Sonia Sotomayor and her "Wise Latina" comments

Is Sotomayor racist?

  • Yes

    Votes: 2 20.0%
  • No

    Votes: 8 80.0%

  • Total voters
    10

Yoshario

King Bowser
I don't think it was that racist. If it was so racist, how come the media didn't bitch about it when she said it eight years ago?
 

Weasel

Donkey Kong
Retired Forum Mod
The media is only bitching about it now because she's a female minority in a position of power. Had she never been appointed, we'd hear nothing of it.
 

Mr. I

Goomba
Banned User
as someone who is hspanic myself I found it in awful taste. If a white guy said the same thing, his career would be over. The same should go for anyone else.
 

ShyGuy27

The Cardinal is dead -- long live The Cardinal!
Mr. I said:
as someone who is hspanic myself I found it in awful taste. If a white guy said the same thing, his career would be over. The same should go for anyone else.
Silly person, don't you know the rules of racism? It's fine to be racist as long as it's against your own race.
 

Smiddle

Power Star
Racism is when you believe that some 'races' (or ethnicities) are more superior than others. That's the true definition of racism. I don't know what this woman has said, but if it doesn't match the previously mentioned criteria, it is not racism.
 

Weasel

Donkey Kong
Retired Forum Mod
$ππ!∂∂∫£ said:
I don't know what this woman has said, but if it doesn't match the previously mentioned criteria, it is not racism.
"I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life."
;)
 

ShyGuy27

The Cardinal is dead -- long live The Cardinal!
Crow T. Robot said:
$ππ!∂∂∫£ said:
I don't know what this woman has said, but if it doesn't match the previously mentioned criteria, it is not racism.
"I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life."
;)
Wait, people are getting pissed about THAT? My god, our society is waaaay too touchy.
 

Smiddle

Power Star
$‡¥₲Ú¥27 said:
Crow T. Robot said:
$ππ!∂∂∫£ said:
I don't know what this woman has said, but if it doesn't match the previously mentioned criteria, it is not racism.
"I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life."
;)
Wait, people are getting pissed about THAT? My god, our society is waaaay too touchy.
You don't say. Over here, you're called a racist as fast as you know of a very simple and fully feasible way to dramatically reduce crime rates.
 

SmartGuy

A complete wanker.
$‡¥₲Ú¥27 said:
Mr. I said:
as someone who is hspanic myself I found it in awful taste. If a white guy said the same thing, his career would be over. The same should go for anyone else.
Silly person, don't you know the rules of racism? It's fine to be racist as long as it's against your own race.
:/
 

Smiddle

Power Star
Belloq said:
$‡¥₲Ú¥27 said:
Mr. I said:
as someone who is hspanic myself I found it in awful taste. If a white guy said the same thing, his career would be over. The same should go for anyone else.
Silly person, don't you know the rules of racism? It's fine to be racist as long as it's against your own race.
:/
Actually it's true. I mean, black people use the N-word as a greeting, almost.
 

Weasel

Donkey Kong
Retired Forum Mod
$‡¥₲Ú¥27 said:
Crow T. Robot said:
$ππ!∂∂∫£ said:
I don't know what this woman has said, but if it doesn't match the previously mentioned criteria, it is not racism.
"I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life."
;)
Wait, people are getting pissed about THAT? My god, our society is waaaay too touchy.
inorite?
I'd much rather have a "wise Latina" in office than a dumb white guy.
 

Goombowser

Koopa Troopa
Banned User
My teacher wanted me to write a paper about reverse racism but I refused because I didn't know what it was.
 

Stooben Rooben

Star Spirit
Chat Administrator
Retired Wiki Staff
$‡¥₲Ú¥27 said:
Crow T. Robot said:
$ππ!∂∂∫£ said:
I don't know what this woman has said, but if it doesn't match the previously mentioned criteria, it is not racism.
"I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life."
;)
Wait, people are getting pissed about THAT? My god, our society is waaaay too touchy.
Seriously. Another thing is that the media will dig up dirt on the stupidest damn stuff in order to make it seem 100 times worse than it actually is.
 
$ππ!∂∂∫£ said:
$‡¥₲Ú¥27 said:
Crow T. Robot said:
$ππ!∂∂∫£ said:
I don't know what this woman has said, but if it doesn't match the previously mentioned criteria, it is not racism.
"I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life."
;)
Wait, people are getting pissed about THAT? My god, our society is waaaay too touchy.
You don't say. Over here, you're called a racist as fast as you know of a very simple and fully feasible way to dramatically reduce crime rates.
Like what, killing all the immigrants? I'd say that's racist.
 

SmartGuy

A complete wanker.
ScarecrowPerson said:
$ππ!∂∂∫£ said:
$‡¥₲Ú¥27 said:
Crow T. Robot said:
$ππ!∂∂∫£ said:
I don't know what this woman has said, but if it doesn't match the previously mentioned criteria, it is not racism.
"I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life."
;)
Wait, people are getting pissed about THAT? My god, our society is waaaay too touchy.
You don't say. Over here, you're called a racist as fast as you know of a very simple and fully feasible way to dramatically reduce crime rates.
Like what, killing all the immigrants? I'd say that's racist.
Smiddle or myself never once said anything about desiring to kill all immigrants, only to deport the crime committing immigrants back to where they originally came from, I'd say that's not racist. </off-topic>

So is that comment saying that it's better to have an experienced person of one ethinicity in a position of power than it is to have an inexperienced person of another ethnicity?

$ππ!∂∂∫£ said:
Actually it's true. I mean, black people use the N-word as a greeting, almost.
I don't really see what difference that makes.
 

ShyGuy27

The Cardinal is dead -- long live The Cardinal!
Belloq said:
$ππ!∂∂∫£ said:
Actually it's true. I mean, black people use the N-word as a greeting, almost.
I don't really see what difference that makes.
Well, if a white guy goes up to a black guy and goes "Hey n*****!" he'd probably get stabbed.
 

SmartGuy

A complete wanker.
$‡¥₲Ú¥27 said:
Belloq said:
$ππ!∂∂∫£ said:
Actually it's true. I mean, black people use the N-word as a greeting, almost.
I don't really see what difference that makes.
Well, if a white guy goes up to a black guy and goes "Hey n*****!" he'd probably get stabbed.
Yes, but why should it be any different if a black guy says to another black guy "Hey ni****!"

Also:

So is that comment saying that it's better to have an experienced person of one ethinicity in a position of power than it is to have an inexperienced person of another ethnicity?
 

ShyGuy27

The Cardinal is dead -- long live The Cardinal!
Belloq said:
$‡¥₲Ú¥27 said:
Belloq said:
$ππ!∂∂∫£ said:
Actually it's true. I mean, black people use the N-word as a greeting, almost.
I don't really see what difference that makes.
Well, if a white guy goes up to a black guy and goes "Hey n*****!" he'd probably get stabbed.
Yes, but why should it be any different if a black guy says to another black guy "Hey ni****!"
It shouldn't be, but remember the rules of racism that I brought up way back there?
 

Smiddle

Power Star
My hypothesis:

The N-word is pejorative, and dependant on skin colour.
If a white person uses the N-word, he intends to insult the black person because of his skin colour (and that of others).
Black people won't insult each other because of the objects's skin colour, since it's the same of the subject. Therefore, it automatically isn't an insult, since the N-word is dependant on skin colours.
 

SmartGuy

A complete wanker.
$‡¥₲Ú¥27 said:
Belloq said:
$‡¥₲Ú¥27 said:
Belloq said:
$ππ!∂∂∫£ said:
Actually it's true. I mean, black people use the N-word as a greeting, almost.
I don't really see what difference that makes.
Well, if a white guy goes up to a black guy and goes "Hey n*****!" he'd probably get stabbed.
Yes, but why should it be any different if a black guy says to another black guy "Hey ni****!"
It shouldn't be, but remember the rules of racism that I brought up way back there?
Who said that?
 

SmartGuy

A complete wanker.
$‡¥₲Ú¥27 said:
If you're not black that's racist.
I don't see how it's any less offensive for a black person to call another black person that than it is for a person of another ethnicity to call a black person that. :/
 

ShyGuy27

The Cardinal is dead -- long live The Cardinal!
Brie Loader said:
$‡¥₲Ú¥27 said:
If you're not black that's racist.
I would say that you(or anyone else) can throw any offensive terms for white people at me that you want, but none of them offend me and thus they are not offensive.
Well, one of the other rules of racism is that anyone can be racist against white people (and France I think).
 
Top