in my school that has M-rated games. I'm all for restricting M-rated games to minors.
Per. Its kind of common sense to not let kids play really, really violent video games. There are some really good M-rated games, and I don't care if people who are old, and mature enough to play them play them, but do we really want a bill that goes against common sense?

WigglerWhoopinWarrior said:
Falcon Facepalm said:
There are way too many kids in my school that has M-rated games. I'm all for restricting M-rated games to minors.
Per. Its kind of common sense to not let kids play really, really violent video games. There are some really good M-rated games, and I don't care if people who are old, and mature enough to play them play them, but do we really want a bill that goes against common sense?
That depends on what you mean

The current video game restriction system isn't against freedom IMO. M-rated video game sales are still really really good even while they are restricted to kids.

An interesting article I came across that's somewhat related to the subject at hand:

http://www.gamepolitics.com/2010/11/15/video-game-editorial-vs-editorial

Glowsquid said:
This is it, this is probably THE most important moment in video game history!

Because, clearly, America is the only place that matter.
I agree with Glowsquid. This is only significant for America, and not the however many other countries in the world.

Back