Your favorite Mario art style

Pink Cat

Not always pink, not always a cat
Pronouns
Kie/Mer
Simply put, what look of Mario characters do you like the most?
This might not be the most popular but I love the art style of Game and Wario, yeah, it's just Rhythm Heaven but Rhythm Heaven is super charming

Hand-crafted Yoshi. Everything just looks very cute and cuddly, and gets my creative juices flowing. Other favorites would be 3D Main Series, Paper Mario, and Mario and Luigi.

I just love the 2D art done for Mario by Shigehisa Nakaue, I know it's not that different from the 'classic' 2D artwork from the 80s and 90s, but it's honestly so refreshing to see it because so many Mario things nowadays just use 3D renders of the characters for promotional stuff. Would love if Nintendo would make a new Mario sidescroller using Nakaue's art as the basis for the graphics.

yea just the 2d vector art i think its just really nice
NSMBUDX-TabletopMode.png

im kind of lumping these together but The Gacha, that employee booklet thing and other miscellaneous artwork also has some really nice sketchy looking art
773px-MKT_Paris_Tour_launch_artwork.png
Nintendo_JP_Twitter_million_followers.jpg
Csrartwork.jpg
800px-Nintendo_recruitment_book_Peach_Toad.jpg

the line calendars also had a lot of really nice artstyles im still so upset were not gonna get more of these ever again
i also really like odyssey styled renders YES give me the ridiculously detailed hair

TTYD's characters look amazing imo

Is Akira Noguchi the one who does the artwork for the Mario & Luigi games. That's what is said on a TV Tropes page

My favorite art style is just the standard 3D one, especially when Nintendo decides to input a bit of realism to it (like Mario's denim, Mario's hair from Super Mario Odyssey). I have nostalgia for the GCN/Wii era renders, and I like the attitude Mario has in the N64 era renders.

But I also am drawn to this art style from the manga. I'm not sure why I like how Mario's shown here. I think the rim of the hat that narrows his eyes as an effect makes him look like a likeable asshole.

Mario_Party_4koma_-_Mario_Gets_Revenge_on_Hosts.jpg

Gotta be the Paper Mario artstyle from TTYD and SPM. It's hard to put into words why I feel they work so much better than the later incarnations, but I feel they do. I feel like the posing fits the style better and I vastly prefer the 2D gradient shading and black outline over flatter, duller colors & material overlay.

PMTTYD_Mario_Thinking_Artwork.png
Bowser_Artwork_-_Super_Paper_Mario.png
Lord_Crump_TTYD_artwork.png
DimentioSuperPaperMario.png

I love this style so much I have made fan-art imitating it countless times.

super_paper_mario___pixl_thoreau.png
the_mysterious_mr__l.png
paper_mario_3ds___mander.png

Back