Just asking about Mario Kart 8 sound files

SuperRaffinaUltimate

Too many things to celebrate
Pronouns
He/him
Some of abbreviations in Mario Kart 8's sound files (presumably from the Wii U version, not Switch) are pretty... weird. Do you have any ideas what does them stand for?

The abbreviations in question are:
  • GV
  • CHOV
  • DHOV
  • SHOV
  • CMBL/W (but I'm pretty sure the last letter stands for "Lava"/"Water")
  • STAF

1587951623375.png

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has a much better file name system that pinpoints what each of those mean,

but in Mario Kart 8, they're inconsistent as hell, this is what it looks like

1587951695446.png

• GV: Sounds like the "good victory" after listening to them, it's called "good" when your character is second-...bad positions.
  • CHOV: Charge Hover, this is when your character spins in anti-gravity.
  • DHOV: Dash Hover, this is when your characters boost after spinning.
  • SHOV: Start Hover, this is when your characters enter anti-gravity
  • CMBL/W (but I'm pretty sure the last letter stands for "Lava"/"Water"): Guess it's "Comeback". Your characters make noise when they get picked up by Lakitu after falling into lava and fire.
  • STAF: Looks like "Start Fail", your characters yell when they get a bad start.
Even then, that's not an indicator, since I heard GV voice clips being used as tricks. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe actually fixed organization.

Last edited:
Okay, here's the another one, do you think the name "Diana" in Daisy and Baby Daisy's files stands for Deanna Mustard? Because in Japanese they sounds alike so it can be a kind of typo.

And think about it, Wii has a better file names like 8 Deluxe, 7 is just numbers, Double Dash is just character name and number. Annoying but interesting.

Okay, here's the another one, do you think the name "Diana" in Daisy and Baby Daisy's files stands for Deanna Mustard? Because in Japanese they sounds alike so it can be a kind of typo.

I'm going to guess, yeah it is.

And think about it, Wii has a better file names like 8 Deluxe, 7 is just numbers, Double Dash is just character name and number. Annoying but interesting.

8 Deluxe's naming scheme is probably lifted from Wii's naming scheme, as it also uses "ACT" to describe tricks, "STRM" to describe slipstreaming, "OVRTK" for passing people, "STR_FAIL" to describe a busted engine, and more. Modding 8U's voices was a nightmare and I had to rely on reference videos to get the right voice clip playing.

Speaking of inconsistent file names, Smash Ultimate has it sometimes, most notably with specials, Final Smashes, and battle entrances. For example, characters like Mario and Captain Falcon have these cilps grouped together, while others like Fox have separated. For taunts, characters like Chrom or Zelda have which voice clip is used for which direction while most others are not. Wii Fit Trainer has different file names for taking damage.

Last edited:
Back