Japanese poll site Goo Rankings chose their most iconic characters

winstein

Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
Awards Committee
MarioWiki
winstein
In Japan, there was a poll recently that asked a sample group of Japanese on which characters represent Japan. The results are here, but the list that I am using is from this link. If you want to see what the characters' designs look like, please click on the link here: https://ranking.goo.ne.jp/column/4913/ranking/50955/

Without further ado, here's the list. There are a few shared ranks, but the List function in BBCode doesn't seem to have the ability to use identical numbers so I will just denote ties in square brackets:
  • Doraemon
  • Pikachu
  • Mario
  • Anpanman
  • Hello Kitty
  • Son Goku (Dragon Ball)
  • Totoro
  • Gundam
  • Godzilla
  • Sailor Moon [tied with below]
  • Ultraman [tied with above]
  • Lupin the Third
  • Tetsuwan Atom (Astro Boy)
  • Monkey D Luffy (ONE PIECE)
  • Edogawa Conan (Detective Conan)
  • Hatsune Miku
  • Licca-chan (Japan’s Barbie)
  • Sasae san
  • Momoko Sakura (Chibi Maruko chan)
  • Kitaro (Gegege no Kitaro)
  • Kumamon
  • Funasshi
  • Oozora Tsubasa (Captain Tsubasa)
  • Rilakkuma
  • Rei Ayanami (Neon Genesis Evangelion)
  • Hajime Kindaichi
  • Gachapin [tied with below]
  • Peko chan (Fujiya) [tied with above]
  • Arare Norimaki (Dr Slump) [tied with below]
  • Link (Legend of Zelda series) [tied with above]
  • My Melody [tied with below]
  • Ram (Urusei Yatsura) [tied with above]
  • Gudetama
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Mukku
  • Tony Tony Chopper (ONE PIECE)
  • Jibanyan (Yokai Watch)
  • Cutie Honey [tied with below]
  • Peanuts Kyoro chan [tied with above]
  • Monchhichi

This list contains characters we are familiar with and some that aren't familiar at all. After all, there are a number of characters that never made its presence overseas, making them unknown. However, I am sure you can at least recognise a few faces, especially Mario and Pikachu (who doesn't?).

I think it might come as a shock or surprise to many, but Doraemon is indeed #1, and it's mostly agreed on that Doraemon is indeed worthy of being considered a representative of Japan. That series is influential in Japan after all, and its premise is wonderful: Doraemon has a lot of creative gadgets with various purposes, such as the Bamboo-copter which can be attached to give flight to the user, and the What-If Phone Booth to transport the people inside to an alternate universe. Even Doraemon's time machine is rather unique, which is basically a mat with gadgetry sitting on it.

However, I do have to commend Mario and Pikachu from making it to the list, and it shows that Nintendo's mascot characters are pretty representative to their home country, Mario to a lesser extent compared to Pikachu. Still, of the top 11 characters Mario is decidedly less Japanese since the universe Mario inhabits has a less Eastern touch compared to the rest (not that there aren't any, mind you).

Further down the list, some might wonder why Luffy didn't make the Top 10. After all, it has been a force so it must've been more well-known. Oddly enough, One Piece has two representatives, so it's not a stretch to say that the voters know how popular One Piece is, but are split between the two characters. Assuming that different voters picked different characters, it would have taken the #10 spot, pushing Ultraman and Sailor Moon off.

Then, there are some peculiar picks here and there, including Link since his games are usually based on European medieval and seem to touch on Japanese culture the least compared to everyone else (maybe One Piece also?). There's also Sonic, which is pretty interesting only because Sonic's not as well-known in Japan compared to America, and there's the fact that Sonic has more American design sensibilities in mind. If I am not wrong, Jibanyan is the youngest character in the list, and it's amazing that in just a few years it made it on the list, because at one point Jibanyan overtook Doraemon and Pikachu as the face of Corocoro.

(Fun fact: Peanuts Kyoro chan is the inspiration for Pyoro, the bird character that inspired Wario to make his own games company called WarioWare)

Thank you for reading.

Back