New Year's Eve Discussion

Re: New Year Resolutions

Well, I think this is to discuss New Year's as a whole.

That's not what the freaking title says. I'm just going to change the title since you're going to keep discussing New Year's.

Uniju said:
Ugozima said:
According to the Christian tradition, 1 January coincides with the circumcision of Christ (eight days after birth), when the name of Jesus was given to him (Luke 2: 21).
That's some real nice stuff we're celebrating eh?
Some god we(I) don't even believe in getting his dick cut up.
Hey, I was just copying Wikipedia.

And Christians believe Jesus is the son of god, not god itself.

They also believe that they're the same person.

That would actually be nice, NG.

And Jews believe that Jesus was a guy who had an unknown father that was able to begin Christianity. Nothing wrong with that.

Jews believe Jesus was wise, but not the son of God. Now knock it off, we're not even talking about New Year's anymore.

OK. Anyway, as for New Year's, we should celebrate every new millisecond, in that case. Celebrating the continuity of time really doesn't seem like great festivities. Plus, people eat crab, which smells like sh*t.

My new year's resolution is to play Brutal Legend. \m/

Why do we choose January 1 as a time to begin resolutions that never work? Why not any random day? If we did, we'd be less lazy.

Because it's fun. It's the only day people will actually take you seriously when you say "I vow to stop wasting my life on the computer and finally get a life!".

Sharks Territory said:
Why do we choose January 1 as a time to begin resolutions that never work? Why not any random day? If we did, we'd be less lazy.
I already said why, the Romans chose January 1st because of some meeting and Western culture uses it, even in places where they don't celebrate New Years on Jan. 1st (e.g. China), they may still have dual-celebrations due to the influence of Western culture.

Blue Monday said:
Because it's fun. It's the only day people will actually take you seriously when you say "I vow to stop wasting my life on the computer and finally get a life!".
That too.

Ralphfan, if it helps, it's the fucking calendar's birthday. I don't care, just shut the fuck up about this.

Ralph, January 1st is any random day.

Actually, I think it's more logical that the Gregorian calendar was born on April 1st; April Fools' Day was originally to prank those who thought the New Year was still celebrated in April after it was moved to January.

Way to quote Wikipedia.

Back