About Last Nights Fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't banned, my account was outright deleted.

SUDDENLY...!

...I got nothin'.

I do have to say though, for all its craziness during the event, the chat was very helpful, especially when we were tracking the IPs of the users.

Neu said:
SUDDENLY...!

...I got nothin'.

I do have to say though, for all its craziness during the event, the chat was very helpful, especially when we were tracking the IPs of the users.
It was fun to have a serious chat in a while.

So it was the forums that were attacked, not chat or the wiki? I'm sad I missed this... I would have been able to do something.

...Hopefully.

Bloc Partier said:
So it was the forums that were attacked, not chat or the wiki? I'm sad I missed this... I would have been able to do something.

...Hopefully.
Userpedia was also attacked, and chat also was.
The Wiki wasn't, maybe because Rudnicki didn't cared.

Bloc Partier said:

...Hopefully.
Actually the chatroom WAS attacked too, two days ago. Using the compromised account, Rud proceeded to op himself and kick anyone he could from the chat.

Xpike said:
Bloc Partier said:

...Hopefully.
Userpedia was also attacked, and chat also was.
The Wiki wasn't, maybe because Rudnicki didn't cared.

The wiki was attacked too, but Stooben regained control of his account the very minute it was hacked, so we lucked out.

we should be ready for another attack, either here, the chat the wiki or UP

Fiddle Faddle said:
Stooben Rooben said:
Glum Reaper said:
Damn... If I hadn't spent so much time running IP checks, we might've been able to avoid this...
I would have done the same thing. It's no one's fault.

...it's obviously Rudnicki's fault.
True. :P

Tucayo said:
And how, exactly, does one prepare for rampaging mindless killers?

Neu said:
Jesus Freak said:
Tucayo said:
And how, exactly, does one prepare for rampaging mindless killers?
With rampaging, mindless self-defence.

:)

xD

But, seriously. I wasn't around when it happened, but I don't want it to happen again. What should we do?

The best thing you can do is not worry about it.

[Enter that WE'LL PROTECT AMERICA image here]

Kaiser Samuel Augustus Ward IV said:
Rosalina Spalko said:
Funny, I got banned for vulgarity :/
Wait, you're still here? I thought you disappeared a while ago.

I lurk here off and on; lately nothing on the Nintendo system sans pokemon has been interesting me, but ohwell. *shrugs*

I'd like to know how Rudnicki went about doing this, the passwords should have been hashed and encrypted in the MySQL database. This is what Saudy threatened to do not a while ago.

Brie Loader said:
Yoshario said:
I'd like to know how Rudnicki went about doing this, the passwords should have been hashed and encrypted in the MySQL database. This is what Saudy threatened to do not a while ago.
When did Saudy threaten to do that? :|
I believe around last summer. Look for it under Saudy's contribs if u want.

I wish I was an active poster here, I love forum drama.

There are a few exploits for SMF 1.1.4 that I can think of off the top of my head that involve an SQL injection which allows you to escalate your forum privileges and wreak havoc. Is that what happened?

I don't think they could have stolen passwords, since 1.1.x uses SHA1 with the member name as a salt, so I'd say it's pretty secure.

Upgrade to 1.1.8 taimz?

Ell Oh Ell said:

There are a few exploits for SMF 1.1.4 that I can think of off the top of my head that involve an SQL injection which allows you to escalate your forum privileges and wreak havoc. Is that what happened?

I don't think they could have stolen passwords, since 1.1.x uses SHA1 with the member name as a salt, so I'd say it's pretty secure.

Upgrade to 1.1.8 taimz?
Ah, neat, someone who knows about this stuff! Yeah, while trying to reclaim Stoob's account for him I discovered a few interesting ways for accounts to be compromised, and that in general 1.1.8 was virtually, if not completely, uncrackable. Right now would be a pretty vulnerable time to upgrade the forum though, with the possibility that whoever the culprit knows (and I think I might...) might try again. But yes, a forum upgrade should definitely be on the to-do list for helping secure the site.

Ell Oh Ell said:

Upgrade to 1.1.8 taimz?
Most likely the culprit hacked Stooby's gmail, and then got the password from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back