What would you do to improve Super Paper Mario?

SolarBlaze

Guardian of the Sol Emeralds.
Retired Wiki Staff
Just about everywhere I go, I always see a bunch of hate comments about this game. Some people complain about the fact that it "ruined" the Paper Mario series (because of the fact that it isn't a full-fledged RPG like the other two), or other things in general. So, my question is, if you could do anything to improve the game, then what would you do? I, myself, had no particular problem with the game. The only things I'd really do is make it so that the boss battles have more difficulty, and make it so that the other Pixls (besides Tippi) had more relevance to the storyline.

The battle system is annoying (at least to me) for anything that takes more than one hit to kill.

I would change the battle format and make the pixls disappear and have real characters.

More bosses (a Mr. L fight before the Brobot L-type, a Nastasia battle in the middle of 8-4)
Harder bosses (seriously, Bonechill and Super Dimentio were disappointing as hell)
Give the Pixls slightly bigger roles

Ah, yes, and one other thing: I'd also make it so that special abilities are obtained from each Pure Heart that's collected, just like like the Star Spirits and Crystal Stars from the last two games.

Also, if I remember correctly, the whole Overthere chapter seemed like they just stuck it in there at the last minute cause they couldn't come up with anything else. And is it just me, or was Bonechill like completely random?

You thought Bonechill was random? What about Francis? For the most part, he had no real relevance to the storyline. It's like they threw him in there purely for the sake of comic relief.

Most of the bosses were pretty out of place. At least Mimi had relevance to the plot.

SolarBlaze said:
You thought Bonechill was random? What about Francis? For the most part, he had no real relevance to the storyline. It's like they threw him in there purely for the sake of comic relief.
At least Francis was alluded to, and hell, you even went through his castle.

Bonechill is like, you open the door and... wait, what the hell is that thing and why is it there?

I did a playthrough of Super Paper Mario again (almost 14 hours, longer than my PM record but shorter than my TTYD record), and I beat Bonechill in less than 30 seconds.

Mimi in 8-2 was the hardest boss.

Francis and his castle were awesome beyond belief, but seriously, why is a fat, pixelated chameleon attracted to a human woman?

$‡¥₲Ú¥27 said:
SolarBlaze said:

Bonechill is like, you open the door and... wait, what the hell is that thing and why is it there?
When Mario and company first got to Chapter 7-4, didn't the Nimbis let them know from the very beginning that the Skellobits invaded The Overthere? Since there were tons of them throughout the chapter, I thought it made perfect sense for there to be a huge one that's fought as a boss, but maybe that's just me.
Waddle Dee said:
Francis and his castle were awesome beyond belief, but seriously, why is a fat, pixelated chameleon attracted to a human woman?
I think the same thing could be said about a certain spiked turtle-shelled... creature.

Even though skelobits invaded the Overthere, Bonechill is like an ice freak. The theme of the Overthere was clouds. Shouldn't you verse some cloud guy. Even a big version of a regular skelobit would be ok. Just not an icy snowy freezy type one.

SolarBlaze said:
$‡¥₲Ú¥27 said:
SolarBlaze said:

When Mario and company first got to Chapter 7-4, didn't the Nimbis let them know from the very beginning that the Skellobits invaded The Overthere? Since there were tons of them throughout the chapter, I thought it made perfect sense for there to be a huge one that's fought as a boss, but maybe that's just me.
Wasn't he like a refrigerator with a head?

Luigi+Daisyfan11 said:
Even though skelobits invaded the Overthere, Bonechill is like an ice freak. The theme of the Overthere was clouds. Shouldn't you verse some cloud guy. Even a big version of a regular skelobit would be ok. Just not an icy snowy freezy type one. It's similar to how Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door had a Clubba boss at the end of Chapter 3, just as the first game did.
Good point, but my guess is that they wanted to make a reference to the first Paper Mario, where an ice-themed boss was fought in the seventh chapter.
$‡¥₲Ú¥27 said:
SolarBlaze said:
$‡¥₲Ú¥27 said:
SolarBlaze said:

I thought he looked more like a cannon with a skeletal body.

SolarBlaze said:
$‡¥₲Ú¥27 said:
SolarBlaze said:
$‡¥₲Ú¥27 said:
SolarBlaze said:

I thought he looked more like a cannon with a skeletal body.
Was he? I don't remember much about it except that I had no idea why he was what he was.

Actually, I just realized that I got it backwards. The cannon was just attached to the bottom of him.

We should, like, totally make it the same as the first two games instead of trying to shake up the formula in an actually enjoyable way!111!11!!!1

Restless Armor said:
We should, like, totally make it the same as the first two games instead of trying to shake up the formula in an actually enjoyable and inferior way!111!11!!!1

Fix'd.

Waddle Dee said:
Restless Armor said:
We should, like, totally make it the same as the first two games instead of trying to shake up the formula in an actually enjoyable and inferior way!111!11!!!1

Fix'd.

inferiorlolwut

You can't compare the two; one is a platformer, while the other is an RPG.

By the way, if you think platformers are "inferior" to RPGs, you shouldn't be playing Mario.

That said, you know what I would do to improve the OTHER Paper Mario games? Carry over the comedic writing in this (way better than TTYD's and PM didn't have any humor period).

I'm not saying that ALL platformers are inferior to ALL RPGs, just that SPM is a little less enjoyable than the first two. A good game, just not AS good.

And PM had no humor? Kolorado and Bowser would like to have a word with you.

On a side note, this is my 500th post.

Waddle Dee said:
I'm not saying that ALL platformers are inferior to ALL RPGs, just that SPM is a little less enjoyable than the first two. A good game, just not AS good.

How so, may I ask? I've heard this tossed around a lot by multiple people, but I've never heard any real justification.

And PM had no humor? Kolorado and Bowser would like to have a word with you.

Kolorado appeared for, what, half of a chapter, and Bowser wasn't that funny.

SPM had the best story and best music, I'll give it that. But some parts were even more tedious than the Great Tree (coughovertherecough), and the only hard bosses (including the optional ones) were Mimi in 8-2 and King Croacus. Bonechill, for instance, was pathetic if you used Luigi's Spring Jump.

Back