Nintendo Adventure Books - Choose Your Own Path! (Now Playing: Leaping Lizards)

"Roy Koopa will be competing for the Koopa team," announces Feldspar.

What? I never signed up for this!

Vote:

I-95.svg

As you can see, I like posting pictures of highway signs. Gotta go with 95 even though 82 is my favorite number.

Do I really need to say?

This moment has been foreshadowed at several points in the story. Did you notice?

"Princess Toadstool," calls Luigi. "Go out there and make us proud!"

"Aye, Captain," replies the princess. She salutes and heads to the starting line.

"One-two-three-four-go!" Feldspar.

Even though none of them were ready, the athletes began to climb the course. They swing, crawl, and hop from ledge to ledge. As they approach the watery part of the obstacle, the princess is in second place, a few yards behind Rocky Wrench.

"Hey, Angus. Let me give you a hand," says Roy Koopa. He sticks one foot in the giant turtle's path.

Angus trips and hurtles forward, sailing over the other runners' heads. He lands with a tremendous belly flop in the water and lies there, stunned. Huge waves churn the water from the impact.

"Heh, heh," Roy snickers. "I guess I gave him a foot, instead." He reaches the water in first place and paddles past the giant turtle, who is still motionless.

Close behind Rocky, Princess Toadstool splashes by, battling the waves. She continues through the water for a few yards - but then she stops suddenly. Smiling, she returns to Angus and pulls one plate from his enormous armored shell. Using the panel as a surfboard, she glides over the waves, zooms past Rocky Wrench, and reaches the far side of the pool in seconds.

"Totally gnarly!" she yells, as all surfers do.

The others paddle after her desperately, but the princess's lead is now too great. She climbs the vines, hops onto a carpet, and sails gracefully over the finish line.

"The winner!" shouts Feldspar, handing her a tin first place medal.

Proudly, Princess Toadstool marches back to her teammates, who are cheering and waving from the bench.

*** The Royals get one tin medal. ***
Turn to page 15.

"The second event will be the Beetlebowl!" shouts Feldspar.

Once again, the crowd cheers. A brass hand plays the Mushroom Kingdom national anthem. Then Bowser Koopa, ruler of the turtles and the worst villain in all the Mushroom Kingdom, pushes his way up to the band. He forces them to play the Grand Koopa March. By the time the frightened musicians have finished verse twelve of "How Green Was My Belly," the stadium has been set up for the next event.

The center of the great field has been roped off to form a diamond. In the middle of the diamond sits a cluster of basketball-shaped Hoopster beetles. In each corner of the field stands a large, empty bucket.

"All members of each team will compete in this event," Feldspar explains. He raises an orange Hooper bug above his head. "There will be four beetles on the field at all times. Each team must try to drop one beetle into any of their opponents' buckets. At the same time, you must stop your opponents from sinking one into your bucket. Any questions?"

"Yes!" shouts everyone in the stadium.

"Too bad," replies the penguin. "Organize your teams now."

Luigi twirls his black mustache, trying to decide which of the Royals should try to dunk the beetles and which should play defense. "Okay," he says, after a while. "Here's the plan . . ."

Solve this puzzle to help decide what the Royals should do:

• These athletes are all competing in the Mushroom Games. Can you find them in this word search?

COBRAT ROCKY MARIO LEMMY IGGY ANGUS LUIGI SPIKE FIRESNAKES WENDY ROY WOOSTER TOAD THE KING​

• Words go up, down, across and backwards. The leftover letters will help you decide how to organize the Beetleball team.

0mSDPzG.png

If you think Mario, Luigi and the princess should dunk and the rest of the team should defend, turn to page 39.

If you think the king, the princess, Wooster and Toad should dunk and the rest should defend, turn to page 102.

If you think Luigi and the princess should dunk and the rest of the team should defend, turn to page 85.

[Again, it's not necessary to solve the puzzle to vote on what should happen.]

If only Angus were an allegory for this kid I knew in 4th grade. I always hated the crap outta him.

Vote: 85

Back