Feel old yet?

Sir Pentious

I have a problem
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
InsaneBlathers
Talk about things you remember that were popular years ago but have faded into obscurity now.

Hasn't quite happened for me yet but I can bet if I ever have kids they'll be asking me what a DVD is

I bet there's people alive who don't know what VHS tapes are. I'd say the same thing of vinyl records, but their vintage feeling has them constantly referenced even in modern media. Meanwhile, I rarely see VHS tapes referenced outside of the distinctive sound that they used to make.

I don't think DVDs are quite antiquated yet. While obviously there's Blu-Ray, DVD players are still fairly common.

If you really want something that was cool as heck when I was a kid but I doubt anyone today knows about it, there's this old kid's game called "Jack's Attic" that I used to play. The fact that someone posted gameplay footage of it in 2017 astonishes me because with how little it gets talked about in online spaces, I'd be forgiven for believing the game was just a fever dream I had one time.

I still use DVDs all the time (for instance, i bought one to watch teen titans go vs teen titans a few months ago and i am possibly planning on using dvds to access seasons 6 and 7 of my little pony: friendship is magic) whilst most people around me don't so that makes me feel old.
i guess maybe poptropica? I don't see that game get mentioned a lot but i played it as one of my very first video games aged like 5 and back then it was popular i'm pretty sure as i think my elder siblings introduced me to it. club penguin (which had a similar position in my childhood a little bit later) i remember getting a fair amount of attention when it shut down a few years ago so i wouldn't call that "faded into obscurity"

TV channels used to not just air marathons of the same goddamn program all day. They used to have varied programming schedules.

I blame streaming services and 'binge watching', that's ruined traditional TV. Don't even goddamn @ me, it's all about content consumption now. Shows will get forgotten in like two weeks or so.

Super Mario Galaxy will be 15 years old next year.

Brawl turns 14 next March (January if you live in Japan, June if you live in Europe)

The 3DS was released a decade ago.

The Smash Fighter Ballot was over half a decade ago, and we had to wait all that time to get to finally see who won.

Kingdom Hearts II was released 15 years ago.

Super Mario 3D World was released 8 years ago.

I'm 14 and this is deep.

the game boy colour came out 23 years ago

bruh............

WHAT
SHUT UP

I'm on the verge of tears how could you do this to me. I literally remember it being new. Oh my god.

Super Mario Galaxy will be 15 years old next year.

Brawl turns 14 next March (January if you live in Japan, June if you live in Europe)

The 3DS was released a decade ago.

The Smash Fighter Ballot was over half a decade ago, and we had to wait all that time to get to finally see who won.

Kingdom Hearts II was released 15 years ago.

Super Mario 3D World was released 8 years ago.

I'm 14 and this is deep.

It's the Kingdom Hearts II thing that got me. I cannot believe there are people who are alive right now who weren't around when the PS2 was released. People active on this forum who weren't. Who never experienced a time it was only the first PlayStation system. Kingdom Hearts II hasn't really faded into obscurity so to speak, since it's gotten rereleased like twice, but I'm sure there are people alive right now who have never played a genuine PlayStation system, the very first one, and that's insane to me.

Have some of you never heard of the first start-up noise in this? How about the second one?

oh well if this thread is about anything that makes me feel old not just stuff that has become forgotten/obscure as OP refers to, then:

• The Switch alongside Super Mario Odyssey are 4 years old, both feel very recent
  • Super Mario Maker 2 is 2 years old, I really remember when it came out
  • The Wii is 15 years old, console I grew up on
  • Super Paper Mario is turning 15 years old next year, alongside Super Mario Galaxy 1 and Poptropica, all games that were big parts of my childhood, both SPM and SMG1 could easily pass as modern games imo when run in 1080p + HD texture pack (which is my go to way to play as of my new gaming laptop)
  • TTYD is 17 years old, awesome game that has aged exceptionally well, also could pass as modern with 1080p + HD texture pack
  • Bowser's Inside Story is 12 years old and got remade 2 years ago, game I grew up on and has also aged pretty well
  • The DS is 17 years old; I've owned my DS Lite for about 11 years
  • The 3DS is 10 years old; I've owned mine, an old XL, for 2 years. Also even the "new" variants are 6 years old
  • The Wii U is 9 years old; I've owned mine for 2 years
  • Super Mario 3D World is 8 years old, feels very modern but to be fair it makes sense why it makes me feel old because I've only been playing it for 2 years, though even that is a reminder of how quickly time has flown lol
  • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is 7 years old (ditto 3D World; I've only been playing it as of the summer of this year)
  • Mario & Luigi: Dream Team is 8 years old (also only started playing this year)
  • Frozen 2 came out 2 years ago (Frozen 1 is 8 years old, but that doesn't make me feel old as it does feel like a long time ago)
  • Minecraft came out 12 years ago and was officially released a decade ago;
    • Java 1.9 / The Combat Update adding Elytras, end cities, and a new highly controversial battle system was released 5 years ago
    • Java 1.14 / The Village and Pillage Update was released 2 years ago
    • Java 1.16 / The Nether Update was released a year and a half ago
    • Java 1.17 / Caves and Cliffs part 1 was released 6 months ago
    • I've been playing minecraft for 6 years as of tomorrow
    • I've been playing java edition for about 3 and half years
  • The First X-Men movie came out 21 years ago (that movie alongside some of its successors were movies that I grew up on and I don't think they feel old at all when I revisit them)
    • Logan came out 4 years ago (I remember seeing ads for it during my time in NYC in early-mid 2017)
  • My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and Adventure Time both started 11 years ago (I only started being a fan of FiM last summer though)
  • Teen Titans Go! started 8 years ago (I haven't been a fan of it since I was 10 but it has been quite a while)
  • Unikitty! is 4 years old; I still remember it being new very clearly and I liked it a lot then
  • The first toy story movie is 26 years old, I grew up on this alongside 2 and 3

Man, I already felt kinda old back in 2011 when it has been 10 years since the GameCube was out, but now it's been 20 years. The Wii is also 15 years old now, N64 25 years old ,and the SNES 30 years old.

Those old cell phones that had those old games like snake. (I didn't own one, my parents did).

One thing I remember doing during the 00s is discovering an "on demand" service with cable companies and watching a whole bunch of stuff with episodes on rotation every week. (Tom and Jerry, Kirby anime, Sonic X, DBZ, G4 reviews, and other shows that happened to be offered). Later, we would get a different cable service that charged extra for on demand services, so I was only able to use it over someone else's house. I'm pretty sure that these on demand services still exist, but with all the streaming apps now, it's basically served it's purpose. And I don't even have cable TV anymore anyways.

YouTube at a time where depending on the show, most if not all, of the episodes were all available on the site. Well, that still is a thing now, but usually the episodes have to be manipulated in some way to bypass detection, especially if the company is really stingy about their content.

Had some VHS tapes, but mainly had DVDs. I still don't even have a Blu Ray player to this day.

Who else remembers having to pay per text message?
I REMEMBER THIS. I also remember when flip phones were cutting edge technology. You young whipper-snappers and your unlimited texting plans that you only need to pay monthly for... *shakes fist*

Those old cell phones that had those old games like snake. (I didn't own one, my parents did).
I bet there's people who genuinely think Snake came from Google first because that's been their only exposure to the game. Wild to me.

Who here remembers AOL's dial-up?

This has definitely faded to obscurity now since internet connections have gotten much better. Probably plenty of people on this forum who have never heard this dial-up tone. There's also probably plenty of people here who wouldn't believe me if I said back in the day, 1 GB was a lot of space. Heck, at one point 1 TB was considered insanely huge, but nowadays most computers that aren't completely cheap budget types come with 1 TB space by default.

I bet in a few years' time this comment will age like spoiled milk and 1 TB will be considered pathetically low space.

Last edited:
Who here remembers AOL's dial-up?
My family was still paying for AOL until like 2013. Which is honestly insane thinking about it, especially because we'd officially upgraded to cable internet in 2011. (And unofficially, I'd been leeching off the neighbor's unsecured WiFi since like 2008)

Also re: storage space. I remember buying a flash drive for computer class in 6th grade. It cost me like $24 and had a whopping 256 megabytes of space.

Nowadays I can literally buy a 128 GB flash drive from Walmart for under $20. (And don't even get me started on microSD cards, all that space on something the size of my damn fingernail)

Back