MattMVS7 said:
Junko Enoshima said:
MattMVS7 said:
Junko Enoshima said:
MattMVS7 said:
Junko Enoshima said:
MattMVS7 said:
How do you know for a fact that my tunes are not good ones

Because not only myself, but everyone in this thread says they are not good.

Yes, I understand this. But I asked for the facts that tell me why they aren't good tunes. In other words, present me the technical information that explains why. As long as I do not have this information, then how am I supposed to learn and improve? If people are telling me that my tunes are not good and they have no explanation as to why other than that they just don't think they are good, then I cannot learn and improve.

They sound like collections of random notes, with no musical flow, and they do not fit at all the themes you have presented for them. They sound as if a cat walked across a keyboard, as opposed to a properly composed song.

Alright, but why do they sound like that? I need technical information that explains why.

Why do they sound like random notes? Because they are.

End of story.

Then you have no technical information that I asked for to explain this. How am I supposed to learn and improve if all I have to go by is what other people say?

There is no technical information for me to give you on the matter.

Here, check out my story:
asdfaazihjndohpq67afzazpdchoicdfAp0dhjapz0djfmcazf-p[fjoipzacdjmndpozfjncopvijzapckzpojacmvpzoikjlbghnrta08hhdf0ahjz0(

Now please give me technical information on why you did or did not enjoy my story.

Junko Enoshima said:
MattMVS7 said:
Junko Enoshima said:
MattMVS7 said:
Junko Enoshima said:
MattMVS7 said:
Junko Enoshima said:
MattMVS7 said:

Yes, I understand this. But I asked for the facts that tell me why they aren't good tunes. In other words, present me the technical information that explains why. As long as I do not have this information, then how am I supposed to learn and improve? If people are telling me that my tunes are not good and they have no explanation as to why other than that they just don't think they are good, then I cannot learn and improve.

They sound like collections of random notes, with no musical flow, and they do not fit at all the themes you have presented for them. They sound as if a cat walked across a keyboard, as opposed to a properly composed song.

Alright, but why do they sound like that? I need technical information that explains why.

End of story.

Then you have no technical information that I asked for to explain this. How am I supposed to learn and improve if all I have to go by is what other people say?

asdfaazihjndohpq67afzazpdchoicdfAp0dhjapz0djfmcazf-p[fjoipzacdjmndpozfjncopvijzapckzpojacmvpzoikjlbghnrta08hhdf0ahjz0(

Now please give me technical information on why you did or did not enjoy my story.

If this is what my themes really amount to, then I am unable to see that. These themes, to me, are catchy, amazing themes. There has to be some technical information out there that explains why my themes are just random notes as you and others say they are.

MattMVS7 said:
Junko Enoshima said:
MattMVS7 said:
Junko Enoshima said:
MattMVS7 said:
Junko Enoshima said:
MattMVS7 said:
Junko Enoshima said:
MattMVS7 said:

End of story.

If this is what my themes really amount to, then I am unable to see that. These themes, to me, are catchy, amazing themes. There has to be some technical information out there that explains why my themes are just random notes as you and others say they are.

That is what everyone hears your themes as except you.

So you mean that you want people to understand the program you are using, and correct your mistakes?

Junko Enoshima said:
MattMVS7 said:
Junko Enoshima said:
MattMVS7 said:
Junko Enoshima said:
MattMVS7 said:
Junko Enoshima said:
MattMVS7 said:
Junko Enoshima said:
MattMVS7 said:

End of story.

Then I have no understanding of this at all. Isn't how we learn and improve as human beings is by having technical information presented to us? From this, I can gather that there really must be some technical information out there that explains why my themes appear as random notes to listeners. It would be information that you would have to be withholding either due to ignorance of this information on your part or for some other reason unknown to me.

MattMVS7 said:
Junko Enoshima said:
MattMVS7 said:
Junko Enoshima said:
MattMVS7 said:
Junko Enoshima said:
MattMVS7 said:
Junko Enoshima said:
MattMVS7 said:
Junko Enoshima said:
MattMVS7 said:

End of story.

Then I have no understanding of this at all. Isn't how we learn and improve as human beings is by having technical information presented to us? From this, I can gather that there really must be some technical information out there that explains why my themes appear as random notes to listeners. It would be information that you would have to be withholding either due to ignorance of this information on your part or for some other reason unknown to me.

Randomness is the lack of pattern or predictability in events. A random sequence of events, symbols or steps has no order and does not follow an intelligible pattern or combination. Individual random events are by definition unpredictable, but in many cases the frequency of different outcomes over a large number of events (or "trials") is predictable. For example, when throwing two dice, the outcome of any particular roll is unpredictable, but a sum of 7 will occur twice as often as 4. In this view, randomness is a measure of uncertainty of an outcome, rather than haphazardness, and applies to concepts of chance, probability, and information entropy.

The fields of mathematics, probability, and statistics use formal definitions of randomness. In statistics, a random variable is an assignment of a numerical value to each possible outcome of an event space. This association facilitates the identification and the calculation of probabilities of the events. Random variables can appear in random sequences. A random process is a sequence of random variables whose outcomes do not follow a deterministic pattern, but follow an evolution described by probability distributions. These and other constructs are extremely useful in probability theory and the various applications of randomness.

Randomness is most often used in statistics to signify well-defined statistical properties. Monte Carlo methods, which rely on random input (such as from random number generators or pseudorandom number generators), are important techniques in science, as, for instance, in computational science By analogy, quasi-Monte Carlo methods use quasirandom number generators.

Random selection, when narrowly associated with a simple random sample, is a method of selecting items (often called units) from a population where the probability of choosing a specific item is the proportion of those items in the population. For example, with a bowl containing just 10 red marbles and 90 blue marbles, a random selection mechanism would choose a red marble with probability 1/10. Note that a random selection mechanism that selected 10 marbles from this bowl would not necessarily result in 1 red and 9 blue. In situations where a population consists of items that are distinguishable, a random selection mechanism requires equal probabilities for any item to be chosen. That is, if the selection process is such that each member of a population, of say research subjects, has the same probability of being chosen then we can say the selection process is random.

Junko Enoshima said:
MattMVS7 said:
Junko Enoshima said:
MattMVS7 said:
Junko Enoshima said:
MattMVS7 said:
Junko Enoshima said:
MattMVS7 said:
Junko Enoshima said:
MattMVS7 said:
Junko Enoshima said:
MattMVS7 said:

End of story.

Randomness is the lack of pattern or predictability in events. A random sequence of events, symbols or steps has no order and does not follow an intelligible pattern or combination. Individual random events are by definition unpredictable, but in many cases the frequency of different outcomes over a large number of events (or "trials") is predictable. For example, when throwing two dice, the outcome of any particular roll is unpredictable, but a sum of 7 will occur twice as often as 4. In this view, randomness is a measure of uncertainty of an outcome, rather than haphazardness, and applies to concepts of chance, probability, and information entropy.

The fields of mathematics, probability, and statistics use formal definitions of randomness. In statistics, a random variable is an assignment of a numerical value to each possible outcome of an event space. This association facilitates the identification and the calculation of probabilities of the events. Random variables can appear in random sequences. A random process is a sequence of random variables whose outcomes do not follow a deterministic pattern, but follow an evolution described by probability distributions. These and other constructs are extremely useful in probability theory and the various applications of randomness.

Randomness is most often used in statistics to signify well-defined statistical properties. Monte Carlo methods, which rely on random input (such as from random number generators or pseudorandom number generators), are important techniques in science, as, for instance, in computational science By analogy, quasi-Monte Carlo methods use quasirandom number generators.

Random selection, when narrowly associated with a simple random sample, is a method of selecting items (often called units) from a population where the probability of choosing a specific item is the proportion of those items in the population. For example, with a bowl containing just 10 red marbles and 90 blue marbles, a random selection mechanism would choose a red marble with probability 1/10. Note that a random selection mechanism that selected 10 marbles from this bowl would not necessarily result in 1 red and 9 blue. In situations where a population consists of items that are distinguishable, a random selection mechanism requires equal probabilities for any item to be chosen. That is, if the selection process is such that each member of a population, of say research subjects, has the same probability of being chosen then we can say the selection process is random.

Here is what I will do. I will present an image of one of my themes which would be that gentle, loving theme that I thought was the best one. It is music sheet. I think my themes really do have a pattern of notes to them. So, look for a pattern with my themes:

https://imageshack.com/a/img924/2648/b2Yf16.png

me about 20 posts ago said:
my main problem with all of these threads is that you refuse to listen to any slightly negative opinion
and nothing has changed. this is why you're being given half-assed reviews, dude. you're like "pls elaborate" but we've all elaborated in the past and gotten no sign of true acknowledgement from it, all we've gotten is a copypaste of "here's why i'm right and always will be", so why should we try?

let this be a lesson to you, and my last post in this thread unless you show a willingness to learn.

Riko Santarauchi said:
me about 20 posts ago said:
my main problem with all of these threads is that you refuse to listen to any slightly negative opinion
and nothing has changed. this is why you're being given half-assed reviews, dude. you're like "pls elaborate" but we've all elaborated in the past and gotten no sign of true acknowledgement from it, all we've gotten is a copypaste of "here's why i'm right and always will be", so why should we try?

let this be a lesson to you, and my last post in this thread unless you show a willingness to learn.

It's the context in which I was arguing in. I said earlier that there are musical artists who hum or sing catchy, amazing tunes and that people immediately perceive them as catchy and amazing even though these musical artists have not perfected their themes. This is what I was trying to do. I was just trying to find a shortcut without having to fully learn and go through all of that hard work and training. From there, people have said that my themes are not these types of themes and that they are just a bunch of random notes like a cat walking on the keyboard. From there, I said that they are not random notes and I presented a music sheet that shows others how there really is a pattern to my notes. Once people realize this, then they would tell me what is missing to make my themes eligible/coherent just like how those musical artists can immediately hum or sing amazing, catchy tunes on the go that are instantaneously eligible and coherent for the listeners with no need to fully and painstakingly perfect their themes unless they want to, of course.

you cannot take shortcuts if you have little to no musical experience, and expect it to be any good. mastering shorter ways to get good work out takes years of going the longer approach and lots of practice doing so. you're not even close to getting there if you're going to take the easy way out without knowing what you are doing. sorry.

See, a music degree student like me had the extended limit of tolerance of asking and offer guidance on how to write music but THIS PIECE OF CRAP IGNORED MY POSTS 3 TIMES AND PEOPLE KNOW THAT MESSING WITH MY EGO MEANS YOU ARE SO DEAD

You want to have shortcuts and make good music without effort? Seriously? You are offending every musicians who actually put their mind for the work they created.

Basically NO HARD WORK AND TRAIN = NO GOOD MUSIC. THERE IS NO SHORTCUT.

Anna said:
To be real with you, you're never EVER going to be good at making music with the attitude you have. Might as well just go back to making philosophy that no one will ever agree with.

As for my philosophy/worldview, many people would disagree with it. But my personal experience had led me to conclude that positive emotions are the only way one can live a life that is truly perceived as good and beautiful. It could be the case that I am wrong and that I lack personal experience not only in terms of being a composer, but also in terms of life in general. Who knows, there could really be some type of personal experience out there waiting for me that would give my life a whole new sense of beautiful meaning and joy independent of my fleeting, biochemical-induced positive emotions. As I am at right now, me being happy, having fun, and enjoying my life and composing is the one and only thing that makes my life and composing something beautiful and worth living for. In short, I am very limited here and this is all I have. My positive emotions, for me, are the inner light or the inner fruit.

Nijino Yume said:
See, a music degree student like me had the extended limit of tolerance of asking and offer guidance on how to write music but THIS PIECE OF CRAP IGNORED MY POSTS 3 TIMES AND PEOPLE KNOW THAT MESSING WITH MY EGO MEANS YOU ARE SO DEAD

You want to have shortcuts and make good music without effort? Seriously? You are offending every musicians who actually put their mind for the work they created.

Basically NO HARD WORK AND TRAIN = NO GOOD MUSIC. THERE IS NO SHORTCUT.

Actually, I was going to respond to your post. So, I was not ignoring you. Rather, I was just too focused on responding to what others had to say first. As far as effort goes, I thought that all I had to really do was put much effort into channeling profound emotion into creating amazing and catchy themes in my mind and, from there, putting much effort into reproducing said notes and rests I hear with suitable instruments and a beat. Basically, I thought all additional hard work, effort, and learning was that of a musical perfectionist wanting to put condiments on a cake as I explained in my opening post. I thought I could immediately convey catchy and amazing themes just like how those musical artists do on the go. But I was told later on that I couldn't even do that and to do this requires much knowledge and training. As for your post, I will answer your questions. I use MusicScore 2 which is a notation software and I use FL Studio for different instruments. As for experience, all I know when it comes to music is that you need the right rests, the right notes, suitable instruments, a beat, and I'm not sure if chords are really that important unless you want to perfect your craft.

Just woke up.

Beat only matters when you dive into the music program because we usually don't write it on the music sheet- which means in a music sheet, your main melody, bassline (aka chords if you want your bass instruments to be a bit more variety) and instrumentation is the things that you should be concerned about. Beats, are 2/4, 3/4, 4/4... stuff like that and usually you choose one for the whole song unless you want to makes things tough and playful. The huge issue is your instrumentation, not saying that your main melody doesn't make sense, but you tend to use instruments that can create super loud noises when played together which is legitimately the main reason most of us got pissed. Loud noises that don't come in harmony is really a huge no to any music, especially the calm and the ones that's supposed to be orchestral.

Chords are your main guide when fitting notes to your music sheet. Let's say I want a chord I > IV > I > I for the most parts of the music. Then you have a clue on where should i go on a track. And the hummings you do are the main melody that's created from your brain, which you need the musicality to figure what chords go with the humming melodies in your mind well. It's not something you can achieve in a day, but usually people who plays instruments will know, or at least by using their instruments, can try out what chords go with the melody. If I want to dive in further to explain/teach/guide, that's beyond "hey here's a person from the internet offering a full music course for me for free" deal.Life is real and cruel right? For further knowledge, you have to either search yourself or pay me for it, fam. ;)

You know what? After you post your tracks, I was asking people to listen to my work and compare to yours behind the scenes.
https://soundcloud.com/lim-xiao-qi/original-edm-track

Go give it a listen and see what I meant when 10/10 people stands by my side. The description of this track is in Soundcloud. And I swear, if I found that you use any parts of it for your personal use, you are so done.

Nijino Yume said:
Just woke up.

Beat only matters when you dive into the music program because we usually don't write it on the music sheet- which means in a music sheet, your main melody, bassline (aka chords if you want your bass instruments to be a bit more variety) and instrumentation is the things that you should be concerned about. Beats, are 2/4, 3/4, 4/4... stuff like that and usually you choose one for the whole song unless you want to makes things tough and playful. The huge issue is your instrumentation, not saying that your main melody doesn't make sense, but you tend to use instruments that can create super loud noises when played together which is legitimately the main reason most of us got pissed. Loud noises that don't come in harmony is really a huge no to any music, especially the calm and the ones that's supposed to be orchestral.

Chords are your main guide when fitting notes to your music sheet. Let's say I want a chord I > IV > I > I for the most parts of the music. Then you have a clue on where should i go on a track. And the hummings you do are the main melody that's created from your brain, which you need the musicality to figure what chords go with the humming melodies in your mind well. It's not something you can achieve in a day, but usually people who plays instruments will know, or at least by using their instruments, can try out what chords go with the melody. If I want to dive in further to explain/teach/guide, that's beyond "hey here's a person from the internet offering a full music course for me for free" deal.Life is real and cruel right? For further knowledge, you have to either search yourself or pay me for it, fam. ;)

You know what? After you post your tracks, I was asking people to listen to my work and compare to yours behind the scenes.
https://soundcloud.com/lim-xiao-qi/original-edm-track

Go give it a listen and see what I meant when 10/10 people stands by my side. The description of this track is in Soundcloud. And I swear, if I found that you use any parts of it for your personal use, you are so done.

But even if I had chords and the right instruments, would my themes still appear as random notes to the listener? Even if I took your advice and filled in those missing factors, would my themes still not be the great and catchy ones I say they are for anyone else listening to them? I considered 3 possibilities earlier. I definitely know it is not possibility #3 since people are telling me that these themes are awful and are like random notes. So, it either has to come down to #1 or #2. I think most people would go with #1, but I am actually going for #2. The reason why I think it is #2 is because, not only are these themes I have created in my mind unmistakably catchy and convey amazing scenes/emotions every single time I listen to them, but there is a pattern of notes to my themes and I did not just sit there and intentionally create this pattern through any sort of thought and analysis. I first created the theme in my mind through pure inspiration alone and, from there, reproduced the notes I was hearing. Sure enough, there is an actual pattern of notes which means that this inspiration might have really created an amazing, catchy theme that other people just cannot see because of missing factors. I will present the music sheet image of my best theme which would be the gentle, loving song. But this time, I have actually circled and pointed out the patterns I see with the notes:

https://imageshack.com/a/img924/7707/D1Yxl5.png

Nijino Yume said:

That's the reason why I said the same notes, but raised or lowered. By that, I mean they are not the same notes, but the same notes taken and raised or lowered. As for your advice, I will take it and try it out. But the question is, if it really is possibility #2, then could I make these themes eligible and coherent right here and now within a short time frame by applying the advice others have given me here rather than spending perhaps months or years learning everything there is about composing? If this advice will not work to convey my themes and my themes are still perceived as nothing good and/or just a bunch of random notes, then it would be futile for me to try and make these themes eligible and coherent right here and now. Rather, I would have to take the other advice people have given me when they told me that it requires me to study up and train myself for many months or years in order to successfully convey these amazing, catchy themes I have that others are just blinded from perceiving as amazing and catchy.

LMAO

See, top notes and bottom notes work differently to humans ears.
As long as your top notes don't change, any variation for the bottom notes won't affect to what you have sketched in your mind. I was telling you to change the bottom ones because they are too repetitive in a bar and that's very, very bland. I know that you won't change your main melody whatsoever.

Nijino Yume said:
LMAO

See, top notes and bottom notes work differently to humans ears.
As long as your top notes don't change, any variation for the bottom notes won't affect to what you have sketched in your mind. I was telling you to change the bottom ones because they are too repetitive in a bar and that's very, very bland. I know that you won't change your main melody whatsoever.

Those notes I made in that image were not referring to the bottom notes (the chords) at all. I was talking only about the top melody. I was pointing out the patterns with the notes in the top melody. I pointed out how they were either the same notes or the same notes, but raised or lowered.

Yes and that's sequences that you set. I don't really care how do you arrange your sequences, and the repetitions because these are the basic things that you should apply on a song and that's perfectly normal but now the issue is, in your track (The soundcloud file) we hear all notes played at the same dynamics (except the end because you put soft), we could not hear a complete sequence and it's really irritating our ears.I could make like 5 example to improvise the melody you wrote, but you are persistent. In the annoying way to most of us. But that's another issue and I don't want two people with the similar personalities to crash on the forum I loved for so many years. So what I was doing is to try to improve it without crashing away your main melody.

Nijino Yume said:
Yes and that's sequences that you set. I don't really care how do you arrange your sequences, and the repetitions because these are the basic things that you should apply on a song and that's perfectly normal but now the issue is, in your track (The soundcloud file) we hear all notes played at the same dynamics (except the end because you put soft), we could not hear a complete sequence and it's really irritating our ears.I could make like 5 example to improvise the melody you wrote, but you are persistent. In the annoying way to most of us. But that's another issue and I don't want two people with the similar personalities to crash on the forum I loved for so many years. So what I was doing is to try to improve it without crashing away your main melody.

So I see that dynamics was also a missing factor that I was unaware of. I asked earlier if I could successfully convey my themes right now or if it would take me months or years of learning and training to do so. If I can do so right now, then go ahead and list the steps I need to take in order to make that happen. But if I can't and it really is a long term goal to convey any amazing, catchy theme you have in your mind, then I am going to have to give up on improvising my themes until I have full knowledge and full training first. Lastly, me coming here, presenting my themes, and seeing how others would respond to them was all just a test. I performed this test before, it failed, I tried it again with some adjustments to my themes, that failed. From there, I tried one last test which was adding a beat and having more suitable instruments which also failed. Now I am at the point where I need to know if I can somehow successfully convey my themes right here and now by taking up the suggestions others have given me to improve my themes or if I need to have perhaps years of knowledge and training in order to successfully convey my themes.

Fam. I spent over 10 years and I am still pursuing music, I can't just do all these work. I am getting paid for teaching people how to play instruments and drawing irl, and i cannot just guide someone on the internet to compose a perfect track with nothing in return. All you can do is trial and error by yourself, and really, I don't have much free time to do this because my college semester is incoming, I do cosplays, I dance for my local cosplay group and stuff, and I work. If you don't believe it, ask most of the people in this forum who are active. I really do not have the time to do this, which is something that's literally me teaching you composition, how to utilise the music program, and track mixing techniques for nothing. Keep trying. This is the boldest advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back