Is Mario better in 2D or 3D

Because it's not like graphics don't matter in Mario games. With each new console generation, there should be a visible improvement in graphics over the last console. Think about GameCube to Wii, or Wii U to Switch. No major improvements, but they always look better than before. As someone who very much enjoys looking at a crystal-clear Forza Horizon 5 running smooth as butter on my $1000 2023 Dell XPS, it's just a little disappointing to see Nintendo so far behind, but it's not the graphics that makes a Mario game anyway.

well what exactly would you like me to clear up? If it helps, graphics aren't the most important things about Mario games, but I still like to bring them up.

Clarification, ps4-level graphics =/= realistic

The thing about PS4 graphics is that they're flexible, which I think is part of why it has been able to stay successful for so long. A Mario game with these sorts of capabilities might not necessarily be more realistic, but instead look more polished, clear, and smooth, even if it is still cartoony. LGM is right though, PS4 graphics aren't that impressive, and don't compete super well these days. There's just always been this weird thing about Mario games where they almost feel better with below average graphics, so idk.

Last edited:
I think Mario games benefit with better graphics on a more powerful console. But when I mean ps4-level graphics =/= realistic I mean in terms of console power versus a graphical STYLE. They're getting conflated as the same, but my point is that the PS4 is a console capable of Uncharted 4 and also capable of Ratchet and Clank a Rift Apart or Crash 4

I think the 2D/3D approach from Super Mario 3D World is best, but I also like the fact of how something like Super Mario U looked too. The problem with the 3D Mario games is that I often feel like the camera controls don't always behave responsively or allow you to see everything. I know Mario 64's camera controls are particularly bogged down by this fact. Mario Galaxy and Mario Odyssey seem to do it better, but I still have problems on a few levels because of the camera. Bad camera controls don't always ruin the game for me though, especially on Mario games - I've just kinda accepted it as a hazard that sometimes the camera doesn't want to be your friend and allow you to see everything.

Back