Can someone help me with information about Super Mario Land 2?

SpriteBro

Koopa Troopa
It's not hard to find the sprites but I want to know their size since I'm making a Game Boy platformer with similar dimensions, so knowing Mario and the basic enemies' information would help a lot. Thanks, sorry if this is the wrong area for the question.

mario it seems would fit in 16x32 but since the gameboy has a tiny screen, maybe tinier sprites would be better so theres less screen crunch?
also would love to see pics of the game or something 👁

Going by a 16 by 16 pixel tile grid is usually a pretty safe and time-tested bet for video game sprite work. It is often a good idea to have your sprite dimensions be somewhere around a multiple of 16 (or like, 8 if you're going smaller).

Hey. Check out the wiki's gallery page- https://www.mariowiki.com/Gallery:Super_Mario_Land_2:_6_Golden_Coins#Sprites_and_models

There are many sprites there. To check the dimensions, click on a image to see its info. For instance, Super Mario is 15x27 when tightly cropped.

Thanks for the info! When I follow the first link you provided it shows a list of all of the characters, but when I click one I don't seem to be sent to the same kind of page as in your second link where the "tightly cropped" data is. Sorry for the trouble, but how do I navigate to that section from the link?

EDIT: Actually, I might just be confused. There were a bunch of versions of Super Mario but a lot of others only have one (some seem to have multiple identical entries for some reason, idk).

mario it seems would fit in 16x32 but since the gameboy has a tiny screen, maybe tinier sprites would be better so theres less screen crunch?
also would love to see pics of the game or something 👁

It's gonna be a bit before there's anything to show, but I'd love to share it later!

Going by a 16 by 16 pixel tile grid is usually a pretty safe and time-tested bet for video game sprite work. It is often a good idea to have your sprite dimensions be somewhere around a multiple of 16 (or like, 8 if you're going smaller).

I'm just starting out so I don't know any of this stuff, thanks, I'll keep it in mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: zel
Thanks for the info! When I follow the first link you provided it shows a list of all of the characters, but when I click one I don't seem to be sent to the same kind of page as in your second link where the "tightly cropped" data is. Sorry for the trouble, but how do I navigate to that section from the link?
Whenever you click on an image itself (not the character's article link), you'll be shown the file description page.

Back