Waluigi Time

The Slapstick
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Retired Wiki Staff
Pronouns
He/him
Unfortunately, Flash is very close to the end of support, which means most browsers will no longer even allow it to be used. While most sites have switched to newer programs, there may still be older Flash content such as games you'll still want to view. Luckily, I have a method to continue using Flash content outside of your browser - and the best part, no sketchy downloads! This comes straight from Adobe's official website.

To get it, go to this link to Adobe's website and scroll down until you see "Download the Flash Player projector content debugger" for your operating system. Click the link and download the file. That's it, now you have Flash!

Now if you don't have it already, you'll want to find the Flash content you want to download. Flash content typically comes in .swf format, so that's what you'll be looking for. To actually use it, you'll probably need to right click on the .swf file, select "Choose another app" or a similar equivalent under "Open with", and then navigate to wherever you put the Flash player. I recommend setting it up so that .swf files are always opened in it automatically.

Are there any dedicated archival sites that can help preserve Flash content? That would be immensely helpful down the line for research in, say, MarioWiki.

Best bet is probably Wayback Machine, even if the swf isn't viewable you can still download it by looking at the media files on the page. There's also a project dedicated to archiving flash games specifically, but I don't remember the name.

Back