Top 5 Most Revolutionary Games according to Peter Molyneux

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff
Pronouns
He/him
http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=101521

• The RTS Dune 2: The game took players away from twitch play to a cerebral approach.
• Super Mario 64: The true precursor to the likes of GTAIV as it ushered in free roaming in an open environment.
• Tomb Raider: The game featured an iconic heroine instead of a muscle-bound man.
• Halo: The title brought FPS games to consoles.
• World of Warcraft: The use of "carrot dangling" to drive players to keep playing.
Uhh, yeah...

-What? Never heard of that game
-Yes, agree with 100%
-Hello? Samus Aran?
-There were FPS games BEFORE Halo game along and made everything duller as a result.
-...Yeah, I guess in terms of MMORPGs, that game is kind of revolutionary

Your thoughts?
 

Weasel

Donkey Kong
Retired Forum Mod
Pronouns
He/him
Smashgoom202 said:
• The RTS Dune 2: The game took players away from twitch play to a cerebral approach.
• Super Mario 64: The true precursor to the likes of GTAIV as it ushered in free roaming in an open environment.
• Tomb Raider: The game featured an iconic heroine instead of a muscle-bound man.
• Halo: The title brought FPS games to consoles.
• World of Warcraft: The use of "carrot dangling" to drive players to keep playing.
- Never heard of it. Then again, I don't play RTS games.
- True dat.
- Metroid says "hi."
- Goldeneye 007 says "hi."
- I don't play MMOs, so I have no idea what he's talking about.
 

ShyGuy27

The Cardinal is dead -- long live The Cardinal!
Pronouns
He/him
I'm surprised there's no Half-Life. Not that I agree, but everyone seems to think it's the single most revolutionary FPS ever.
 
N

Nerdy Guy

Guest
He didn't list alot of the Nintendo classics that changed the video game industry. Golden Eye, Metroid, Pokémon, that's 3 that could've been in there. Like one of the comments said "Maybe they held a gun to his head." :P
 

SiFi

Just a flight attendant guy.
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
SiFi
According to mobygames, the first game to feature a female protagonist was some porno on 2600
 

Uniju

Hazukashii serifu kinshi
MarioWiki
Uniju :D
Glowsquid: Well, the list only seems to care about how popular the games were. Super Mario 64 was anything but the first game with free-roaming, Halo was by no means the first console FPS, there's no way in hell World of Warcraft was the first game to do that, and where in the world was Peter Molyneux when Metroid came out?
 

Pokemon DP

God I'm good at being an owl
Retired Wiki Staff
Pronouns
She/her
I think the list focuses on games that defined the format, not the games that "did it first".

That said, I disagree with every entry except for SM64. Grand Theft Auto III certainly deserved a spot on the list.
 

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff
Pronouns
He/him
Glowsquid said:
-What? Never heard of that game
... That makes it any less influential how.
Sorry, I guess my mindset was that if it's revolutionary, most people would know about it, even those who barely know anything (namely me).
 
N

Nerdy Guy

Guest
MAXIMUM POWER SIFI said:
According to mobygames, the first game to feature a female protagonist was some porno on the 2600
I thought that game starred a badly-sprited naked cowboy. :koopa: (I read the Wikipedia article, I know these things)
 

Weasel

Donkey Kong
Retired Forum Mod
Pronouns
He/him
Super Happy Nerd Time said:
MAXIMUM POWER SIFI said:
According to mobygames, the first game to feature a female protagonist was some porno on the 2600
I thought that game starred a badly-sprited naked cowboy. :koopa: (I read the Wikipedia article, I know these things)
lol, Custer's Revenge
 

Pokemon DP

God I'm good at being an owl
Retired Wiki Staff
Pronouns
She/her
Super Happy Nerd Time said:
(I read the Wikipedia article, I know these things)
I don't think you're telling the whole truth.
 

Pokemon DP

God I'm good at being an owl
Retired Wiki Staff
Pronouns
She/her
Now, was that so hard to admit?
 
Top