SMB3 minor obstacle question

Eric B

Spiny
Pronouns
He/him
Watching the SMB3 cartoon episode "Do the Koopa", around 4:00 (the version on Youtube wihth the opening, there's also one without the opening where it would be earlier), I notice pencil-like obstacles in the cave where the laser-shooting Bowser statues are. These are the same things called "Spikes" in SMW: http://www.mariowiki.com/Spike_(Super_Mario_World) It's basically a wooden spike-less miniature version of skewers, which were introduced in SMW. So I'm surprised to see them in the earlier SMB3 cartoon.

Looking through the game guides and level descriptions, I dont see them anywhere.
So I'm wondering, were these something the cartoonists simply invented, and maybe then were imported to SMW?
Or possibly something SMW developers leaked to the studio (which I think is unlikely given the time frame, but who knows, really)?

It definitely was not in SMB3. But judging by the first release date (Japan) of Super Mario World being November 21, 1990 and that episode's original air date being October 27, 1990, I imagine that SMW probably released so screenshots or some footage of the game and that gave inspiration to the cartoonists to use it in the show. I highly doubt the SMW development team took that idea from the show just because of the dates for the game and the episode.

Maybe they both had the ideas to make pencil obstacles in mind but the show's team took inspiration from something else.

Back