Clever Ideas in the MarioVerse

Garlic Man

Name-change free since 2018
Ideas that just show how creative and clever Nintendo is with their games.

These could be anything from characters, items, games, series, anything.

Paper Mario. The whole concept of it. Whoda thunk.

I once read this NSMBW interview where they talked about how they set up Level 1-1 of Super Mario Bros. It was very clever.

I'll see if I can find it again.

Nintendo just likes to Recycle...

... Although they have their own landfill of guys like Wart and Kiddy Kong.

I thought the WarioWare series was clever.

Mario Party. Now that I think of it, there really weren't many prominent board-game video games out there.

Asbel said:
Now that I think of it, there really weren't many prominent board-game video games out there.
Monopoly for the Gameboy. Fuck yeah.

Not original enough. oO

Super Mario Bros. 2. [/sarcasm]

Ugozima said:
Jesus Freak said:
Also, Super Smash Bros.
Not part of the Marioverse, created by Mashiro Sakurai, who created Kirby. ;)
Just because the person who created Kirby made it does not mean that it is not a Mario game.

It is too a Mario game. The way I see it, it's also a Zelda game, an Earhtbound game, ect. It's also a Smash Bros. game. ;)

Jesus Freak said:
Ugozima said:
Jesus Freak said:
Also, Super Smash Bros.
Just because the person who created Kirby made it does not mean that it is not a Mario game.

It is too a Mario game. The way I see it, it's also a Zelda game, an Earhtbound game, ect. It's also a Smash Bros. game. ;)
Gee, I bet F-Zero fans were shocked when they found out that the newest F-Zero game didn't involve racing at all.

Super Mario RPG. They were the first to dare to make an RPG out of Mario. Talk about unconventional.

Yeah, sure. It was the first major game to feature the Main Character in the past, later demonstrated in LoZ:OoC

Asbel said:
Jesus Freak said:
Ugozima said:
Jesus Freak said:
Also, Super Smash Bros.

Gee, I bet F-Zero fans were shocked when they found out that the newest F-Zero game didn't involve racing at all.
Touche.

Turbo Sexophonic said:
Technically, you can race in that game, just not with hovercrafts. AKA...

BREAK(ing) THE TARGETS!!!

Waluigi's name, which may seem dumb at first glance, but in Japanese it's a pun. "Waru" means bad, thus "Wario" by combining Mario and Waru, Waluigi is the same, but with L-R conversion, it's "waru iji" which is "ijiwaru (mean person)" backwards.

It was a good idea of them deciding not to make Super Mario Bros. Special another half-assed port, like they did with Excitebike and Ice Climber.

Dr Mario was original

Back