Manga coverage: Kodansha's Super Mario

At the very least, I'll mention it. Again, thank you! One last thing, if you don't mind, involving some of the enemies on the group image. I've been going through every enemy, but there are a few that either don't have articles or that I've looked over. Below are the remaining enemies whose image I've yet to upload to the wiki.

mZICgur.png

(I left in the Muncher/Pakkun Flower at the bottom-left because I'm not sure what enemy is above it)

チョッキン - Chokkin - no idea, is the enemy directly above the pakkun flower

バットしゅるけん - Bat Shuruken - probably a misspelled 'Bat Shuriken' imo, is the enemy thats firing a bat looking thing

ボウツ - Bōtsu - ayyy citation on the name found fam, is the fireball

ブー - Bū - is the black blob thing on the right

チクリ - Chikuri - is the small spike ball

ゴロー - Gorō - is the big spike ball, likely comes from ゴロゴロする which means to roll around. Im assuming thats what the enemy does lol

Could probably google these and translate the japanese wikipedia page descriptions for some of them if that would help

GBAToad said:
ボウツ - Bōtsu - ayyy citation on the name found fam, is the fireball
hold tf up

i just checked the japanese wiki page for this and they actually list the name as ボウッ or Bō. looking at the image again i can see why the tsu was given its own character because its still quite large but comparing it to the other ツ's on the page i kinda have to agree with this

I need a second opinion on the romanisation tho

Actually, I just noticed that the projectile the enemy is firing is currently being called Bōtsu by the wiki. See this line: "Similar to how the Mario series featured Bowser statues, this game features bird statues that fire Bōtsu." Of course, the "bird statues" don't have articles. Does that help in any way.

well i havent played the first wario land so idk what these enemies are like but the enemy name given to the bird statue and the thing its firing is Bat Shuriken so unless there's a variation that shoots fire then idk

GBAToad said:
Bat Shuriken
scratch that it is indeed not a spelling mistake and it is called Bat Shuruken

yknow what ill check the japanese wiki in detail later once im not tired

I've used the Japanese Wikipedia page on the enemies in the game for the following information:

バット しゅるけん - Batto Shuruken -> Bat Shuruken
シロップ城に設置されているトラップ。光を発生させると同時にコウモリミサイルを発射してくる。
A trap installed in Syrup Castle. When it emits light, it fires a bat missile at you. (Despite what this says, it does not use the word Shuruken for missile so I would probably not take it as confirmation to call this thing Bat Missile unless you guys are OK with using that conjectural name).

ボウッ - Bō - currently listed as Bōtsu
ストーブ谷に出現する。マリオシリーズのバブルを彷彿とさせるキャラ。
Appears in Stove Canyon. A character that resembles the Bubble [enemy] from the Mario series.

プー - Pū (mispelled it the first time lol) - White puff
正体不明のスライムのような生き物。踏むと膨らんでワリオを真上に飛ばす。『スーパーマリオブラザーズ3』に登場する同名のとは関係ない。
A living object that looks like an unidentifiable slime. When you step on it, it inflates, [making] Wario fly overhead. Not related to the similarly named enemy from Super Mario Bros. 3.

チクリ - Chikuri - Chikuri
壁づたいに動いている電気のタマ。
An electric ball that moves along walls.

ゴロー - Gurō - Spiked Ball
トゲ付きの鉄球
An iron ball covered in spikes.

Chokkin (the enemy we currently have listed as a Muncher) is surprisingly not the name the wiki gives. I'm not sure which one they are since again, I've never played the game, but there is an enemy that is listed as a subspecies of pirahna plants that shoots poison or something. idk lol

now given that this is all sourced from jp wikipedia, none of it is therefore citable on our wiki, but what is citable is the image from the Manga, and jp wikipedia does check out with (most of) the remaining unknown enemy names you've given for that image.

if you want to know what i think then:

MDzXkIa.png

Botsufire.png

this is not a Bōtsu, this is a Bat Shuruken. The image given labels the enemy as Bat Shuruken, and we currently have it listed under Bōtsu.

DCxZYMd.png

Fireballwl.png

this is also not a Bōtsu, this is a Bō (or unless someone wants to correct me on how that would be romanised, because the ending ッ is what I'm having trouble with). The jp wiki lists it under Bō, and I argue that the name given in this image which we've incorrectly translated as Bōtsu could be interpreted the same way.

there you go :ashley:

Reboot said:
Looks like some of these have been deleted from imgur - the Super Mario Land ones, for instance.
That's strange, I am able to view them all.

As a precaution, I have downloaded all the imgur albums and made a backup.

YoshiKong said:
Reboot said:
Looks like some of these have been deleted from imgur - the Super Mario Land ones, for instance.
That's strange, I am able to view them all.

As a precaution, I have downloaded all the imgur albums and made a backup.
Weird, I was getting "This album is empty!" messages on some - but not all - of them earlier, but I can see them now.

I actually asked my twin if the manga is aimed at kids and she said "yeah".

Japan is weird and are different, but considering we're an American wiki, we have different ways of what's weird and different, yeah, keep those things off the wiki lol. All we need is just a summary of what happened, not an actual image with those, uh, details.

Reboot said:
Okay, I'm going through the Super Mario Land adaptation one and some "wuh" images that, at least, merit comment.

I presume we do NOT want the actual scans of naked Mario or Mario imagining throwing a superball up Peach's skirt anywhere near the wiki?
This isn't even the only time you see things like this (there is one volume where Mario is on a cliff, a fish rips his pants off... and it's censored... strange). And also, browsing through the links, I saw Daisy upskirt... so yeah...

This manga is definitely crazy, absolutely ridiculous. It has these characters also explicitly flipping off a few times, and you have what it seems to be Mario embracing a naked Daisy (she's bare).

If there is any reason this wiki seriously needs Mario's gonads on display (like, if it shoots fire or does anything special that merits comment and can't be described without an image) then we'll have to upload it. We're an encyclopedia. Fortunately, that image isn't really necessary aside from "lol check out Mario's penis" so it's a moot issue.

And now, I can't believe I just said "Mario's" and "penis" together.

Yeah, thought not (hence the NOT), but wanted to check.

Striker Mario said:
This manga is definitely crazy, absolutely ridiculous. It has these characters also explicitly flipping off a few times, and you have what it seems to be Mario embracing a naked Daisy (she's bare).
Which one's that from?

Striker Mario said:
If there is any reason this wiki seriously needs Mario's gonads on display (like, if it shoots fire or does anything special that merits comment and can't be described without an image) then we'll have to upload it. We're an encyclopedia.
So SML (v1) page 104, top-right panel is essential in your opinion? :raisedeyebrow:

Reboot said:
Which one's that from?

Striker Mario said:
If there is any reason this wiki seriously needs Mario's gonads on display (like, if it shoots fire or does anything special that merits comment and can't be described without an image) then we'll have to upload it. We're an encyclopedia.
So SML (v1) page 104, top-right panel is essential in your opinion? :raisedeyebrow:
It's one of those Super Mario Land (1 2 or 3) ones, near the end of one volume, just right at the end. Sorry for being vague.

As for your comment I don't think it even needs comment aside from a few words.

If there is something that happens that words cannot describe, then we do have an image.

Otherwise, mere description works, but only if such description is necessary to the plot summary we're supposed to be giving. If you feel like we're describing only because we can and just because of shock, it's not worth mentioning.

Striker Mario said:
If you feel like we're describing only because we can and just because of shock, it's not worth mentioning.
I'll freely admit to working in sentences because I can, though within reason. Case in point:

Time Turner said:
Debt's a Hoot said:
the player can either agree to help, starting the quest, or they can freak out about the talking bird in front of them, causing Hoot to retort that the player is driving around in a shoe.
I live for these moments where I can say something silly and have it accurately reflect part of the plot.

Some questions on the Super Mario Land manga - http://imgur.com/a/BPYbA - not asking for a full translation, just a quick summary...

1) What's the deal with the robot costume Peach wears? I presume it's to do with her being jealous of Daisy, but why is it there, and what does "it" tell Mario it's doing there?
2) What's the deal with the Suu girl from Chapter 3? Does she get a name? Why does she go from trying to kill Peach to helping Mario in the boss fight? Because he saved her? Why does she fade out in the end?

And names:
1) What do they call the goal tower? (pg 31)
2) Do the falling slabs on pg 36/37 get called anyway?
3) Does the kill switch (which looks like a lever here, rather than the button from the game) that kills King Totomusu get called anything? Any suggestion on why it's there? (pg 45/46)

Hi, folks. New member here, resurrecting this dormant thread to ask a question about the two "missing" volumes of KC Mario.

Would anyone be able to point me towards a source of scans for Super Mario 64 volume 5? I managed to find scans of Super Mario World volume 7 but can't for the life of me find anything online for that missing Super Mario 64 volume 5.

Thanks in advance if anyone can chime in with any suggestions!

Back