Is Dry Bowser becoming the new Petey Piranha?

Dr. Evil said:
Ever since his appearance in NSMB, Dry Bowser has appeared in Mario Kart Wii as a heavyweight, a spot that should have been filled by Petey. Now he's a boss in Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games.

At least Petey had originality; Dry Bowser is just an undead Bowser, and it makes no sense for him to be able to compete against Bowser in spin-offs.
Yeah I know. King Boo and a Giant Bullet Bill made it as a boss in MSOWG and Petey didn't?! Petey is more original than Dry Bowser and King Boo and he has a personality. Also, a lot of people liked him. Don't know why he's gone.

OMimistasia said:
Dr. Evil said:
Ever since his appearance in NSMB, Dry Bowser has appeared in Mario Kart Wii as a heavyweight, a spot that should have been filled by Petey. Now he's a boss in Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games.

At least Petey had originality; Dry Bowser is just an undead Bowser, and it makes no sense for him to be able to compete against Bowser in spin-offs.
Yeah I know. King Boo and a Giant Bullet Bill made it as a boss in MSOWG and Petey didn't?! Petey is more original than Dry Bowser and King Boo and he has a personality. Also, a lot of people liked him. Don't know why he's gone.
He was created back during the Game Cube days. We now have Wii. Nintendo just changed it up for the newer Mario games.

the reason Petey isnt in Winter Games is because... well, you think of what event he would go in and be fair to go against? And i answered this question a while ago.... Nintendo Logic!

Crackin355 said:
the reason Petey isn't in Winter Games is because... well, you think of what event he would go in and be fair to go against?
...Are you serious? So apparently now, Bullet Bill is fair to go against, even though he has no legs? King Boo is? However, it would be kind of awkward for Petey Piranha to be a boss in Olympic Winter Games, fairness makes no sense.

Bosses aren't supposed to be fair.

Oh, and on topic:

...It's a video game. Nobody says it has to be realistic. I mean think about it. Is it realistic to have Mario and Luigi living inside Bowser's belly? Is it realistic that if Mario eats a mushroom, he suddenly grows big?

Mac said:
Crackin355 said:
the reason Petey isn't in Winter Games is because... well, you think of what event he would go in and be fair to go against?
...Are you serious? So apparently now, Bullet Bill is fair to go against, even though he has no legs? King Boo is? However, it would be kind of awkward for Petey Piranha to be a boss in Olympic Winter Games, fairness makes no sense.

Bosses aren't supposed to be fair.

Oh, and on topic:

...It's a video game. Nobody says it has to be realistic. I mean think about it. Is it realistic to have Mario and Luigi living inside Bowser's belly? Is it realistic that if Mario eats a mushroom, he suddenly grows big?

Maybe they forgot! who knows... oh wait i do! Nintendo Logic!

OMimistasia said:
Don't know why he's gone.

Where do you get the impression that he's gone anywhere? There haven't been as many Mario sports games this generation, but he was still playable in both Mario Strikers Charged and Mario Super Sluggers (even featuring on the cover). He also earned a boss role in Brawl, and clearly influenced Dino Piranha's design in Galaxy.

He's missed a couple of games, sure. But there are actually some pretty logical explanations for most of them:

Mario Kart Wii: the character models in this game are of a lower quality than Double Dash's, which I can only assume is because they didn't want complex models to cause lag during 12-player online races. Petey is one of the most unorthodox characters in the series, and would look noticeably lower quality in such an unrefined state. Additionally, take a look at the character choices and you'll notice that many of them share the exact same foundations as others. Baby Mario/Baby Luigi, Baby Peach/Baby Daisy, Koopa Troopa/Dry Bones, Yoshi/Birdo, and perhaps most importanly, Bowser/Dry Bowser.

In conclusion, the reason Petey wasn't in this game is because they wanted a cast of characters that would cause the least amount of hassle. The likes of Dry Bowser and Funky are only in the game because they're little more than reskins of other characters.

Mario & Sonic Olympics (both): this should be pretty obvious, really. Given Petey's design it would be very difficult and probably quite arduous to accommodate his model in certain events. I do think he should at least have featured as a boss, however.

As for Dry Bowser becoming "the next Petey"...well, considering he wasn't playable in Mario Super Sluggers--a game that starred every Mario character under the sun--I somehow doubt it.

Personally, I think Petey is a brilliant character, so it's always a shame when he doesn't make an appearance. But we just have to accept the fact that with such an unorthodox design, he isn't always going to workable. I do, however, believe that he will continue to act as a recurring boss/playable character for the foreseeable future. It's become more than just a trend to put him in games.

Gabranth said:
OMimistasia said:
Don't know why he's gone.

Where do you get the impression that he's gone anywhere? There haven't been as many Mario sports games this generation, but he was still playable in both Mario Strikers Charged and Mario Super Sluggers (even featuring on the cover). He also earned a boss role in Brawl, and clearly influenced Dino Piranha's design in Galaxy.

He's missed a couple of games, sure. But there are actually some pretty logical explanations for most of them:

Mario Kart Wii: the character models in this game are of a lower quality than Double Dash's, which I can only assume is because they didn't want complex models to cause lag during 12-player online races. Petey is one of the most unorthodox characters in the series, and would look noticeably lower quality in such an unrefined state. Additionally, take a look at the character choices and you'll notice that many of them share the exact same foundations as others. Baby Mario/Baby Luigi, Baby Peach/Baby Daisy, Koopa Troopa/Dry Bones, Yoshi/Birdo, and perhaps most importanly, Bowser/Dry Bowser.

In conclusion, the reason Petey wasn't in this game is because they wanted a cast of characters that would cause the least amount of hassle. The likes of Dry Bowser and Funky are only in the game because they're little more than reskins of other characters.

Mario & Sonic Olympics (both): this should be pretty obvious, really. Given Petey's design it would be very difficult and probably quite arduous to accommodate his model in certain events. I do think he should at least have featured as a boss, however.

As for Dry Bowser becoming "the next Petey"...well, considering he wasn't playable in Mario Super Sluggers--a game that starred every Mario character under the sun--I somehow doubt it.

Personally, I think Petey is a brilliant character, so it's always a shame when he doesn't make an appearance. But we just have to accept the fact that with such an unorthodox design, he isn't always going to workable. I do, however, believe that he will continue to act as a recurring boss/playable character for the foreseeable future. It's become more than just a trend to put him in games.

I give you the "Award of Awesomeness"! :yoshi:

Pretty much, I don't like Dry Bowser...

(And I was going to mention something else, but nevermind.)

I think Petey Piranha's one of the best characters to come out of the series in a long time. Nintendo took a series staple (the piranha plant) and characterized it. The genius lies in its simplicity.

Gabranth said:
I think Petey Piranha's one of the best characters to come out of the series in a long time. Nintendo took a series staple (the piranha plant) and characterized it. The genius lies in its simplicity.
I guess. :-\
But what's your opinion on the subject of Dry Bowser being kind of like a new Petey?

EDIT: Never mind...

To summarize my original post: Dry Bowser has shown no signs of becoming the "new Petey". As we get more sports games for the Wii and beyond, I expect Rosalina will be the main character from this gen to hold down a semi-permanent spot. Not necessarily at the expense of Petey Piranha, either.

Smashgoom202 said:
I don't know... I mean, it's just two games. Petey Piranha had several under his belt before people suddenly started hating him.

When have people started hating him?

Lemmy Koopa Fan said:
Smashgoom202 said:
I don't know... I mean, it's just two games. Petey Piranha had several under his belt before people suddenly started hating him.
Along time ago. Possibly before the Wii came out. The hate is more noticable on older forums.

And now, back to how Bowser could be right next to Dry Bowser.

Here is my explination.

After Dry Bowser is beaten by Mario, he later comes back from the grave. Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings probably weren't happy with their father as a skeleton, so one of them stole the time machine from M&L:PiT to go back in time to get a not-bony Bowser. He brought fleshy Bowser to the present while Dry Bowser is still roaming around.

And there's my explination.

Reversinator said:
And now, back to how Bowser could be right next to Dry Bowser.

Here is my explination.

After Dry Bowser is beaten by Mario, he later comes back from the grave. Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings probably weren't happy with their father as a skeleton, so one of them stole the time machine from M&L:PiT to go back in time to get a not-bony Bowser. He brought fleshy Bowser to the present while Dry Bowser is still roaming around.

And there's my explination.

Yes, but at the end of NSMB they turn Dry Bowser back into Normal Bowser anyway. And I have a feeling someones going to just come and say that the went and brought back Dry Bowser instead, But now tell me, why would they do that?

Dry bowsers pretty uncreative anyway, I mean, Why don't we just take Dry bones and replace Bones with Bowser? Honestly, What were the translators thinking?

Skully said:
Dry bowsers pretty uncreative anyway, I mean, Why don't we just take Dry bones and replace Bones with Bowser? Honestly, What were the translators thinking?
I don't really see anyother possible names. The Japanese name pretty much the same too. :-\

@Reversinator: That's not the point of this thread.

Crackin355 said:
maybe... its a mutated Dry Bones that LOOKS like Bowser so they call him Dry Bowser!
^ Ugh no. In New Super Mario Bros DS, they showed Bowser fall into lava, return as Dry Doswer, die again, and then get reborn in a cauldron (Voldemort Style)

Besides, Petey is awsome. He/She's a plant. Give us at least one plant as a playable character! Please...

EDIT: Damn, beaten several hours in advance. Didn't see page 3. Anyway, I still stand by what I said in my second paragraph.

The Last Stop said:
Crackin355 said:
maybe... its a mutated Dry Bones that LOOKS like Bowser so they call him Dry Bowser!
^ Ugh no. In New Super Mario Bros DS, they showed Bowser fall into lava, return as Dry Doswer, die again, and then get reborn in a cauldron (Voldemort Style)
He was joking. Besides, the lava doesn't explain how Dry Bowser can exist with regular Bowser at the same time. :-\

Crackin355 said:
i have the answer, and i've said it... about 3 times, its... *drum roll* ... Nintendo Logic!
Yes, but most people on the internet want a complex answer. Now stop saying that. It's getting annoying, no offense.

Sheep Man said:
Lemmy Koopa Fan said:
Smashgoom202 said:
Along time ago. Possibly before the Wii came out. The hate is more noticable on older forums.
Possibly?
Everyone I know hated him when he first appeared.

Back