"A revelation?" Super Mario Galaxy 2 Editon

He said he didnt want the same game over and over again, but we were just talking about the story lines

Story isnt a whole game

THEN ITS A MOVIE

I think the problem is that the Mario games are designed to literally fit anywhere in the overall timeline, save a few key games. Super Mario Bros. is the first game to feature the Mushroom Kingdom. Super Mario World is the first game to feature Yoshi. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island is the first game to show Mario/Luigi as a baby, etc. To make the series feel more consistent, the games with uncertainty around thier place in the timeline must be figured out to fit in with the ever growing list of games that could fit anywhere.

Toadbert said:
He said he didnt want the same game over and over again, but we were just talking about the story lines

Story isnt a whole game

THEN ITS A MOVIE
Even so, just rehashing the same exact story from the previous game just strikes me as incredibly lazy, even by Mario standards (where every storyline is identical with some minor exceptions). With most Mario games, you can tell they happened in some kind of order, and while they don't really directly refer to one another, it was still easier to place in any order you feel like. But with this, which is pretty much the EXACT SAME storyline, just with the removal of Rosalina (who is, by the way, the most developed female character in a Mario game) and the Comet Observatory with a fat Luma and Mario's own personal starship. So, what, have Rosalina and all the stuff from the first game just been removed from the continuity? Well, no, it can't be, since there are Super Mario Galaxy bosses in this game! Geez, in trying to add as little story as possible for this game, it made things a whole lot more frustrating for me!

And worst of all, this is supposed to be a sequel, so therefore, they should at least try to acknowledge the first game and explain what's going on in this game, since that's kind of what sequels do, you know? Or at least that's what they're supposed to do. And yes, the original Mario games didn't have that (at least not in-game), but those were the days where storyline was strictly an option. Nowadays, unless it's a casual game, most games should have at least some coherent story, even if it is a simple one.

BTW, in case you didn't know, I like stories in games, even if they're bad/bland/simple ones, because it helps me enjoy the game more.

Toadbert said:
How good the game was wouldn't matter if they did do that or not

You're not pretending anything, Nintendo just wants to make another game to add in more things that weren't in #1 and not worry about how the time-lines will string together

It's kinda hard to call a game "Super Mario Galaxy 2" and assume it doesn't have anything to do with it's predecessor.

wsbm said:
Toadbert said:
How good the game was wouldn't matter if they did do that or not

You're not pretending anything, Nintendo just wants to make another game to add in more things that weren't in #1 and not worry about how the time-lines will string together

It's kinda hard to call a game "Super Mario Galaxy 2" and assume it doesn't have anything to do with it's predecessor.

But it does

From what ive seen, it has the excact same gameplay with more things added in to keep you entertained

I dislike the idea of having two games from the same part of the Mario series on one console.

That's why SMG2 isn't so popular. If they waited until the next console, it would work.

I basically tend to go by this possible theory, in terms of the Super Mario Galaxy timeline...

At the end of Super Mario Galaxy, the events that occurred were erased, meaning that no one (except for Mario) remembers anything about what happened. And of course, this also means that the Star Festival never happened either.

Eventually, the events of New Super Mario Bros. Wii took place. During Mario's confrontation with Bowser, Kamek made Bowser huge, which made Bowser spark a huge idea after getting free from his destroyed castle.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 then takes place. There, the words that Rosalina said to Mario (And so the cycle of life continues. But the cycle never repeats itself in quite the same way.) are coming to pass as Bowser attempts to conquer the universe again, but his scheme is completely different from before; he's attempting to conquer the universe as a giant, which never happened in SMG.

In the end, unlike what happened in Super Mario Galaxy, the events of Super Mario Galaxy 2 remained in tact.

Has anybody here completed Galaxy 2 100%?

How the game initially ignores the prequel IS EXPLAINED, but I don´t want to spoil anything and get a flaming storm on me :-[

In the end of SMG the universe restarted so thats why SMG2 takes place in another universe. End of Story. I don't why people are fighting so much.

I didn't get how in SMG2 whenever you fought Bowser he'd be big but when you beat him he'd shrink. But then when you fight him again he's big again.

I got excited that we'd actually get to fight Bowser in different forms or something, but instead we get the same lame fight from world 2 to world 6.

JohnnyDaShizzle said:
I didn't get how in SMG2 whenever you fought Bowser he'd be big but when you beat him he'd shrink. But then when you fight him again he's big again.

I got excited that we'd actually get to fight Bowser in different forms or something, but instead we get the same lame fight from world 2 to world 6.

Agreed. The SMG boss final boss fight was actually pretty fun.

JohnnyDaShizzle said:

Ever considered that Bowser is using the Grand Stars to become huge? I thought that would explain everything.

Back