So, Uniju's account was deleted...

Power Star
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Retired Wiki Staff
...thus deleting all his posts as well.

However, from what I know, when an account is deleted, that account's posts are given to a guest with the same name as the account. If that's true, then the posts are still in the database, but simply aren't displayed because guests can't post.

And if that's the case, then someone with database access can run a SQL query to get those posts back and attribute them to his current account. I'm thinking that query would look like:

UPDATE `smf`.`smf_messages` SET `ID_MEMBER` = '970',
`posterName` = 'Uniju' WHERE `smf_messages`.`posterName` ='Brie Loader' ;

You'd need to replace "Brie Loader" with whatever the account was called when it was deleted, "smf_" with whatever Mariowiki uses for its table prefix, "smf" (without the underscore) with the database name, and "970" with the correct user ID for the current account. All of these would be easy to find for anyone who can actually run the query.

Although I'm not so good with SQL, I did test this on a local installation of SMF.

Anyway, would this work, or am I insane and wrong?

EDIT: And I apologize if this should be posted somewhere else.

2257 said:
However, from what I know, when an account is deleted, that account's posts are given to a guest with the same name as the account. If that's true, then the posts are still in the database, but simply aren't displayed because guests can't post.
That's odd, considering Glowsquid's posts made with his former account (which he deleted in a fit of rage) are still displayed.

2257 said:
The Spanish Inquisition said:
2257 said:
That's odd, considering Glowsquid's posts made with his former account (which he deleted in a fit of rage) are still displayed.
Ah, well then I'm wrong, and it's more complicated than this. I have to wonder what actually did happen.

Still, it may be possible to salvage those posts.
I could be wrong, since I know very little about the process of deleting an account and it's posts on SMF based forums (or any other forums for that matter), but maybe there is an option that allows Global Mods and Administrators to delete all the account's posts.

2257 said:
Do you have an example of a topic where that account posted?
I didn't notice this part until now, do you mean Uniju's or Glowsquid's?

If it's the latter, http://forum.mariowiki.com/index.php?topic=1689.0

2257 said:

If its the first im pretty sure he posted in "Good wishes aren't always good wishes"

Tucayo said:
2257 said:

If its the first im pretty sure he posted in "Good wishes aren't always good wishes"
That was the first thread that came to mind.

That's because, when I deleted it, I didn't choose the "delete all posts made by this user" option, which is what whoever deleted Uniju's account did.

Glowsquid said:

That's because, when I deleted it, I didn't choose the "delete all posts made by this user" option, which is what whoever deleted Uniju's account did.
Funny, I don't even get that option.

Glowsquid said:

I know, I only said "That's odd" in response to what 2257 said.

Glowsquid said:

For the record, the deleted posts and account could have been recovered, but Steve felt a rollback for a single account was a bit excessive.

Back