Who's the brown Mario in FC Golf Japan Course supposed to be?

SiFi

Just a flight attendant guy.
MarioWiki
SiFi

All really know about this game is what I'm gathering from this untranslated playthrough. Luigi appears on the menu with SMB1 colors at 1:10, and at 17:40 a mode where two players (one of them might be CPU?) take turns is demonstrated. You can see from 18:00 onwards that the second player in this mode is a version of Mario in brown and black clothes. Is he supposed to be Luigi, or someone completely new?

I've actually seriously wondered if he's Foreman Spike, since the original Wrecking Crew similarly depicts him as Mario in brown clothes, with Mario's brown costume in Smash 64 being based on that according to the Japanese website, even though it's more black than brown in subsequent games. Also, he does also happen to appear in Mobile Golf for GBC.

All really know about this game is what I'm gathering from this untranslated playthrough. Luigi appears on the menu with SMB1 colors at 1:10, and at 17:40 a mode where two players (one of them might be CPU?) take turns is demonstrated. You can see from 18:00 onwards that the second player in this mode is a version of Mario in brown and black clothes. Is he supposed to be Luigi, or someone completely new?

I've actually seriously wondered if he's Foreman Spike, since the original Wrecking Crew similarly depicts him as Mario in brown clothes, with Mario's brown costume in Smash 64 being based on that according to the Japanese website, even though it's more black than brown in subsequent games. Also, he does also happen to appear in Mobile Golf for GBC.
i think it is foreman spike

Turns out if I'd paid closer attention to the video I would have seen his name. Because if Mario wins a round it says "MARIO'S HOLE" (yes hello everyone with an immature sense of humor) in the top left, and if the other one wins a round it says "COMP1'S HOLE".

Also, each of the FDS golf games had a "prize cart" edition and in the one for US course, you play as a woman who's just as mysterious. Could there be any connection between her and the woman from Vs. Stroke & Match Golf Ladies Version?

EDIT: I ended up finding a ROM for myself and now I'm left with even more questions. There was no sign of that woman, only Mario and his many palette swaps. I've left a Google translated comment on the video so we'll see if that goes anywhere. On the bright side, it's good to see Alfredo and Yellow Mario again.

Family Computer Golf Special Course (Japan) (Prize Card).2020-10-20 11.47.10.png
Family Computer Golf Special Course (Japan) (Prize Card).2020-10-20 11.47.30.png

Last edited:
The unnamed woman appears in regular Golf US Course but would only be unlocked after submitting your disk to the Disk Fax machine, probably as a way to tell if your scores have been submitted or not. I had no idea she was also in the golden prize disk.

I got a reply...
4回のスコア(TOTAL SCORE)が320以下の状態で 「A」ボタンを押しながら「START」ボタンでゲーム開始です。 スコアは「NAME」画面から「SELECT」ボタンで確認できます。 (通常版のゴルフUSコースだとディスクファクスへの応募(今は不可)も必要です。)
...and this is what Google Translate has to make of it.
When the score of 4 times (TOTAL SCORE) is 320 or less
Hold down the "A" button and press the "START" button to start the game.
You can check the score by clicking the "SELECT" button on the "NAME" screen.
(For the regular version of the Golf US course, you also need to apply for disc fax (currently not possible).)
So I thought, "oh no! I'm not a good enough player to get anywhere near that!" and I've been trying to change the scores manually with brute force and a hex editor. I'm in way over my head though, so I'm waiting to see if anyone on another forum can help me.

Why he's the third Mario Brother of course! Sergio! A brother so great that only one game can feature his greatness as any other game would blow up otherwise, because they can't comprehend his sheer greatness.

Back