Badposter rates every country flag

Flag of Japan (also known as the Nisshōki (日章旗, sun-mark flag) or the Hinomaru (日の丸, circle of the sun)
800px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png

Ratio: 2:3
Adopted: 27 February 1870 (as civil ensign). Flag slightly changed and adopted as national flag on 13 August 1999.
Part 1
Rule 1: A child could draw this flag from memory, especially if they had a compass.
Rule 2: The first known ocasssion of Japan being associated with the rising sun happened on a letter sent in 607 from Prince Shōtoku of Japan to Emperor Yang of China, in whic the prince called himself "the Son of Heaven in the land where the sun rises " (in the same letter, he called the emperor "the Son of Heaven in the land where the sun sets". The emperor saw this as insolence). The first known flag with a sun in Japan is in the Unpo-ji temple Kōshū and dates from before the 16th century. (According to legend it was given to the temple by the Emperor Go-Reizei during the 11th century. It's just a legend, though.) The sun is an important symbol in Japan, given that Nihon and Nippon (Japan's names in Japan) mean "the sun's origin" and that the Emperor of Japan is said to descend from the sun goddess, Amaterasu.
After Commodore Matthew Perry ended Japan's isolationism Japanese ships were ordered to fly this flag to distinguish them from the ships of other countries. In 1870 the Hinomaru was adopted as Japan's flag. In 1885, however, it was decreed that any law not published in Official Gazette of Japan would be abolished. The law establishing Japan's flag was one of those laws, so technically Japan had no flag from 1885 to 1999, though most people considered the Hinomaru Japan's flag during that time.
During the times of the Japanese Empire the Hinomaru was used as a nationalist symbol (though it was never officially adopted). In a 1934 propaganda film all flags were portrayed as flawed except Japan's, which was perfect. In 1937 girls from the Hiroshima Prefecture ate a "flag meal", consisting of an umeboshi in a bed of rice, to show their support for Japan in the Sino-Japanese War. Displaying the flag was seen as the sign of being a "good Japanese". The places occupied by Japan in East and Southeast Asia, like Taiwan, Korea or Manchukuo (and other places) the Hinomaru had to be used. The Hinomaru was seen as the "Rising Sun flag that would light the darkness of the entire world.".
Japan would join the Axis in WWII. They would lose and be occuppied by the United States. At first, the flag could only be flown with the consent of the Supreme Commander for the Allied Powers. In 1947 the flag was permitted to be used on the National Diet buliding, the Emperor's palace, the Prime Minister's residence and the Supreme Court. In 1948 the flag was allowed to be flown by people on national holidays, and in 1949 all restrictions on the use on the flag were abolished.
After the war the Hinomaru (and Japan's national antem) became controversial, with some associating it with militarism and the Japanese Empire. After a dispute in a high school in Sera, Hiroshima over the use of the Hinomaru in the school, the school's principal committed suicide. This led to a vote in 1999 over the Act on National Flag and Anthem. Japan's ruling conservative party, the Liberal Democratic Party supported the passing of the Act, as did the conservative Komeito party, while the Social Democratic Party and the Communist Party opposed it. The Democratic Party, a centrist party which was the main opposition party, was split. The bill was passed on 22 July 1999 an came into effect on 13 August of that year. Note that before the passing of the Act the sun in the flag was passed one-hundredth towards the hoist (the par closest to the mast), but after the Act was passed the sun is now in dead center.
Rule 3: Red and white. Good colors.
Rule 4: The sun is a pretty simple emblem.
Rule 5: This flag is similar to that of Bangladesh (which has a sun) and that of Palau (which has a moon), but all of those flags have colors that make them distinctive.
Part 2
Japan had no flag before the adoption of the Hinomaru.
Wikipedia said:
While the idea of national symbols was strange to the Japanese, the Meiji Government needed them to communicate with the outside world
The flag change in 1999 was extremely minor, so I'm not putting the 1870-1999 flag here.
Part 3
A very simple flag that is also distinctive. Good flag.

Northern Verve said:
I thought there was a point where the flag included Sun rays?

Granted mainly in Military use, not general national use, but even now the Self-Defense force uses a variant of the rising sun version. So I thought that'd be something you'd mention anyway.
I'm not mentioning naval ensigns or war flags (unless the flag is the origin of the national flag, like Sardinia's war flag later became their national flag.) Well, I think design-wise it's not bad. The Japanaese naval ensign is pretty unpopular in China and Korea, which maked a lot of sense, given the association of the flag with the Japanese Empire.
Flag of Jordan
800px-Flag_of_Jordan.svg.png

Ratio: 1:2 (normal)
Adopted: 18 April 1928 (small change in 1939)
Part 1
Rule 1: A child could draw the flag from memory. I don't know if they could memorize the exact number of points in the star, but recognizability is more important than perfection.
Rule 2: First, the meaning of the Pan-Arab colors:
My Egypt writeup said:
Basically, there are two set of Pan-Arab colors: the most used set uses red, black, green and white. These colors were first used in the 1916 Arab Revolt against the Ottoman Empire and each color represented an Arab dynasty: black represented the Abbasids, white the Ummayads, green the Fatimids and red the Hashemites.
The other set uses red, white and black and is derived from the Arab Liberation Flag, which was used in the 1952 Egyptian Revolution which overthrew the country's monarchy.
The land that is now Jordan was part of the Syria Vilayet and the Mutasarrifate of Jerusalem, both part of the Ottoman Empire, during the late 19th century and the early 20th century, before WWI. In 1918 the area that is now Jordan was split between the south of Syria and the north of Hejaz. What is now Jordan was not mentioned in the San Remo conference in 1920. In the Cairo conference in 1921 it was agreed that Abdullah bin al-Hussein, the younger brother of Ali bin Hussein, future king of Hejaz (the current king was his father) and the older brother of Faisal bin Hussein bin Ali al-Hashimi, former king of Syria and future King of Iraq, would become the Emir of Transjordan, an autonomous area of (British) Mandatory Palestine east of the Jordan River which wouldn't have Jewish settlement. Transjordan was so autonomus that Palestine and Transjordan were often considered two different mandates.
In 1928 the Emirate of Transjordan became mostly independent, though the British controlled foreign affairs and some financial affairs, and kept a military presence. That year Transjordan adopted a flag based of that of the Arab Revolt, with a seven-pointed star representing Arab unity. Some say the star represent the seven verses of the Quran's first surah (chapter) or the seven hills on which Amman, Jordan's capital, was built on. Some also say the sevn points represent faith in one God, humanity, humility, national spirit, virtue, social justice, and aspiration.
In 1939 a small change was made on the flag: the chevron (the triangle) became bigger.
When Transjordan became fully independent, and became the Hashemite Kingdom of Transjordan on 25 May in 1946, its flag didn't change.
In 1949 Transjordan changed its name to Jordan.
Rule 3: Red, black, white and green. The Pan-arab colors. Not bad colors, but I don't like them.
Rule 4: The seven-pointed star is simple, imo.
Rule 5: This flag is pretty similar to Palestine's (though this flag is older than Palestine's), the only difference that Palestine's flag has no star and a smaller chevron. Also, I really can't find most Pan-Arab flags distinctive.
Part 2
Emirate of Transjordan (1928-1939)
800px-Flag_of_the_Emirate_of_Transjordan.svg.png
Yeah, the change in 1939 was pretty small.
Part 3
I don't really like Pan-Arab flags, though they're probably not actually bad.

Flag of Kazakhstan
800px-Flag_of_Kazakhstan.svg.png

Adopted: 4 June 1992 (less than a year after Kazakh independence on 16 December 1991)
Part 1
Rule 1: I don't think a child could draw the pattern from memory, nor do I think they could draw the eagle from memory. I think the child could draw the sun from memory, though not with the exact same number of points. But recognizabilty is more important than perfection.
Rule 2: Kazakhstan was the very last country to leave the Soviet Union, even later than Russia (which means that from 12 December to 16 December 1991 the Soviet Union was just Kazakhstan). Interestingly enough, when Kazakhstan became independent at first they hadn't made a new flag, its flag remaining that of the Kazakh SSR until 4 June 1992, when this flag was adopted.
The pattern is called "koshkar-muiz" (horns of the ram) and symbolizes the art and culture of the khanate and the Kazakh people. The light blue stand for the country's Turkic people, like Kazakhs (63.1% of the country's population), Uzbeks (2.9%), Uyghurs (1.4%) Tatars (1.3%) or Kyrgyz (0.2%) (interestingly, this flag doesn't represent Kazakhstan's non-Turkic minorities, like Russians (23.7%, the country's biggest minority) or Ukrainians (2.1%), nor the Germans, Chechens and Koreans deported to Kazakhstan under Stalinism, and their descendants), and symbolizes cultural and ethic unity, peace, freedom, the endless sky and the sea (Kazakhstan is landlocked, but it does border the Caspian Sea and it also has some lakes, including the unfortunately shrinking Aral Sea :(). The sun, source of life and energy, symbolizes wealth and plenitude. It has 32 rays similar to grain, representing wealth and prosperity.
According to Wikipedia and aboutkazakhstan.com the eagle appeared in the flag of various Kazakh tribes in the past, and represents freedom, independence and flight to the future.
Rule 3: Light blue and yellow. Nice.
Rule 4: The sun is simple. I'm on the fence on whether the eagle is simple or not, but the pattern is definetly complex.
Rule 5: This flag, as it is now, is distinctive. I think if the pattern and eagle were removed it'd be too similar to Palau's, however.
Part 2
Alash Autonomy (unrecognized) (1917-1920)
800px-Flag_of_the_Alash_Autonomy.svg.png
Good flag, though I think it's too similar to Turkey's.
Kazakh SSR (1937-1940)
800px-Flag_of_Kazakh_SSR_%281937-1940%29.svg.png
Early Soviet flags tended to have text. This is bad.
Kazakh SSR (1940-1953)
800px-Flag_of_Kazakh_SSR_%281940-1953%29.svg.png
Same as above.
Kazakh SSR (1953-1991), Republic of Kazakhstan (1991-1992)
800px-Flag_of_the_Kazakh_SSR.svg.png
Adding blue or green stripes to flags was a big trend in SSR in the 1950s
Part 3
I'd remove the pattern, but keep the eagle to make the flag distinctive from Palau's.

Flag of Kenya
800px-Flag_of_Kenya.svg.png

Ratio: 2:3 (normal)
Adopted: 12 December 1963 (Kenyan independence)
Part 1
Rule 1: I don't think the shield is that complex, but I could be wrong on this.
Rule 2: I'm being kinda dishonest when I say that Ethiopia's colors are the Pan-African colors. Sure, they're the most used set of Pan-African colors, but they're not the only set. The other set of Pan-African colors is based on the Pan-African flag designed and adopted by the Universal Negro Improvemennt Association in 1920. In that flag, the red represented the blood shed for liberation, the black representing Africans and people of African descent and the green the natural wealth of Africa.
A flag based on the Pan-African one would be adopted by the Kenyan African National Union,a political party which led Kenyan independence and dominated Kenyan politics until their electoral defeat (nowadays they've gone into decline, having only 6 out of 349 seats in the National Assembly and only 3 out of 67 seats in the Senate). Kenya's flag is based on that of the Kenya National Afrca Union.
In Kenya's flag the black represents Kenyans, the red the blood shed during independence (Kenyan independence was peaceful, but the Mau Mau uprising,which ended five years before Kenyan independence was bloody), the green symbolizes the counry's landscape and natural wealth and the white represents peace and honesty. The Maasai shield (which is interesting, considering the Maasai are only around 850 thousand of Kenya's 45 million people)and the spears represent the defense of all that the flag symbolizes.
Rule 3: Black, white red and green. The small white stripes are fimbrations, which are small stripes that are in the flag to prevent it from breaking the rule of tincture. By the way, I prefer this set of colors to that of Ethiopia's flag
Rule 4: This flag has a shield, though I think it's a simple one. I don't like the spears though.
Rule 5: I find all flags using this set of Pan-African colors.
Part 2
East Africa Protectorate (1895-1920), Colony of Kenya (1920-1963) Protectorate of Kenya (a 10-mile (16 km) coastal strip officially under the sovereignty of the Sultan of Zanzibar and leased to the British, which had the same administration as the Colony of Kenya)
800px-Flag_of_British_East_Africa.svg.png
The British Empire was very big and very bad at making flags.
Part 3
A good flag, but I'd remove the spears.

Flag of Kiribati
800px-Flag_of_Kiribati.svg.png

Adopted: 12 July 1979 (Kiribati's independence=
Part 1
Rule 1: I don't know if a child could draw the exact number of waves or rays of the sun from memory. Also I don't think a child could draw the bird from memory.
Rule 2: This flag's origins come from the flag of the British colony of Gilbert and Ellice Islands (Ellice Islands, after independence, would become Tuvalu, while Kiribati is what was once the Gilbert Islands. In fact, the name Kiribati comes from a local pronunciation of Gilberts. (In Gilbertese, Kiribati's main language, "ti" is used to represent an "s" sound, so Kiribati is actually prononunce Kiribas, and Kiritimati, an island in Kiribati also known as Christmas Island, is pronounce Kirismas, close to Christmas)).
The British colonial flag, like most British colonial flags, had an Union Jack on the canton, and a coat of arms on the bottom left. The coat of arms would be pretty similar to Kiribati's current flag.
The three white stripes represent Kiribati's three main island groups: the Gilbert Islands, the Phoenix Islands, and the Line Islands. The waves represent the Pacific Ocean. The sun represents Kiribati's position in both sides of the Equator (Kiribati is in fact the only country to be in all 4 hemispheres), and has 17 rays, which represent the 16 Gilbert Islands plus Banaba Island (note that the Phoenix and Line Islands are not represented.). The frigatebird symbolizes command of the sea, power, freedom and Kiribati cultural dance patterns.
Rule 3: Red, yellow, white, and blue. I don't think the flag has amazing colors but they're not bad either.
Rule 4: I tested whether the sun and frigatebird are simple by drawing (not from memory, I was looking at Wikipedia's page for the flag). I could draw the sun, but not the frigatebird (lol my drawing skills). So I think the Sun's simple, but the frigatebird isn't.
Rule 5: This flag, despite being unique among country flags (I know no other country which currently exists and has waves on its flag), is actually similar to those of Greater London and the Company of Scotland . (Founded in 1695, defunct in 1700. It attemped to colonize part of Panama, and was funded with between 25% and 50% of Scotland's money. Its colonization attempt failed miserably, which was a cause of the Acts of Union 1707, which united England and Scotland.) However, Kiribati's flag is different enough from the two other flags for me to think it's distinctive.
Part 2
Gilbert and Ellice Islands (protectorate in 1892, colony in 1916, flag adopted in 1937, colony split between Gilbert and Ellice Islands the first day of 1976), Gilbert Islands (1976-1979)
800px-Flag_of_Gilbert_and_Ellice_Islands.svg.png
It's a British colonial flag. You probably already know I dislike British colonial flag.
Part 3
I think this flag would be better without the frigatebird.

Note: If you don't recognize Kosovo's independence pretend this post never happened.
Flag of Kosovo (Recognized by 108 members. If a country is recognized by more than 10 UN members I'll write about its flag)
800px-Flag_of_Kosovo.svg.png

Ratio: 5:7 (an unusual ratio, which, interestingly enough, is the same as that of Albania's flag)
Adopted: 17 February 2008 (Kosovo declared independence on that date.)
Part 1
Rule 1: A child could not draw Kosovo from memory.
Rule 2: In 1991 the Kosovo Liberation Army was founded. In 1995 they began to attack and sabotage Yugoslavian law enforcement. In 1998 attacks against Yugoslavian (by that point in time Yugoslavia was just Serbia and Montenegro) authorities. The Yugoslavian reaction began the Kosovo War, in which the KLA (backed in the latter part of the war by a NATO bombing campaign) and Yugoslavia fought each other in a war in which ethnic cleansing was commited. A day before the end of the war in 1999 United Nations Security Council Resolution 1244 was adopted, which established the United Nations Interim Administration in Kosovo, which, as its name indicates, administered Kosovo.
In June 2007 a contest for Kosovo's new flag occurred. The rules were that the flag had to reflect the fact that Kosovo had multiple ethnicities, that the flag couldn't be only red and black (the colors of Albania's flag) or solely blue, white and red (the main colors of Serbia's flag), that the flag had to be rectangular and have a 2:3 proportion (Kosovo's flag indeed once had a 2:3 proportion, but the ratio was changed in April 2009). Eventually, a flag designed by Muhamer Ibrahimi won the contest, and after Kosovo's declaration of independence in 2008 Ibrahimi's flag was adopted as Kosovo's flag.
In the flag, Kosovo represents Kosovo, and the six star Kosovo's six main ethnicities: Albanians (92%), Serbs (4%, but a majority in North Kosovo, which mostly boycotted Kosovo's last census), Bosniaks (1.6%), Turks (1.1%), Gorani (0.6%) and Romani (0.5%).
I'll let the designer of the flag explain the rest (I found the quote in flagspot. It originally came from an interview in Kosavapress):
Muhamer Ibrahimi said:
The blue colour in the flag of the state of Kosovo represents the goals of the people of Kosovoa for the Euro-Atlantic** integration. The golden yellow colours, in fact the map on blue field, represents Kovoso as a rich and peaceful country, while the white star above the map represent the communities living in Kosovo. There are larger and smaller communities, but they are all equal in the new state of Kosovo.
Rule 3: Blue, white and yellow. Nice colors (interestingly enough, all of those colors are found in Serbia's flag but none of the are in Albania's)
Rule 4: I think Kosovo is a complex emblem. Maps are bad to have on flags, since most countries have complex shapes.\
Rule 5: This flag, interestingly enough, is similar to that of Bosnia and Herzegovina. Both have white stars, a blue background and a map (or at least an emblem rougly shaped like the country) that is yellow.
Part 2
Well, the only change in Kosovo's flag since independence has been the change in ratio, a rather minor change. If you want other Kosovar flags, look at the flags proposed in the 2007 contest.
Part 3
Don't put maps on flags. Bad flag

Flag of Kuwait
800px-Flag_of_Kuwait.svg.png

Adopted: 7 September 1961 (less than 3 months after independence on 19 June 1961)
Part 1
Rule 1: A child could draw this flag from memory.
Rule 2: This is a Pan-Arab flag, which means it's time for the Pan-Aran copypasta:
Me in my Egypt writeup said:
Basically, there are two set of Pan-Arab colors: the most used set uses red, black, green and white. These colors were first used in the 1916 Arab Revolt against the Ottoman Empire and each color represented an Arab dynasty: black represented the Abbasids, white the Ummayads, green the Fatimids and red the Hashemites.
The other set uses red, white and black and is derived from the Arab Liberation Flag, which was used in the 1952 Egyptian Revolution which overthrew the country's monarchy.
Before 1899 Kuwait was officially part of the Ottoman Basra Elayet (or, after 1862, vilayet), though in fact it was a mostly autonomous sheikhdom. At the time, Kuwait had a plain red flag.
In 1899 Sheikh Mubarak bin Sabah Al-Sabah of Kuwait (who, by the way, gained the throne in 1896 after murdering his half-brother) signed a treaty with the British government making Kuwait a British protectorate and which basically made the UK control Kuwait's foreign policy. That same year the flag was changed and the word كويت (Kuwait) and a star and crescent (like Turkey's, but reversed) were added to the left and right side of the flag respectively. In 1909 the flag was changed so that the star and crescent would become bigger (and centered) and the text would become smaller and would become relegated to the top fly-side (the side away from the flagpole, represented as the right side. The opposite of the hoist side).
In 1913 the Anglo-Ottoman Convention established that Kuwait was an autonomous caza (jurisdiction) of the Ottoman Empire, that its sheikh would be a kaymakam (provincial sub-governor), and that the Ottomans would recognize the 1899 Anglo-Kuwaiti agreement.
In 1915 Kuwait's flag was once again changed. The star and crescent would be removed, and the text would become bigger and centered. A white stripe in the fly side would be added to the flag.
After WWI the Anglo-Ottoman Convention (which was never ratified) was invalidated, and the Ottomans would lose control of the Ottoman Empire. In 1919, the Emirate of Nejd and Hasa, led by Emir Abdulaziz ibn Abdul Rahman ibn Faisal ibn Turki ibn Abdullah ibn Muhammad Al Saud, along with the the Ikhwan (a Wahabbi religious militia) invaded Kuwait intending to annex it, but the British fought them off. This led to the 1922 Uqair Protocol (which Kuwait did not attend), after which Kuwait lost two thirds of its territory to Nejd.
In 1956 Kuwait changed its flag again. The text became less stylized, a vertical Shahada was added in the hoist side and the white stripe was made thinner, was changed to be in the hoist side and its border with the red part of the flag was made curvy.
In 1961 Kuwait was released from its treaty with the UK and became a fully independent country. Not much time later Kuwait got an entirely new flag, a green, white, and red horizontal tricolor with a black vertical trapezoid on the hoist.
In Kuwait's flag the colors have Pan-Arab symbolism, but they also symbolize something else. Black represents the enemy's defeat, red blood on Kuwaiti sword, white symbolizes purity and green symbolizes Kuwait's fertile land (though a satellite image of Kuwait proves that its land is not at all fertile).
To sum it up:
Safie Al-Deen Al-Hali said:
White are our deeds
Black are our battles
Green are our lands
Red are our swords
Rule 3: As I have already written, I don't like the Pan-Arab colors (but there's nothing wrong with liking them. I just don't like then)
Rule 4: This flag has no text or emblems.
Rule 5: Somehow, while I can't find Iraq's or Jordan's flags distinctive, I find this flag distinctive. Apparently, trapezoids are more distinctive than stars or text to me.
Part 2
Until 1899
Flag_of_Kuwait_%28%3F-1899%29.png
Not to be confused with the flag of the Hungarian Soviet Republic.
1899-1909
800px-Flag_of_Kuwait_%281899-1909%29.svg.png
This flag has text, but the text is simple and stylized enough for me not to dislike the text.
1909-1915
800px-Flag_of_Kuwait_%281909-1915%29.svg.png
I can tell this flag from Turkey's, but I still think it's too similar to it.
800px-Flag_of_Kuwait_%281915-1956%29.svg.png
That text is so happy. I love it.
1956-1961
800px-Flag_of_Kuwait_1956-1961_For_maritime_use_style_1.png
This flag has a lot of text, and the text looks worse than last flag's. Also, I don't know if the flag's shade of red actually changed or that's just Wikipedia, but if the shade did change... I very much prefer the previous flag's shade.
Part 3
While at least I can find the flag distinctive, I think it's a generic Pan-Arab.

Flag of Kyrgyzstan
800px-Flag_of_Kyrgyzstan.svg.png

Ratio: 3:5 (the third most common flag ratio)
Adopted: 3 March 1992 (less than a year after Kyrgyz independence on 31 August 1992)
Part 1
Rule 1: I think some children can't memorize the exact number of sunrays. But I think a child can draw the rest of sun from memory, and besides recognizability is more important than perfection.
Rule 2: Kyrgyzstan, unlike Kazakhstan, left the Soviet Union at about the same time most countries did, shortly after the failed August Coup (guess in
which month it happened)
. Also unlike Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan changed its flag immediatly after independence, though Kyrgyzstan's first flag was almost identical as that of the Kirghiz SSR, the only difference being the former had no hammer and sickle.
The flag's red backrougnd symbolizes bravery and valor and the sun symbolizes peace and wealth, and is shaped like a tündük, the crown of a traditional Kyrgyz yurt. The sun's forty rays represent the forty tribes unified by the legendary Kyrgyz hero Manas against the the Mongols, according to legend. The number is an important number in the the ancient Central Asian religion of Tengriism (CTRL+F "forty" or "40"). So given the importance of that number in Kyrgyz culture I'm giving the big number of rays the sun has a pass.
Rule 3: Red and yellow. I like it.
Rule 4: That's a simple sun imo. Though I can see why someone would see it as complex.
Rule 5: The sun in the flag is pretty distinctive.
Part 2
Kirghiz SSR (1936-1952)
800px-Flag_of_Kyrgyz_SSR_before_1952.svg.png
The early flags of SSRs were pretty undistinctive. Also they had a lot of text.
Kirghiz SSR (1952-1991)
800px-Flag_of_Kyrgyz_SSR.svg.png
One of the better SSR flags, though it's pretty similar to that of the Turkmen SSR
1991-1992
800px-Flag_of_Kyrgyzstan_%281991-1992%29.svg.png
Nice flag. It's simpler than the current, but I think both are good flags.
Part 3
I like that sun, and while I don't like the number of rays it has I think it's justified due to symbolism.

Flag of Laos
800px-Flag_of_Laos.svg.png

Adopted: 12 October 1945 (first time Laos became independent from France). Readopted on 2 December 1975 (Lao People's Democratic Republic established.)
Part 1
Rule 1: It's a simple flag. A child could draw it from memory.
Rule 2: From 1893 to 1945 what is now Laos was a French protectorate, which was also a monarchy (the first king of Laos was formerly king of the Kingdom of Luang Pruabang). While it was a French protectorate Laos had a red flag with a three-headed white elephant (representing the god Eirawan and referencing the old kingdom of Lan Xang's name, which in English is "million elephants"), standing on top of a pedestal (representing the law) and under a nine-folded umbrella (representing Mount Meru, a sacred mount in Hindu and Buddhist cosmologies.). There was also a French flag in the canton, obviously because Laos was a French protectorate.
During WWII Laos was occupied by the Japanese Empire. After the War ended there was a power vacuum in Laos. Prince Phetsarath attemped to convince King Sisavang Vong to end the French protectorate (given the French couldn't protect Laos from the Japanese Empire), but the king refused. This led to the monarchy being dismissed and the establishment of a government by a nationalist movement called Lao Issara (Free Laos). An horizontal triband based on Thailand's flag (designed by Maha Sila Viravong) with a red stripe in the top and bottom and a middle blue stripe was adopted as Laos' flag. The red stripes symbolize the blood shed by Lao people (both in Laos and in northeastern Thailand), the blue stripe the Mekong River and the white circle unity of the Lao people (it is also said to represent a full moon against the Mekong)
The Lao Issara government didn't last long. It was militarily weak and had no allies and it had poor financial management, leading to Laos easily being reconquered by France in 1946. The king, the protectorate and the old flag were all restored. The leaders Lao Issara would flee to Thailand. The Lao Issara would disband in 1949 due to lack of unity.
In 1947 Laos got a constitution which established it as an independent kingdom within the French Union and in 1952 the French tricolor was removed from Laos' flag. After the Franco-Lao Treaty was signed in 1953 the Kingdom of Laos became fully independent. The flag was not changd.
The Kingdom of Laos spent its entire existence fighting a civil war between itself (supported by South Vietnam, Thailanda and the US) fought against the communist Pathet Lao movement and North Vietnam (supported by the Soviet Union, China, and North Korea). The war would be long, ending on 2 December 1975, when the Pathet Lao took Vientiane (Laos' capital), the king abdicated, the Lao People's Democratic Republic (an one-party state whose only legal party is the Lao People's Revolutionary Party) was established and the flag adopted by the Lao Issara was adopted as Laos' national flag.
Rule 3: Red, blue, and white. This flag's colors are OK.
Rule 4: The circle (moon?) is a simple emblem.
Rule 5: This flag is similar to that of Costa Rica's, Thailand's (which this flag was based on), Cambodia's and North Korea's (both adopted three years after this flag first was), but I think the white circle makes this flag distinctive.
Part 2
French protectorate of Laos (1893-1945, 1946-1952)
800px-Flag_of_French_Laos.svg.png
I prefer the version wothout the French flag.
French protectorate of Laos (1952-1953), Kingdom of Laos (1953-1975)
800px-Flag_of_Laos_%281952-1975%29.svg.png
I like elephants, and I think the umbrella and pedestal look nice, but a child could not draw the elephant from memory, and I prefer the simpler current flag.
Part 3
It's not bad at all, but I don't love this flag either.

Flag of Latvia
800px-Flag_of_Latvia.svg.png

Adopted: In use since 13th century. Adopted by the Republic of Latvia on 15 June 1921 (years after Latvia declared independence on 8 November 1918). Readopted on 27 February 1990 (more than a year before Latvian restoration of independence on 21 August 1991)
Part 1
Rule 1: It's a pretty simple flag. A child could.
Rule 2: This flag originates in the 13th century. It is first mentioned in the Livonian Rhymed Chronicle, in which it is said that around 1279 Latvian tribes from Cēsis flew a red flag with a white stripe in a war. According to legend, a chief of a Latvian tribe was once mortally wounded and wrapped in a white sheet. The two edges of the sheet were stained with the chief's blood, but the part in which the chief was lying on remained white (you may notice that the Austrian flag has a similar legend for its origin). The tribe would fly the sheet as a flag in the following battle, which they would win, and since then Latvian tribes have used the colors of the sheet/flag (but that's just a legend, which may not be true).
In 1918, after WWI and the October Revolution, Latvia declared independence. This began a war between it (along with Estonia, Lithuania and Poland) and the Russian SFSR (which in early 1919 controlled almost all of Latvia), also featuring Germany and Russian Whites which were at first allied with Latvia and after a German coup in Latvia, opposed to it. Finally, after the Latvian–Soviet Peace Treaty Latvia was able to secure its independence. Latvia officially adopted a red flag with a white stripe in 1921, but according to this blog the ratio and shade of red were only defined in 1923.
In 1940, after the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact was signed Latvia was occupied by the Soviet Union, and the flag of Latvia was banned. After Operation Barbarossa (1941) Latvia was occupied by Nazi Germany and while at first the Latvian flag was permitted to be flown it was soon banned (Latvia's flag during the period was the Nazi German flag). In 1944 the Soviets defeated the Nazis in Latvia and reoccupied the Baltic country. The Latvian flag remained banned and the official flag of Latvia was that of the Latvian SSR. This was the case until 1990 when, after the peaceful Baltic Way protest (featuring an human chain of two million people), and glasnost and perestroika the flag that had been used by the Republic of Latvia became the flag of the Latvian SSR. On 4 May 1990 the Supreme Soviet of the Latvian SSR adopted the Declaration "On the Restoration of Independence of the Republic of Latvia", which argued that Latvia had been independent since 1918 and the Soviet occupation was illegal, and established a transitional period after which Latvia would become independent (note that, unlike the other former Soviet Republics, the Baltic States did not declare independence but rather restoration of it. All Baltic states immediatly returned to their last constitution before WWII, though Estonia and Lithuania adopted new constitutions in 1992. Latvia still uses its 1922 constitution, however). During the the August Coup in 1991 Latvia declared the transitional period was over and its independence would be fully restored. Latvia kept its flag after the restoration of its independence. The Soviet Union recognized Latvian independence on 6 September 1991
Rule 3: Carmine red an white. I love the shade of red on the flag.
Rule 4: This flag is a simple one with no text or emblems.
Rule 5: I can tell this flag apart from Austria's (which is also one of the oldest national flags), but I think others may not.
Part 2
Latvian SSR (1940-1941, 1944-1953)
800px-Flag_of_Latvian_SSR_%281940-1953%29.svg.png
Like other early Soviet flag, this an undistinctive flag with text.
Latvian SSR (1953-1990)
800px-Flag_of_Latvian_SSR.svg.png
The flag of the Estonian SSR also had waves, interestingly enough.
Part 3
Good flag, if too similar to Austria's. I prefer the naval ensign and the naval jack, though.

lmao I put in Lithuania instead of Latvia (I fixed the mistake though)
Anyways I have to announce that I'll be away from home for three days (family reasons) starting from tomorrow and, while I'll probably have Internet access I won't post in this topic.
So I'll post three bad flags
Flag_of_Fes_Boulmane.png

Fès-Boulemane region, Morocco.
1M65NS9.png

guess
KE0Bd66.jpg
Proposed flag for the EU (2001) (spoilered because it could be bad for eyes.)

I'm back!
Flag of Lebanon
750px-Flag_of_Lebanon.svg.png

Adopted: 7 December 1943 (less than a month after Lebanese independence on 22 November 1943)
Part 1
Rule 1: A child could draw the cedar tree recognizably, but not perfectly. But as I have written , the former is more important.
Rule 2: The cedar tree is a tree found in the mountains of Lebanon, symbolizing holiness, eternity (some Lebanon cedars are thought to be between 1000 and 2000 years old) and peace. The cedars of Lebanon are mentioned multiple times in the Bible, like in Psalms 92:13 or in Psalms 104:16.
Before WWI what is now Lebanon was part of the Beirut Vilayet in the Ottoman Empire. After WWI what is now Lebanon was the State of Greater Lebanon, part of the French Mandate for Syria and the Lebanon.. Greater Lebanon had the French tricolor with a cedar tree in the white stripe for its flag.
After WWII broke out the Vichy French government allowed Nazi Germany to move aircraft and supplies from Syria and Lebanon to Iraq to fight the British, which caused the British to attack Lebanon and Syria and fight against the French. The campaign resulted in British victory, and General Georges Catroux of the Free French declared that Lebanon would become independent. Elections were held in 1943, which resulted in a government that abolished the Mandate on 8 November 1943. The leaders of the new government were arrested by the French, but they were released on 22 November 1943. On 7 December 1943 Article 5 of the Constitution of Lebanon (1926) was changed to establish a red, white, and red horizontal triband (in which the white stripe had the same size as the two red stripes combined) and a cedar tree in the center. The white sybolize purity and peace (though Lebanon's had a civil war, a war between Israel and Hezbollah which happened in it, and spillover from Syria's civil war) and the red represents the blood shed by Lebanese people.
Rule 3: Red, white, and green. Good colors.
Rule 4: The cedar tree is simpe enough imo.
Rule 5: The cedar tree is a pretty distinctive emblem.
Part 2
State of Greater Lebanon (Part of the French Mandate for Syria and the Lebanon) (1920-1946)
800px-Flag_of_Lebanon_during_French_Mandate_%281920-1943%29.svg.png
This is an actually good French colonial. It doesn't have a flag in the canton!
Part 3
I love this flag, maybe because I like trees.

Flag of Lesotho
800px-Flag_of_Lesotho.svg.png

Adopted: 4 October 2006
Part 1
Rule 1: I think the flag is mostly simple, but the pattern in the bottom of the hat could be too hard for a child to draw perfectly from memory.
Rule 2: On 4 October 1966 the Kingdom of Lesotho gained independence from the UK. A government led by the Basotho National Party was established, and a flag based on the party's colors became the flag of Lesotho. It was mostly blue, but it had two vertical green and red stripes on the hoist side, a white mokorotlo hat, a traditional hat of the Sotho people, who are 99.7% of the country's population. The blue symbolized sky and rain, the white peace, the green land (Lesotho is a very mountainous country, its lowest point being 1400 metres (4593 feet) above sea level. As you can see in a satellite image, the country is mostly brown) and the red, faith.
In 1970 general elections were held in Lesotho. The Basutoland Congress Party, a Pan-African party, won the election, but the Prime Minister of Lesotho, Leabua Jonathan nullifying the election, declaring a state of emergency, and disolving parliament. In response, the Basutoland Congress Party began a guerrilla war, though the government defeated the guerrillas.
In 1986 Leabua Jonathan would be ousted and exiled after a coup, being replace by a military council led by General Justin Lekhanya. A new flag for Lesotho would be adopted the next year. It was a white flag with a diagonal blue stripe and a green triangle on the bottom of the fly. On the white would be a Basotho shield, an Assegai (a type of lance) and a knobkierie (a type of club). The white would represent peace, the blue rain, and the green, prosperity.
After the coup Moshoeshoe II, Lesotho's king would be given more power. But after the king wrote a memorandum stating his wish for a new constution for Lesotho, which would give him more power, he would be deposed and exiled, being replaced by his son Letsie III.
In 1991 Justin Lekhanya would be overthrown, and Major-General Elias Phisoana Ramaema would become Chairman of the Military Council. Moshoeshoe would be allowed to return to Lesotho in 1992.
In 1993 elections were held, being won by the Basutoland Congress Party. The king asked the new government to restore his father to the throne. The government reefused, which led to the king staging a coup, backed by the military. The new government would not have international recognition, and after negotiation with the Southern African Development Community the Basutoland Congress Party government was restored in 1995. That same year Letsie III abdicated, being replaced by his father. However, on 15 January 1996 Moshoeshoe II died in a car accident, and Letsie III once again became the King of Lesotho.
In 1997 disputes in the Basutoland Congress Party led to Prime Minister Ntsu Mokhehle, along with a majority of the party's member in parliament, forming a new party called the Lesotho Congress for Democracy. Mokhehle then resigned as Prime Minister, being replaced by Pakalitha Mosisili.
In 1998 elections were held, being won by the Lesotho Congress for Democracy. Though international observers considered the election free and fair, accussations of vote rigging caused mass protest in Lesotho. Pakalitha Mosisili would ask the Southern African Development Community for help, and troops were sent. Although the Botswana Defence Force was welcomed, there were tensions with the South African National Defence Force. When the South African flag was flown in the Royal Palace there were riots.
This culminated in the forming of an Interim Political Authority, which established an electoral system, in which the old 80 seats based on constituency were kept and 40 new seats based on proportional representation. New elections would be held in 2002, and the Lesotho Congress Party would win again, but with nine other parties being represented.
In 2006 it was announced that Lesotho would get a new flag for the 40th anniversary of its independence. Four designs were proposed, and a blue, white and green tricolor with a mokorotlo on the white won. The hat was originally brown, but it has changed to black to represent Lesotho being a black nation.
In Lesotho's flag, the the blue symbolizes sky and rain, the white peace, and the green, prosperity.
Rule 3: Blue, white, black and green. I like this color combination.
Rule 4: I think the hat is simple, but some may disagree.
Rule 5: This flag is pretty distinctive. Not many flags have hats, especially not a mokorotlo.
Part 2
1966-1987
800px-Flag_of_Lesotho_%281966%29.svg.png
I don't care about most violations of the rule of tincture, but this flag really has ugly colors.
1987-2006
800px-Flag_of_Lesotho_%281987-2006%29.svg.png
I don't think this flag is bad, but I prefer the current.
Part 3
Good flag, even if the flag is a bit complex.

Flag of Liberia
800px-Flag_of_Liberia.svg.png

Ratio: 10:19 (same as that of the US flag)
Adopted: 26 July 1847 (Liberian independence)
Part 1
Rule 1: A child could draw this flag from memory, though some children couldn't draw the exact number of stripes. But recognizability is more important than perfection.
Rule 2: The similarity of this flag and that of the United States are no coincidence. Liberia was, in fact, founded by the American Colonization Society as a plan to return freed black Americans back to Africa. The first American settlers of what was then known as the Pepper Coast settled the place in 1822. The new colony would be known as Liberia, which was at first a colony of the American Colonization Society. In 1839 the settlement was named the Commonwealth of Liberia and in 1841 Joseph Jenkins Roberts became the first black governor of Liberia. By that time the society had become almost bankrupt, and Liberia had become a financial burden. Thus, in 1846 the society asked the Americo-Liberians to declare their independence, which on 26 July 1847, they did (though the US only recognized Liberian independence in 1862). That same date Liberia adopted a new constitution based on that of the United Statres and a flag also very similar to that of the United States. The flag has eleven stripes, symbolizing the eleven signers of the Liberian Declaration of Independence. The red of the flag symbolizes courage, the white, moral excellence, and the blue the African continent. The star symbolizes Liberia being the first independent Western-style republic in Africa (as a sidenote, Americo-Liberian were unfamilar with the region's natives, and became part of a dominant caste, which dominated Liberian politics (all Liberian presidents before 1980 were Americo-Liberians. From 1878 to 1980 the True Whig Party dominated elections in Liberia so much that the nomination process during that time was more competitive than the actual elections, in which only land-owning Liberians could vote), economics and society (Native Liberians only got birthright citizenship in 1904). This led to a coup led by Samuel Doe (Liberia's first non-Americo-Liberian president), which led to a rigged election in 1985, which led to a civil war from 1989 to 1997 (in which Doe was assassinated), which led to Charles Taylor becoming President of Liberia. Taylor's involvement in Sierra Leone's civil war led to Liberia having another civil war from 1999 to 2003, which led to a United Nations peace-keeping mission in Liberia, Charles Taylor resigning and going into exile in Nigeria, the establishment of a transitional government, and, in 2005, the first fully democratic elections in Liberian history.
Rule 3: Red, white and blue. The colors may be overused, but I like how they look in the flag.
Rule 4: Stars are pretty simple.
Rule 5: I think this flag is actually distinctive compared to the flag of the United States, given most people can tell a flag with one star with one with fifty. Therefore I consider this flag related but distinctive, though I understand why someone could disagree.
Part 2
Before independence Liberia used the flag of the United States (which I will write about). After independence Liberia never changed its flag.
Part 3
This flag may be unoriginal, but it has good colors and it's not ugly. And it's definetly better than the flags of its counties.

Flag of Libya
800px-Flag_of_Libya.svg.png

Adopted: 24 December 1951 (Libyan independence). Readopted on 3 August 2011.
Part 1
Rule 1: A child could draw this flag from memory. It's a simple flag.
Rule 2: Libya was, before 1912, part of the Ottoman Empire, but after the Italo-Turkish War (1911-1912) it was annexed by Italy, becoming a colony known as Italian North Africa. Italy would struggle to subjugate the native population of the colony, only fully controlling Libya beginning in 1931.
The Italian colony's borders would change until they became Libya's current borders in 1934.
In 1927 Italian North Africa was split between Italian Tripolitania and Italian Cyrenaica, but in 1934 the colonies were reunited and became Italian Libya.
During WWII Libya was occupied by the UK (which occupied Tripolitania and Cyrenaica) and the Free French (which occupied Fezzan. After 1943 Italy had no control over Libya, something it recognized in its 1947 peace treaty with the Allies of WWII.
In 1949 a United Nations General Assembly resolution stated that Libya should become independent before the first day of 1952. That same year Cyrenaica became the independent Emirate of Cyrenaica, which had a black flag with a white crescent and star. In 1951 Tripolitania and Fezzan became independent and united with Cyrenaica to become the Kingdom of Libya, whose king was the same person as the emir of Cyrenaica, Idris I.
The Kingdom of Libya's flag was a red, black, and green tricolor with a white star and crescent on the flag. The red symbolized the blood shed by Libyans, the black the dark days of Italian colonization, the green the agriculture and future prosperity of Libya. The white star and crescent symbolize Islam, and along with the black they come from the flag of the Emirate of Cyrenaica. The red and green stripes symbolize Fezzan and Tripolitania, respectively.
Idris I would be the only king of Libya. On 1 September 1969 a group of young military officers led by Muammar al-Gaddafi ousted the king in a coup d'état. The monarchy was abolished, and Idris, who was in Greece for medical treatment, would never return to Libya, which became the Libyan Arab Republic. The Libyan Arab Republic had a flag which was identical to Yemen's current (at the time Yemen was split into North and South Yemen, both of which had flag different to the current Yemeni flag).
The new flag lasted until 1972. The previous year, there were (probably rigged) referendums in Libya, Egypt, and Syria over the establishment of a Federation of Arab Republics. Officially the pro-Federation side won and the Federation was established, but in reality the Federation never got off the ground due to disagreements over the term of the merger. One of the few things in the Federation that really existed was the flag, which was like Yemen's current except with an eagle holding a scroll with the name of the federation.
On 2 March 1977 the Socialist People's Libyan Arab Jamahiriya (Jamahiriya is commonly translated as "state of the masses"). On 11 November 1977 Libya adopted a plain green flag. The green symbolizes Islam and Gaddafi's political philosophy, written in his green book.
The Federation of Arab Republics would officially be disestablished on 19 November 1977, though in reality it had never existed. Syria and Egypt would keep the flag of the federation until 1980 and 1984, respectively.
In the 2011 Libyan Civil War the flag of the Kingdom of Libya was flown by the rebels, and on 3 August 2011 the National Transitional Council adopted the flag. After the killing of Gaddafi and the end of the civil war in October 2011 this flag became the flag of all of Libya.
Rule 3: Red, black, white, and green. I love the colors of this flag.
Rule 4: The star and crescent is a simple emblem.
Rule 5: This flag is distinctive imo.
Part 2
Emirate of Cyrenaica (1949-1951)
220px-Flag_of_Cyrenaica.svg.png
This technically isn't a flag of Libya, but I'm putting it here because I love it so much.
Libyan Arab Republic (1969-1972)
800px-Flag_of_Libya_%281969%E2%80%931972%29.svg.png
The current has much better colors.
Libyan Arab Republic (1972-1977)
800px-Flag_of_Libya_%281972%E2%80%931977%29.svg.png
This flag has a complex emblem and it's not distinctive. Bad flag.
Socialist People's Libyan Arab Jamahiriya (1977-2011)
Flag_of_Libya_%281977-2011%29.svg
The very last national flag with only one color. Well, green's my favorite color, but I still dislike monocolors.
Part 3
A good flag, certainly better than Libya's past flags.

Flag of Liechtenstein
800px-Flag_of_Liechtenstein.svg.png

Adopted: 5 October 1921 (Liechtenstein's constitution adopted). Crown added on 24 June 1937.
Part 1
Rule 1: A chid could not draw the crown perfectly from memory, but recognizability is more important than perfection (I wonder how many times I've written that)
Rule 2: Red and blue were first used as Liechtenstein's colors by Prince Joseph Wenzel I in 1764, though Liechtenstein only officially adopted a red and blue flag in 1852. The flag was similar to the current, but it had no crown and the stripes were vertical (red was on the hoist side and blue was on the fly side). The Constitution of Liechtenstein (adopted in 1921, still the country's current constitution) established a red and blue horizontal bicolor as Liechtenstein's flag. The blue represents the sky and the red the evening fires that are lit in the houses of the principality.
In the 1936 Summer Olymics the flags of Haiti (which was using its civil ensign) and Liechtenstein were found to be identical. This led to Liechtenstein adding a crown to its flag in 1937. The crown symbolizes the unity of Liechtenstein's people and the fact that Liechtenstein is a principality (Ever sincce the "Princely Initiative" in the 2003 Liechtenstein constitutional referendum passed Liechtenstein's had one of the most powerful monarchies in Europe. The Prince of Liechtenstein can appoint judges dismiss government ministers, veto legislations and call for referendums. However, the citizens of Liechtenstein can at any time abolish the monarchy in a referendum without the result being vetoed by the prince).
Rule 3: Red, yellow, and blue. I neither like or dislike the colors of this flag.
Rule 4: Well, the crown on the flag is rather detailed.
Rule 5: The crown is enough to make the flag distinctive, imo. And it's definitely better than the coat of arms of Haiti. So I'm okay with Haiti removing the coat of arms and Liechtenstein keeping the crown.
Part 2
1719-1852
800px-Flag_of_Liechtenstein_%281719-1852%29.svg.png
This flag is similar to those of Rome and Naples, but those flags are vertical while this flag is horizontl, so I think this flag is distinctive. Either way, I prefer the colors of this flag to those of the current.
1852-1921
800px-Flag_of_Liechtenstein_%281852-1921%29.svg.png
Paris' flag has blue on the hoist side and a 1:1 ratio, so this flag may distinctive. Either way, I prefer the 1719-1852 flag.
1921-1937
800px-Flag_of_Liechtenstein_%281921-1937%29.svg.png
I'd rather Haiti have this flag.
Part 3
It's okay. I prefer the 1719-1852 flag.

Flag of Lithuania
800px-Flag_of_Lithuania.svg.png

Adopted: 19 April 1918 (two months after Lithuanian independence on 16 February 1918). Readopted on 11 March 1990 (declaration of Lithuanian restoration of independence). Current ratio adopted on 8 July 2004.
Part 1
Rule 1: It's a simple tricolor.
Rule 2: The first Lithuanian flags appeared in the Banderia Prutenorum, a 15th century work, which describes the flags used during the 1410 Battle of Grunwald, in which the Kingdom of Poland and the Grand Duchy of Lithuania defeated the Teutonic knights. During that battle, two flags were flown by Lithuania: a minority of regiments, the nobles, used a red banner with the Columns of Gediminas, while most regiments used a red banner with a knight on horseback holding sword and shield, known as the Vytis.
In 1569 Lithuania and Poland would unite to create the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. After the Partitions of Poland Lithuania would be annexed by the Russian Empire. This would last until 1918, when, during WWI, and after the October Revolution, Lithuania declared independence. There was a big debate about what the newly independent state's flag should be, which I'll copypaste since it doesn't interest me enough for me to type it:
Wikipedia said:
It is not known who originally suggested the yellow, green and red, but the idea is usually attributed to Lithuanian exiles living elsewhere in Europe or in the United States during the 19th century. These three colors were frequently used in folk weavings and traditional dress.[2] At the Great Seimas of Vilnius of 1905, this flag was favored over the Vytis banner as the flag of the Lithuanian nation. The Vytis, strongly advocated by Jonas Basanavičius, was not chosen for three reasons: the first was that as part of the drive for national identity, the Seimas wished to distance itself somewhat from the flag of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, which also encompassed now-distinct nations such as Belarus, and Ukraine. The second issue was the choice of the color red by revolutionaries who aligned themselves with Marxist or Communist causes. And finally, the flag with Vytis would be too complicated and could not be easily sewn.[3]

Debates about the national flag occurred again in 1917 during the Vilnius Conference. Two colors, green and red, were chosen based on their prevalence in folk art. Artist Antanas Žmuidzinavičius decorated the conference hall with small red and green flags. However, the delegates did not like the design as it was too dark and gloomy.[3] Then Tadas Daugirdas suggested adding a narrow strip of yellow (to symbolize the rising sun) in between the red (clouds lit up by the morning sun) and green (fields and forests).[4] However, the delegates decided that the matter should be settled by a special commission, composed of Basanavičius, Žmuidzinavičius, and Daugirdas. On April 19, 1918, they submitted their final protocol to the Council of Lithuania. The flag was supposed to be a tri-color (yellow at the top, green in the middle, and red at the bottom) with Vytis in the upper left corner or in the middle.[3] The Council accepted the proposal, but the 1922 Constitution of Lithuania did not include any mention of the coat of arms. It adopted the national flag that is used today. Any of the debates failed to produce a historical flag.[3] Discussions of the national flag continued; its opponents considered gold an inappropriate color, since the combination of yellow, green and red did not follow the existing rules of heraldry. However, no changes were made during the inter-war period.
In the flag, the yellow symbolizes the sun and prosperity, the green the countryside, the forests, liberty, nd hope, and the red, the bravery and blood of those who died for Lithuania.
The new Lithuanian state would fight three wars during its first two years. The first was a war in which Lithuania and German volunteers fought against, and defeated, the Russian SFSR from 1918 to 1919 (after which Lithuania and Soviet Russia signed a peace treaty in which Soviet Russia would recognize the sovereignity of Lithuania, which would be a neutral state that allowed Soviet troops to pass through it during the Polish-Soviet War. The second war was fought in 1919 against the West Russian Volunteer Army (also known as the Bermontians, after its leader, Pavel Bermondt-Avalov), an army made up of Germans and Russian Whites. That war was also won by Lithuania.
The third war was fought between Lithuania and Poland over the Vilnus (in polish, Wilno), region, which included the city of Vilnus, which Lithuania considered its capital. The war ended in Polish victory, and the Republic of Central Lithuania, a Polish puppet state, was created. After the 1922 elections in Central Lithuania Poland annexed the region. After the war Lithuania would consider the city of Kaunas its "temporary capital", while Vilnius was the official capital. During the interwar period, Poland and Lithuania had no diplomatic relations.
After the the Klaipėda Revolt in 1923 Lithuania would gain the Klaipėda region (previously a League of Nations Mandate, and before that the German Memel Territory). During the rest of the interwar period Lithuania would be at peace, though after a coup d'état in 1926 Lithuania would be a dictatorship ruled by Antanas Smetona.
In 1938 Poland, seeking to have Lithuania recognize Vilnius as Polish, delivered an ultimatum to Lithuania in which Lithuania had to establish diplomatic relations with Poland within 48 hours. Lithuania accepted the ultimatum, but still didn't recognize Vilnius as Polish.
On 20 March 1939 Nazi Germany delivered an ultimatum to Lithuania: give up the Klaipėda Region/Memel territory, or be invaded. Thus, Lithuania gave up Klaipėda/Mermel.
After WWII began, and the Soviet Union invaded Poland, the Soviet Union gave Vilnius to Lithuania. In 1940 the Soviet Union invaded and occupied Lithuania, and the Lithuanian flag was banned. After Operation Barbarossa Nazi Germany occupied Lithuania, but after the Soviet Union defeated Germany in Lithuania in 1944, the Soviet Union would occupy Lithuania.
In 1988, during glasnost and perestroika, Sąjūdis, a group which initially supported and discussed Gorbachev's reforms and their implementations. By 1989 the group had become more radical, supporting Lithuanian autonomy within the Soviet Union. After the Baltic Way protests, Sąjūdis began supporting full Lithuanian independence. In the 1990 Lithuanian Supreme Soviet Election in February 1990, the first free elections in Lithuania since 1926, Sąjūdis-endorsed candidates won in a landslide, winning 91 out of 135 seats. This led to the signing of the Act of the Re-Establishment of the State of Lithuania on 11 March 1990, in which the independent State of Lithuania and its constitution (passed in 1938) were re-established. That same date, the Lithuanian Supreme Soviet changed its name to Supreme Council of the Republic of Lithuania, and the flag of interwar Lithuania was restored. However, no independent country recognized Lithuanian independence, and in January 1991 Soviet trops attacked Lithuania, killing 14 people. After independence supporters gathered around the Supreme Council builduing and built anti-tank barricades, Soviet troops withdrew.
Iceland would become the first independent country to recognize the Lithuanian restoration of independence on 11 February 1991. The Soviet Union recognized Lithuanian independence on 6 September 1991.
Lithuania would adopt a new constitution in 1992. In 2004 the ratio of Lithuania's flag was changed from 1:2 to 3:5.
Rule 3: Yellow, green, and red. Coincidentally, the Pan-African colors (this flag was adopted when the only African country using the colors was Ethiopia), which I think are good, if overused.
Rule 5: This flag is identical to other flags, including that of the Colombian department of Bolívar and that of the Danish island of Ærø. It's also pretty similar to the flag of Bolivia, though I can distinguish Lithuania's and Bolivia's flag.
Part 2
Lithuanian SSR (1940-1941, 1944-1953)
800px-Flag_of_Lithuanian_SSR_%281940-1953%29.svg.png
Early Soviet flag were pretty bad.
Lithuanian SSR (1953-1990)
800px-Flag_of_Lithuanian_SSR.svg.png
Green stripe were also in the flags of the Byelorussian SSR, the Moldovan SSR, and the Tajik SSR (and also the flag of the Karelo-Finnish SSR, which only existed from 1940 to 1956).
Part 3
I like the colors, though the flag isn't very distinctive.

Flag of Luxembourg
800px-Flag_of_Luxembourg.svg.png

Ratio: Either 1:2 or 3:5, both ratios are official, interestingly enough.
Adopted: First flag with the colors used in 1830. Design fixed on 12 June 1845. First law regulating the flag passed on 23 June 1972.
Part 1
Rule 1: It's a simple tricolor.
Rule 2: The first flag in Luxembourg (which had been, since the 1815 Congress of Vienna, a Grand Duchy within the German Confederation, whose Grand Duke was the same person as the King of the Netherlands) with red, white, and blue colors was used in the 1830 Belgian Revolution (which led to the First Treaty of London (1839), in which Luxembourg gained full independence (though its Grand Duke and the King of the Netherlands were still the same person) but had to give its western two-thirds to Belgium). The flag of Luxembourg was defined as an horizontal tricolor on June 12 1845. The colors of the flag come from the coat of arms of Luxembourg, which originated in the 13th century (when Luxembourg was a county) and features a red lion with a crown on a field of ten blue and white stripes.
The personal union between Luxembourg and the Netherlands ended in 1890, when the King of the Netherlands and the Grand Duke of Luxembourg, William III, died with only one surviving child, Wilhelmina, who was female. Ever since the 1783 Nassau Familiy Pact (which applied to the parts of the Holy Roman Empire ruled by the House of Nassau (Luxembourg and Nassau, but not the Netherlands, a republic at the time the pact was made) was made, semi-Salic law, under which women could only inherit if there were no living males in the house. Since the Pact did not apply to the Netherlands, Wilhelmina inherited the throne, while in Luxembourg, the Grand Duchy was inherited by Adolphe of the house of Nassau-Weilburg, William III's 17th cousin, once removed.
In June 23 1972 a law regulating this flag was passed. The new law also established the blue on this flag to be very bright, to distinguish this flag from that of the Netherlands.
Rule 3: Red, white, and blue. As I have written many times before, I don't think those are bad colors, but I think they're overused.
Rule 4: This flag has no text or emblems. Not much to say about this.
Rule 5: This flag is pretty similar to that of the Netherlands. I've seen people confuse the two flags, so I'd say this flag isn't distinctive.
Part 2
After checking Wikipedia and flagspot, Luxembourg seems to have no historical flags. In 2006, Michel Wolter, member of the Luxembourgish Chamber of Deputies proposed a flag based on Luxembourg's coat of arms, featuring a red lion with a crown on a field of ten alternating blue and white stripes. The flag was never adopted, though, so I'm not putting it here.
Part 3
This flag is too similar to that of the Netherlands, and besides it's a boring tricolor with an overused color combination. Bad flag.

Flag of a country in Southeast Europe known by some as Macedonia and by other as the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
800px-Flag_of_Macedonia.svg.png

Adopted: 5 October 1995
Part 1
Rule 1: I don't know if a child could draw the exact number of rays in the sun, but recognizability is more important than perfection.
Rule 2: From 1395 to 1912 what is now the country was part of the Ottoman Empire. After the Balkan Wars the place was annexed by Serbia and known as Južna Srbija (Southern Serbia) and Stara Srbija (old Serbia). From 1915 to 1918, during WWI, the territory was occupied by Bulgaria. In 1918 it became part of the new Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes, formed from an union between the newly-founded (and internationally unrecognized) State of Slovenes, Croats and Serbs (previously part of Austria-Hungary) and the Kingdom of Serbia (which, three days before the creation of the new kingdom, merged with the Kingdom of Montenegro). After the treaty of Neilly-sur-Seine (1919) Bulgaria ceded part of its western territory to Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes, and the future country (the country with the naming dispute) would get its current eastern border. In 1929 the name of the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes was changed to the Kingdom of Yugoslavia
During the interwar period, Slavs who were living in the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes/Yugoslavia and in the region of Macedonia were officially considered Serbs speaking a Serbian dialect, though the Macedonian language is linguistically closer to Bulgarian than it is to Serbo-Croatian.
In 1941, during WWII, Yugoslavia was partitioned between the Axis powers. What is now the country with the name dispute was partitioned between Albania (an Italian protectorate and dependency) and Bulgaria. Partisans began fighting against the Axis in the place, though they only began to gain strength in 1943. In 1944 the Anti-Fascist Assembly of the National Liberation of Macedonia proclaimed Democratic Federal Macedonia (renamed to the the People's Republic of Macedonia in 1945), which would be part of the Federal People's Republic of Yugoslavia. For the rest of the war, the Anti-Fascist Assembly of the National Liberation of Macedonia would be the government of the territory, which had a red flag with a yellow outline of a five-pointed star in the center, for the rest of the war. The People's Republic of Macedonia was officially incorporated into the Federal People's Republic of Yugoslavia in 1946. Its flag would change so that the outline of the star was changed to be in the upper hoist side (notably, the flag of the People's Republic of Macedonia would be the only flag of a republic in Yugoslavia to not use the Pan-Slavic colors). After the 1963 Yugoslav Constitution was adopted, the People's Republic of Macedonia's name was changed to the Socialist Republic of Macedonia (and the Federal People's Republic of Yugoslavia's name was changed to the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia).
In 1990 democratic elections were held all across Yugoslavia, including the Socialist Republic of Macedonia. On 16 April 1991 the word "Socialist" was removed from the republic's name.
On 8 September 1991, during the breakup of Yugoslavia, a referendum was held on whether the country should become independent.. Officially, the pro-independence side won with 95.26% of the vote. On 25 September 1991 the Declaration of Independence was adopted by the Macedonian Parliament.
The new state, at first, would keep its old flag from when it was a part of Yugoslavia, but on 11 August 1992 the country would adopt a red flag with a yellow sun with sixteen rays, named the Sun of Vergina, after a town in Greece once known as Aigai, capital of the ancient kingdom of Macedon from its founding in early 8th century BC to 399 BC, where Philip II of Macedon, father of Alexander the Great was assasinated and buried, and where the Sun of Vergina.
Greece did not like the country's new flag, nor its name, seeing it as using its heritage. The newly independent country did not join the United Nations until 1993, when it joined under the name "Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia".
Greece, still not liking the country's flag, imposed an economic blockade to the country in February 1994. In July 1995 Greece requested a trademark for the use of the Vergina Sun to the World International Property Organization in July 1995.
In response, the country changed its flag to one with a yellow sun with 8 rays that extended to the borders of the flag, which had a red field. The sun was based on the "sun of liberty", mentioned in the country's national anthem, Denes nad Makedonija (Today Over Macedonia), whose lyrics were written in 1941. After the country changed its flag, Greece ended the blockade.
Rule 3: Red and yellow. I like the colors of this flag.
Rule 4: The sun is a simpe emblem imo.
Rule 5: This flag is distinctive.
Part 2
Democratic Federal Macedonia (1944-1945), People's Republic of Macedonia (1945-1946)
800px-Flag_of_PR_of_Macedonia.svg.png
Nice flag, though I prefer the current.
People's Republic of Macedonia (1946-1963), Socialist Republic of Macedonia (1963-1991), Republic of Macedonia (1991-1992)
800px-Flag_of_the_SR_Macedonia.svg.png
The placement of the star is rather odd. Still, it's better than the other flags of Yugoslav republics.
1992-1995
800px-Flag_of_the_Republic_of_Macedonia_1992-1995.svg.png
This flag is good, but I think the current is better. Besides, the country shouldn't adopt this flag, given it's pretty controversial. By the way, note the similarities between this flag and that of Greek Macedonia.
Part 3
Pretty good flag. I love it.

Flag of Madagascar
800px-Flag_of_Madagascar.svg.png

Adopted: 14 October 1958 (less than two years before Madagascar's independence on 26 June 1960)
Part 1
Rule 1: It's a simple flag. A child can draw it from memory.
Rule 2: From the middle of the 16th century to 1897 much of Madagascar was ruled by the Merina Kingdom, whose inhabitants spoke Malagasy, an language in the Austronesian language family. The Austronesian languages may have originated in Taiwan, and spread from Madagascar to Hawaii, and are also spoken in Indonesia, the Philippines, and Malaysia.
The flag of the Merina Kingdom, under Queen Ranavalona III (reigned from 1883 to 1897, being the last monarch of the Merina Kingdom) was a white and red horizontal bicolor, which may have had the same symbolism as that of Indonesia's flag, given the people of Madagascar and Indonesia are related.
In 1882 France declared Madagascar was a protectorate. The protectorate was justified by French claims to some islands off the coast of Madagascar and by a letter signed by King Radama II (who reigned from 1861 to his assassination in 1863) that asked France to support a coup d'état against Queen Ranavalona I of the Merina Kingdom, her mother, who reigned from 1828 to 1861. The Malagasy Protectorate's flag was a sideways French tricolor (with blue on top) and red crescent moon on the white (I haven't been able to find what the crescent symbolizes)
Ranavalona II (reigned 1868-1883) and Ranavalona III, the last two monarchs of the Merina Kingdom, along with Rainilaiarivony, their prime minister, did not recognize French claims to the area, and refused to submit to French demands. This led to France occupying Antananarivo in 1895 (in an expedition where on third of French troops died of disease). Rainilaiarivony would be exiled to Algeria, where he died in 1896, while Ranavalona III was allowed to manage internal affairs. After the French capture of Antananarivo a rebellion against corruption and inefficiency, foreigners, and the influence of Christianity. The rebellion was put down in 1897, and Madagascar would be made a colony, the monarchy would be abolished, and Ranavalona would be sent into exile to Réunion, and later, Algiers, where she would die in 1917. The Colony of Madagascar's flag would be identical to France's.
On 28 September 1958 there was a referendum on whether Madagascar would be part of the new French Communityor fully independent. The former option won, and on 14 October 1958 the Malagasy Republic, an autonomous state within the French Community, was founded. That same date, the Malagasy Republic adopted a flag which was white on the white on the hoist side and an horizontal bicolor of red and green on the fly side. The red an white symbolize the Merina Kingdom, which under Ranavalona had a red and white flag, while the green symbolizes the Hova, or commoners, which played a significant part in resistance against the French and in Madagascar's independence.
In 1959 Philibert Tsiranana, Prime Minister of the Malagasy Republic would be elected President of the Malagasy Republic, and the post of Prime Minister would be abolished. This would lead to a year of negotiations between Madagascar and France, which concluded in full Malagasy independence on 26 June 1960.
Rule 3: White, red, and green. I like those colors, though I don't love them.
Rule 5: I think this is distinctive. I don't know of any flag I could confuse it with.
Part 2
Merina Kingdom under Ranavalona III (1883-1897)
800px-Merina_Kingdom_flag.svg.png
Poland's flag was adopted in 1919.
Malagasy Protectorate (1882-1897)
800px-Flag_of_the_Madagascar_Protectorate_%281885-1896%29.svg.png
A good colonial flag, though obviously Madagascar shouldn't readopt it, given it's no longer a French colony or protectorate.
French Madagascar (1897-1958)
800px-Flag_of_France.svg.png
British colonial flags may have been bad, but at least British colonies had unique flags.
Part 3
I don't love this flag, but I don't think it's bad.

Flag of Malawi
800px-Flag_of_Malawi.svg.png

Adopted: 6 July 1964 (Malawian independence). Readopted on 28 May 2012.
Part 1
Rule 1: The sun in the flag has a lot of rays. A child may not draw the number of rays in the flag from memory, but recognizabilitu is more important than perfection (and from what I've been reading on this flag the number of rays isn't really important).
Part 2: The colors of this flag are based on those of the Pan-African flag of the Universal Negro Improvement Association, and those of the Malawi Congress Party, successor of the Nyasaland African Congress (Malawi was known as Nyasaland when it was a British protectorate), a party which led Malawian independence and was the only legal political party from 1966 to 1993, when Malawi was a dictatorship ruled by Hastings Banda, and is still a big party, being the party with the second most seats in the Malawian National Assembly, holding 48 out of 193 seats.
In the flag, the black symbolizes the indigenous Africans, the red the blood of their struggle, and the green, nature. The red sun symbolizes the dawn and hope of the freedom of Africa.
On 29 July 2010, during the presidency of Binga wa Mutharika (president from 2004 to 2012) Malawi adopted a new flag. The positions of the red and black stripes were swapped (so that the colors would be arranged the same way as those of the Pan-African flag's), and the red sun was removed, being replaced by a white centered sun symbolizing the economic progress Malawi has made since independence (though Malawi is still pretty poor, with 50.7% of its population living below the povety line.)
The new flag was unpopular. It was known as "Binga's flag", it was seen as illegitimate and its adoption was seen as indemocratic. There's a story about the 2010 flag I found on flagspot:
Michael Faul said:
It is true that the Malawian flag of 2010 has been replaced by the original independence flag. President Bingu wa Mutharika died on April 2012. The flag change in 2010 was entirely his idea and was never really accepted by the people of the country. This was shown at an international football match between a Malawi team and another African country, soon after the change was made. Some Malawi fans were arrested for trying to enter the stadium, wearing t-shirts with the 1964 flag. They told the policeman that they would accept arrest, provided he also arrested the whole of the Malawi football team, because they were still wearing the former flag on their shirts.
In 2012 Binga wa Mutharika died of a heart attack. He was succeeded by Joyce Banda, his Vice President. After a vote in the National Assembly on 28 My 2012, the old flag was restored.
Rule 3: Black, red, and green. I like the colors of this flag.
Rule 4: The sun is a simple emblem.
Rule 5: This flag is pretty distinctive. It's similar to the flags of Libya and Kenya, but both flags have emblems that make them distinctive.
Part 2
British Central African Protectorate (1893-1907)
800px-Flag_of_British_Central_Africa_Protectorate.svg.png
I do
Nyasaland (1914-1919)
800px-Flag_of_Nyasaland_%281914-1919%29.svg.png
not like
Nyasaland (1919-1964)
800px-Flag_of_Nyasaland_%281919-1964%29.svg.png
British colonial
Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland (a federation of the British protectorates of Nyasaland and Northern Rhodesia (now Zambia) and the colony of Southern Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe)) (1953-1963)
800px-Flag_of_the_Federation_of_Rhodesia_and_Nyasaland.svg.png
flags.
2010-2012
800px-Flag_of_Malawi_%282010-2012%29.svg.png
I prefer the current, and in any case Malawi should never readopt this flag, given its unpopularity.
Part 3
Nice flag, though I think Kenya has the best flag based on the Pan-African flag.

Back