What's the weather like where you are?

It started raining a little while ago, after that it started hailing.

We never get tornados here. Only really, really tiny earthquakes. It's boring!

Anyway, it's intolerably cold here and it's not even Winter yet! I think I'm coming down with something, too.

Would you mind explaining why that is ironic?

It's sunny here, but it was raining earlier.

You do know that ironic means the opposite of what is expected, right?

Also it's windy.

Ugozima said:
That is not what ironic means.
Wiktionary said:
Both coincidental and contradictory in a humorous or poignant and extremely improbable way.
(and before you say "only an old fat businessman could ever possibly be right about this", go check the old fat businessman's dictionary. it'll say about the same thing)

Anyway, it's hot here. Hotter than it was during the day.

Uniju said:
Ugozima said:
That is not what ironic means.
Wiktionary said:
Both coincidental and contradictory in a humorous or poignant and extremely improbable way.
(and before you say "only an old fat businessman could ever possibly be right about this", go check the old fat businessman's dictionary. it'll say about the same thing)
Dictionary.com said:
i·ro·ny
1 /ˈaɪrəni, ˈaɪər-/ Show Spelled[ahy-ruh-nee, ahy-er-] Show IPA
–noun,plural-nies.
the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning: the irony of her reply, "How nice!" when I said I had to work all weekend.
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Sorry, I misworded that.
Allow me to correct myself.

What I should have said said:
That is not the primary nor most common use of the word "ironic" and as such you should have pointed out that "it is possible in addition to the usual meaning to also use it to mean this other thing".

The first of these kinds of threads so

The weather just has to be rainy when I'm walking with my phone so now I have to hide under

It's fuckin hot here innit.

(I live in South Florida, we are literally a tropical climate down here. It is currently past 7pm here and the heat index is 95 degrees still. Middle of the day the heat index will be like over 100 degrees).

Back