Pokemon in review

Sir Pentious

I have a problem
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
InsaneBlathers
A while back I tried reviewing one episode of Adventure Time a day. I never continued that, but I thought, why not try it with Pokemon?
Little-known secret: there's over 1100 episodes of the Pokemon anime, so I'm gonna be at this for about 3 years!
Anyways, I'm gonna start with S1E1 later today.

Season 1 Episode 1
I Choose You! (Episode 1)
images

This is the very first episode of the pokemon anime and it sure is iconic. Who can forget the scene where Ash finally gets through to Pikachu and he blasts the birbs to smithereens? For those not in the know, the episode's plot is rather simple; Ash stays up until the crack of midnight, excited to get his first Pokemon. Unfortunately, Ash is a deep sleeper and has the misfortune of living in 1997, owning an old analogue clock instead of a less breakable iPhone 13. He wakes up late and rushes to Oak's lab to find that all the starters are gone, and is stuck with an uncooperative Pikachu. After failing (quite miserably, I may add) to catch a Pokemon, he manages to crack off a Spearow who chases him to hell and back. It's all well in the end, however, as Pikachu saves him and queue the uplifting scene with Ho-oh.
It defnitely isn't a bad episode by any means, and sets a good standard for the series and what's to come. I can't really praise it as a great episode though, just because it is the first and therefore quite rough around the edges.

Rating: 8 and a half Pikachus out of 10

Just a tip for reviewing: focus as much or more on the review than explaining what the episode is about.

Season 1 Episode 2
Pokemon Emergency! (Episode 2)
pokemon-emergency-header-988758.jpg

This one is the debut of Team Rocket and it shows. They don't really come across as quite right, and it clearly took a while for the dubbers to settle into their roles. The episode involves Ash taking Pikachu to the Pokemon center only to be attacked by Jessie and James of Team Rocket fame. There's much less to explain here so I'll just move on to the review.
It isn't bad, of course, but it isn't as iconic as the previous episode and it doesn't have enough merit for me to really place it higher than that. These early episodes have somewhat simple plots as the series is establishing its footing. Regardless, it was a fine watch.

Rating: 8 blasting off agains out of 10

Back