Post-a-Mon: A Weekly Pokemon Drawing Challenge

Another week has come and passed! Don't worry if you missed out in the last week or previous weeks and would like to return to any prompts; you're always welcome to do just that. Trust me, I'm gonna be playing the catch-up game pretty soon lol

Your prompt for Week 5 is:
Silhouette
Utilize the following outline in any way you'd like to inspire your Pokemon of the week. You can copy the shape directly, or use it as any other spark of an idea.
Untitled198_20230108100329.png

The silhouette is in the head!
1BB3F364-EA1D-4C5C-82A8-474ECDA523A6.png

Telespina

Third Eye Pokémon

Psychic Type

Gender ratio: 50/50

Height: 2'06" (0.7 meters)

Weight: 28 lbs (12.7 kg)

Abilities: Keen eye, Strong Jaw, Super Luck (Hidden)

Dex 1: The marking between the eyes isn't an eye! It's just a marking on top of an organ that heightens its senses. Telaspina has great eyesight which helps it catch prey.

Dex 2: It is friendlier than it looks, though it can use its high senses to see if an individual is intending to harm it or not; it lunges and attacks those who do want to harm it. Telaspina really doesn't have three eyes.

Stats:
Hp: 62
Attack: 85
Defense: 55
Special attack: 77
Special defense: 56
Speed: 60

No evolutions. Caught mid-game. I took inspiration from Tuataras and a mild bit from Spinosaurus.

Oh, I forgot that I'm two weeks behind on this. I'll have to come back to the Convergent Grass-type prompt. Good thing there's no other Pokémon related things on the forum that I keep putting off updates for, hehe... he... heeeee.......

Anyways, Week 4 to come as I get back on these regularly, but, for now, have Week 5!

Kintshuckli.png

Name: Kintshuckli​

Name derivation: The art of kintsugi combined with Shuckle

Type: Bug/Steel

Inspirations: Pottery, Shuckle, Shuckle beta designs, kintsugi

Abilities:
-Good as Gold

Miscellaneous details:
-Shuckle Evolution, evolution requirements: Hold "Regal Juice," take 100 HP damage from Steel-type moves without healing/fainting, then use an Earthen Pot while both requirements are met
-Regal Juice held by wild Shuckle with 5% chance, said to be made from rare berries the same way Shuckle make Berry Juice
-Regal Juice's real-world inspiration is Aqua Regia, solution which dissolves gold
-Steel-type moves represent addition of precious metals
-Earthen Pot provides Shuckle new home for evolution
-Difficult and obtuse evolution method complements its defensive prowess. Doubles down on Shuckle's defenses by adding 45 to base def. and sp. def.
-Defenses further boosted by Good as Gold ability protecting from most Status moves.
-Rare evolution of Shuckle, only discovered after domestication of Shuckle - it is believed it would not have arisen without human intervention
-Artists introduce Kintshuckli into broken pots and feed it a steady diet of a precious metal. It metabolizes these and fills in the cracks of its home.
-Three color variants (excluding shinies): Turquoise (pictured), Jade (green jar), Garent (red jar)
-The core concept nods at Shuckle's original design placing it inside a jar so it could ferment berries into juice, placing it back in a jar and making it useful to humans in a new way.
-I'm so sorry about your new 4x Fire weakness

Domestication of Shuckle is believed to have paved the way for this evolution to arise. Kintshuckli constantly secrets Regal Juice, using it to dissolve the precious metals that it consumes. Skilled artists use Kintshuckli to repair broken pottery, turning its damage into a valued part of its history. Due to the evenness with which Kintshuckli apply the metal and the sturdiness of the repaired pottery, Kintshuckli-repaired items fetch high prices.

Domestication combined with evolution has caused this Pokémon to become lethargic and unable to find food on its own. Despite the incorporation of metal into its shell and its increased bulk strengthening its defenses, Kintshuckli is entirely dependent on humans to provide it a steady diet of precious metals. Reports of Kintshuckli released into the wild providing protection to Meowth and Murkrow in exchange for the other Pokémon bringing back precious metals are unconfirmed and remain under investigation.

NlS381V.png

first off, everyone play Live-a-Live because the brainrot from that game is what inspired me here, near future is my favourite chapter and akira is a pretty cool blorbo, eh runs a taiyaki stand and doesn't afraid of anything

Anyway, there was no way I was skipping this "week" after seeing that prompt, even though its been like a month. The very simplistic fish silhouette instantly reminded me of the japanese street food taiyaki, which is basically a fried, fish-shaped cake filled with red bean paste. The etymology for that is literally tai, being sea bream, and yaki, meaning to cook/bake/fry/etc. There are sometimes other fillings and colours but red bean paste is the most common.

So.... introducing, my horribly-named Taiyacotta, the Terracotta Fish Pokemon, a Rock/Ghost type because im sick of fairy types being related to pastries and such, 9 gens in we still don't have this particular typing, and im forever mad that Runerigus, one of my favourite pokemon, is a ground type.

1920px-3hiki_sot.jpg
1920px-Terracotta_Army_%286143564816%29.jpg
1920px-Taiyaki_baking_by_ope_in_Tokyo.jpg

Left: a halved Taiyaki, showcasing the red bean paste and other fillings
Middle: statues in the Terracotta Army
Right: taiyaki in the taiyaki army i mean being fried at a stall
all sourced from wikimedia

I love the Cofagrigus line, but instead of being a regional evolution like Runerigus, Taiyacotta is a convergent species that remains a single-stage Pokemon. I was inspired by two things: taiyaki, and the statues of the Terracotta army. Salt baked fish is another minor inspiration detailed further below. So, keeping it simple, Taiyacotta is a Ghost-type Pokemon that occupies a carved rock or clay model of a fish, similar to the Cofagrigus line, but making it part Rock-type due to the casing. I don't want to hear about how uhm ackshually clay is more like refined dirt so it should be ground type like Claydol or Golurk, I will shove you into a locker. Minior is probably another minor inspiration due to its breakable outer casing, and my beloved star child hasn't been brought back for several generations, so (ignoring that meteorites and terracotta are barely the same) that's good enough for me!

The ghost is visible through a crack in the bottom of the casing, similar to where one would slice an actual whole fish to stuff it with herbs/etc. It regularly disguises itself as just a clay fish, and holds the cracked pieces together in place with an adhesive substance (usually just dried bean jam it gets from taiyaki stalls). It's name is just tai and terracotta in case that somehow wasn't obvious,

Unlike the Cofagrigus line, the ghost takes on a slightly reddish colour, likely due to its desire to mimic the street desert itself, and scare tourists and other hungry patrons of taiyaki stands, since taiyaki is also its favourite desert. Of course, you'd probably expect taiyaki shaped like Magikarp to be the canon appearance, but I like the idea that these guys are occupying ancient stone fish casings that showcase naturally-appearing fish and no one really understands why so many of them were made, but have theories nonetheless. hey girl, fish

Due to terracotta being pretty fragile, if a Taiyacotta loses half of its fish casing, it will gather up cracked pieces of clay pots, chipped sedimentary rocks, and such to try and rebuild itself. If it can't find enough pieces, it will resort to scratching/breaking sedimentary rocks to carve out a new shell, as it prefers as much of its body being encased as possible. It preys on Baltoy/Claydol, and since being domesticated, regularly fights Sinistea/Polteageist for turf (abandoned antique shops/houses). However, it's most often found in buried temples, provided they haven't been flooded. Archaeologists can't really explain why so many temples are filled with clay statues of fish, but they suspect Relicanth was once a highly worshipped pokemon by ancient societies. They usually swarm like schools of actual fish, resembling lines of terracotta soliders.

Anyway, some very basic nerdy stuff: its a very original Shell Smash sweeper archetype pokemon with the very original ability pairings of Weak/Shell armor, but it's made somewhat viable because it has the hidden ability Purifying Salt, because I remember making salt-baked sea bream in the critically acclaimed generation defining Cooking Mama 3, which had a breaded casing resembling a stylised fish. Plus, due to Purifying Salt's resistance, it helps with its typing, since Rock types lost their Ghost resistance after Gen 5. It also gets Fischious Rend because yes

Taiyacotta, the Terracotta Fish Pokemon
Type: Rock/Ghost
Abilities: Shell Armor/Weak Armor/Purifying Salt
Movepool selection: Curse, Sweet Scent, Mean Look, Hone Claws, Shadow Sneak, Shadow Claw, Ancient Power, Rock Tomb, Shell Smash, Stone Edge, Earthquake, Sand Tomb, Fischious Rend (meme)

This Pokemon was uncovered when an excavation team dug into the antechamber of an ancient temple, finding a necropolis filled with terracotta fish models as far as the eye could see. It has since become enamored with street food, favouriting both savory and sweet fried dough, and regularly harasses foodies for half of their treats after they've been purchased.
Taiyacotta prefers to occupy terracotta figures or rugged, hollowed out rocks if it can no longer find enough clay, particularly ones shaped like mysterious fish. When its outer shell is smashed, it will retreat into one half of its fish model, and try to rebuild a new half by holding together shards of baked clay with bean paste. Scientists believe there may be a common Ghost-type pokemon ancestor that links pokemon such as Taiyacotta, Polteageist, Runerigus, Cofagrigus, and Mimikyu.

Last edited:
*KICKS DOWN DOOR*
I'm here.... for 100% completion.

Convergent species of a Grass-type Pokemon
In the same style as Wiglett or Toedscool, take any Grass-type that interests you, and consider what a closely-related species could look like if it emerged in a different environment or situation.

PlateLotad.png

PlateLombre.png

PlateLudicolo.png

Names: Platad, Porcelaimbre, Ludikaolo​
Name derivations, "-tad" ending from "Lotad" and the word "plated", as in the arrangement of food on a plate; "porcelain" and the "-mbre" from "Lombre"; kaolinite and the "ludi-" and "-olo" in Ludicolo

Types: Rock; Rock/Ice; Rock/Ice

Inspirations: Fine china/Porcelain Dishware, Waiters, Refrigeration, Yetis

Abilities:
-Snow Cloak
-Slush Rush
-Sturdy (Hidden, Platad)/Snow Warning (Hidden, Porcelaimbre and Ludikaolo)

Evolution:
Platad to Porcelaimbre, Level 14
Porcelaimbre to Ludikaolo, Ice Stone

Miscellaneous details:
-Live in rocky, snowy mountains, moves through large amounts of deep snow. Typically tunneling just under the surface of the snow, carving a path through.
-The hardened "dishes" upon their heads allow them to keep their limbs free for tunneling and, peeking out from above the piles of snow, keep food and resources they want to take with them from falling and getting lost in the snow
-Their bodies are mostly made of rust-colored kaolinite. The dishes on their head are made of refined kaolinite, altered through their metabolic processes, then deposited and built up over time.
-They dig deep into the snow to reach rocks and minerals, their main food source. They must consume kaolinite regularly.
-Their bills have a thick lair of whitish-blueish fur upon them. More of their body is covered by fur as they evolve. I promise all the white and blue areas that aren't on their dishes are supposed to be fur.
-When Platad evolves, it gains the Ice-type, gaining the ability to generate and use ice and snow to its advantage.
-I always thought it was a bit disappointing that the Lotad line didn't lean into its status as Kappas more. I still didn't do that, though. Instead, as a nod to their kappa theme, I decided to incorporate some light inspirations from another mythological creature, the yeti.

Platad said:
Its light, flattened body helps it to avoid sinking deeply into the snow blanketing its mountainous homes. As it forages in the snow, it keeps food and other resources atop the dish on its head.

Platad said:
It searches through the snow for gravel and minerals, its food. When it burrows deep into the snow to reach the rock below, it uses its sensitive bill to identify what it encounters. Thick fur protects the bill from the cold.

Porcelaimbre said:
Having gained claws and a larger fur coat, it tunnels through the snow at a greater depth than Platad. It uses its sensitive bill like forceps, breaking off pieces of stone with its claws before plucking them out of the snow. The markings on its dish are highly variable, and competitions among enthusiasts regularly seek the "most exquisitely-patterned Porcelaimbre".

Porcelaimbre said:
Its tendency to carry items on its dish and its laid-back disposition make it strangely popular in the food service industry, where it is employed to carry meals to guests. A popular false etymology that circulates on social media claims that diners end meals by asking for a bill because they once were asking for "the bill of a Porcelaimbre", which would bring them a frozen dessert to enjoy at the conclusion of their meal.

Ludikaolo said:
Its body has grown large and stout, its fur coat has grown thicker, and its disposition has turned aggressive. Ludikaolo will drive Porcelaimbre and the Platad which depend on them out of an area it claims as its territory. The rare naturally-evolved Ludikaolo can extirpate its entire evolutionary line from a mountain.

Ludikaolo said:
Despite its aggression, some restaurants insist on employing it to serve drinks. The organ atop its head constantly releases ice-cold air, chilling anything on the dish on its head, including beverages.

Back