You know what never made any sense to me?

Aiko Heiwa

Power Star
Banned User
People who complain that when a new Pokemon game comes out, that it has the same core gameplay as all the ones in the past.

Isn't it true that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"? Well, is the gameplay of the Pokemon games broken? No, if it was, they would've changed it long ago.

My point is, I just don't get it when people complain that a game has the same gameplay as it's predecessors and yet there was nothing wrong with the gameplay of those.

People hate things that are new regardless of any good things in the new stuff, that's why you see alot of people complaining when new episodes of any TV show come out.

The only problem I have with them making more Pokemon games is that the general style of the Pokemon has changed so drastically since the first generation. And that's not even the main problem, I'm fine with that, the problem is that they keep adding new evolutions to the older Pokemon without even trying to mimic the old style. It's sad.

Piraka Wario said:
The only problem I have with them making more Pokemon games is that the general style of the Pokemon has changed so drastically since the first generation. And that's not even the main problem, I'm fine with that, the problem is that they keep adding new evolutions to the older Pokemon without even trying to mimic the old style. It's sad.
But Lickilicky is cool, right.

But Togekiss sucks. Why'd they have to give Togepi a second evolution.

Lickilicky is OK. I'm talking more about the ones like Magneton becoming Magnezone. I mean, come on, what the fuck is Magnezone doing at the end of Magnemite's evolution?
It's a fucking UFO.

Piraka Wario said:
Lickilicky is OK. I'm talking more about the ones like Magneton becoming Magnezone. I mean, come on, what the *bleep* is Magnezone doing at the end of Magnemite's evolution?
It's a *bleep*ing UFO.
Younger gamers tend to complain if a upgraded version of an enemy is too simular to the first version, same applys to Pokémon.

I like Pomemon as much as the next gamer, but I really don't see the need for like 5 generations on each handheld.

There aren't five generations on each handheld, there's one.
That's sort of how people define a generation of Pokemon.

Super Happy Nerd Time said:
Piraka Wario said:
Lickilicky is OK. I'm talking more about the ones like Magneton becoming Magnezone. I mean, come on, what the *bleep* is Magnezone doing at the end of Magnemite's evolution?
It's a *bleep*ing UFO.
Younger gamers tend to complain if a upgraded version of an enemy is too simular to the first version, same applys to Pokémon.
Despite the fact that most people who play Pokemon are over 13.

Togepi said:
Piraka Wario said:
It's a *bleep*ing UFO.
Not where I live, I know a bunch of n00by 9 year olds (whom I trick into giving me legendaries) that often make fun of generation 1 Pokèmon because thier designs are "ugly". :P

Togepi said:
Piraka Wario said:
It's a *bleep*ing UFO.
Not where I live, I know a bunch of n00by 9 year olds (whom I trick into giving me legendaries) that often make fun of generation 1 Pokèmon because thier designs are "ugly". :P
I mean the real players of it.

The old schoolers, the people who started in Gen. I or II and remember Kanto and Johto. And not via the remakes.

In my case, I do not play pokemon because I´m what you could call a completist. For me, I can´t ignore everything just to get to the credits, because I don´t have fun and a real sense of accomplishment if I don´t get everything... except when that everything really sucks.

However, if the 100% completion suckage is not way too high, I can still bear it. I can finish Mario Sunshine with 119 shines and I won´t say the game is bad just because it has some horrendously tedious to find blue coins, as with 119 shines, it´s obvious that I did find most of them. Same goes for a Metroid game if I end up getting a 99% on scans: that does good for me as I´m not going to replay the game just to get that 1% I missed (and it would be ironic to go and find that scan I missed and end up missing another one I already had on my previous playthrough lol).

However I can´t deal with Pokemon anymore. I haven´t tried the DS games because of how incredibly tedious the GBA versions were to me: EV training, too many random possibilities to get your pokemon right... let´s calculate it:

-25 possible natures of which only one or two will really benefit you pokemon depending on how you want to train it, and about one or two more will be neutral. The rest can potentially screw up your training. This can give you HOURS AND HOURS of bike riding to hacth a million eggs just to get your baby pokemon with the required nature.

-Now try to calculate how to distribute 512 EV´s and do not forgive that the maximum amoun of them a single stat can have is 255 out of those 512. After done with it, go and fight the required pokemon to get those EV´s and buy all the medicine to increase it too. More gameplay hours of no real gameplay.

-Now level your pokemon up to level 100. Countless hours of "fun".

-Done with all this? Good, now do it FIVE MORE TIMES to get a decent pokemon team

And then, watch how the rivals in Colosseum´s battle mode or even the second pokemon league in red/green still kick your ass with criticals you never do against them, 5 turns hitting yourself if confused and many more dirty tricks (if not cheats because you NEVER seem to be able to have your rival sleeping for more than 2 turns after missing the attack like 4 times). Trust me, it gets REALLY frustrating to trying to level up your pokemon to lv100 and watching Gary´s (well, Blue´s) Alakazam surviving that hit that should have killed him with just one HP that you can´t even see, then it kicks your ass with ANOTHER critical, and then Gary(Blue) uses ANOTHER hyperpotion or restore all-potion (dunno how the last one is called in english). And as I said, don´t get me started on Colosseum´s battle mode, despite how much I liked it´s story mode.

And that only covers the battling part. Now I could talk about the tedious contests that require you to form another completely different team to try to win them, as your main pokemon squad will probably do nothing at those contests: Go and make you lv 100 Tyranitar win a beauty contest, I dare you. Oh, so much fun here [/irony]

And don´t get me started on Emerald´s battle frontier. 8 challenges, 5 of which are almost entirely based on luck, with slow battles (it´s like playing multiplayer or even SLOWER... and you´re battling CPU´s), and...

I can´t continue. I still like the franchise A LOT, as I still play the spin-off games (I´m now working on the GBA Pokemon Pinball and it´s great), but I just fear trying the DS games after how much I suffered with the GBA games. I REFUSE to waste 400 hours of my life in another slow and impossible to complete game.

Oh, and I didn´t even count completing the Pokedex on the "getting 100%" part (I just counted levelling to 100 your main team, and beating everything) because if I add the many editions of the games and the secret event pokemon to this mess my head will explod*BOOM*

In short, I like the franchise, but it has got WAY TOO complicated for me. Pokemon was about strategy and fun, not about complex mathematical processes to calculate EV´s and stuff.

That´s why I´m NOT getting Heart Gold or Soul Silver... It has all the good bits that made the original Gold and Silver the masterpieces I still play but with all the new mess which started from the GBA added to it.

Pokémon is just one of those collecting games, they don't expect you collect 490 of them anymore, that's why they don't use the old "Gotta Catch 'Em All" slogan. The DS ones are less nerve racking to those perfectionists, the Migrating feature makes sure you don't have to catch all the old kinds over again if you already have them in a GBA version. Also, trading is easier to do and no more trying to find friends and wires and stuff. The GTS let's you trade with people around the world if you have Wifi. But, the point of video games is just to have fun adventures, not trying to overly complete exactly every single thing. So don't worry if you can't catch them all, just relax and have fun. :)

I think my problem with the pokemon series is that they've already milked the series too much. There's nothing wrong with the formula now, and that's the problem. They've done all they can with it, and now they will just be putting out the same game over and over, the only difference is different pokemon in different areas. Not to say pokemon is bad, Nintendo is just reaching the end of what they can do, in my opinion.

Yeah, a lot of people complain about that... But you know what? Weren't all of the Mario 3D platformers similar after Super Mario 64? And what of The Legend of Zelda games after Ocarina of Time?

Eh, people complain about everything.

Smashgoom202 said:
Yeah, a lot of people complain about that... But you know what? Weren't all of the Mario 3D platformers similar after Super Mario 64? And what of The Legend of Zelda games after Ocarina of Time?

There's a difference between similar and almost the same.

Smashgoom202 said:

Indeed. People tend to nit-pick alot when it comes to video games. Even though they seem to be milking games in general, they're just giving the fans more games, and alot of them are pretty darn good. There is also some expansion in the Pokémon series, they're not just the same "Collect and train" concept, they've been making alot of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games lately, and those have entirely different concepts.

Smashgoom202 said:
Weren't all of the Mario 3D platformers similar after Super Mario 64?
No.
Sms_mario_hover.jpg

Pokémon is just one of those collecting games, they don't expect you collect 490 of them anymore, that's why they don't use the old "Gotta Catch 'Em All" slogan. The DS ones are less nerve racking to those perfectionists, the Migrating feature makes sure you don't have to catch all the old kinds over again if you already have them in a GBA version. Also, trading is easier to do and no more trying to find friends and wires and stuff. The GTS let's you trade with people around the world if you have Wifi. But, the point of video games is just to have fun adventures, not trying to overly complete exactly every single thing. So don't worry if you can't catch them all, just relax and have fun. :)

Tell me that this is true, please, a part of me wants diamond/pearl >_< as I said, my main problem with the franchise is not the "gotta catch ´em all" but the incredibly tedious gameplay (speaking about the metagame, of course).

Easmo said:

Tell me that this is true, please, a part of me wants diamond/pearl >_< as I said, my main problem with the franchise is not the "gotta catch ´em all" but the incredibly tedious gameplay (speaking about the metagame, of course).
It's not as hard as GBA, it's way easier in the begining, it's gets harder as you go along. The post-game is a little annoying due to some Pokémon not wanting to be caught with standard pokéballs, but the quickball makes up for it.

It's not as hard as GBA, it's way easier in the begining, it's gets harder as you go along. The post-game is a little annoying due to some Pokémon not wanting to be caught with standard pokéballs, but the quickball makes up for it.

Ok. I´ll be sure to check it. I once saw it at an incredibly cheap price (9 euros, don´t know how much is that when converted to dollars) but I didn´t have money with me that time >_< still , I´ll look for it.

And sorry for the little off topic :P

Also, the fact that Pokemon is just an incredibly tedious grinding game unless you main the whole thing with your starter. Or at least it was back in generation 1.

Yeah. Not only that, you're in FUCKING SPACE.

Back