Which of the traditional Five Senses would you rather lose?

Touch, sight and hearing are very important, I would not like to lose those. I heard that when you eat something, 70% of the taste actually comes from the smell of it. Therefore, I prefer losing taste over smell.

Doctor Kirby said:
Hearing, at least then I would have an excuse for not listening. Only downside is I wouldn't be able to listen to music.

What if there was an alarm warning you of something that could potentially kill you like a fire alarm when there's a fire? You wouldn't be able to hear it and it could make the difference of escaping in time or not.

Glitchy said:
Doctor Kirby said:
Hearing, at least then I would have an excuse for not listening. Only downside is I wouldn't be able to listen to music.

What if there was an alarm warning you of something that could potentially kill you like a fire alarm when there's a fire? You wouldn't be able to hear it and it could make the difference of escaping in time or not.

I could smell the smoke and feel the heat and just notice everyone running out. Also, hearing aids.

I already lost one so I skip this.

I'd probably lose hearing. Oh wait. I already did unintentionally. Tbh This is not a good thing to want regardless of the sense.

Doctor Kirby said:
You don't want to hear the lovely voices from you or your loved ones?

And how the hell are you going to drive or play particular video games that require you to listen or watch movies/television without subtitles and without the mood or tone of that movie or how will you realize if you're mispronouncing something and how will you appreciate the natural world of house finches and northern mockingbirds around you?

Striker Mario said:
Doctor Kirby said:

And how the hell are you going to drive or play particular video games that require you to listen or watch movies/television without subtitles and without the mood or tone of that movie or how will you realize if you're mispronouncing something and how will you appreciate the natural world of house finches and northern mockingbirds around you?
Not the guy you're asking for but strangely I should answer that the 1st thing you ask is sorta useful in a way when you have an hearing aid. I CAN literally choose to hear or nor hear. I'd probably turn it off when you hear loved ones arguing. but I turn it on when there's no conflict (Well I have to listen to my family after all).

As for driving I can imagine that being certainly harder. As for videogames I'll probably rely on visual cues. tv or movies hit me the most tho BECAUSE it is hard to get a subbed version of something I actually want to see... it's hard to understand what they say tbh. Warner bros TV removed closed captioning and I haven't been able to watch my favorite comedies. AXN lost them as well. As for cartoon network or nick I mostly make up what they're saying so it's coherent to me tbh. It's so sad to see how a minority that is disabled is excluded. I mispronounce sometimes so I'm corrected. As for bird calls I do have to admit it's hard for me to notice them x.x.

Striker Mario said:
Doctor Kirby said:

Like I said, hearing aids.

My voice is not "lovely".

Sight is more important for driving (you look at the traffic light colors, not hear them) and audio puzzles shouldn't be in video games anyway.

I can ask someone to explain the tv/movie plot to me.

Everybody mispronounces words, so that's not really something to worry about.

For the birds, I'll just look at them.

Okay for the first two, okay. But for the second, people really do seem to not like their own voices, even though we actually hear ourselves as deeper than normal because we hear both the voice coming out of our mouth and the voice in our larynx.

Didn't say that you need hearing more, but you absolutely need to hear what's going around you when you're driving. Like, you hear an ambulance from an intersection, and people generally hear this before you can react. Honking is for alerting purposes. Driving laws, at least in California, forbid the use of both headphones and earbuds for this.

I'm not talking about audio puzzles, I'm talking about games where audio cues are also important. First-person shooters are an example of this, but it isn't strictly limited to them. You hear something beyond that door that corner, you prepare yourself. You hear footsteps behind you, you turn around. In Mario Kart, you hear someone throw a shell, you look behind you.

Well, yeah, but you're not going to enjoy movies and TV shows without closed captioning. You won't be able to fully experience what's going on in the theater. An you can't really watch TV shows or comedies, and the closed captioning often pops up a while after the speech is done for some reason.

Those are all downsides, very major ones, which also includes "not being able to listen to music", which is also a major downer.

Didn't say that you need hearing more, but you absolutely need to hear what's going around you when you're driving. Like, you hear an ambulance from an intersection, and people generally hear this before you can react.
Ok, you got me there. But there is a small white light near the traffic lights, just saying.

Honking is for alerting purposes. Driving laws, at least in California, forbid the use of both headphones and earbuds for this.
Some people abuse honking, I'll just leave it at that.

I'm not talking about audio puzzles, I'm talking about games where audio cues are also important. First-person shooters are an example of this, but it isn't strictly limited to them. You hear something beyond that door that corner, you prepare yourself. You hear footsteps behind you, you turn around. In Mario Kart, you hear someone throw a shell, you look behind you.
Ok, another good point.

Well, yeah, but you're not going to enjoy movies and TV shows without closed captioning. You won't be able to fully experience what's going on in the theater. An you can't really watch TV shows or comedies, and the closed captioning often pops up a while after the speech is done for some reason.

I'll get back to you on that one next time I see a new episode. I'll watch the episode on mute and see if my experiences are different.

Back