Lilliandil inspiration for Rosalina?

Yoshi! Yoshi!

Melon Inspector
Pronouns
He/him
8DE9B03C-720E-4D0F-B6D1-1188F27029FE.jpeg

I have wondered if Lilliandil, also known as Ramandu's Daughter in C.S. Lewis' The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader was the inspiration for Rosalina?

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader was published in 1952.

Lilliandil is part star and is described as having long yellow blond hair and wearing a single piece blue gown. This is exsctly Rosalina's design from Super Mario Galaxy.

FAAEECD5-B5F4-4F77-A98B-7C01E6EB5908.jpeg

Art by Luyumi, Deviantart

Last edited:
I wouldn't say that it's a direct inspiration for the design however I think they share the same general trope of being white-haired, mystical women wearing cool-colored dresses. I mean, Rosalina commonly gets mistaken for Elsa.

That could be possible, but Nintendo was founded in 1889, and they started to make games as late as the 1980's.
There is no way they could have remembered that.

i know im getting annoying about this but can you please source fanart consistently. this rosalina fanart pic has absolutely no source. ive seen you actually sourcing one fanart, which is great, but.......
abyway i dont think thats an inspiration at all

That could be possible, but Nintendo was founded in 1889, and they started to make games as late as the 1980's.
There is no way they could have remembered that.

Well the Narnia books are much beloved, it is reasonable someone at Nintendo had read them. I mean Ramandu's Daughter does stand out as being part star, her father a full star, and the Mario games have always had stars as focus for wishes, collecting and etc.

I wouldn't say that it's a direct inspiration for the design however I think they share the same general trope of being white-haired, mystical women wearing cool-colored dresses. I mean, Rosalina commonly gets mistaken for Elsa.

Yes, but Elsa came after and what makes Ramandu's Daughter and Rosalina have more in common is stars. One is part star, the other is caretaker of the cosmos.

Last edited:
i know im getting annoying about this but can you please source fanart consistently. this rosalina fanart pic has absolutely no source. ive seen you actually sourcing one fanart, which is great, but.......
abyway i dont think thats an inspiration at all

Ammended, I added the source. :)

Why do you think its not an inspiration at all?

My case for Lilliandel being a inspiration for Rosalina:

Lilliandl | Rosalina

Half Star | Caretaker of Stars

Never Knew Mother | Lost Her Mother

Wears Larimar Blue Dress | Wears a Larimar Blue Dress

Intrumental to Caspian's (Hero) Quest, Instrumental to Mario's (Hero) Quest

Both have mystical star powers

Both Have Long Blond Hair

Lilliandel 1952 | Rosalina 2007
Lilliandel predates Rosalina for many decades.

The Chronicles of Narnia books are famous, many people of all nations have read them, and the Voyage of Dawn Treader that features Lilliandel had been made into a series (1989) and film (2010).

Back