What Movies Have You Seen Recently?

Hilary Briss said:
How to Train Your Dragon.

Still a brilliant movie. I really need to see the sequel.
Shame :/

The Meta Knight Before Christmas said:
Fat Mario said:
Worst to best animated movies I've seen recently:
The Lion King II: The animation was good. Everything about Zira was good. Everything else is crap.

Disney has always had crap sequels
Lion King 1 1/2 was a better sequel.

DragonFreak said:
Fat Mario said:
The Lion King II: The animation was good. Everything about Zira was good. Everything else is crap.

Isn't that just a bunch of shorts about Timon and Pumba? (Or however it's spelled)

Fat Mario said:
DragonFreak said:
Fat Mario said:

Isn't that just a bunch of shorts about Timon and Pumba? (Or however it's spelled)
If you're being serious, no.

We watched 15 minutes of The Outsiders after we finished the book in English class, it's good so far.

Nabber said:
The Great Gatsby

A good example of how excessive narration can be very bad for movies.
And excessive symbolism.

DID YA SEE THAT GREEN LIGHT? IT'S SYMBOLIC. DON'T WORRY, WE'LL SHOW IT 50 MORE TIMES TO GET THE POINT ACROSS.

Nabber said:
or "HEY GUYS THE EYES OF TJ ECKLEBURG ARE LIKE THE EYES OF GOD HUH ISN'T THAT NEAT"
Oh yeah, that two.

I read the book in English class. I enjoyed it but it wasn't my favorite oR anything. The movie was pretty meh. I actually liked Leo as Gatsby though.

GalacticPetey said:
Nabber said:
or "HEY GUYS THE EYES OF TJ ECKLEBURG ARE LIKE THE EYES OF GOD HUH ISN'T THAT NEAT"
Oh yeah, that two.

I read the book in English class. I enjoyed it but it wasn't my favorite oR anything. The movie was pretty meh. I actually liked Leo as Gatsby though.
i thought the book was pretty good

tobey maguire was an awful choice for nick though

The Corner Gas Movie

So good. Funny like the show always was, and while they scaled up the plot and feels, it wasn't overdone and there were some good surprises.

I liked how thy made the coffee guy not actually a sinister villain out to kill the town, but my favourite messing-around-with-expectations moment was the ending. They managed to get the central leads together without making it a cliche last-minute hookup kinda deal, and even better, they're the rare couple who aren't gonna do the babies ever after route, AND as if that wasn't already great enough, they revealed it as a big "suck it" moment to the selfish as hell "I want grandchildren" bullshit parents are always shoving down their adult children's throats (but of course did it in a light-hearted and funny way). Absolutely perfect.

Sad to see the cop car get burned, tho. Very tragic.

Nabber said:
GalacticPetey said:
Nabber said:
Oh yeah, that two.

i thought the book was pretty good

tobey maguire was an awful choice for nick though
We actually watched the movie in class. Everytime Tobey showed up we would all be making Spider-Man jokes.

My friends and I pretty much MST3K'd that movie while we were watching it.

yeah we're watching the movie in class, that's why i watched it at home first

funny, i'm mst3k'ing the movie with my friend

Big Hero 6

Not gonna lie, I cried.

Going to tackle these to the best of my ability. Answers in bold. Remember, first and foremost this is a kids' movie, they're not going to nitpick finer consistencies. The ones I didn't answer is because I'm not even sure how to respond to them.

Nabber said:
inconsistencies in small details
-like how baymax loses his battery just once, but never again

This, I will agree was one of the inconsistencies I noticed. I thought it was going to come up again, likely in the final fight and that's how Baymax would've died, but I guess it was just a one-off for a joke.

-how he recharges in a matter of seconds

It didn't really bother me, but I guess it applies to the same point above.

-how tadashi's baseball hat shows up on his bed even though it wasn't there before

I'm going to guess it was used as a "this was all that was left of him" memorabilia for the funeral for him and callahgan. This did not bother me at all.

-how tadashi dies even though he should have only been severely injured by the explosion

Have you been in a fiery explosion and survived? Why do you think he would only be seriously injured? The whole building blew up, no one would have survived that by normal means. The entire university had to rebuilt.

-how honey lemon peeks through a door at the teleporter and says "hey guys look at this" even though she wouldn't have been able to see anything from her position in the room

-how baymax is shown as being rather slow, but exists the house in a matter of seconds

You're going to have to tell me which scene(s) in specific because remember Hiro installed a "fighter card" into baymax. When Baymax goes rogue for a few seconds to try to kill callaghan, he moves at a considerable place, which is part of the card's function.

-how baymax says "you have to wait an hour after eating to swim" but hiro hasn't eaten anything

Um, did you miss the fact the fact that baymax is a healthcare robot? It was a joke. His entire job is to make sure his patient is in top shape. He saves Hiro's life not because Hiro was going to fall into the water and drown, but because it went against Baymax's protocol of a healthy diet/life.

-how the rest of the team manages to get back into hiro's garage only a few minutes after hiro gets there despite being left on the island

Fred called a chopper. His parents are millionaires, they probably own a chopper that goes faster than normal. We don't even know how much time elapsed between the events.

-how baymax appears in hiro's home even though he should have been destroyed in the explosion

First, iirc, there wasn't an explosion, Baymax sacrificed his last source of power to save Hiro and Abigail from hyperspace. He simply floats away into the void. Second, that wasn't the "original" Baymax in Hiro's home after. Remember, Baymax isn't just the robot, it's the program too. Without the program, Baymax is lifeless or in another case, a totally different machine (i.e. see the rogue Baymax). Also, Hiro knows how to make Baymax. Remember, he's a genius and he knows exactly how his brother built him, he even names the components of Baymax in the beginning when Tadashi shows him Baymax for the first time. And Hiro refitted Baymax with upgrades and armors so he knows the size/dimensions as well. The only thing that was left of the old Baymax was his heart, the most important part of the robot. It's how Baymax recognized Hiro immediately after he was rebuilt.
i also noticed a large amount of lines were repeated, and the plot still doesn't make sense to me

Also, what specific parts of the plot didn't make sense. Were they major parts or just minor inconsistencies?

Grim said:
Paddington

Was incredibly cheesy, but still incredibly fun.
the trailer for paddington looks so awful but the movie has gotten good reviews so i don't know what to think of it
Gamefreak75 said:
Nabber said:
inconsistencies in small details
-like how baymax loses his battery just once, but never again

This, I will agree was one of the inconsistencies I noticed. I thought it was going to come up again, likely in the final fight and that's how Baymax would've died, but I guess it was just a one-off for a joke.

-how he recharges in a matter of seconds

It didn't really bother me, but I guess it applies to the same point above.

-how tadashi's baseball hat shows up on his bed even though it wasn't there before

I'm going to guess it was used as a "this was all that was left of him" memorabilia for the funeral for him and callahgan. This did not bother me at all. I mean that when Baymax and Hiro leave the house to find where the nanobot was going, Tadashi's bed was noticeably empty; but when they returned, Tadashi's hat was lying on the bed. I could be wrong about that, but I'm 90% sure.

-how tadashi dies even though he should have only been severely injured by the explosion

Have you been in a fiery explosion and survived? Why do you think he would only be seriously injured? The whole building blew up, no one would have survived that by normal means. The entire university had to rebuilt. [/i]yeah i'm no expert on explosions so there's a good chance i'm wrong about this but considering he had barely entered the building when the explosion happened, i'd think he'd have just been blown outward and suffered burn injuries and stuff. but yeah i'm probably wrong about this[/i]

-how honey lemon peeks through a door at the teleporter and says "hey guys look at this" even though she wouldn't have been able to see anything from her position in the room

-how baymax is shown as being rather slow, but exits the house in a matter of seconds

You're going to have to tell me which scene(s) in specific because remember Hiro installed a "fighter card" into baymax. When Baymax goes rogue for a few seconds to try to kill callaghan, he moves at a considerable place, which is part of the card's function. [/i]The scene where Hiro and Baymax run through San Fransokyo to find where the microbots were going to. When Baymax was first turned on, he was shown as being slow, and having to looks around the room carefully and move objects out of his way to move. Yet when he runs away from Hiro to go track down where the microbots are going, he exits the house in a few seconds and manages to traverse San Fransokyo with ease. His slowness, like the low battery and also when he had to reinflate himself with tape, was just used for a one-time joke.

-how baymax says "you have to wait an hour after eating to swim" but hiro hasn't eaten anything

Um, did you miss the fact the fact that baymax is a healthcare robot? It was a joke. His entire job is to make sure his patient is in top shape. He saves Hiro's life not because Hiro was going to fall into the water and drown, but because it went against Baymax's protocol of a healthy diet/life. Yeah, which is what I'm saying. Hiro hadn't eaten anything before he left as far as I can tell. Maybe he had those gummy bears or whatever that showed up for no reason, I can't really remember now.

-how the rest of the team manages to get back into hiro's garage only a few minutes after hiro gets there despite being left on the island

Fred called a chopper. His parents are millionaires, they probably own a chopper that goes faster than normal. We don't even know how much time elapsed between the events. Yeah, I forgot about that.

-how baymax appears in hiro's home even though he should have been destroyed in the explosion

First, iirc, there wasn't an explosion, Baymax sacrificed his last source of power to save Hiro and Abigail from hyperspace. He simply floats away into the void. Second, that wasn't the "original" Baymax in Hiro's home after. Remember, Baymax isn't just the robot, it's the program too. Without the program, Baymax is lifeless or in another case, a totally different machine (i.e. see the rogue Baymax). Also, Hiro knows how to make Baymax. Remember, he's a genius and he knows exactly how his brother built him, he even names the components of Baymax in the beginning when Tadashi shows him Baymax for the first time. And Hiro refitted Baymax with upgrades and armors so he knows the size/dimensions as well. The only thing that was left of the old Baymax was his heart, the most important part of the robot. It's how Baymax recognized Hiro immediately after he was rebuilt. I wasn't talking about the climax of the movie, I was talking about the explosion that killed Tadashi. Since Baymax was a school project and shown to have been in the school, it'd be weird for him to be at home at the time of the explosion.
i also noticed a large amount of lines were repeated, and the plot still doesn't make sense to me

Also, what specific parts of the plot didn't make sense. Were they major parts or just minor inconsistencies?
responded to your responses in the quote, my new responses in italics. i really wouldn't care about these things if the rest of the movie was good, but since i didn't enjoy the movie it just feels like it had really convenient writing

What I really don't get about this movie and what really bothers me is the villain. This movie essentially has no plot besides the villain and Hiro's grief sideplot. The latter just felt standard and conventional to me and I guess that varies from person to person so there's nothing to argue about there. But after Disney's past four movies that each had excellent villains, I was seriously disappointed with this one. He has almost no lines until the end of the movie, his motive is extremely weak (his daughter was killed? that's nice, but considering she had a grand total of two lines, i don't think anyone can argue that she's nothing more than a convenient plot device.)

the twist does not work at all for a few reasons - 1, this movie follows up frozen, which had a similar twist; 2, they make such a big deal about it being krei that it wouldn't make sense for it to be krei; 3, the only reason the villain would have a mask would be to make a twist; 4, whereas in frozen people actually liked hans, callaghan plays too small a part for him to be surprising as a villain.

his plan is also needlessly complicated. i mean, why is the ideal way to get revenge to fake his own death, destroy his own university, steal the microbots, use them to rebuild the teleporter, and then use that to destroy krei's new building? and keep in mind, he came up with all of this basically as soon as he saw the microbots. it's cool, sure, but there are a thousand other more convenient ways to get revenge than, you know, faking your own death. i mean, if he was so upset about losing everything he had, destroying your own university doesn't seem like a good idea. (it also leads to the question to where everyone in this movie got their funds... this stuff all costs so much money... but whatever, that's another nitpick. i have a lot more nitpicks but i'm not going to bother you with all of them)

and, simply put, he was an underwhelming villain. as i said, he barely had any lines or any personality, and honestly, he didn't make very good use of those microbots, either. there were some cool parts - like when he enveloped the car in a tunnel of microbots - but a lot of the times he just settled for throwing the microbots like punches. talk about underwhelming (and inefficient, too.) especially at the end, when he tried to send baymax and hiro into the teleporter, and he ran out of microbots, i don't see why he couldn't just lower his own giant tower of microbots a little bit to add more to the tower carrying baymax and hiro.

again i'd really be fine with this if there was a good part to the movie, but everything just felt mediocre. the jokes gave me a few chuckles, but nothing that i thought was particularly clever or rip-roaringly funny. and many of the characters didn't get enough lines, which is a shame because they had a lot of potential. though for all of my complaints, i really don't hate this movie that much, i just think it's pretty overrated (and yes, frozen was overrated too, but everyone made a point of that.)

Back