New Year's Eve Discussion

Re: New Year Resolutions

Sorry, but I have to question the point of New Year's Resolutions, and New Year's in general.

Why celebrate a certain point in time? Nothing significant happened on January 1st at 12:00 am. Why exactly is it celebrated? What is the point of deciding to change your lifestyle because it's a new year? Besides, does anyone ever follow through on those goddamn things? Check back with me in July and tell me if you followed through on any of your resolutions.

As for celebrating an arbitrary point in time, why celebrate a new year? Why not a new month, a new week, a new day, et cetera? Nothing important happened. For me, I celebrate on July 14 at 1:56 pm because of my birth. I celebrate on November 13 at 5:03 pm because I joined the Wiki then. New Year's day? No reason for me.

And finally, Times Square in New York. Do any of you have any desire whatsoever to be crammed with a million people for hours and hours just to celebrate a random point in time? Is there any purpose? And what if you have to take a piss or crap? Where you gonna do that? Food? No way to move around to get food. It's ridiculous and stupid. Almost as dumb as Valentine's Day.

And when February 14th comes around, I'll dig into that, too.

You need a reason to get drunk and do stupid shit?

Somebody went to Catholic school.

Sharks Territory said:
Sorry, but I have to question the point of New Year's Resolutions, and New Year's in general.

Why celebrate a certain point in time? Nothing significant happened on January 1st at 12:00 am. Why exactly is it celebrated? What is the point of deciding to change your lifestyle because it's a new year? Besides, does anyone ever follow through on those goddamn things? Check back with me in July and tell me if you followed through on any of your resolutions.

As for celebrating an arbitrary point in time, why celebrate a new year? Why not a new month, a new week, a new day, et cetera? Nothing important happened. For me, I celebrate on July 14 at 1:56 pm because of my birth. I celebrate on November 13 at 5:03 pm because I joined the Wiki then. New Year's day? No reason for me.

And finally, Times Square in New York. Do any of you have any desire whatsoever to be crammed with a million people for hours and hours just to celebrate a random point in time? Is there any purpose? And what if you have to take a piss or crap? Where you gonna do that? Food? No way to move around to get food. It's ridiculous and stupid. Almost as dumb as Valentine's Day.

And when February 14th comes around, I'll dig into that, too.
It's a little thing called "tradition". You know, the basis for every holiday that's not your birthday.

I decided to listen to Bas Rutten's advice, and eat raw vegetables and fruit instead of junk food, and drink water instead of soda, so I can be big and muscular.

Well, I do like getting dunk off my ass. However, most of the New Year's stuff is pointless. Why don't we celebrate every new month? I think we shouldn't have school today in honor of the new month! Continuing, I have a few things in your posts to challenge. 1) I didn't attend a Catholic school; the only private school I ever attended was my Jewish preschool. 2) I was just using my birthday as an example. I enjoy April 1st, July 4th, October 31st, Thanksgiving, and all the religious holidays, just to name a few. But really, do your resolutions ever work? Is there a point in celebrating the clock continuing to move forward, like it has for billions of freaking years? No. Is there a point in celebrating an exodus from Egypt, or the independence of a nation? Yes.

Wrong. I love to have a good time. However, the Times Square stuff is pointless. Celebrating a point in time at which no significant event took place, jammed in with millions of strangers, most of whom are wannabes who only wanna be :)lol:) on TV is stupid.

Ell Oh Ell said:
So is hockey, but we don't rub that in your face.
Awww snap.

Because the Romans said that January was the first month of the year. :dk:

Ell Oh Ell said:
So is hockey, but we don't rub that in your face.
Maple Syrup sucks too.
Ever had BACON(I mean REAL Bacon, not shitty Bacon) on your waffles? Kicks ass. Maple Syrup? Hockey?
All in all, Canada sucks.

Canada's a nice place and the people are friendly. Besides, hockey is the best combination of skill, strength, and mental ability known to humans.

Okay, I just came up with a goal.

I should not only brush my teeth twice every day for a few minutes, but I should floss inbetween every tooth in my mouth.

Looks like my internal bleeding will go up by a lot...

All in all, Canada sucks.
I'm annoyed at your statement.

For my Resolution... I didn't choose anything. I agree with Sharks. The New Year is the simple advancement to the next month. Should we celabrate for every new month that comes.

And every new week, day, hour, second! EVERY MOMENT IS A HOLIDAY! NO MORE SCHOOL! F--- YEAH!

It's a pretty weak tradition. A real tradition is handing the Stanley Cup to the captain first, or avoiding touching the conference championship trophy. Superstitions that make no sense at all are far better.

Sharks Territory said:
It's a pretty weak tradition. A real tradition is handing the Stanley Cup to the captain first, or avoiding touching the conference championship trophy. Superstitions that make no sense at all are far better.
*facepalm*

New Years celebrations have existed for CENTURIES.

New Year's Day is the first day of the year. On the modern Gregorian calendar, it is celebrated on January 1, as it was also in ancient Rome (though other dates were also used in Rome). In all countries except for Israel using the Gregorian calendar as their main calendar, it is a public holiday, often celebrated with fireworks at the stroke of midnight as the new year starts. January 1 on the Julian calendar corresponds to January 14 on the Gregorian calendar, and it is on that date that followers of some of the Eastern Orthodox churches celebrate the New Year. In Western Christianity New Year's Day, January 1, is the eighth day of Christmas.

According to the Christian tradition, 1 January coincides with the circumcision of Christ (eight days after birth), when the name of Jesus was given to him (Luke 2: 21).

Ugozima said:
According to the Christian tradition, 1 January coincides with the circumcision of Christ (eight days after birth), when the name of Jesus was given to him (Luke 2: 21).
That's some real nice stuff we're celebrating eh?
Some god we(I) don't even believe in getting his dick cut up.

Um...I don't think Jesus was born December 25, actually. He was born in the summer.

And, even if he was, celebrating a circumcision? :eekdance:

Hey, I got that 7/22/1996. No celebratin' in NYC for that!

Okay, that's enough. Please get back on topic and talk about what the thread was made for. -_-

Back