I'm finally playing it!

Grape

The baddest of the bunch, the villain of the vine!
Pronouns
She/her
MarioWiki
MiracleDinner
Hello,

It's 15:22 and in a few minutes I'll be jumping into my first ever playthrough of Paper Mario 1!

SPM and TTYD are my top two favourite games of all time (SPM takes the gold trophy but I love them both very deeply) so I'm extremely hyped, I anticipate this more than any game ever.

I want to start at half past so I'll grab some snacks but I'll be back once I've done playing for today (probably 2 hours) and tell you how it goes.

Wish me luck!
MiracleDinner

It's the best in the series if you ask me. Enjoy.

I'm back and not disappointing. Best 2 hours I've had for weeks!

Now it's obviously a downgrade from TTYD (order I played Mario RPGs = SPM --> BIS --> --> --> TTYD --> SSS --> PM64 --> probably PIT next) in terms of graphics and gameplay but I still enjoy playing it and it's composed in a very artistic manner. I love the music. I'm not yet impressed enough to say I like the OST as much as SPM's or TTYD's but it's still very good.

I was very entertained by the opening. I still feel I would have preferred an original main villain but Kammy is good and they certainly did a great job with Bowser imo. He's really awesome once he becomes all powerful but he still has his funny personality. The intro when you boot up the game ties nicely in with what happens when you boot up your file, unlike in SPM where they just seem to have cut and pasted the wedding making it very confusing (as much as I love that game I have gradually come to appreciate its flaws even in the story department). Peach's Castle being lifted into the sky was good as well.

Shooting Star summit is very artistic with its design and music, and the Star Spirits are sending their messages felt very powerful.

I got up to the screen with the Chapter 1 intro and then quit. The Wii U does have suspension points and save states, but I think I'll prefer just to use Save Blocks like I'm used to in SPM and TTYD unless I really need to S&Q quickly (the same goes for SSS which I also own only on Wii U.)

So far I'm liking it more than BIS but less than TTYD, placing it as my new third favourite video game after SPM and TTYD respectively.

I had a bit of a panic because my Wii U wouldn't display anything at first and after that I had a hard time connecting the GamePad, but a few reboots resolved that in the end. However I find that my Wii U kept making buzzing sounds even when I muted my TV. It seemed to be some kind of substitute for the N64 rumble pack, but I don't like it and am worried it might endanger my console. Does anyone know how to turn this off?

Paper Mario is my favorite of the Paper Mario games, and I'm glad you're playing it. I love it when people get to experience my favorite media. It gives me something to bond with them over, and I feel less alone. So, I appreciate that you're playing such a great game.

Bowser's a fitting main antagonist for the start of the series! I always loved PM64 for giving a slice of life take on the societies and personalities of Super Mario Bros/World regions.

I think the buzzing may have been from my GamePad rather than from the console itself, which does have an inbuilt motor. Not sure how I'd disable that, though, without having to move the thing two rooms next door.

I'm getting the impression that the game might be a bit short. It took me only like two hours to beat Chapter 1 and I'm 16. At 15 I beat Hooktail Castle in about 4 hours.

Last edited:
Back