Regarding the Super Mario 64 Glitches page

Semako

Koopa Troopa
Today, I partly reworked the List of Super Mario 64 glitches page. I added some new glitches like the Parallel Universe, removed duplicate ones, and also made changes to the structure while keeping the basic sections. I also removed the whole Spawning Point section from this article, creating a new one (Spawning Point) and merged the following paragraph "When Cloning is performed" with the Cloning section.
On the article's talk page, an user suggests to split the page. My question now is, how should the page be splitted? It can be splitted in subpages keeping the current structure, so that we have /Graphical, /Camera, /Music, /freeze... which will lead to very small subpages for the first sections. Also, some sections can be combined to one subpage, so that we get a subpage for both Graphial and Camera glitches, or it can be split completely differently - but what criteria should be used? Or shouldn't the page be split up at all?

Also, can the rewrite template be removed now?

Thanks for answers :)
(I didn't write on the article's talk page due to inactivity there...)

Yeah, reforms to the SM64 glitches page is LONG overdue. Those wacky speedrunners and ABC people have found out SO MUCH about the game, that it practically feels like it's almost worth splitting them into subpages.

Similarly, the Paper Mario 64 glitches page might warrant this, because that game gets equally absurd quantities of glitches found by speedrunners and people just wishing to break the game alike.

Semako said:
Today, I partly reworked the List of Super Mario 64 glitches page. I added some new glitches like the Parallel Universe, removed duplicate ones, and also made changes to the structure while keeping the basic sections.

You're doing a good job with these :)

I also removed the whole Spawning Point section from this article, creating a new one (Spawning Point) and merged the following paragraph "When Cloning is performed" with the Cloning section.

Personally, I don't see the point in this. I posted a question on the talk page, so we'll see what other have to say about it.

On the article's talk page, an user suggests to split the page. My question now is, how should the page be splitted? It can be splitted in subpages keeping the current structure, so that we have /Graphical, /Camera, /Music, /freeze... which will lead to very small subpages for the first sections. Also, some sections can be combined to one subpage, so that we get a subpage for both Graphial and Camera glitches, or it can be split completely differently - but what criteria should be used? Or shouldn't the page be split up at all?

Page could definitely use a split. It is 123,871 bytes at the time of this writing, so a split does seem eminent, sections 5 and 6 definitely need it.

Also, can the rewrite template be removed now?

If you feel you've rewritten the page adequately enough, then yes.

Thanks for answers :)
(I didn't write on the article's talk page due to inactivity there...)

Most recent post was within the last week, but perhaps posting a proposal would work.

The first thing that immediately comes to me regarding the writing quality of the article is that it's in second-person imperative. You'll have to rewrite it into third person before you can touch the rewrite template. The writing quality just isn't... that good. The section on "Door Camera glitch" needs to be less repetitive with "go", I see "kill". "Reason why" has a redundant word; you don't need "why". Finally, the glitch names can use a little cleanup though I kinda want to archive them in BJAODN at a later point.

Yes, of course such things need to be better, I will do that maybe tomorrow. Currently I'm recording some screenshots to show some glitches - which is quite difficult, as I perform them on my N64 rather than using an emulator with TAS :D
I'm also still thinking about the article's split, which will be the best solution... Maybe a "Miscellanous" subpage for glitches like those in the first three or even four sections and then subpages for physics, scripting and sequenze break sections?

Today I continued working on the page. I rewrote the first four sections (and removed the rewrite template as a result), removed unreferenced stuff, re-arranged the glitches in the huge scripting section and added several new ones like chuckya glitches, heave-ho glitches, the impossible coins in THI and the mystery gooomba. But still, there's a lot of work required, and the page of course needs to be splitted due to being so long.

Also, the page still looks like a mess mainly due to the placement of images. BRoD has a gallery, then there are images left and right randomly... Maybe it can be solved a bit by adding more images to the "major" glitches like cloning, parallel universes or hat-in-hand/HOLP manipulation (i'm thinking about fusing those paragraphs, as they're so closely connected) and displaying them as gallerys below the text, while lonely images can be kept for some minor glitches?

Edit: when I receive my Switch Pro Controller from Controller Chaos, which I'll be able to use in emulators, I will be able to upload more and better images (didn't expect such a horrible quality when recording using the capture card), which will surely help with getting images for the page.

I'm sorry I didn't continue working on the page the last days, but my study is very time-consuming and I had a chess tournament too. I definitely did not forgot, and I will continue to work when I have more time ;)

Think we could try getting into contact with those ABC/speedrunner folk to try to help out in compiling some of these glitches? Those guys are practically SM64 wizards, so lord knows having their assistance is imperative.

Interesting idea - do you mean that they should write even more detailed and longer descriptions for the glitches or use their TAS skills to provide images?
I'm thinking about getting into TAS too to recreate the hardest glitches more easily for screenshots ^^

Semako said:
Interesting idea - do you mean that they should write even more detailed and longer descriptions for the glitches or use their TAS skills to provide images?
I'm thinking about getting into TAS too to recreate the hardest glitches more easily for screenshots ^^
Really, anything they can do to help; even if they can't really write a description for the Wiki's format, simply describing it and how it works is more than helpful.

Back